Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

Doesn’t Australian have a prison island for immigrants

It sure does!

TrixRabbi posted:

As someone who has taken a swing at progressive politics to maybe alleviate the hellhole that is American government and society, it's loving hard.

Also if The Peccadillo really is from Australia and chastising us for failing to adequately whip our neighbors and co-workers into an anti-imperialist revolutionary zeal then ahahahaahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Real talk, and I don’t mean for this to be a low blow at peccadillio who was probably drunk and running his mouth off of an understandable and sympathizable emotion perspective, but when people talk about rising up and reclaiming moral rectitude and rebellious fervor or whatever, it ought to make your hackles rise. That’s the talk that fascists and crypto-fascists use to rope in emotional, vulnerable kids and man-children. That leads people into weirdo fascist groups like Patriot Front or, on the flip side, bizarre pseudo-left cults like the antisemite violence worshipping black nationalist Black Hammer or the peculiar ultra-sectarian posturing Red Guards.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 21, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1263160002732331009?s=20

Feels a little like a retreat after Silver Lake, but it's still a script he wrote so I'm down

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CopywrightMMXI posted:

“Reopening economies” is code for “send retail/service employees back to work.” They reopened a lot of businesses in my province on Tuesday but every white collar worker I know is still working at home indefinitely.

My little city was a part of New York's "first phase" reopening, which in this case meant that construction businesses and the like could go back to work. This Monday, it seemed like every drat block in the city had something or another being worked on.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I, Butthole posted:

I mean, yeah but we're also in our third term/seventh year of the population electing neocons soooooooooooo
Two of the last three presidents lost the popular vote

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Doesn’t Australian have a prison island for immigrants

This is some inception level poo poo right here

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

morestuff posted:

Feels a little like a retreat after Silver Lake, but it's still a script he wrote so I'm down

This sucks rear end. Oh well, hopefully just a one time misstep.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

McCloud posted:

This is some inception level poo poo right here

Australia begets more Australias.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Halloween Jack posted:

Two of the last three presidents lost the popular vote

Seriously our system is so hosed and there's so little the average person can do to actually fix any of it -- and that's despairing! There's millions of folks who would gladly embrace a progressive policy platform who are just too worn down by propaganda and status quoism to think its ever going to be feasible, others aren't capable of drawing a distinction between a Bernie Sanders and a Joe Biden, most of us are just trying to survive and just want stability and security for ourselves and our families. And yet we're beholden to this absurd electoral system that has allowed this fascist party that the bulk of the country despises to take an iron grip around power and the so-called opposition is so feckless and corrupt and beholden to moneyed interests that they don't even really want to fight it let alone usher in change. The actual Left in this country is useless and does nothing but fight amongst themselves.

So sorry my mom's friend yelled at a grocery store clerk, I guess I'll go get into a Facebook argument with her until she Wakes Up Sheeple!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

morestuff posted:

Here’s hoping it’s more Mystery Men and less Kick-rear end.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If David Robert Mitchell wants to make a superhero movie as weird as Under the Silver Lake, I’ll watch it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Halloween Jack posted:

Did their governor come up with that? Because that is the most Democrat Brain thing I've ever heard.

Our governor is a Republican, but Mayor Lucas is a Democrat. Our governor opened the state 2 weeks before the two biggest cities opened up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

Pretty sure this is not the first time The Peccadillo has snapped at American posters for daring to live in a country whose government is bad and blaming us personally for it.

hot tip: that's how the vast majority of the rest of the world looks at Americans and will look at Americans for the rest of our lives

it's not really gonna be safe for anyone from the USA to leave the country for a long, long time

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

hot tip: that's how the vast majority of the rest of the world looks at Americans and will look at Americans for the rest of our lives

it's not really gonna be safe for anyone from the USA to leave the country for a long, long time

What do you imagine happening

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lucky for us, nobody in the working class in the US can afford to leave.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

morestuff posted:

Getting shanked on the street by Europeans for mentioning I'm American in casual conversation and therefore directly to blame for our government's covert operations and warmongering.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

we've already got a lot of countries instituting travel bans against anyone who's even been in the US recently (let alone US citizens) and that's probably not going away in the foreseeable future regardless of how COVID19 shakes out, and from what I understand that already covers the vast majority of countries that it would ordinarily be safe for Americans to go to. if you somehow do get into one of those countries (or if you were already there prior to the travel bans), i suspect you will find out that the average citizenry genuinely, personally hates you for existing, that you will have absolutely zero success finding employment or housing, and that you will be at massive risk for being a target of random street violence if you "look American" in any way whatsoever.

