Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Neato!

fwiw, it starts showing up in Icelandic newspapers on January 23, 1976
https://timarit.is/?q=%22wicked+wic...ze=10&sort=date

I actually searched for hrollvekja (horror), too! But only until 1975 :P

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

For some reason I assumed that the white background and pile of stuff composition meant that it was a poster for a comedy. So I was nowhere near finding the actual movie but I did look through a lot of early 70s comedy posters. Now I bring them to you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao at the flaccid shotgun

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Have any two people been painted to look less appealing?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

“Pucker up! Here comes the sweet talker!” Over this absolutely hideous creep is VERY funny.

I just noticed “She’s 17 — I am 51” HOLY MOLY.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 22, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Neato!

fwiw, it starts showing up in Icelandic newspapers on January 23, 1976
https://timarit.is/?q=%22wicked+wic...ze=10&sort=date

I actually searched for hrollvekja (horror), too! But only until 1975 :P

I did the same thing combed through basically the entire year of 1975 with a few different search words.

Maybe it was first shown near the base earlier and didn't reach the national chains until a year later or maybe the original photo was misdated.

The Icelandic title on the ad is "The Murderer of Women"

Here's some Icelandic movie posters (and DVD/VHS covers) throughout the ages:

Agnes Joy (2019)

Drama
Agnes Joy is a teenager in the small town of Akranes. She hates her hometown, she hates school, and her parents marriage is slowly falling apart. Just then a burned-out actor from the city moves in and proceeds to sleep with basically the entire family.

Austur (2015)
Official English title: East of the Mountain
Literal translation: East

"Thriller"
A group of small time criminals abduct and torture a man who is dating the gang leaders ex-girlfriend. Based on true events.

101 Reykjavík
(2000)
e.Reykjavik (they just removed the downtown postal code)

Drama
An unemployed drunk in his 30s lives with his mother and falls in love with her lesbian lover.

Strákarnir okkar (2005)
e. Eleven Men Out
literal: Our Boys

Comedy
When he's forced out of the team for his sexuality a professional football players forms his own gay league.

Myrkahöfðinginn (1999)
e. Witchcraft
literal: The Lord of Darkness

Period drama with horror elements
A 17th century priest believes himself to have been cursed by his enemies.

Húsið (1983)
e. The House

horror
Just read the poster

Boðberi (2010)
e.Messenger

Thriller
Following the financial collapse a disturbed young man puts on a rubber masks and hunts down the demons responsible with a shotgun loaded with human feces.
Then he blows up parliament.

Foxtrot (1988)

Thriller
Brothers Tommi and Kiddi are transporting a large sum of money across the barren black sand wasteland of southern wasteland when they pick up a hitchhiker and eventually all hell breaks loose.

Kona fer í stríð (2018)
e. Woman at War

Drama
One women's personal vendetta against the aluminium industry.

Stella í orlofi (1986)
e.The Icelandic Shock Station
literal: Stella on holiday

Comedy
When her husband is seriously injured just before he has to go on an important fishing trip with a foreign investor (actually a cover for a getaway with his mistress) Stella steps in but accidentally picks up a Danish alcoholic who is in the country seeking treatment thinking he is the investor.

Undir trénu (2017)
e. Under the Tree

Drama/Comedy
A dispute between neighbors over a tree spirals out of control.

International poster:

Reykjavíkur ævintýri Bakkabræðra (1951)
e.The Adventures of the Bakka Brothers in Reykjavik

Comedy
Three very stupid rural bumpkins get into slapstick antics.

Með allt á hreinu (1982)
e. On Top

Musical comedy
A band and their female backup singers have a falling out just before a national tour. The girls form their own band and seek to sabotage the tour.

BlOSSI/810551 (1997)

Painfully 90s road movie
I haven't seen it since it's not available anywhere. Apparently the director is deeply ashamed of it.

Svartur á leik (2013)
e. Black's Game

Thriller
After beating a charge for assault a young man becomes involved in the Icelandic criminal underworld of the late 90s. Loosely based on actual crimes.

International poster:

Note that no guns are fired at any point during the film though a few are used for threatening.

Útlaginn (1981)
e. Outlaw: The Saga of Gísli Súrsson

Period drama
After murdering some people Gísli Súrsson, a Norwegian settler in the late 900s, is declared an outlaw by his enemies and retreats into the wilderness as they try to hunt him down.

Málmhaus (2013)
e. Metalhead

Drama
A teenager living in rural Iceland in the early 90s become increasingly antisocial following the death of her brother.

Börn náttúrunnar (1991)
e. Children of Nature

Drama
An aged farmer coincidentally ends up in the same retirement home as his childhood sweetheart. The two break out, steal a car, and escape back to the countryside where they grew up.

Fúsi (2015)
e. Virgin Mountain
literal: just the main characters name

Drama
The eccentric Fúsi is comes out of his shell.

Hrafninn flýgur (1984)
e. When the Raven Flies

Western/Samurai
A remake of Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars except with vikings. A young Irishman travels to Iceland to murder the chieftains who killed his father and enslaved his sister.

Sódóma Reykjavík (1992)
e. Remote Control
literal:Sodom, Reykjavík

Comedy
A young slacker gets involved in a series of increasingly bizarre events when on a quest to find the remote control for his mother's TV.
international poster:

Síðasti bærinn í dalnum (1950)

Fantasy
Trolls have driven out every farmer in a small valley but one family persists. With the aid of the Elf Queen and a crafty Dwarf the children of the family fight back against the ogres.

