Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
2011 Ford Edge with the capacitive My Ford Touch buttons:

(not my pic)

Recently the system has been registering phantom button clicks, but only for turning the temperature up. This seems weakly influenced by changes in incident light level against that part of the panel (the lower left, not shown).

They're capacitive buttons, not physical switch or button controls, any idea for quick fixes or, if this is not possible, the best way to disable/desensitize the controls? I don't change temperature nearly enough to put up with it popping up to MAX heat all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Maybe there is debris in there. When working on a touch design, all kinds of things could change the response. Finicky poo poo and it was not fun to make reliable. Possibly there is a calibration procedure.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
IIRC there were some MAJOR problems with those systems. You might be able to take it in to get a software upgrade or something:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-agrees-to-settle-myford-touch-lawsuit.shtml

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Edit: well I'm an idiot. The problem wasn't the car, the problem was the multimeter. The battery was beyond drained. Move along goons, nothing to see here.

Oh god we had an alligator clip test lead with a wire broken inside the insulation at work, I'm not bad at that stuff and our electrician has been doing it for 40 years and it took us all morning to figure out that one.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I bought a Nevada vehicle and im registering it in CA so im getting new plates. Can I get away with not putting on a front license plate since the front bumper doesn稚 have any screws or holes drilled in it to mount one?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You have to add a mount to be legal if the state requires a front plate as far as I know. Some people just accept missing plate tickets as a cost of keeping their car unmolested.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ChocNitty posted:

I bought a Nevada vehicle and im registering it in CA so im getting new plates. Can I get away with not putting on a front license plate since the front bumper doesn稚 have any screws or holes drilled in it to mount one?

It's not worth the 200 dollar ticket, and supposedly CA enforces it. FWIW I never put my front plate on my car in Texas and have been driving it for 6 years and haven't got a ticket yet. I'm just too lazy to buy the 45 dollar bracket.

Save yourself a headache though and buy the mounting bracket and install it and put the front plate on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ChocNitty posted:

CA is a big state and enforcement varies a lot. My friend never puts the new stickers on his plate 🤷🏻‍♂️ Basically it's a combination of luck, skin color and what kind of car it is.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

FWIW I see a bunch of folks around these parts without front plates and would guess maybe 20% of people get the ticket for it. It's no joke though as it's a $197 ticket minimum. They usually don't pull you over just for that unless they don't like you for whatever reason, but if you get pulled over for speeding or something else they'll probably tack on the no front plate ticket too.

https://www.ticketsnipers.com/ticket/cvc-5200-license-plate-display-failure

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I see people around here with front plates on their dash, I have no idea if that is considered acceptable, but it is South Dakota so probably fine as long as you are white.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can probably find after market brackets that you can attach without drilling into bodywork. I see a lot of brackets that screw into the tow hook holes. Or maybe that's just a German car thing?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Charles posted:

Basically it's a combination of luck, skin color and what kind of car it is.

I didn稚 want to go here, but yeah a big reason I致e never been pulled over for no front plate is I知 a middle aged white guy driving a Ford Taurus.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A freak coincidence with someone having the exact same make, model, color and mostly license plate led to the police knocking on my door. When it turned out there was a mistake where "P" was said instead of "T" they suggested I put a front plate on when they left.

E: This is in california

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 20, 2020

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I ordered a couple Monroe quick struts for my wife's car from RockAuto, and they came in today. However, there are 3-4 loose ball bearings in the box, and one of the struts had some damage to its individual box. Looking at the strut, it seems solid, but I'm not sure where these ball bearings would have come from.

In the box shipped were two struts and two shocks.

Any ideas?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

the balls are stored in the shock

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Strut bearings would be my guess. I don稚 think I壇 chance it with those.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I went ahead and requested a replacement part from RockAuto. They're not requiring me to ship it back, so that's nice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChocNitty posted:

An option that's not exactly legal but seems more likely to get leeway from cops is something like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOQN_9_F9G0/

It's a vinyl sticker made from a scan of the real plate, just shrunk down to fit entirely within a reasonable location on his car. Still clear and legible.

