Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well that's good, at least you have plenty of time to plan. Don't slack though. We were using the Genero client like a year past EOL and that was a bit of a problem.

poo poo that pisses me off: loving printers in Munis/Tyler Forms. We are still waiting on Tyler forms to finish configuring everything so we can move off of Adobe Central though. I think once we've done that it will be a lot more manageable. Right now the loving onion that is munis printing with MULTIPLE layers of scripts and programs involved passing raw data is just untenable.

Doc Origins is where it's at! One thing I've learned since I started working with it is once you have it setup it seems pretty solid. I've been slowly adding printers around the campus so that we're not stuck waiting on a single printer for everything.

Something that will be pissing me off: Getting people used to using Employee Expenses for reimbursements because holy gently caress K2 is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Weedle posted:

my boss idly floated the idea the other week of promising 24/7 helpdesk monitoring (we have three techs) and i said (paraphrased) "gently caress offffffffffffff" and haven't heard about it since

I did a short stint for an MSP that expected people to be on-call for a week with waaaaayyyyyy too many customers for a single person to handle. On top of that, they had a 24/7 contract that customers could pay a ton of money for and get "full time" support, but they wanted the on-call person to monitor circuits 24x7. For hundreds of locations, most of which were small businesses running basic Comcast cable internet. I raised so much hell about that, 24x7 monitoring for 8x5 customers ended and they started paying way more for on-call.

There's some bullshit going on in our industry (all industries) where "on-call" is used instead of a second/third shift. Being on-call is like, something unexpected happens with a frequency of about once a month. Not so that you can bilk your employees for free or lower-cost work.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

:stare: We have 4 (fully staffed at 5, hiring freeze right now though) at ours, probably around that many users. Similar pay, though they don't hire any "entry level" people. I think the level 1 pay is in the low 50s, but there aren't any level 1s on staff right now. Staff to workload balance seems good.

This is the only city I've ever worked out so I couldn't say if it's rare or not.

This is also my first government job but I think its squarely in the realm of the insane.

I think what happened is about 5 years ago the city got a HUGE chunk of money out of some fiber leasing deal. Instead of looking to see if the volume of work dictated more staff they instead went "Hey look at this giant pile of money! We ought to hire a bunch of people and build a bunch of new park buildings and government buildings!" instead.

I was looking at total number of tickets for helpdesk. Its roughly 20-40 a week depending on how ambitious one is. Thats for a full normal work week and about 1/4 of those are for things like password resets.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Why the hell is it every time someone promotes some lovely code and fucks everything all to hell, everyone runs around pointing their fingers at everything other than the lovely code that was just promoted?? No, it isn't "the servers" or "the network." We have a test environment, please use it! God drat.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Weedle posted:

my boss idly floated the idea the other week of promising 24/7 helpdesk monitoring (we have three techs) and i said (paraphrased) "gently caress offffffffffffff" and haven't heard about it since

My last place decided out of the blue to offer 24/7 on-call support and gave out my personal phone number to the entire company. That was a fun conversation to have with HR.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 21, 2020

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Weedle posted:

"I'd be happy to do that for a 25% pay bump and 4 hours of overtime, per day I'm on call, minimum. That's too much? Then I guess 24/7 support isn't that important."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"I'd be happy to do that for a 25% pay bump and 4 hours of overtime, per day I'm on call, minimum. That's too much? Then I guess 24/7 support isn't that important."

this is pretty much what i said. i didn't propose any numbers or anything but i told her that if the scope of the job is going to change that significantly then it needs to be formally reviewed and negotiated with hr before i'll agree to anything

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

I did a short stint for an MSP that expected people to be on-call for a week with waaaaayyyyyy too many customers for a single person to handle. On top of that, they had a 24/7 contract that customers could pay a ton of money for and get "full time" support, but they wanted the on-call person to monitor circuits 24x7. For hundreds of locations, most of which were small businesses running basic Comcast cable internet. I raised so much hell about that, 24x7 monitoring for 8x5 customers ended and they started paying way more for on-call.

There's some bullshit going on in our industry (all industries) where "on-call" is used instead of a second/third shift. Being on-call is like, something unexpected happens with a frequency of about once a month. Not so that you can bilk your employees for free or lower-cost work.

I have this argument a lot - "on call" means P1 escalation, it doesn't mean "help me print" at 11pm.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

duffmensch posted:

Doc Origins is where it's at! One thing I've learned since I started working with it is once you have it setup it seems pretty solid. I've been slowly adding printers around the campus so that we're not stuck waiting on a single printer for everything.

