Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Okay, you clearly haven't watched either TFA or TLJ or both of you think the existence of Snoke is somehow an affront to TFA, or that "Rey needs to stop worrying about parents that are never coming back" is. Literally one of her big turning points of TFA is "stop waiting for them to come back and start living your own life". She revisits that hit in TLJ because she's hoping a weird force cave can magically show her something she was unable to find on her own (a reasonable thought, given the vision she got off of the saber in the previous film). Rey's parentage is the ultimate Abrams mystery box in that there was no answer. There were no hints. It's posited as this strange thing but then gets no development or clues or anything. So Johnson went with what best fit the happenings on screen--it doesn't matter who her parents are. They're dead and gone, and Rey Nobody more or less raised herself.

That theme continues in ROS as she rejects her grandfather and name and names herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sorry for my sequel posting : I’ve watched them all now on “quarantine” a few times and have some thoughts especial in light of Mando which was good!

I’ll have to take another shot at Solo tho. Something about that movie just doesn’t penetrate my brain

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

euphronius posted:

That theme continues in ROS as she rejects her grandfather and name and names herself.

Rejecting the angry patriarchy and embracing the sad patriarchy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Which is a compete thematic walkback of her being "just Rey". I could have even lived with Rey Palpatine, dumb as it is, if they hadn't 1) made a bullshit "they sold you to protect you" line. (Just have the Good Palpatines get captured and killed by Ochi and Rey ends up with Plutt that way, rather than posting slavery/indentured servitude as a good parenting choice) and 2) she hadn't had so much development of self acceptance only to throw it all away and hitch herself to her new weirdly incestuous ghost parents

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dingleberry2 posted:

My biggest issue with TLJ was zombie Leia. I was fine with Kylo bombing the gently caress out of his mom, for a moment there poo poo got real. But nope, just kidding, she can hold her breath in space and magically not freeze and shatter. Her just magically coming back pulled me out of the movie and then made all the things I disliked, such as using the phrase Godspeed instead of May the Force Be With You because you're "subverting my expectations", a thousand times more annoying. So I strongly disliked TLJ as a film, but I can't voice my criticism because Disney and friends say it's only because I hate seeing empowered women.

See, the thing about that is, a nuanced take like this-

Dingleberry2 posted:

So, anyway, think we'll get some nude Ahsoka in S2? How close a shave does one get with a lightsaber?

:chloe:

jivjov posted:

Which is a compete thematic walkback of her being "just Rey". I could have even lived with Rey Palpatine, dumb as it is, if they hadn't 1) made a bullshit "they sold you to protect you" line. (Just have the Good Palpatines get captured and killed by Ochi and Rey ends up with Plutt that way, rather than posting slavery/indentured servitude as a good parenting choice) and 2) she hadn't had so much development of self acceptance only to throw it all away and hitch herself to her new weirdly incestuous ghost parents

It's not incestuous. It's just her new family. The family who cared for her and gave her a new sense of belonging.

The OT is what made them incestuous, what with all the kissing in ESB and the familial revelation in ROTJ. ROS had them stand next to each other. Stop reaching.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Luke and Leia are her new dad and mom. Her dead ghost family. All the quest for belonging and a family and she gets ghost parents in the sand.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I can't deal with the movie where the big lasers bend in space but I loved the one where the torpedos did a 90 degree turn on a dime to fall down a hole in the Death Star and blow it up

Anyway I don't know how you can see Last Jedi as some affront to Force Awakens or "kicking over the sandcastles" when Abrams setup was all empty and he was never meant to come back to the series, and only did so because someone at Disney saw The Book of Henry.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Luke and Leia are her new dad and mom. Her dead ghost family. All the quest for belonging and a family and she gets ghost parents in the sand.

They are not her parents. They are her family. They could be her aunt and uncle. Father and aunt. Mother and uncle. Grandparents from other sides of the family. Foster siblings who run a bed and breakfast. It doesn't matter. What matters is that they are her family. You're projecting by making them her married parents and adding some weird incestuous undertone for no reason. Stop making it weird.

