Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

I like the infamous super close call B-1 bombing strike that about vaporized some chinooks that decided planned flight routes are for chumps when you can take straight-line shortcuts.

Hold up, what?

I thought F-15s were the only ones allowed to vaporize friendly helicopters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bloops posted:

That was a Reserve crew I believe and yea. It was a Bud Holland-type situation to a degree.

Was this the 747 crash captured on dashcam?

Also, I got a win-win for the thread:For you, a cool documentary on the DC-8. For those who are not into aviation, some prescription-strength ASMR!

PS> if you skip to around 32:30, you see a horrific crash illustration...made by the weather channel?!

e2: Man, that's an unfortunate church name

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 21, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:stonk:

I really thought that document couldn’t get worse. And then, line by line, it did.

I figured that was as bad as it would get.

Nope.

:gonk:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's the B-52 airshow crash.
https://youtu.be/182AepOJjMs

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LostCosmonaut posted:

Hold up, what?

I’ve seen a version of the video that’s unclassified, but my mobile googling fails me. Basically helos deviated from flight plan to save time and ended up overflying a B-1s target as it was being bombed. No one died but it was a really gnarly close call.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also, I got a win-win for the thread:For you, a cool documentary on the DC-8. For those who are not into aviation, some prescription-strength ASMR!

PS> if you skip to around 32:30, you see a horrific crash illustration...made by the weather channel?!

e2: Man, that's an unfortunate church name

You might be referring to the cargo 747 that had a loading strap failure in Iraq shortly after takeoff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The C-17 crash was basically the same situation as the B-52 crash you linked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Alaska_USAF_C-17_crash
Cowboy pilot was practicing for an airshow and did a too steep, too low speed maneuver that resulted in a crash.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/transcoded/3/37/AFD-101210-080.ogv/AFD-101210-080.ogv.480p.vp9.webm

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Christ. I've never seen this before and I thought the crash was going to happen with that takeoff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Christ. I've never seen this before and I thought the crash was going to happen with that takeoff.

Its an extreme telephoto lens so stuff looks weird, plus its an empty cargo plane so it can do a silly zoom climb.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

Its an extreme telephoto lens so stuff looks weird, plus its an empty cargo plane so it can do a silly zoom climb.

Yeah, the takeoff performance of empty planes that usually carry a bunch of stuff is impressive to say the least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Incidentally, if you have the morbid sort of personality that is into this stuff, fearoflanding.com is a great site for aviation incident reports and discussion. Here's a recent one with a drunk pilot who was happily arrested before he got off the ground:

https://fearoflanding.com/demystifying/n28v-i-need-your-call-sign-please/

and a more senselessly tragic one where a guy crashed the multi-engine plane he was not rated to operate into a mountain after putting the runway length of his destination airport into his handheld GPS as an airport code and blindly following it 90 degrees away from where he meant to go:

https://fearoflanding.com/accidents/accident-reports/hes-a-terror-in-a-twin/

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the takeoff performance of empty planes that usually carry a bunch of stuff is impressive to say the least.

I did the math once and a 777 with 25% fuel and no passengers or cargo has the same power-to-weight ratio as a combat-loaded F-14.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

An empty 767-300F will peg the VSI well north of 6000fpm, I’ve actually had to pull power in the climb below 10000ft to not exceed 30° of pitch and 250kt. :madmax:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

An empty 767-300F will peg the VSI well north of 6000fpm, I’ve actually had to pull power in the climb below 10000ft to not exceed 30° of pitch and 250kt. :madmax:

Rule of cool says greater than 30° of pitch should be fine if your transport category aircraft can handle it. :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

767s mixed into a (mostly narrow body and RJ) departure push is a great way to spot a trainee who isn’t scanning the entire data block. You guys (and the FedEx MD11 duders) actually kinda break our departure airspace on the regular.

“Always climb the wide body” is second right after “always climb the fighter, dipshit.”

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

bloops posted:

You might be referring to the cargo 747 that had a loading strap failure in Iraq shortly after takeoff.

Afganistan.

the video is insane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sUWC2jfjqI

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The audio prior to departure is depressing. Just talking about how tired they are and how the straps are old and how they might die. Then they die.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

767s mixed into a (mostly narrow body and RJ) departure push is a great way to spot a trainee who isn’t scanning the entire data block. You guys (and the FedEx MD11 duders) actually kinda break our departure airspace on the regular.

