Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Lodge is a PSA about pranks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MacheteZombie posted:

The Lodge is a PSA about pranks gaslighting

FTFY

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That's fair, I was making a silly post.

I did like the movie. The kids did a great job and Riley was incredible.

I was not expecting what Alicia Silverstone did and that glued me into the movie.
The use of The Thing was a little unnecessary. One scene I really liked was the found footage of the cult. well edited and sufficiently spooky.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

MacheteZombie posted:

That's fair, I was making a silly post.

Don’t worry, MacheteZombie, I wasn’t being super serious about it. :glomp:

quote:

One scene I really liked was the found footage of the cult. well edited and sufficiently spooky.

Yeah, I loved that section too. I remember thinking when I saw that ”Oooh, someone used the Heaven’s Gate tape as a reference.”

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have an evening to myself, what movie(s) should I watch

edit-- Oh tight, Goodnight Mommy was just added to Shudder

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 21, 2020

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Loving the 50 Sates of Fright from Sam Raimi lmao

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250273191810875392

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

Don’t worry, MacheteZombie, I wasn’t being super serious about it. :glomp:

Yeah, I loved that section too. I remember thinking when I saw that ”Oooh, someone used the Heaven’s Gate tape as a reference.”

Yeah! I had the same thought.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It goes full Raimi at the end!!!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

I have an evening to myself, what movie(s) should I watch

edit-- Oh tight, Goodnight Mommy was just added to Shudder

drat, that was one uncomfortable bummer or a movie. Pretty well-done though.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

drat, that was one uncomfortable bummer or a movie. Pretty well-done though.

It's a slow burn but the last 5 minutes are :suspense: I do get the feeling after watching The Lodge and Goodnight, Mommy within the span of a week that the writer/directors think children are monsters. I mean, they're mostly right, but still...

STAC Goat posted:

Also around the same time Cinemax made a bunch of TV movies remaking old 50s B movies and I sometimes confuse them with Masters of Horror episodes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_Features#Cinemax

I remember these, and specifically that Earth Vs. The Spider is a lot of fun but Teenage Caveman is absolutely as skeezy as you would expect from Larry Clark.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

goodnight mommy is the worst movie title tbh it sounds like something youd whack it to on page 14 of the hub at 3AM

good movie tho

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stryder posted:

I remember these, and specifically that Earth Vs. The Spider is a lot of fun but Teenage Caveman is absolutely as skeezy as you would expect from Larry Clark.

I remember when these were announced I was unbelievably excited and as they came out, my disappointment reached a new low every week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stryder posted:

I remember liking She Creature (and ended up buying it a few years ago in a multipack DVD but haven't rewatched it). And I really don't remember the Spider one but I know it intrigued me when I saw it. I remember How to Make a Monster kind of sucking. I don't think I saw The Day the World Ended. And yeah, Teenage Caveman was weird and gross and weird and pervy and weird and icky and gross. Even when I was a young dude with more "edge".

The two I don't really remember are both up on Pluto so maybe I'll give them a watch.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I remember liking She Creature (and ended up buying it a few years ago in a multipack DVD but haven't rewatched it). And I really don't remember the Spider one but I know it intrigued me when I saw it. I remember How to Make a Monster kind of sucking. I don't think I saw The Day the World Ended. And yeah, Teenage Caveman was weird and gross and weird and pervy and weird and icky and gross. Even when I was a young dude with more "edge".

The two I don't really remember are both up on Pluto so maybe I'll give them a watch.

Yeah, I recall She Creature wasn't terrible in the genre of "mermaid" horror movies, but How To Make a Monster was really stupid and made worse in that "screenwriters who don't know how the tech industry works" way.

Kvlt! posted:

goodnight mommy is the worst movie title tbh it sounds like something youd whack it to on page 14 of the hub at 3AM

Re: Goodnight, Mommy's title, FWIW, the orignal German title is "Ich Seh, Ich Seh" which means "I See, I See". From what I understand, that's the German equivalent of the "I spy with my little eye..." game. That fits a LOT better with themes of the film, dealing with perception (specifically, things that only the originator of the game can see at first) and even the repetition representing twins.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

good movie tho

Speaking of which I'm about halfway through Dogs Don't Wear Pants and this woman is just the worst dominatrix

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Speaking of which I'm about halfway through Dogs Don't Wear Pants and this woman is just the worst dominatrix

Yeah but she's hot so who's to say

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Snack Bitch posted:

Dog Don’t Wear Pants is really good and something everyone should see. It’s not as shocking on the whole as the parts may seem. Even my partner who “doesn’t like horror” enjoyed it.