The guy whose picture I linked is a well known auto journalist based near LA who's said he asked a bunch of cops he knew about this. They all told him it's definitely not legal by the letter of the law but it's a neat compromise within the spirit of the law so they wouldn't give anyone poo poo for it if they even noticed it at all. Obviously I'm sure the usual factors apply and if they want to stop you they'll still do it, but it's closer to legal than on the dashboard.

Another option on some vehicles would be one of those mounts that threads in to a tow hook hole, if your vehicle has one of those.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I have a 1990 F-250 diesel. The batteries have an extremely low charge. When I plug them into the charger, I keep getting a "WRONG" message on the display. Not very helpful. When I switch the charger from 12V mode to 6V mode, they seem to charge. Is this dangerous? When I plug them in the voltmeter puts them at around 2.5V.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How do they do when spilt?

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

How do they do when spilt?

The batteries have been removed from the truck and I wanted to charge them separately. So all of that information is from 1 battery.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I have a 1990 F-250 diesel. The batteries have an extremely low charge. When I plug them into the charger, I keep getting a "WRONG" message on the display. Not very helpful. When I switch the charger from 12V mode to 6V mode, they seem to charge. Is this dangerous? When I plug them in the voltmeter puts them at around 2.5V.

Do you charge them separately or in parallel?
Most battery chargers will do some voltage measurements to see if a battery will take charge.
If batteries are very tired and discharged a lot of chargers won't start charging. You can trick a charger to charge a battery like that by hooking up a good (or at least better) battery in parallel. After a while the battery you're trying to charge will have enough in it to be charged normally and you van remove the extra battery then.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Do you charge them separately or in parallel?
Most battery chargers will do some voltage measurements to see if a battery will take charge.
If batteries are very tired and discharged a lot of chargers won't start charging. You can trick a charger to charge a battery like that by hooking up a good (or at least better) battery in parallel. After a while the battery you're trying to charge will have enough in it to be charged normally and you van remove the extra battery then.

I worded it a little poorly but the batteries are out of the truck and I'm trying to charge them separately. I do have an extra battery and I could try that. However, my charger has a 6V setting and that seems to work. It at least doesn't give me the "WRONG" message. Would it be dangerous to use that setting?

Edit: also could someone please tell me how parallel/series works with car batteries :)

Big Dick Cheney fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 21, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I worded it a little poorly but the batteries are out of the truck and I'm trying to charge them separately. I do have an extra battery and I could try that. However, my charger has a 6V setting and that seems to work. It at least doesn't give me the "WRONG" message. Would it be dangerous to use that setting?

Edit: also could someone please tell me how parallel/series works with car batteries :)

Short answer (and I know someone will also chime in) if your two batteries were wired in series, it would result around 24 volts or so.

In parallel, you get same voltage (so around 12 for what most cars are happy with) but more amperage for starting in tough conditions (which a diesel requires.)

edit: And just to add my wild rear end guess without how old they are, they are probably toast given the voltage. Not up on how Ford does an isolator between batteries. But to me, sounds like one pushed up daisies and dragged the other one with it.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 21, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Charging with 6v won't hurt the battery, but it won't charge it.

This is how series/parallel works:

Only double the values in the images, so 12v/24v instead of 6v/12v

Your truck will have parallel batteries, since only semi trucks and other big stuff has 24v systems.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 21, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Charging with 6v won't hurt the battery, but it won't charge it.
It might even hurt the charger if it isn't a very good one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I have many diesel Land Cruisers I deal with, all with dual batteries, some with your typical 12v electric system (like any car) but the others have 24v electricals.

The batteries are identical between the two, you can swap them back and forth between the 12v and 24v system as the wiring in the vehicle is what makes the system 24v. Lots of times the batteries will be dead when we get them, but you just pop em out and charge them separately. They are just standard automtive batteries. Or if I gotta replace them I just go to Costco and get replacements.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks for the help everyone. The charger went from "WRONG" to "BAD" so I guess I just need new batteries.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Thanks for the help everyone. The charger went from "WRONG" to "BAD" so I guess I just need new batteries.

Yeah, won't be cheap.

Get a hold of a multimeter and check charging voltage with truck running at least when you get new ones. Last thing you need is a lovely alternator to tank them again.

edit: And look around for 20% off coupons online and pick up in store. Takes some of the bite out of it.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 22, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

2005 Cadillac Escalade / GMT800. 108k miles. Well maintained.

I noticed some looseness in the front end the past few months. Felt like I needed to grease the joints. I never got around to doing that.

