Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

pmchem posted:

what's the deal with marauders, are they broken too?

the last few games I've played, a great khan never spawned. the AIs nearby just killed the marauders off anyway.

In all my playtime I have seen the Khan spawn exactly twice and War in Heaven never. I sometimes wish I could push a button to manually trigger these events because midgame is fuckin stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think attacking and partially destroying one of the marauder empires makes the great khan much much more likely to happen, similar to partially conquering a stagnant fallen empire, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Captain Invictus posted:

I think attacking and partially destroying one of the marauder empires makes the great khan much much more likely to happen, similar to partially conquering a stagnant fallen empire, right?

Yes. Every time one of the Marauder Empires loses one of their "habitats", there's a chance for them to spawn the Khan. Same with killing off a Fallen Empire, doing that gives a chance for another FE to awaken.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zurai posted:

Same with killing off a Fallen Empire, doing that gives a chance for another FE to awaken.

Killing off a Fallen Empire (or even just taking one planet) guarantees other FEs will awaken; it's only a matter of time after that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I don't think I've ever had a game where the Khan did not awaken and wind up taking 1/5-1/4 of the galaxy.

I did enjoy the pacifist empire who was being gobbled up by the Khan, whose fleets were getting dumpstered, vote down the Galactic Resolution to focus on the Khan.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

HelloSailorSign posted:

I don't think I've ever had a game where the Khan did not awaken and wind up taking 1/5-1/4 of the galaxy.

I did enjoy the pacifist empire who was being gobbled up by the Khan, whose fleets were getting dumpstered, vote down the Galactic Resolution to focus on the Khan.

"We're not loving kidding about this ethos!"

Gotta respect a genuine committed pacifist though. It's all fun and games normally but if you can hold to it when the space mongols arrive that's something else.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

And Tyler Too! posted:

In all my playtime I have seen the Khan spawn exactly twice and War in Heaven never. I sometimes wish I could push a button to manually trigger these events because midgame is fuckin stale.

There's a mod for that, here

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

CommunityEdition posted:

How is it possible that this game makes me miss the CK2 UI? I get notified every time a slave of my species goes up for auction or a essentially featureless envoy dies and is automatically replaced with an identical featureless “leader”, but not when a colony tips to zero population growth from over crowding? And the overview pane, dear god the overview pane, is there no way to not have everything crammed into one long slider bar list so I have to choose between neglecting my colonies neglecting my fleets? No way to not have the fleet manager scrunch the fleet list itself into a business card grid?
Paradox games have a long history of silly notification settings. At one point Europa would give you a popup and pause when one nation cancelled a a royal marriage with a third one, but only give you a small icon to expand when they declared war on you.

Stellaris notifications don't seem to be modifiable the same way though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I feel the same way about the planetary designations. The ones for basic resources boost your output, but for alloys, etc, they just lower your upkeep. I guess you could say that's kinda the same thing, but it doesn't really feel like it. If I'm dedicating an entire planet to one industry, I want to see something more than a slight reduction in building speed ( :downs: ) and lower upkeep - gimme a good output boost and maybe a reduction in the special resource costs for T2 and T3 buildings or something like that!
Yeah it's a bit weird that "Industrial World" and "Forge World" both actually mean "bonus minerals"

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

Just “finished” my first game in year 2480 in a stalemate with a Contingency that showed a bewildering lack of urgency even after my entire fleet got stuck on the other side of the map by a awakened empire with closed borders and an urgent need to annex the wormhole home. Sorry, but I need to rant:

How is it possible that this game makes me miss the CK2 UI? I get notified every time a slave of my species goes up for auction or a essentially featureless envoy dies and is automatically replaced with an identical featureless “leader”, but not when a colony tips to zero population growth from over crowding? And the overview pane, dear god the overview pane, is there no way to not have everything crammed into one long slider bar list so I have to choose between neglecting my colonies neglecting my fleets? No way to not have the fleet manager scrunch the fleet list itself into a business card grid?

