Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

zedprime posted:

Multi body gravitational pull would like a word. You will never be rid of the leap second.

Blow up the other planets, bing bong

e: I mean if we're already talking about slowing down earth's rotation, what's a little planetary destruction in our quest for the most perfect calendar year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
We've already got these space elevators that we're using to adjust Earth's rotational inertia in the first place; instead of inserting a leap second we'll just give the rotational speed the appropriate adjustment.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Blow up the other planets, bing bong

e: I mean if we're already talking about slowing down earth's rotation, what's a little planetary destruction in our quest for the most perfect calendar year?
Density anomaly in the sun not to mention debris fields from blowing up the planets.

You need to annihilate all matter in a ridiculous radius at which point what are you orbiting anway, but also the n body problem means we can't really come up with a radius we'd need to annihilate everything in order to guarantee there's be no interference.

DontMockMySmock posted:

We've already got these space elevators that we're using to adjust Earth's rotational inertia in the first place; instead of inserting a leap second we'll just give the rotational speed the appropriate adjustment.
That's just a physical leap second, doesn't fix your clock being wrong for a period of time.

e. Time is subjective and imperfect. Dehumanize yourself and face to orienting data by decreasing magnitude instead of parametric time.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 23:50 on May 21, 2020

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

zedprime posted:

That's just a physical leap second, doesn't fix your clock being wrong for a period of time.

The clock's not wrong, it's the EARTH that is wrong, and is being brought back into alignment with the clock. There is no leap second; the seconds never change. If you were measuring time by looking at the oscillations of cesium or whatever that atomic clocks use, it'd be correct, just not quite matching up with the Earth. The only reason we do leap seconds in real life is because we can't fix the Earth, so we're loving up our time to match the Earth's fuckery.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Making the second the base unit of SI was a big mistake.

Everyone gives Ben Franklin a hard time about establishing the convention of electric charge such that the charger carrier moves the wrong way, but that is comparatively harmless.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DontMockMySmock posted:

:kiss: NOW you're thinking like a Type II civilization!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DontMockMySmock posted:

The clock's not wrong, it's the EARTH that is wrong, and is being brought back into alignment with the clock. There is no leap second; the seconds never change. If you were measuring time by looking at the oscillations of cesium or whatever that atomic clocks use, it'd be correct, just not quite matching up with the Earth. The only reason we do leap seconds in real life is because we can't fix the Earth, so we're loving up our time to match the Earth's fuckery.
If you don't care about accurately measuring the precession of the earth while time keeping (so your seasons and poo poo don't get hosed up) you can just use a simple epochal time keeping not unlike Julian day. Just ignore the earth, he won't hurt you if you stop measuring him with a clock.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

zedprime posted:

If you don't care about accurately measuring the precession of the earth while time keeping (so your seasons and poo poo don't get hosed up) you can just use a simple epochal time keeping not unlike Julian day. Just ignore the earth, he won't hurt you if you stop measuring him with a clock.

Well the point is that we can keep our time fixed like the Julian day, but ALSO keep the time simple and intuitive and in line with the seasons, or more accurately, keep the seasons in line with our new fixed time. Earth's rotation has been an unruly master for TOO LONG and must be brought to heel!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When you think about it, what do we really need timekeeping for anyway?? In my ideal world, only scientists working in specialized areas who get a license would be allowed to keep time. It would simplify all our lives.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only reason we even started keeping standardized time was because of trains and who even rides trains anymore

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

what if we put earth on a treadmill

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
If you think about it the earth is already a giant treadmill

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

I already solved that when I adjusted Earth's rotational speed to be a perfect integer fraction of a year.

poo poo youre right. my bad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Time is an arbitrary concept you guys.

*schizophrenic break*

(This happened to someone I know when his normal 6 hour shipboard watch got shortened to 5 hours, standing a rotating 6 hour watch, which is well known to increase the likelihood of schizophrenic episodes probably didn't help)

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

zedprime posted:

Multi body gravitational pull would like a word. You will never be rid of the leap second.

Says you!
https://what-if.xkcd.com/26/

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Timekeeping was a mistake and all divisions broader than dawn, dusk, and noon should be abolished. What time is it? Morning, afternoon, or night. You can say things like duskish night or noonish morning if you want a bit more precision, but that's it.

Edit: and don't get me started on language

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Several people here outing themselves as those flaky friends you are forced to plan around and then backup plan around because you never know when or if they'll actually show up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Report: Evaporation from California Irrigation Adds Enough Water to Colorado River to Supply 3 Million People

The magnitude of this effect is questionable, but I have to give them points for the graphic.

The paper

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Platystemon posted:

Report: Evaporation from California Irrigation Adds Enough Water to Colorado River to Supply 3 Million People

The magnitude of this effect is questionable, but I have to give them points for the graphic.

The paper

I adore the "perspective" on those 3D arrows.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Clear
________A
Graphic
________Bourgeois
Design
________Degeneracy
V. I. Lenin

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Clear
________A
Graphic
________Bourgeois
Design
________Degeneracy
V. I. Lenin

Much too readable. You show your true colors running dog!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Merkinman posted:

Now every month, every year, can have Friday the 13th! Even Smarch!

fix two problems at once by having each week (and therefore each month and year) start with a monday

the image seems to be someone reimagining the International Fixed Calendar which was used by Kodak for decades

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Clear
________A
Graphic
________Bourgeois
Design
________Degeneracy
Burma Shave

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

fix two problems at once by having each week (and therefore each month and year) start with a monday

the image seems to be someone reimagining the International Fixed Calendar which was used by Kodak for decades

This led me to discover ISO 8601, which clearly states that the week begins on a Monday, as God (Christian) intended.

Also the decimal system needs to go, base 12 or bust.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

BonHair posted:

This led me to discover ISO 8601, which clearly states that the week begins on a Monday, as God (Christian) intended.

