Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here's one from one of the guys that was in the history lesson battle.

He's replying to a "twitter movie critic" who's claiming that the SC will just be "some half assed insertion of deleted scenes".

https://twitter.com/GregDraven/status/1263386309026025472?s=20

edit - https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1263189247709904903?s=20 :rolleyes:

A gentleman's 42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I like 42, as it is in fact the answer to everything. But I am going to buck the trend and say 50 on the nose, which would be very fitting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I like 42, as it is in fact the answer to everything. But I am going to buck the trend and say 50 on the nose, which would be very fitting.

I was thinking to have it be more than just 1 above so it couldn't be said it was luck/spite voting but that'd be ideal

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here's one from one of the guys that was in the history lesson battle.

He's replying to a "twitter movie critic" who's claiming that the SC will just be "some half assed insertion of deleted scenes".

https://twitter.com/GregDraven/status/1263386309026025472?s=20

edit - https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1263189247709904903?s=20 :rolleyes:

The only thing any press has reported is that actors have been called back for ADR. For actors like him, most likely random throw away lines or vocal fx they dont have clean audio takes of. Or what I said in my previous post.

There is no way, unless theyre preparing to do this once quarantine is over(doubtful before 2020 or even early 2021), that these are full on reshoots in the traditional sense.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Srice posted:

It is definitely really wild how a lot of people are now extremely concerned about where the chump change (by blockbuster standards ofc) of $20-30 million is going.

As a reminder, the Whedon Cut cost approximately $25 million.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Give me $30 million dollars so I can make a review of Suicide Squad that stars the cast of Suicide Squad.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Whedon Cut costs would just use the reshoots already in the actors’ contracts as opposed to starting a whole new production with all new contracts, no?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pirate Jet posted:

Whedon Cut costs would just use the reshoots already in the actors’ contracts as opposed to starting a whole new production with all new contracts, no?

I guess the way to look at it is "they had already budgeted 25 million for reshoots"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pirate Jet posted:

Such reshoots typically cost a lot less. 6-10 million, says Wikipedia.

In any case, WB obviously had no problem spending 20-30 million to ‘finish Justice League’. The only difference is that it won’t result in a hackjob with a two-hour runtime this time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

See, that's interesting. So take the most likely diff, they paid around 15 million to get a 2 hour hackjob. Bummer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I've been wrestling with Alexander (the good one, not the dumb one) bringing that up and I think I'm fine with it because hey, if this is a moment in time where fans are demanding things and creators are being rewarded, she might as well throw her hat into the ring as someone who deserves the chance to make more good rear end movies.

In general tho I am leery of it being used as a blanket bash on this specific instance, because yeah she can make 4 Green Street Hooligans with 20 million but by that token she can make 60 Green Street Hooligans with the amount they spend on the average blockbuster movie. That's always been the case, although it's good to be reminded that what those movies consider "chump change" is enough to change a lot of good directors careers.

Yeah absolutely. Were it a question of funding 4 indie movies vs finishing the Snyder cut I'd totally get where they were coming from, but unfortunately if they weren't spending it on the Snyder cut it'd be allocated to some other blockbuster project instead.

Haha, incredible.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

josh04 posted:

Give me $30 million dollars so I can make a review of Suicide Squad that stars the cast of Suicide Squad.

Do you have a link to your video essay? I never got around to watching it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhvRFplhQ7U

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
If the Tomatometer gave Justice League a score of 40 based on a film with 25% Snyder scenes, then the actual score should be...

Just let me run the numbers here...

Zack Snyder's Justice League should reach a score of 160. Biggest film in history, boys!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If the Snyder Cut doesn't get a perfect 100 on RT then I will make an eight hour YouTube video where I slowly put together an argument that conclusively proves that RT is fash adjacent.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gorn Myson posted:

If the Snyder Cut doesn't get a perfect 100 on RT then I will make an eight hour YouTube video where I slowly put together an argument that conclusively proves that RT is fash adjacent.

If it does I will

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That reminds me of a link that someone sent me the other day. It was a 2 hour YouTube “critique” of the Picard TV show. They said “this video nicely summarizes my views about the show”.

WTF, a 2 hour video is a “nice summary”? How can you talk about something you dislike for two straight hours?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr. Apollo posted:

That reminds me of a link that someone sent me the other day. It was a 2 hour YouTube “critique” of the Picard TV show. They said “this video nicely summarizes my views about the show”.

WTF, a 2 hour video is a “nice summary”? How can you talk about something you dislike for two straight hours?

Was it the new Plinkett video?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Such reshoots typically cost a lot less. 6-10 million, says Wikipedia.