as far as countries where this was already basically the case and they were already considered unsafe for Americans to go to, I'm expecting that to remain unchanged at best.

e: like the era of "just go to Asia and be an ESL teacher if you're a failson" is 100% extremely the gently caress over, for example.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It’s certainly true that the US empire is in decline, and some people that previously benefitted from that cultural hegemony will find that cache increasingly less valuable.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

However, if you’re from a yuan-affiliated country, I’ve got good news!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

we've already got a lot of countries instituting travel bans against anyone who's even been in the US recently (let alone US citizens) and that's probably not going away in the foreseeable future regardless of how COVID19 shakes out, and from what I understand that already covers the vast majority of countries that it would ordinarily be safe for Americans to go to. if you somehow do get into one of those countries (or if you were already there prior to the travel bans), i suspect you will find out that the average citizenry genuinely, personally hates you for existing, that you will have absolutely zero success finding employment or housing, and that you will be at massive risk for being a target of random street violence if you "look American" in any way whatsoever.

as far as countries where this was already basically the case and they were already considered unsafe for Americans to go to, I'm expecting that to remain unchanged at best.

e: like the era of "just go to Asia and be an ESL teacher if you're a failson" is 100% extremely the gently caress over, for example.
:psyduck:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

It’s understandable that people from outside the US would have a perception of the average US citizen that is skewed towards the section of the country that has the social and financial mobility for international travel, but it doesn’t really tell you much about the experiences of regular people. Like, the idea that bias-based or criminal violence would dissuade someone here from moving elsewhere is laughable for a significant portion of the populace.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I was just told my cable provider won't be providing HBO Max access with my HBO sub, and will continue to only provide HBO Go at this time... loving :rip:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My view towards the US might be biased from being a European expat living in the US, but you're overestimating the amount of hatred and underestimating the amount of pity we feel for you. We still like you more than China or Russia or random other Europeans.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

[citation needed]

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Stay off the booze, buddy

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

lmao

I mean, look I fully blame Trump and his admin for failing to respond to this virus and being a big reason why this thing got as bad as it did (compared to, say, Obama and ebola), but you think people aren't also looking at China with a side-eye for how they covered this poo poo up? Yeah, no poo poo there's travel bans right now when there's a loving pandemic -- it's not cause Americans are anymore infectious than any other nationality. Like the UK's response was any better? Like people aren't appalled at Sweden's "ehhh, just go get sick" approach to it?

Dude, I know the international community looks at us with a mix of anger, pity, and smug superiority but come on. I'm not gonna get stabbed walking down the street in another country just for "looking American" (I might get stabbed for looking like a clueless tourist and easy mark).

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Weedlord I love you man but you are fully doompilled and you need to find 50cc of chill. Didn’t you also say this would lead to civil war?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watching Capone poop his pants

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

TrixRabbi posted:

Seriously our system is so hosed and there's so little the average person can do to actually fix any of it -- and that's despairing!

It's inevitably all going to fall apart, catastrophically. Hopefully sooner rather than later, because it's getting harder and harder to lie to my neighbors about the Thunderdome I'm building in my back yard.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MacheteZombie posted:

Watching Capone poop his pants

Is it good? I want it to be good.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Lmao

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

josh04 posted:

Is it good? I want it to be good.

Its actually not bad. Tom Hardy's doing his thing. When Capone has a dementia episode theres a neat nightmare feel to it.

It's not amazing or anything. At least not yet.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Sir this is an Arby’s drive thru

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I may just be dumb but I feel like there is 0% chance that the kind of countries and industries that rely heavily on international tourism are just going to stop existing and will in fact be drooling as soon as they can get Americans back and spending money within their borders. Like, yeah the average citizen of that country may hate fat American tourists but it's probably going to be more of the "spit in their food, make comments about them in a language they don't understand in front of them" style of hatred and less the "ban them from ever coming to the country on threat of death" style hatred.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
fund my terror cell or stfu

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

edit: eh, nevermind. Probably a dumb take.

Anyway, anyone see MUBI added a new permanent Library streaming selection?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 21, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Its actually not bad. Tom Hardy's doing his thing. When Capone has a dementia episode theres a neat nightmare feel to it.

It's not amazing or anything. At least not yet.

I didn't realize Peter Deming was the cinematographer of this! Did a great job too!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Now do one where you're a person of color living in America.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If you go to another country from the US just tell everyone you're Canadian. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
No one gives a gently caress if you're American unless you're in like, a country the USA is actively bombing. The worst things that's going to happen to you is a trump joke or some german dude with a bowl cut being condescending about your healthcare system in a bar.