Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Traxis posted:

Is Taiwanese baseball streamable anywhere? I may need to have it in my life soon.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1263146520645419010?s=20

follow the eleven sports twitter account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
KBO broadcast they are discussing rumors that MLB is considering a 60 games season with expanded playoffs.

At this point obviously a full season isn't gonna happen so sure I'm all for some bizarro high stakes bat poo poo season. Try all sorts of weird random stuff and see how it pans out.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

80 game season with weekly doublheaders lets goooooooooooooooooooooooo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

do a Round Robin Tournament

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1263226506974760962?s=21

:yeshaha: :yeshaha: :yeshaha:
:gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Make sure to wash your hands please

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm still chuckling at Bregman quitting his agency because Lebron James is making a doc about him being a cheater. I'm almost tempted to buy an Athletic sub to read it and get more laughs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Indians/status/1263168068718661635

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still chuckling at Bregman quitting his agency because Lebron James is making a doc about him being a cheater. I'm almost tempted to buy an Athletic sub to read it and get more laughs.

There's honestly not much juiciness to the article itself. Bregman refused to comment and all they have are some affirmations that it's happening from people close to him, one of whom said the decision was because Bregman felt "hurt and betrayed" by being potentially put in a position where the agency representing him was also going to profit off a documentary smearing him.

I will assume given Bregman's history of coming off as a huge dickhead every time he opens his mouth that the irony of "hurt and betrayed" summing up how the vast majority of fans and players felt when it came out he was cheating has never once occurred to him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just really appreciate that Bregman went full villain with this and I think a self righteous feud with Lebron James would be an amazing quarantine distraction.

Lets NBA up this extended MLB offseason.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

STAC Goat posted:

So far it’s a really short blurb. The Baseball 100, however, is still worth it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

In theory the documentary is going to harm Bregman's open market value for his next contract negotiation

That cat's already kind of out of the bag though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

In theory the documentary is going to harm Bregman's open market value for his next contract negotiation

That cat's already kind of out of the bag though

I can definitely see the argument that its actually the logical business move.

Its still funny when the logical business move is quitting your agency because Lebron James bought it and he's working on a doc on how you're a cheater.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One thing the article mentions is that Bregman has escalators in his contract based on MVP finishes, but they don't kick in until 2021 so finishing 2nd in 2019 didn't give him any boost and that other agents are calling that a pretty bad fuckup

e: God I'm just imagining Jim Crane trying to cancel a 2019 escalator if it had been in his contract because of the scandal and basically ruining his relationship with the team

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 21, 2020

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Teams also have advanced talent calculating methods that the public don't have, they aren't dumb enough to be blind to the talent Bregman definitely has because of this scandal. He's still very good even without the cheating

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That may be true but it won't stop teams from trying to use it to negotiate him down

But as I said, it's not like people don't already know about it. It's more personal than business, especially based on what I see in the article

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

STAC Goat posted:

Being a Knight of LeBron has taken on new, glorious meaning.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Watching some old college baseball highlights and I think I came across the most absurd balk call I've yet seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1tdNIPCZ8&t=136s

Further contributing to the nobody knows what a balk is theory.

EDIT: Bonus this game also has a fake bunt home run

Popete fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 21, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well at least they won anyway

It's funny how every balk call gives me a new "I don't understand the balk rule" angle

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is contract arbitration a thing in baseball? I would love for an Astros player to come up for arbitration arguing "I helped win a world series" and the team's response being "yeah, but we cheated and know you're not worth the money"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ilmucche posted:

Is contract arbitration a thing in baseball? I would love for an Astros player to come up for arbitration arguing "I helped win a world series" and the team's response being "yeah, but we cheated and know you're not worth the money"

Yes, after 3 years (I think?) of big league service time contracts are eligible for arbitration. Before that, the club gives the player a contract every year, which they are allowed to either: a) sign or b) no longer play in affiliated baseball. In the arbitration years, the player (and his agent) can invoke arbitration, where each party submits a figure, and an arbitrator decides between one or the other, no half measures. There's usually only a handful of contracts that go to arbitration every year. After 3 years of arbitration the player is a free agent.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sydin posted:

There's honestly not much juiciness to the article itself. Bregman refused to comment and all they have are some affirmations that it's happening from people close to him, one of whom said the decision was because Bregman felt "hurt and betrayed" by being potentially put in a position where the agency representing him was also going to profit off a documentary smearing him..