Something that will be pissing me off: Getting people used to using Employee Expenses for reimbursements because holy gently caress K2 is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Oh I'm so glad to hear that it's decent. I don't think I could handle a transition to another setup that's just a rehash of a poo poo Adobe Central implementation.

Now if only we could actually get people to start using Tyler Content Manager... We've been sitting on it for like 2 years now and haven't done anything with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I have this argument a lot - "on call" means P1 escalation, it doesn't mean "help me print" at 11pm.

For sure. And if your core business is dealing with P1 escalations 24x7, then you need to staff for it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

this is pretty much what i said. i didn't propose any numbers or anything but i told her that if the scope of the job is going to change that significantly then it needs to be formally reviewed and negotiated with hr before i'll agree to anything

Good on you. My manager asked for my personal number as part of a "just in case" deal because we were going into busy season and I refused for the same reason.

gently caress being available 24/7 for things if you aren't going to be paid comensurately for it. We have positions like that and they are paid better, so gently caress anyone who thinks they'll get it from me (or disturb my work/life balance) for free.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DelphiAegis posted:

Good on you. My manager asked for my personal number as part of a "just in case" deal because we were going into busy season and I refused for the same reason.

gently caress being available 24/7 for things if you aren't going to be paid comensurately for it. We have positions like that and they are paid better, so gently caress anyone who thinks they'll get it from me (or disturb my work/life balance) for free.

I gave them my number with the written understanding that bugging me after shift had a 1 hour minimum, and that there was exactly zero guarantees that I would be near a machine, willing to leave wherever I was, and sober enough to log in successfully, much less troubleshoot stuff. But I would try my best. They took me up on it for a year or so.

That decision paid for a LOT of bar tabs.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Our shittiest vendor is pushing a new product on us, and the latest requirement is that we allow unauthenticated mail from our workstation subnets. We haven't allowed that up to this point for obvious reasons, and our more competent vendors have accommodated this no problem.

Not this one. They want this, and there's absolutely no political capital we can throw at the issue to tell them to gently caress off.

Their product has the option to support authenticated SMTP, but it's broken. Not that it'd be of much use anyway, since the app stores the credential in plaintext lol

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 21, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

capitalcomma posted:

Our shittiest vendor is pushing a new product on us, and the latest requirement is that we allow unauthenticated mail from our workstation subnets. We haven't allowed that up to this point for obvious reasons, and our more competent vendors have accommodated this no problem.

Not this one. They want this, and there's absolutely no political capital we can throw at the issue to tell them gently caress off.

Their product has the option to support authenticated SMTP, but it's broken. Not that it'd be much use anyway, since the app stores the credential in plaintext lol

How does a vendor push a new product on you exactly?

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Sickening posted:

Being one of like 3 vendors making this specific type of software.

This new platform is replacing previous applications of theirs, which also suck, but this one (supposedly) sucks less.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ahh, “enterprise” niche software is a hell into its own. Anything Epicor makes is a huge steaming pile of poo poo.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Yeah hey Bill this is Marko over at SuchandSuch Vendor Company. Yeah hey we're giving you a courtesy call to let you know we will be disabling our API that your custom developed application has been using productively for years due to "security reasons." We're happy to introduce our new solution which we host on our servers so we can collect every last bit of information about your customer base while they're forced to interact with your product via our servers. There will be a one month delay before our API is disconnected and that began three days ago. We hope you like our outsourced garbage react jQuery portal that carries no ability to style to your needs to make your company appear unique. We look forward to assisting you with this migration!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I gave them my number with the written understanding that bugging me after shift had a 1 hour minimum, and that there was exactly zero guarantees that I would be near a machine, willing to leave wherever I was, and sober enough to log in successfully, much less troubleshoot stuff. But I would try my best. They took me up on it for a year or so.

That decision paid for a LOT of bar tabs.

This is an arrangement I could probably live with, tbh.

...But they're not willing to pay me for that, so my work phone is in do not disturb-mode between 4pm and 8am. No one (not even HR/manager) at work has my personal cell number, and they're not getting it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I generated an email to a ticket about a request to create some accounts and do a couple other piddly poo poo and threw it into our queue. My week was ending 10 minutes after that and it wasn't pressing so hey maybe some of the other guys could take it today or tomorrow instead.