It doesn't like much, but TinyOutliner is a mod I couldn't imagine playing without now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i bought this with Utopia during the sale, and i have a couple of questions about Envoys

1) my envoy died of old age. he can't be replaced. wtf!
2) i researched some building, or something, that said it creates 1 Envoy in the tooltip. but i can't find this building anywhere! wtf!!
3) some jackass brought his lovely tiny rear end vassals into my federation and they're causing policy friction even though the federation law is No Vassal Membership. wtf!!!
4) no seriously i'm pretty pissed with this guy is there a penalty if i kick him out and erase him from the history of the universe or what

oh also i'm at the point in the tech tree where everything costs 50,000+n*5000 and gives 5% boosts to everything, is this the end of the tech tree or will i eventually break free and reach a new, hidden layer of technologies because i haven't even hit the midgame crisis yet and i don't think i could bear Next Turning this poo poo the way i do in Civ for another couple hundred years until the endgame crisis hits

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 21, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The White Dragon posted:

i bought this with Utopia during the sale, and i have a couple of questions about Envoys

1) my envoy died of old age. he can't be replaced. wtf!
2) i researched some building, or something, that said it creates 1 Envoy in the tooltip. but i can't find this building anywhere! wtf!!
3) some jackass brought his lovely tiny rear end vassals into my federation and they're causing policy friction even though the federation law is No Vassal Membership. wtf!!!
4) no seriously i'm pretty pissed with this guy is there a penalty if i kick him out and erase him from the history of the universe or what

oh also i'm at the point in the tech tree where everything costs 50,000+n*5000 and gives 5% boosts to everything, is this the end of the tech tree or will i eventually break free and reach a new, hidden layer of technologies because i haven't even hit the midgame crisis yet and i don't think i could bear Next Turning this poo poo the way i do in Civ for another couple hundred years until the endgame crisis hits

1 envoys just automatically replace themselves. they're basically a nonentity right now.

2 the embassy building can only be built on your homeworld.

3 don't join federations unless you're gonna dominate it wholesale because AI feddie buddies suck hard

4 when in doubt, kill them all.

when you're getting nothing but repeatables, outside of specific events giving you new techs to research, you're in the end of the tech tree. that said, you'll need them for the endgame crisis, unless it's at default strength which is generally a total pushover.

what game speed do you play at? I always play at Fastest and pause when I need to do stuff, which tends to make games go by, well, a good bit faster.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 21, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cool thanks.

i figured, i play civ at marathon, i'll play this at a fairly slow pace too. maybe that was a mistake but i feel like i'm currently in a good position to handle whatever the endgame crisis actually IS by the time it gets here as long as i keep going on my current trajectory. they could show up in the middle of my empire and i'd probably be okay, but only because at my current rate of capturing my claims by rotating between four fronts to time out their 10yr peace treaties, it'll take an rng miracle for it to NOT spawn within my territory :v:

so when will my envoy automatically respawn? i should have four (2 base, 1 from the unity policy, 1 from federation) but i've only had three for a couple decades now

e: oh Game Speed i started on normal in the first decade, fast in the second, and now i've been on fastest for a while now. midgame crisis should be Soon(tm) so i've been mustering a couple local fleets to prepare for it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 21, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The White Dragon posted:

Lots of people declare victory here and start a new game.

For your next game consider:
1) Moving forward the midgame, endgame, and game over dates
2) Raising tech costs
3) Raising difficulty

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh ok so the endgame in paradox strategy games is more whenever you get tired of it rather than fulfilling a victory condition? i can live with that but i'd like to see (and win against) an endgame crisis faction at least once lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Or when you eradicate all other life in the galaxy

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Or when you eradicate all other life in the galaxy

If by eradicate you mean "force them to live a life of luxury whether they like it or not" then yes. Rogue Servitors are such a goofy concept but I love it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

oh ok so the endgame in paradox strategy games is more whenever you get tired of it rather than fulfilling a victory condition? i can live with that but i'd like to see (and win against) an endgame crisis faction at least once lol

Yeah the only "real" victory condition is having the highest score on some arbitrary date. The endgame crises are all fun to play against and beat but it's not guaranteed that one will spawn (which I think is a flaw, I always want a midgame, endgame, and War in Heaven crisis)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah the only "real" victory condition is having the highest score on some arbitrary date. The endgame crises are all fun to play against and beat but it's not guaranteed that one will spawn (which I think is a flaw, I always want a midgame, endgame, and War in Heaven crisis)