“Always climb the wide body” is second right after “always climb the fighter, dipshit.”

We’re real close to 1:1 thrust on an empty 1-2hr leg. 60,000lbs of thrust a side and 180-190k take off weight.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Can a U-2 leave your airspace before then end of the runway? :v:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

loudest loving planes I have ever heard/seen and I worked on B1s, their climb is absurd

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Plinkey posted:

loudest loving planes I have ever heard/seen and I worked on B1s, their climb is absurd

Nothing I’ve ever seen in aviation is as cool or loud as a B1 taking off with full burners at night.

e:
https://youtu.be/Kci3xCPkRMg

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

e.pilot posted:

Nothing I’ve ever seen in aviation is as cool or loud as a B1 taking off with full burners at night.

e:

true, but U2s would go from silent to setting of car alarms in like 5 seconds

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 22, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The U2 is basically a 1950s fighter with glider wings welded to it. Imagine what it was like when all the planes were like that!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Godholio posted:

I don't know how many HATRs we had in the desert. I do know that not a single one of them stuck because every C-17 pilot in Afghanistan apparently figured our directions were suggestions and hey fucknuts it's all recorded. Drones had the reputation for getting the barely-competent new pilots, but I'm convinced that in the mid 2000s it was actually C-17. gently caress like 75% of them right in the eye.

I knew a guy who graduated college mid 2000s as AFROTC and ended up flying C-17s. I knew him since Boy Scouts and that guy always was a pile of poo poo.

Same guy flies drones now lol.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The U2 is basically a 1950s fighter with glider wings welded to it. Imagine what it was like when all the planes were like that!

T-33s are really quiet compared to modern fighters, and even airliners tbh. They just kind of whistle.

e: i guess that's technically a 1940s design

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

No, but I’ve seen one exit class A airspace before most air carriers can break 23k.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ suitably impressive

Minto Took posted:

I knew a guy who graduated college mid 2000s as AFROTC and ended up flying C-17s. I knew him since Boy Scouts and that guy always was a pile of poo poo.

Same guy flies drones now lol.

How did he not jump to an airline, did he just not like flying? Thinks that he can stick it out to 20 years?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

e.pilot posted:

Ho.....holy poo poo.....just :psyduck:

Flying around your entire family as a student pilot, and it somehow only gets worse :psyduck:

hell at least he didn't have his family with him when he bought it

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

How did he not jump to an airline, did he just not like flying? Thinks that he can stick it out to 20 years?

Retirement pension is my guess. He was going to go fighters just like everyone else with a flight contract and "chose" transport for the quality of life.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

e.pilot posted:

e:

:stare: :fh:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
:flashfap:

JFC

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s literally what it is, it’s based on a F-104.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IioGXVBlVZM&t=140s

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Word on the street was that C-17 pilot had his own checklists he “developed” for that maneuver. When flight safety got into his office, the case was basically a slam dunk against him.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh Neb, a used book store here has a copy of The Giant Airships from a collection put out from Time Life. If that store opens up, let me know if you want me to nab it for you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

e:

To this day, my favorite air show moment was at the very first Shell Air and Sea Show in Fort Lauderdale. I was wearing foam earplugs, and floating in the ocean face up as the Bone came across show center at full burner for its sneak pass.

You could FEEL IT THROUGH THE WATER.

I’m still amazed I managed to not join the military.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bloops posted:

Oh Neb, a used book store here has a copy of The Giant Airships from a collection put out from Time Life. If that store opens up, let me know if you want me to nab it for you.

Thanks for looking out for me and my obsession! That's one I've managed to snag. It's an overview of "crazy rigid airship stories" but it is well researched and written; Douglas Robinson, the guy who wrote "The Zeppelin in Combat" was a consultant on it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You got it man.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

loving hell, that's a heavy watch.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve probably posted this anecdote half a dozen times but a B-1 passing directly overhead (used my position as reference) at 100 ft agl and mach .99 or so was the most absurd flyby I’ve ever experienced. Exited the flyover with a steep climbing turn plus afterburner. Had earplugs plus hands over head and it still just worked my whole body. Guy next to me decided he didn’t need foam plugs and ended up curled on the ground like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e.pilot posted:

e:

this is the sound of the end of the world