Yes, they are her dead ghost family. Why add incest when the movie doesn't?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The movie itself presents the parental angle. Leia's not an organa any more. She's another Skywalker. EVERYTBING is Skywalkers. Abrams is an OG luke/Leia shipper that never got over Han butting in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

The movie itself presents the parental angle. Leia's not an organa any more. She's another Skywalker. EVERYTBING is Skywalkers. Abrams is an OG luke/Leia shipper that never got over Han butting in.

Citation needed.

Parental figures does not mean you have to add an incest angle. You're the one making it weird.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That shits all stupid but none of it is as stupid as Force Ghosts

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

jivjov posted:

Why are you freaking out about someone who was born as Luke's sister calling themselves Skywalker? It's such a weird freakout!!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Why are you freaking out about someone who was born as Luke's sister calling themselves Skywalker? It's such a weird freakout!!

Angry Jimmy Smits Face

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kylo Ren is Anakin's grandson and Rey is Palpatine's daughter...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve got space gas after eating some mandalorian hot wings.

Also I’m super psyched for TO. I really dig that guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gently caress SNEEP posted:

She has no connection to the name. She was raised an organa, she didn't get the reconciliation with her dad that Luke got. We have zero occurrences of her identifying with the name.

If anything, I would have accepted "Rey Organa" more readily than Rey Skywalker if for no other reason than she actually had a positive relationship with Leia.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Naming herself is all about self ownership tho?

She is choosing her fate. Or chose it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Mandalorian thread used to be great. Now we’ve got people wondering if we’re going to see Ahsoka get naked and if Luke and Leia and getting up to incest in the afterlife. poo poo gets weird when there’s no new episodes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Naming herself is all about self ownership tho?

She is choosing her fate. Or chose it.

Reminder that Rey isn't a real person. Rey randomly steals the Skywalker name because abrams and Terrio can't think of a worse fate than not being part of the only two important families in the entire galaxy.

Given the title of the film, I was expecting "Skywalker" to be established as a new synonym for light side force user or something. But no, it all comes down to gotta get that sweet sweet surname. Can't make your own family, gotta graft yourself to an extinct one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What do you mean Rey isn’t real

She’s more real than the Mandolorian for example. We don’t even see Mandos face until the last episode

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

jivjov posted:

Reminder that Rey isn't a real person. Rey randomly steals the Skywalker name because abrams and Terrio can't think of a worse fate than not being part of the only two important families in the entire galaxy.

Given the title of the film, I was expecting "Skywalker" to be established as a new synonym for light side force user or something. But no, it all comes down to gotta get that sweet sweet surname. Can't make your own family, gotta graft yourself to an extinct one.

Why do you not think this is the case?

Also remember it's a parallel to what Kylo did when he adopted the surname Ren. For some reason nobody freaks out about that.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

For all those thinking I was serious about an Ahsoka nude scene it was merely a reference to Rosario Dawson's movie Trance, where her shaving was a central plot point.

See how I've subverted your expectations! My genius is simply too deeply layered for you to understand.

And for all those talking about running out of gas has been done in Star Wars before, yes, I agree. I also would point out that every other character that has gotten blown out of their ship into space has died. So why should Leia, who never became a Jedi suddenly have this magic power which completely undid the shock of Kylo doubling down on killing his parents? Ghost Han and Leia could have just as easily reached out to him in the last movie, instead we find out that long distance phone calls are enough to kill you when you're old.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sixty-eight posts! Was there a new casting reveal, or-- oh poo poo we're still doing this.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Madurai posted:

Sixty-eight posts! Was there a new casting reveal, or-- oh poo poo we're still doing this.

All Something Awful Star Wars threads are in various stages of doing this at all times.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rey should've been a Solo, for the same dumb reason Han was a Solo, and for the fact that in TFA Han was clearly her father figure and Leia quickly became her mother figure. Her becoming a Skywalker is weird and dumb.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wrong thread dumbass.