Technically they're not guaranteed before the end point, but the prethoryn should show up eventually. https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Crisis#Crisis_triggers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wish whatever was chasing the Prethoryn actually showed up eventually.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It’s been almost a decade since I’ve had a positive thought about Sword of the Stars, but I’m starting to miss their shipbuilder, tech tree, and combat system. Inertia! Multiple types of mines! Sectional damage! Species differentiation! Turret fire arcs! Which is unfortunate, since the own-fart-huffers at Kerberos have been dead to me since sots2

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Would it really be that difficult to have basic ship templates for the ai to use - like don't combine low damage, shield and armour ignoring disruptors with other weapons on the same ship?

This really feels like something that shouldn't have to be modded in.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I wish whatever was chasing the Prethoryn actually showed up eventually.

They're being chased by our previous saves.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

CommunityEdition posted:

It’s been almost a decade since I’ve had a positive thought about Sword of the Stars, but I’m starting to miss their shipbuilder, tech tree, and combat system. Inertia! Multiple types of mines! Sectional damage! Species differentiation! Turret fire arcs! Which is unfortunate, since the own-fart-huffers at Kerberos have been dead to me since sots2

This post made me go and look on their forums to see what Kerberos are doing now, and they're now making an FPS based on The Pit, the roguelike they did after the failure of SOTS2. I think they've accepted no-one will give them money for a 4X again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They've been doing small scale profitable games ever since SotS 2. The Pit is apparently really good if you like Roguelikes and there's a ton of expansions for it. Pit Infinity is probably the most polished game they've ever made (other than the basically perfect SotS 1) is legit fun in coop. Ground Pounders would have been awesome if it hadn't been a mobile port. That one is probably the sadest missed opportunity since SotS 2 not having a skirimish spinoff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

This post made me go and look on their forums to see what Kerberos are doing now, and they're now making an FPS based on The Pit, the roguelike they did after the failure of SOTS2. I think they've accepted no-one will give them money for a 4X again.
There was some talk of a SotS1 polished rerelease but that never went anywhere

e: holy poo poo the thread is still active. There's a change.org petition

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55778&start=1260

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 22, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I might be an omnicidal space fashie lunatic but at least I didn't declare LITERAL loving SPACE WHALES as vermin. Also they passed the capitalist Deregulation thing, and didn't pass the Charter of Workers Rights.

:wtf: Galactic Senate?

Even if I wasn't going to already murder all of you, I'm sure as hell going to now...

E: Does anyone know why the game is so hilariously bad at auto-designating colony type? It's never even right accidentally. I'm not even asking in a "Lol, Paradox" way either: in a technical sense I would have legitimately thought that this sort of thing (1. figure out what districts are present or under-construction, 2. set that to the colony type) would be p.easy?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 22, 2020

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sots1 was actually an extremely good "lite" 4X games which had some very good and interesting mechanics, and then rather than just making a better Sots1 on a new engine for Sots2, tried to do some wierd... faster than light communications... milsim... poo poo, where the game was essentially unplayble.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've noticed the game will often set my colony type to whatever district-type I had build first. So because I often put up an energy district and a city district first, to give the colony a bit room to grow and neutralize energy costs ( :lol: of course not, it's because I'm roleplaying, and making sure your citizens have houses to live in and electricity is important to the colonists) and it always, always makes the colony a Generator planet later.

Even if by then I've built up tons of heavy industry, it's baffling.

But sometimes something really odd happens like one of my planets suddenly being declared a refining colony even though there's not a single refinery on it and never was. So who the hell knows, the AI is insane

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My Determined Exterminators started just a few jumps away from the Tiyanki home system. Easiest energy/gas I ever made. Also lol at VLUUR, dude's a void cloud and that 33k fleet strength got chumped by some missiles and strike craft. It is nice that it's a thing though, void clouds are few and far between and doing a disruption run hinges on getting cloud lightning, at least this one comes to you.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Libluini posted:

I've noticed the game will often set my colony type to whatever district-type I had build first. So because I often put up an energy district and a city district first, to give the colony a bit room to grow and neutralize energy costs ( :lol: of course not, it's because I'm roleplaying, and making sure your citizens have houses to live in and electricity is important to the colonists) and it always, always makes the colony a Generator planet later.