Nope, instead I get publicly asked in our Teams channel why I couldn't take care of it, was my day busy or something, and why I didn't ask for help if I needed it from a coworker who has micromanaged me like this several times in year I've been at this company. He pulled the "I would have helped if you had asked" bit. I threw it in the loving queue because that's what a queue is for. If it was urgent or anything, I would have asked because that's what reasonable adults do if they need help. He says he could probably look at it tomorrow afternoon if it's not taken care of.

Then I get a bunch of emails of him corresponding with the requester getting the pertinent info for the ticket. Great, he decided to handle it. I'm fine with that.

Nope.

He then creates tickets for each task, which yeah sure I don't mind padding the stats a bit, but then just reassigns them all to me saying in our Teams channel, "I'm giving these to you as it isn't urgent and can be taken care of when you get back Tuesday."

Holy gently caress.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The number of people I have worked with, places I have worked at, that don't understand that it's okay to have things in a queue unassigned is mind-boggling. Set up an email alert for emails that are 15 minutes in unassigned. All tickets must be assigned, even if you are not working on them. Why?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Upgrade to the new version or we won't support you anymore. Why yes, it was spelled out in the support contract. It's a brief sentence that's vague, yet specific enough to go in our favor.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

I generated an email to a ticket about a request to create some accounts and do a couple other piddly poo poo and threw it into our queue. My week was ending 10 minutes after that and it wasn't pressing so hey maybe some of the other guys could take it today or tomorrow instead.

Nope, instead I get publicly asked in our Teams channel why I couldn't take care of it, was my day busy or something, and why I didn't ask for help if I needed it from a coworker who has micromanaged me like this several times in year I've been at this company. He pulled the "I would have helped if you had asked" bit. I threw it in the loving queue because that's what a queue is for. If it was urgent or anything, I would have asked because that's what reasonable adults do if they need help. He says he could probably look at it tomorrow afternoon if it's not taken care of.

Then I get a bunch of emails of him corresponding with the requester getting the pertinent info for the ticket. Great, he decided to handle it. I'm fine with that.

Nope.

He then creates tickets for each task, which yeah sure I don't mind padding the stats a bit, but then just reassigns them all to me saying in our Teams channel, "I'm giving these to you as it isn't urgent and can be taken care of when you get back Tuesday."

Holy gently caress.

There is a special place in hell for people like that.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
An office with a door in all likelihood

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Internet Explorer posted:

The number of people I have worked with, places I have worked at, that don't understand that it's okay to have things in a queue unassigned is mind-boggling. Set up an email alert for emails that are 15 minutes in unassigned. All tickets must be assigned, even if you are not working on them. Why?

Honestly? I've worked a ton of places where if you don't purposefully round Robin tickets or something, there's always a few slackers who do like 5% and bosses who won't hold them to a standard. And theyll claim "oh I was working on hard tickets" which ends up being bullshit when you look at their queues.

I was a service desk and ticketing system manager for too long :/
I never expected everyone to be doing the same number of tix every week but generally if you average poo poo out over a few months it should be in the same ballpark. But Steve with a million funko pops on his desk was always consistently lower.

Also on the generally unassigned stuff - if it's scutt work no one wants to do, no one will ever take the ticket.
I work in a tiny group now and I'm not a lead anymore so our only real rule is everything needs to be assigned at 5pm and its been agreed upon by all 4 of us.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

Honestly? I've worked a ton of places where if you don't purposefully round Robin tickets or something, there's always a few slackers who do like 5% and bosses who won't hold them to a standard. And theyll claim "oh I was working on hard tickets" which ends up being bullshit when you look at their queues.

I was a service desk and ticketing system manager for too long :/
I never expected everyone to be doing the same number of tix every week but generally if you average poo poo out over a few months it should be in the same ballpark. But Steve with a million funko pops on his desk was always consistently lower.

Also on the generally unassigned stuff - if it's scutt work no one wants to do, no one will ever take the ticket.
I work in a tiny group now and I'm not a lead anymore so our only real rule is everything needs to be assigned at 5pm and its been agreed upon by all 4 of us.

2 of the three slackers at work are on permanent ticket bitch duty and responsible for round-robining the tickets out.

Slacker #3 fucks the team average because he puts in 20 full minutes in his tickets for even the simplest poo poo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I made a tool that walks all the nested groups in AD and spits out a graph of all connections.