In any case, WB obviously had no problem spending 20-30 million to ‘finish Justice League’. The only difference is that it won’t result in a hackjob with a two-hour runtime this time.

Ah, so that makes the Whedon costs even worse, lol. I think part of why people feel $20-30 mil for Snyder Cut is so bloated is because of the costs of having to restart production. I’m mainly baffled by these takes that “the cut obviously never existed,” as if you can make an entire blockbuster superhero team-up flick for $30 million, as if it’d take Zack less than a year once Army is done, as if Joss Whedon did it in five months.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
It should be noted that any film of this sizes budget, as it is published to the public, is almost always significantly smaller than what the studios actually spend in the end, especially when you account for marketing which is usually in the hundreds of millions for blockbusters. Hollywood accounting is a shadowrealm and published budgets are basically marketing material(more money = better than).

The Amazing Spiderman 2 was rumored to have cost upwards of $500mil between production and marketing. Now imagine what JL, after Whedon reshoots and marketing, actually cost.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 21, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Roth posted:

Was it the new Plinkett video?
Yeah I’m pretty sure that was it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AccountSupervisor posted:

Hollywood accounting is a shadowrealm and published budgets are basically marketing material(more money = better than).
im always reminded of this clip:

https://youtu.be/bHL91HQzhuc

Violator
May 15, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Amazing Spiderman 2 was rumored to have cost upwards of $500mil between production and marketing. Now imagine what JL, after Whedon reshoots and marketing, actually cost.

The Hollywood accounting of JL also probably includes the like 10 previous attempts to make the movie, too. The George Miller version, etc.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just finished it and enjoyed it. I'm gonna spread it to some friends and hopefully it helps them understand why I like things like the Star Wars prequels.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ll admit I sometimes love deep dives if they’re done well. A movie podcast I listen to will do like a five hour episode examining things like The Exorcist II with interviews with the director, editor, historians, etc. included. I’ll put that on while I’m cutting the grass, doing dishes, etc and super long critiques will fly by.

Hmm. As I typed this I realize that’s quite a bit different than some weirdo on YouTube making an opinion video.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If I ever do video essays I'd probably just make videos like Super Eyepatch Wolf that's mostly just talking about the things I like.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Roth posted:

I just finished it and enjoyed it. I'm gonna spread it to some friends and hopefully it helps them understand why I like things like the Star Wars prequels.

Thanks for watching, I appreciate it - it's a significant amount of time to speak, regardless of what they're saying.

In related news, this is surely just bait:
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1263597368940756995

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Picard was actually everything that people accuse Zack Snyder movies of being

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Picard was actually everything that people accuse Zack Snyder movies of being

they turned picard into an objectivist?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've been working through TNG and Arrowverse at a rate of one episode per day, so I look forward to giving my thoughts on Picard two years from now.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I should brush up on what happened to Ayer. I know the basically the entire movie got scrapped right before production (removing the alien invasion and mother boxes for Enchantress) and that a trailer house re-edited the movie?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Roth posted:

I've been working through TNG and Arrowverse at a rate of one episode per day, so I look forward to giving my thoughts on Picard two years from now.

condolences when you get past s2 of arrow

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pirate Jet posted:

Ah, so that makes the Whedon costs even worse, lol. I think part of why people feel $20-30 mil for Snyder Cut is so bloated is because of the costs of having to restart production. I’m mainly baffled by these takes that “the cut obviously never existed,” as if you can make an entire blockbuster superhero team-up flick for $30 million, as if it’d take Zack less than a year once Army is done, as if Joss Whedon did it in five months.

It’s a slightly complex situation, so let’s do a halfassed math breakdown:

The WB Theatrical Cut of Justice League (before Snyder was ousted) was projected to cost ~285 million. This version already had a bunch of egregious studio meddling and a significantly reduced runtime.*

The WB Theatrical Cut was ~10 million away from completion when Snyder was forced out. ~275 million had already been spent at that point. Then they brought on Whedon to finish the film.

Whedon spent ~25 million, going 15 million over the original budget. It’s unclear whose absurdly bad decision it was, but they only used about 30 minutes of Snyder’s footage - basically creating an entirely new film from scratch and recycled assets. Even if Whedon were an exceptionally talented artist, he was effectively trying to make an Avengers film on the budget of a single episode of The Mandalorian.

Whedon is not a talented artist.

Now we have a Snyder Cut, coming soon for ~25 million. But what that means is that Snyder is being given 10 million to finish the film (again), plus an additional 15 million to extend the runtime to 4 hours and presumably undo some of the studio bullshit he faced. (I‘d like to see the original Steppenwolf design.) Also, as you note, there are probably quite a few costs involved in restarting a production after so much time.