Even if by then I've built up tons of heavy industry, it's baffling.

But sometimes something really odd happens like one of my planets suddenly being declared a refining colony even though there's not a single refinery on it and never was. So who the hell knows, the AI is insane

For whatever reason all of mine end up as Refinery Planets. I legitimately don't even know what I'd use a refinery planet for (I just get my V.Motes from mines, I never build Chemical Plants or whatever). But every loving one of my planets ends up designated like that? Maybe it's some weird mod interaction?

Also they should just default to "Colony" for the first 5 pops (in fact, diegetically I'm not even sure you should have a setting below 5: it's a new colony so they aren't going to be doing a lot of division of labor stuff that early?)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drone_Fragger posted:

Sots1 was actually an extremely good "lite" 4X games which had some very good and interesting mechanics, and then rather than just making a better Sots1 on a new engine for Sots2, tried to do some wierd... faster than light communications... milsim... poo poo, where the game was essentially unplayble.
SotS1 is a thread favourite. The only reason I'm not still playing it is the battle transition bug. If they fixed that and literally nothing else I'd rebuy at full price.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Drone_Fragger posted:

If I remember the drama as it was unfolded right, a large part of SotS2 being SotS2 is that studio owner Mecron was an insane libertarian with a ~VISION~

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Haven't heard of Kerberos in a long time but remember the drama of sots 2, what a shame.

Still, what is the best space 4x game for the thread, excluding Stellaris?

Mine, Distant Worlds

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

benzine posted:

Haven't heard of Kerberos in a long time but remember the drama of sots 2, what a shame.

Mine, Distant Worlds

Aurora.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

benzine posted:

Mine, Distant Worlds

Endless Space / ES2

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Did the difficulty get ramped up recently? The last 5-6 games I've played have chronically had AIs with fleet power be superior or overwhelming even if I dedicate myself to constantly being at or above my naval cap and maxing it out. Every game seems to end with an agressive AI stomping me with a fleet twice my size, even though I seem to have more planets/resources, have Supremacy finished, and catch them at a station reinforced choke point.

I'm only on Admiral and I don't remember it being this rough. I'm selling every available resource I have to buy more alloys too. It seems like since they took away rhe Encourage Growth decision, and put Nutritional Plentitude behind a tech, it rskes forever to get my economy going.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

LogisticEarth posted:

Did the difficulty get ramped up recently? The last 5-6 games I've played have chronically had AIs with fleet power be superior or overwhelming even if I dedicate myself to constantly being at or above my naval cap and maxing it out. Every game seems to end with an agressive AI stomping me with a fleet twice my size, even though I seem to have more planets/resources, have Supremacy finished, and catch them at a station reinforced choke point.

I'm only on Admiral and I don't remember it being this rough. I'm selling every available resource I have to buy more alloys too. It seems like since they took away rhe Encourage Growth decision, and put Nutritional Plentitude behind a tech, it rskes forever to get my economy going.

They fixed a bug where the AI wouldn't increase the size of its starbases when it was at its fleet cap. This meant their fleets were limited at a far smaller size than they should've been. People've been reporting the AI fleets being roughly double the size they previously were at the same point in the game.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Abuse envoys to get a sugardaddy. Econ hard while ignoring navy. Get to Battleships and then build navy. This approach made my last GA game a cakewalk, until I discovered that a 5x crisis is quite hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

Endless Space / ES2

Endless space 1 was very fun and had some nice ui and gameplay concepts but they kinda forgot to add a functional AI so the game essentially was a steamroll. I didn’t get ES2 for that reason.

Also thanks to whoever commented to just make my matrix world be nothing but fortresses And then declare martial law, it now has 100 stability 490 slaves and makes 2100 energy a month, as well as 120 fleet capacity.

Let me go from barely holding back the starnet AI to switching all my technician jobs onto alloys and research and stomping them.