Also the decimal system needs to go, base 12 or bust.

I am currently rather annoyed at the lack of compliance with ISO 8601. I habitually use the (objectively correct and standardized) yyyy-mm-dd format for dates. When filling out my I-9 form for my new job, I signed and dated it.

It gets sent back. I have to use mm/dd/yyyy. Ok, fair enough (it actually says that on the form, I just didn't see it.) I send a new copy with the correct format.

Nope. I can't send a new copy, I have to cross it out on the old one and write the new date. They did not specify this. Ok.

That gets sent back. It took them a couple days to return it to me, and I'd used the new date when I was revising the document. That's not OK, either. Have to cross it out and send another copy with the date that I originally filled out the form, not the revision date.

They just flat out don't see it. A week later, they urgently message me and say when are you sending this form, we need it ASAP. I reforward it.

It comes back. I also need to write the revision date beside it. At no point before was this mentioned. They finally got it approved the day after I was actually supposed to start working.

All because the US government uses a stupid non-standard date format. And because I can't follow simple instructions.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Karia posted:

I am currently rather annoyed at the lack of compliance with ISO 8601. I habitually use the (objectively correct and standardized) yyyy-mm-dd format for dates. When filling out my I-9 form for my new job, I signed and dated it.

It gets sent back. I have to use mm/dd/yyyy. Ok, fair enough (it actually says that on the form, I just didn't see it.) I send a new copy with the correct format.

Nope. I can't send a new copy, I have to cross it out on the old one and write the new date. They did not specify this. Ok.

That gets sent back. It took them a couple days to return it to me, and I'd used the new date when I was revising the document. That's not OK, either. Have to cross it out and send another copy with the date that I originally filled out the form, not the revision date.

They just flat out don't see it. A week later, they urgently message me and say when are you sending this form, we need it ASAP. I reforward it.

It comes back. I also need to write the revision date beside it. At no point before was this mentioned. They finally got it approved the day after I was actually supposed to start working.

All because the US government uses a stupid non-standard date format. And because I can't follow simple instructions.

Totally in character for the US to settle the big-endian and little-endian debate by choosing the least useful and most confusing configuration of neither

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Totally in character for the US to settle the big-endian and little-endian debate by choosing the least useful and most confusing configuration of neither

Honestly one of the main reasons why yyyy/mm/dd is useful is because nobody does yyyy/dd/mm so there's no ambiguity. dd/mm/yyyy would be totally fine if not for there being a huge country that decided "actually we'll use mm/dd/yyyy and you'll just have to guess whether 02/03/2020 means February 3rd or March 2nd forever".

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly one of the main reasons why yyyy/mm/dd is useful is because nobody does yyyy/dd/mm so there's no ambiguity. dd/mm/yyyy would be totally fine if not for there being a huge country that decided "actually we'll use mm/dd/yyyy and you'll just have to guess whether 02/03/2020 means February 3rd or March 2nd forever".

You can always use the military standard 00XXX0000 date format, eg 23MAY2020, leaves no room for confusion.

Of course the this varies by form even within sub departments of sub departments within the DOD, why do you ask?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
YYYY-MM-DD also means that things sort by date with a simple alphanumeric sort which is nice

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Elviscat posted:

You can always use the military standard 00XXX0000 date format, eg 23MAY2020, leaves no room for confusion.

Of course the this varies by form even within sub departments of sub departments within the DOD, why do you ask?

Uh, are you sure? If you told me it was the 2020th day of May, or that 2020 had been going on for three years already, I'd totally believe you.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Karia posted:

Uh, are you sure? If you told me it was the 2020th day of May, or that 2020 had been going on for three years already, I'd totally believe you.

you raise a good point, which is that all time is subjective and human attempts to measure or classify it are arrogant, doomed endeavors. this is why the only date format I use is ???/***/time/cube

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elviscat posted:

Yeah we used this in the Australian Army as well. The Royal Australian Navy didn't. And it fell over whenever someone who didn't speak English as a first language tried to parse it.

Good times.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

I use this because I'm in hell-land and it removes ambiguity (as long as all your respondents are English speakers)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I had to write code to parse some input file the other day that contains durations, aka periods of time.

How do you write a period of 2 hours, 30 minutes and 5 seconds?
Something like 2:30:05 seems sensible, right? That's how times in racing sports are written, anyway.

That's what that input file used.

But nope, to remove ambiguity with clock times, ISO8601 has a completely different format for durations, which looks like 2H30M5S. That's fine and all but turns out the java time parsing library cannot deal with durations written as 2:30 and requires the 2H30 format. So I had to write my own parser for that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Carbon dioxide posted:

I had to write code to parse some input file the other day that contains durations, aka periods of time.

How do you write a period of 2 hours, 30 minutes and 5 seconds?
Something like 2:30:05 seems sensible, right? That's how times in racing sports are written, anyway.

That's what that input file used.

But nope, to remove ambiguity with clock times, ISO8601 has a completely different format for durations, which looks like 2H30M5S. That's fine and all but turns out the java time parsing library cannot deal with durations written as 2:30 and requires the 2H30 format. So I had to write my own parser for that.

I think that's the ISO standard for durations, so yeah, you'd have to do PT2H30M5S

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

That period of time is 82779649088850.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/EnemyStepOnMe/status/1263629628738023424

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
cool, we only have to change one letter in the topic title to make it current

Post Your Favorite (or Request): To post is human; to list, divine. › PYF awful/funny graphs and charts: This is a useful way to look at date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, the Prime Minister’s special advisor, one of the masterminds behind Brexit, and de facto Prime Minister, Dominic Cummings… may be responsible for causing County Durham to become a COVID hotspot by breaking the quarantine he himself advised.