Glæpur og samviska (2011)

Honestly no idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDDHoqIlVMQ

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 22, 2020

Wendell
May 11, 2003

A lot of those sound really good, FreudianSlippers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want to see Hobo with a Shitgun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Pretty Cure. It was not made by Akira Toriyama.

It's basically Super Sentai/Power Rangers only with magical girls (with a few elements from Kamen Rider and Dragon Ball thrown in for good measure), I believe they're on the poster together because their respective films at the time just happened to be double billed with one another.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

They will shortly be receiving a letter from Robot Monster's attorney :mad:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Groove Tube is pretty good. I highly recommend it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Blood Quantum rules and so does this poster

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The hell is that

Bikers at night the movie?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CelticPredator posted:

The hell is that

Bikers at night the movie?

is the English title. An eizouken is a "film association," basically. It's a very "all according to keikaku" title.

It's the live action version (possibly the continuation) of an anime about a bunch of girls who make animation as a club activity. The cartoon is a celebration of the art of making cartoons. I have no idea how the live action continues the themes.

They have helmets because in the show at least there are extended sequences where they dive Calvin and Hobbes style into the cartoons they're animating.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 18, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you've been following modern anime you probably know the series already, but if it passed you by it's the newest thing from the person who did kaiba, tatami galaxy, night is short walk on girl, and ping pong: the animation (all of which are worth seeing)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
keep your hands off eizouken! is maybe the best anime ever made but, i very sincerely doubt that a movie can recapture that magic given that its owed to the sublime synergy of animation being both the medium and the subject

https://youtu.be/zWt1ftO_uYo

https://youtu.be/J3WbkC-D8kU

https://youtu.be/PddceZ_V124

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
as a coda: if you havent ever watched anime, or dont really care about it at all, severe disinterest, apathy, disregard, etc., eizouken is absolutely worth watching. it wont teach you to love all the garbage that covers the anime landscape but it might be the pinnacle of the medium, a masterpiece that can easily win over even the most skeptical. its really sincerely that good. just watch the clips i posted.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Those clips are absolutely charming and fill me with doubt that a live action film can match it at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Boðberi (2010)
e.Messenger

Thriller
Following the financial collapse a disturbed young man puts on a rubber masks and hunts down the demons responsible with a shotgun loaded with human feces.
Then he blows up parliament.

As you do.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

keep your hands off eizouken! is maybe the best anime ever made but, i very sincerely doubt that a movie can recapture that magic given that its owed to the sublime synergy of animation being both the medium and the subject

https://youtu.be/zWt1ftO_uYo

https://youtu.be/J3WbkC-D8kU

https://youtu.be/PddceZ_V124
I like that guy's other films, looks like it's available for streaming on crunchyroll.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need to find a higher resolution copy so I can study whatever the gently caress happened to Aaron Paul's face in greater detail.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought Tom Bergenger died years ago and I have no idea why.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

EL BROMANCE posted:

I need to find a higher resolution copy so I can study whatever the gently caress happened to Aaron Paul's face in greater detail.

It's slipping off his head

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is anyone getting any kind of romantic vibe from this? Seems like she's smiling to not let on that she's fumbling through her purse for some mace.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

EL BROMANCE posted:

WHO THE HELL IS TRYING TO NAME THIS MOVIE???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_(film)

From 2013? Movie poster uploaded to imdb yesterday?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Guessing it filmed in 2013 and sat on a shelf until someone bought the distribution rights

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder where the rest of him went, because that head is not connected to that body.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Given the angle of her lean, I'm curious what's going on below the waist.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Harlock posted:

Guessing it filmed in 2013 and sat on a shelf until someone bought the distribution rights

Yeah, so much in the new releases piles I'm seeing is shelved stuff that suddenly is getting air because the schedules are empty.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm curious what's going on below the waist.

I don't think it's that kind of movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, so much in the new releases piles I'm seeing is shelved stuff that suddenly is getting air because the schedules are empty.

Oh hey maybe City of Lies will finally get a wide rel-hahahahahahahaha jk

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

WHO THE HELL IS TRYING TO NAME THIS MOVIE???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_(film)

From 2013? Movie poster uploaded to imdb yesterday?

So... going by those names I’m guessing he’s quadriplegic? If so wowee those are some tasteless-rear end names.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That lady must be really short too. Isn't Aaron Paul like 5'1"? Or maybe he's standing on a crate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

5'8" according to the internet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The show American Dad had a gag years ago where there was a TV show on there called 'Mind Quad', with a quadriplegic man who has telepathic abilities and solves crimes. Maybe this is the real-life adaptation?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

teagone posted:

That lady must be really short too. Isn't Aaron Paul like 5'1"? Or maybe he's standing on a crate.

That's probably why he looks hosed up, I bet they were closer and some designer was like 'make him taller!' and then they had to rotate his face to make the eyelines work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

teagone posted:

It looks like they chopped his head off and placed it atop someone else's body.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

anime is bad but that eizouken series is pretty good, thanks for the rec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Slightly off topic and I might get poo poo for it, but is Aaron Paul a good actor?

I've watched Breaking Bad and thought he was okay in it, but I seem to remember thinking he was a little melodramatic. So is he good or can he just cry convincingly?