Anyways, long story short, all the handwringing over the 20-30 million is bullshit.

*If Snyder’s history with the studio is anything to go by, we might have ended up with an extended cut of the WB Theatrical Cut on DVD (as with Sucker Punch or Suicide Squad). Even if not a Director’s Cut, this also would have required some additional spending to complete.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 22, 2020

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I choose to believe in the Ayer cut.
Despite the hack job done to it, it's still one of my fav. comic book movies, and definitely the one I've watched the most.

I love that Ayer keeps dropping little bits here and there.
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1262459738622574592

I mean the Harley/Deadshot thing is obvious from the stuff left in the film, but Diablo living is nice.
Don't know if the bomb plot was in the original, but I'd like to imagine him just reforming after the explosion.
I mean, why would a bomb kill a dude that's basically an explosion?

Guy A. Person posted:

Would this be considered the CD holy trinity? lol

Snyder, Bay, and Singh actually, they went to filmschool together.

Violator posted:

I should brush up on what happened to Ayer. I know the basically the entire movie got scrapped right before production (removing the alien invasion and mother boxes for Enchantress) and that a trailer house re-edited the movie?

Enchantress was always there, I think she was just working for Steppenwolf originally.
But yeah, I'd like to read up on it all as well.

Violator
May 15, 2003

(I‘d like to see the original Steppenwolf design.)

Yes! If this ties into BvS Director’s Cut that would nice for continuity and since it’s 1000% a better design.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The original Steppenwolf design is really nice, but the JL redesign (aside from the vfx being very unpolished) is a classic Hollywood "we need to see the actor's face" dealy, I'd be surprised if they completely rolled that back.

Violator posted:

The trailer house reedited the movie, then they put out a blend of both edits because consistency is for suckers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I can easily do that, but I lack the specific kind of neurosis that makes people think they should get paid to be a random douchebag on YouTube.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Violator posted:

Hmm. As I typed this I realize that’s quite a bit different than some weirdo on YouTube making an opinion video.
Yeah, exactly. I don’t mind watching or listening to lengthy videos or podcasts if they’re well done and it’s on a topic I’m interested in. I just don’t get how someone would sit through 90+ minutes of someone complaining about something they don’t like. Never mind the person who actually made it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I wonder if the SC will address the open pod in the Kryptonian ship. Snyder said “stay tuned” during the watch party and now with the announcement of the SC...

He said “you know it would have been 20,000 years ago...” I wonder if we’ll see a Kryptonian in the “history lesson” battle.

Maybe they'll connect the Atlantian and Amazonian's history to the Kryptonian's and their birthing pod technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, exactly. I don’t mind watching or listening to lengthy videos or podcasts if they’re well done and it’s on a topic I’m interested in. I just don’t get how someone would sit through 90+ minutes of someone complaining about something they don’t like. Never mind the person who actually made it.

I had this video keeping popping up in my Youtube, it was called "Why Disney doesn't get lightsabers" and it had a couple of hundred thousand views. I finally took a chance on it and it was literally some nerd with an accent delivering venom-coated whining about how Disney had Luke call them "laser swords". After around 2 minutes I turned it off and blocked the channel.

I guess there was some drama recently on Twitter (I have got the barest inkling of this and no, I did not care about it and did not investigate it) that there's a channel that's literally describing what happens in Star Wars and what it means to the characters, it's called Star Wars Theory or something and it's not even pointing out weird subtext or doing deconstructions or anything, I guess it's literally stuff like "Now this second character who has appeared is Darth Maul. He's a Sith as well, and because he's a Sith, he's a bad guy and his motivations are to setback the heroes." Just basic explaining of the movie and reminding people about things that happened prior. I guess it has something like 3 million subscribers on Youtube and somebody noteworthy on Twitter was like "this is just nuts, this guy is just literally explaining basic stuff and has a huge following" and it led to a big brouhaha, but it also tells me that most of these big channels are being fed lots of views by unsupervised children. I really mean that, my son watched Star Wars for the first time and he could not follow basic stuff about the movie, he got confused about motivations and stuff. So I am sure that most of the people listening to these douchebags are children that find that sort of lovely negativity extremely funny. I mean there's that PewDiePie dork who anyone over the age of 18 would find absolutely mind-shatteringly stupid and yet little kids love him by the zillions. Same principle with those vids. Those rant videos are not meant for adults - they are meant for fans, people who deliberately cultivate a kid mindset about poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 22, 2020