Does accurately reporting on cheating count as a smear?

I thought that word was more for innocent folks.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Truth is an absolute defense.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
If we're gonna go for crazy playoff scenarios they should invite the NC Dinos to the dance

E: holy poo poo I just realized it's probable that the World Champions of Baseball in 2020 will be a team from outside North America

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 21, 2020

perc2
May 16, 2020

This tweet still cracking me up

https://twitter.com/Marlins/status/1177039392327819267

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brent Honeywell had to have another procedure done on his arm. He had started throwing again in March.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/05/brent-honeywell-rays-elbow-surgery-ulnar-nerve.html

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just want to see MLB hitters getting clowned by a screwball :(

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ilmucche posted:

I could imagine a team trying to use that in free agent contract negotiations, but not during arb, where the decision is made by an outside entity.

Of course, if they DID say that the agent would likely plaster it all over every single sports news outlet there is. I have a feeling players might be avoiding the 'stros and Red Sox for a while, but trying to leverage that cheating into salary contraction as well would be an extremely bad look.

Not only that, but I don't think the Astros, in particular, would own up to what they did that blatantly. Pretty much every organizational answer they've given has been somewhere between "It was these specific staff members and not any of the players" to "We had no idea!" and so to 180 on it like that would be pretty out of character.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Yup, still spectacular.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hope that social media manager got a raise

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ilmucche posted:

I am curious how arbitration would go for Astros players caught up in this considering from what I understand it's pretty rigidly tied to position specific stat comparisons to past players. Has there ever been a player who put up great numbers as a rookie, then tested positive for PED's prior to hitting arb? If so maybe there's a mechanism in place to doc players for past cheating?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ilmucche posted:

One reason Mookie Betts didn't like the Red Sox is that after his MVP season, the team tried to argue in arbitration that he's not as good as everyone thinks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

If the season had happened I think we'd be right around the point where Astros were yelling "FAKE NEWS!" when someone brought up cheating.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress this god damned thread title. I've been driving around all day chanting/singing some version of 'Yub Nub."

Cub cub
Cub nub
Cub yub
Nub cub
Nub nub
Nub yub
Yub cub
Yub nub
Yub yub

All of them have come out of my mouth at some point.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

I am curious how arbitration would go for Astros players caught up in this considering from what I understand it's pretty rigidly tied to position specific stat comparisons to past players. Has there ever been a player who put up great numbers as a rookie, then tested positive for PED's prior to hitting arb? If so maybe there's a mechanism in place to doc players for past cheating?

Springer was asking for $22.5m and the Astros offered $17.5m, they settled at $21.4m so it leaned more toward the player than the team in that situation

Correa also settled at $8m, the rest of the arb cases were with pitchers or players who weren't around (Aledmys Diaz) afaik

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sydin posted:

I just want to see MLB hitters getting clowned by a screwball :(

I think I remember reading that clubs discourage it being thrown now because it has a high injury rate?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think I remember reading that clubs discourage it being thrown now because it has a high injury rate?

That was, if nothing else, a plot point in “Pitch”

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Springer was asking for $22.5m and the Astros offered $17.5m, they settled at $21.4m so it leaned more toward the player than the team in that situation

Correa also settled at $8m, the rest of the arb cases were with pitchers or players who weren't around (Aledmys Diaz) afaik

If they settle on a mid-point salary, they didn't actually go to arbitration. The decision from a hearing has to be one of the numbers, it can't be anything else.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't think it actually does though. I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that it actually produces less stress on the elbow/arm than a normal curveball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

If they settle on a mid-point salary, they didn't actually go to arbitration. The decision from a hearing has to be one of the numbers, it can't be anything else.

I understand that, I just meant that the team apparently didn't feel like the scandal was going to give them a win in arbitration against Springer otherwise he would have had to give more than they did

No hitter involved in the scandal has actually gone to arbitration so who knows with an actual hearing. Osuna lost his case but obviously that's not related