Lately, when I back out of my driveway with the wheel at full lock to the right, when I shift to drive and straighten the wheel, the left front wheel feels like it kinda "flops" back into place. When I first felt it, I would have sworn it was low tire pressure, that's exactly what it feels like. But tire pressures are fine.

It's cold and I'm lazy. Weak google search doesn't show a common problem, so what's the thoughts on what I'm looking at? Simple as tie rod ends, or something stupid like ball joints that require control arm replacement?

Stupid question thread, stupid problem, stupid solution.

This thing has a ton of serviceable joints. I think I greased like 13 at last count.

Well, since I got it in 2016, I've missed two -- the lower ball joints. I checked above and below, but didn't see a fitting. I never looked on the back side. There's a fitting there. Probably well out of grease and probably allowed a lot of wear. But, I pumped 'er full and it seems to have made a significant difference. If this was the source of my problem all the while, I'll be pissed at myself, but happy to have finally found it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had to charge my hybrid's AGM 12v battery. I'm doing it at 2A because my charger is 2/6 and the battery says not to charge at over 5A, so it takes a while. I took it off the charger last night because it's a HF charger and I don't trust it not to let the magic smoke out overnight and burn my house down, checking voltage this morning the battery is at 12.8. Checking the voltage of a fully charged battery because I keep forgetting the top range, it looks like ~12.7 for a battery not currently being charged or with the car running is supposed to be the top end. But last night, the charging light was still showing that it wasn't fully charged. Do AGM batteries have a different peak than traditional batteries?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had to charge my hybrid's AGM 12v battery. I'm doing it at 2A because my charger is 2/6 and the battery says not to charge at over 5A, so it takes a while. I took it off the charger last night because it's a HF charger and I don't trust it not to let the magic smoke out overnight and burn my house down, checking voltage this morning the battery is at 12.8. Checking the voltage of a fully charged battery because I keep forgetting the top range, it looks like ~12.7 for a battery not currently being charged or with the car running is supposed to be the top end. But last night, the charging light was still showing that it wasn't fully charged. Do AGM batteries have a different peak than traditional batteries?

You don't just measure voltage to determine state of charge, but the charger monitors how much current the battery is accepting.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUoU_battery_charging

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. I plugged it back in and I'll give it another while. I don't drive this car often (hence needing to charge it) so I'd like to have it completely full when I put it in. Especially since driving it once in a while will probably need to be running for groceries or something rather than just around the block, since hybrids apparently take longer to charge and the accessories run off the 12v when the engine is off, so just letting it idle in the driveway is counter-productive.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a 2009 Ford Edge SE and is making this clunking noise on the passenger front side of the vehicle. It is some how correlated with the steering and/or suspension of the vehicle. I can turn the steering wheel hard, while going 5/10 MPH, and get this clunking noise coming from the passenger side.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_xM09jWPTQUjfYQcX8TwXCsNCBL7WtJq

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

SlayVus posted:

I have a 2009 Ford Edge SE and is making this clunking noise on the passenger front side of the vehicle. It is some how correlated with the steering and/or suspension of the vehicle. I can turn the steering wheel hard, while going 5/10 MPH, and get this clunking noise coming from the passenger side.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_xM09jWPTQUjfYQcX8TwXCsNCBL7WtJq

broken sway bar link

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
1973 240z sat for 10 years.
Replaced fuel system and carbs.

The current problem; when started the car idles at wide-open throttle.
Butterfly adjustment screw seems to have no effect.

No, the choke isn't on and the butterflies seem closed when not running.

How is this possible?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
One gently caress of a giant vacuum leak?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wesleywillis posted:

One gently caress of a giant vacuum leak?

That was my thought. Air has to come in somewhere, and if the butterflies are shut, welp.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I need to restore my headlights as they're pushing the limit of legal here. Am I going to be safe using a random orbital sander while they're still on the car, masked off, or do I need to fully remove them? I've looked at the removal procedure and it's a pain in the rear end.

The headlights look like this (not my car, but same era):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Leaving them on the car seems really common, but I took mine out (it's easy to do on my car so why not?)