So if user U is in group A, and group B lists A as a member, it would draw U -> A -> B

I was investigating some access issues involving a student and kept staring at the graph. I replaced the labels so don't pay attention to them.

:suicide:

e: Only three of those groups belong to us btw.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Could I get a copy of that tool? Implementing nested groups in our new directory fairly heavily and a graphing tool like that would be useful to help keep track of them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Ahh, “enterprise” niche software is a hell into its own. Anything Epicor makes is a huge steaming pile of poo poo.

I got chills seeing that name again...

We can't seem to get away from them. We drop one of their products years ago (Epicor Eagle). And then 3 years ago they buy out another piece of software we are using and immediately dump the fantastic support team for their terrible "support".

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

klosterdev posted:

Could I get a copy of that tool? Implementing nested groups in our new directory fairly heavily and a graphing tool like that would be useful to help keep track of them.

2nding. This is really cool and will help us see just how messed up some of our groups are.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

klosterdev posted:

Thirding!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

klosterdev posted:

Before you post the code directly to the coding horror thread I should mention that I wrote this a few years ago in a hurry and it is due for a rewrite whenever I get the time. It's a card on the backlog. Has been since its inception…

I stripped it down to the working parts to avoid all the bits that are site specific. Requires RSAT.

code:
function get-nested-groups {
    Param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$Identity
    )
    $entity = Get-ADObject -Identity $Identity
    $dn = $entity.DistinguishedName
    $groups = Get-ADGroup -LDAPFilter ("(&(objectClass=group)(member:={0}))" -f $dn)
    return $groups
}

$relations_list = New-Object System.Collections.ArrayList

function recurse-groups {
    Param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory=$true)]$Identity
    )
    foreach ($nested_group in get-nested-groups -Identity $Identity) {
        [void]$relations_list.add(("`"{0}`" -> `"{1}`"" -f $Identity.Name, $nested_group.Name))
        recurse-groups -Identity $nested_group
    }
}

$entity = Get-ADUser 'YOURNAMEHERE'
recurse-groups -Identity $entity

Write-Output (
@"
digraph G {{
rankdir=LR
"{0}" [shape=diamond]
{1}
}}
"@ -f ($entity.SamAccountName),($relations_list -join "`n")
)
You graph the output via Graphviz. Just be aware that if you are using Powershell to redirect the output to a file it'll be in utf16le and dot will choke on the BOM at the start of the file...so convert to utf8 first.

Also, this mixes line ending styles in the output, but you get the gist.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 22, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I think I'm going to spend the rest of this working day to rewrite this. The RSAT dependency can probably be dropped entirely and I hate reading the code.

Maybe I can even drop Powershell, that would be even better.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you guys are real ones. i feel bad for IT pros who don't have this community to turn to

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just got word that our company is going back to the office on June 1st. The state also just had it's single most cases in one day yesterday.

This is ridiculous.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just got word that our company is going back to the office on June 1st. The state also just had it's single most cases in one day yesterday.

This is ridiculous.

Oh no sorry boss I hurt my leg, gonna take 10-14 days before I can come in, let me know if anyone starts coughing, yeah?

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I keep getting emails from the same user about signing into a new 3rd party system they're bringing online. My only connection to this project was setting up the SSO integration with Azure, and I sent all the stakeholders an email with the correct URL they need to navigate to for the SSO to kick in. This user just doesn't seem to get the concept that she has to use the specific URL that I provided or it won't sign her in. For the last 3 days I've gotten emails saying that the SSO isn't working. Each time I've looked into it, I've found that she's bookmarked some other random URL for the site.
:psyboom:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

This is ridiculous.

s/scientists/bosses/ and this clip is more relevant than ever.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

I think I'm going to spend the rest of this working day to rewrite this. The RSAT dependency can probably be dropped entirely and I hate reading the code.

Maybe I can even drop Powershell, that would be even better.

This is actually really great so far, totally works!

How the hell do you actually get GVEdit to spit out the graph as a PNG after importing the text file though?

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 22, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Does anyone know of any wireless bridges, like Ubiquiti Nanostations, that work with standard PoE?

Planning out a project where I am only going to have standard PoE power available for devices, and likely won't have room for the "Instant PoE adapters" that Ubiquiti sells to make their 24v devices work with 802.3af. I also don't want to add more points of failure with adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
I thought all the newer ubquiti stuff was 802.3af compatible out of the box?