I have little to add to the discussion but I have to respond every time I see your av because of how goddamn weird that actress's entire performance is and she kinds scares me more than the big scare does

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I watched The Void today in between procedures at a doctors office and now I wish I had chosen to watch it on my tv any of the 8000 times I almost did because it ruled on my phone.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Void is good as hell and I'm real mad it's not on Netflix any more.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

anime tupac posted:

I have little to add to the discussion but I have to respond every time I see your av because of how goddamn weird that actress's entire performance is and she kinds scares me more than the big scare does

Same, I miss my old AV but I really really like this one.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

In fairness it's a bit harder to create drama and conflict when you have niceties like comprehensive pre-session discussions, best practices, and aftercare.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

In fairness it's a bit harder to create drama and conflict when you have niceties like comprehensive pre-session discussions, best practices, and aftercare.

Oh you're absolutely right, I just have a kneejerk reaction to link culture being portrayed on really unsafe or unhealthy ways :)

But honestly I think it's part of the point. They're both people that are broken and looking for something that a BDSM relationship is NOT going to fulfill for them, and in turn it's ruining them both - physically or emotionally. The more I think about it the more I liked it.

---

Now Patchwork, on the other hand. That I watched also. It was cute, but very forgettable and it REALLY wanted to be Re-Animator there at the beginning.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Stryder posted:

Yeah, I recall She Creature wasn't terrible in the genre of "mermaid" horror movies, but How To Make a Monster was really stupid and made worse in that "screenwriters who don't know how the tech industry works" way.

I reviewed some of those in a past movie challenge. Earth vs the Spider was pretty good, but How to make a Monster really dropped the ball. I can see where they were trying to go with it, but even when that film was new, the effects were total crap.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
She-Creature is one of those 2AM TMC flicks that you think you’re gonna fall asleep to, stay engaged with the whole time, and then no one ever knows or talks about it ever, so you don’t think it’s real. Same with White Skin (2004).

Anyway, I like both.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1263844187524472838?s=21

Guess I’ll be holding onto the blu-day copy as well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Did you guys know that a sequel to One Cut of the Dead was posted a few days ago? It's a short film, made entirely remotely with the same cast. I haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on how good it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGi6Y6NZLI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please watch the golden arm. It must be redeemed.

It’s Sam Raimi as gently caress and really funny

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, I'm uhh, not subscribing to Quibi. Sorry Sam :shrug:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm maybe willing to sign up for whatever free trial they have to see that, but like I'm not gonna do it for one 30 minute thing. Maybe when more of that anthology is out.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

I just can't get behind vertical framing. Might as well watch instagram posts.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
How I feel about all of this new poo poo-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Quibi is such a sadness.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

the_enduser posted:

Wait, what? Its framed vertically? Why? I can't watch that. Why would you do that?

And is it only available on phones? Oh yeah, then gently caress it. I don't watch poo poo on my phone. That's terrible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

And is it only available on phones? Oh yeah, then gently caress it. I don't watch poo poo on my phone. That's terrible.

They panicked after launch when they realized people wanted it on their TVs so they started work on it then. It'll be on TVs and Chromecast and all that soon enough.

STAC Goat posted:

Wait, what? Its framed vertically? Why? I can't watch that. Why would you do that?

No, it's worse. It's dynamically framed so that the viewer gets to decide how it's framed and can constantly shift back and forth to their choosing.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

I believe they have the option to do horizontal but its marketed as On The Go entertainment or some bs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the_enduser posted:

It isn’t vertically framed. It changes when you shift your phone.

Just do it for the free trial and quit right after. It’s pretty fun!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d love to take pics or video but they make it so
You cannot. It sucks. It’s a bad app. But it’s a fun short!

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

:psyduck: but it defeats the whole purpose of cinematography.

Like I get it, but this is how the website markets it:

https://imgur.com/PJWBdkJ

https://imgur.com/xLpI4ZZ

Watching it vertical cuts out the entire screen!

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 23, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That makes pan and scan look reasonable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you turn it it’s widescreen. It’s only vertical if you put your phone vertical.

It’s shot like a regular short film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, the fact that I have to watch it on my phone (for now) is enough to cement that I'm not watching it (for now). Sorry, Raimi. Make stuff on non stupid apps.