How about you tell us how you feel about The Mandalorian.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AndyElusive posted:

Wrong thread dumbass.

How about you tell us how you feel about The Mandalorian.

I feel that it is a Star Wars property.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hazo posted:

Also remember it's a parallel to what Kylo did when he adopted the surname Ren. For some reason nobody freaks out about that.

This parallel would've been significant if the surname Ren had any known legacy/pedigree to it. But lol.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I want Bill Burr to come back and be the first person to say gently caress in Star Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

This parallel would've been significant if the surname Ren had any known legacy/pedigree to it. But lol.

And hey, when we got the established origin for Kylo Ren being "master of the knights of Ren", we even find out exactly what the deal with that is. "Ren" is a title assumed by the dude who kills the last Ren and takes over the Knights.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Exactly. Ben assumes a new name that is symbolic of a legacy. Rey does the same thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We know as much about the idea of Ren as we did about Sith in 1977.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

Exactly. Ben assumes a new name that is symbolic of a legacy. Rey does the same thing.

You're pitting a legacy that spans a lovely 4-issue comic against the narrative arcs of Anakin and Luke Skywalker across 6 films. Ben adopting Ren is in no way similar to Rey adopting Skywalker as her surname. There's zero comparison to made that is of any significance other than adopting a name. What a great parallel!

[edit] Also, wouldn't he be Ben Ren technically? The proper parallel since that wasn't the case would be Rey saying her name is Leia Skywalker. :v:

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 21, 2020

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Animal-Mother posted:

I want Bill Burr to come back and be the first person to say gently caress in Star Wars.

"Hey Mando, are you gonna gently caress this Twi'lek or am I gonna have to 'trow the ol' dirty dog up in her?"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

You're pitting a legacy that spans a lovely 4-issue comic against the narrative arcs of Anakin and Luke Skywalker across 6 films. Ben adopting Ren is in no way similar to Rey adopting Skywalker as her surname. There's zero comparison to made that is of any significance other than adopting a name. What a great parallel!

[edit] Also, wouldn't he be Ben Ren technically? The proper parallel since that wasn't the case would be Rey saying her name is Leia Skywalker. :v:

lol I'm not "pitting" anything against another, I'm acknowledging that it's the same thing Kylo did. The Skywalker title is more significant, I don't think we disagree on that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hazo posted:

lol I'm not "pitting" anything against another, I'm acknowledging that it's the same thing Kylo did. The Skywalker title is more significant, I don't think we disagree on that.

You were saying nobody freaked out about Ben adopting the Ren surname. I was pointing out that's because it's not the same thing as Rey adopting the Skywalker surname for reasons already stated. That's all.

[edit] Like, I get what you're saying. But that level of significance is important, especially narrative significance.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

teagone posted:

[edit] Like, I get what you're saying. But that level of significance is important, especially narrative significance.

I don’t disagree.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Ren title is given a reason for being something someone can adopt post-facto, the Skywalker surname doesn't have that. Rey just up and decides "yeah I'm a Skywalker now" for no reason other than for the audience go "awwwww".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And let’s not get into how little Leia would have wanted Tatooine associated with her, considering she’s Alderaanian and her most memorable memory of that desert involved a metal bikini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Adoption into a family is great. Here in the mando thread of all places that's really clear, Din was saved by Mandos and adopted their creed and the clan adopted him. He's activity as an adoptive parent to The Child. There's a lot of great adoption stuff in Star Wars. Rey is a grown woman. Not a child needing care. And why would she unilaterally adopt herself into that family anyway? The one person she met with that surname she didn't get along with very well at all. I circle back to Organa or Solo fitting much better with her character journey, with Organa tying back to her Jedi teacher she spent more than 3 days with, or Solo for her space trucker dad-figure or her literal soulmate Ben.

Edit: Much like a lot of TRoS, her taking the Skywalker name is something to please the audience, not something that fits in with the character's journey thus far.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 21, 2020