Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

W.T. Fits posted:

The best part of the old random skill inheritance system was when you'd spend upwards of an hour rerolling the skills until it finally landed on the combination you wanted... and then you got a fusion accident, resulting in a completely different demon, rendering all that effort pointless. :shepicide:

At least when that happens the accident gets the same inherited skills, so sometimes it works out fine. Very, very rarely it even ends up being better than the original.

klapman posted:

this but reflexively backing all the way out of it and resetting it again instead

This however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

Smt4a had a really good balance right until you recruit that girl who can kill all the random encounters on turn 0 for you

Like I'm not complaining about it per se it's just I think maybe the proc chance for that skill should have been lowered a bit

Never played SMT4A but that sounds especially bad in an SMT considering that it would make it really difficult to recruit demons if they mostly get insta-killed first.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Item Getter posted:

Never played SMT4A but that sounds especially bad in an SMT considering that it would make it really difficult to recruit demons if they mostly get insta-killed first.

The rate only becomes intense in the second to last dungeon and you can always just choose who is in your party.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Item Getter posted:

It only procs if you have her as a companion, it's just except in the case of wanting some fusion fodder you basically have no reason not to use her

Well other then bosses of course

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/ChaosArgate/status/1261321905514086406

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My SMT4A save is still stuck right before Vishnu-Flynn.

Every 3 months I tell myself I should go back and beat it. But it’s just so drat expensive to get new demons from the compendium that it feels tedious and impractical to prepare for the fight well.

Maybe someday.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

My SMT4A save is still stuck right before Vishnu-Flynn.

Every 3 months I tell myself I should go back and beat it. But it’s just so drat expensive to get new demons from the compendium that it feels tedious and impractical to prepare for the fight well.

Maybe someday.

I think the difficulty you're on affects those costs, so I would just set it to easy to buy them and then set it back to whatever you're on. It's kind of stupid that the difficulty affects that, to be honest.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Smt4a had a really good balance right until you recruit that girl who can kill all the random encounters on turn 0 for you

Like I'm not complaining about it per se it's just I think maybe the proc chance for that skill should have been lowered a bit

Toki is best girl.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I decided to finally finish Nocturne after a couple false starts and setting it aside, and I found out there's a translation of the version with Raidou so I went with that.

I just finished the Labyrinth of Amala and had a brief bit of panic at a freeze during the cutscene after the last boss, but I found a workaround in a reddit comment: the saves aren't interchangeable with the unpatched version, but they are with the NA version of Nocturne, so after fighting the boss you can go back to the entrance, save, walk back down, watch the cutscene, then save and continue with the translated version.

Raidou changes to Dante when you're in the NA version of the game, so I imagine that works both ways and you can load your NA save in the translated Chronicles version if you want to check out Raidou's moves without having to get through most of the game again. He's cool and reminding me that I also still need to finish the second Raidou game at some point. The first one was really good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Raidou games are very underrated w/their art and OST. The 2nd game I found was a huge upgrade over the 1st which I read a LP for it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I'm at the tail end of Persona 5 Royal and I was looking through my dresser for stuff to play next (well, besides Trials of Mana and Xenoblade Definitive Edition) and I saw that I guess I have a shrink-wrapped Strange Journey Redux that I don't remember ever buying.

I played through the original DS version, but how did people like Strange Journey Redux?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MechaX posted:

I played through the original DS version, but how did people like Strange Journey Redux?

It's flat out "they address all the quality of life and story complaints while giving it a mass of new content" edition. Straight improvement.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I would outright sacrifice modern Persona if it meant Raidou got a new entry with Persona 5's budget.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Namnesor posted:

I would outright sacrifice modern Persona if it meant Raidou got a new entry with Persona 5's budget.

same. justice for raidou

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

give us devil summoner 3 and market raidou with it, but when the game releases raiho is actually the main protag

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If we have to sacrifice Persona, gently caress it: Gimme Devil Survivor III AND Digital Devil Saga III.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MechaX posted:

I'm at the tail end of Persona 5 Royal and I was looking through my dresser for stuff to play next (well, besides Trials of Mana and Xenoblade Definitive Edition) and I saw that I guess I have a shrink-wrapped Strange Journey Redux that I don't remember ever buying.

Strange journey is one of my fav smts and redux takes every complaint I had with the original (including some story aspects) and addresses them. It is the best version of the game released

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Wark Say posted:

If we have to sacrifice Persona, gently caress it: Gimme Devil Survivor III AND Digital Devil Saga III.

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 had a nice and complete story; I don't know what a third one could add. I'd rather have remakes for modern consoles than a continuation.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 had a nice and complete story; I don't know what a third one could add. I'd rather have remakes for modern consoles than a continuation.

Yeah, there weren't really any loose ends. I'd take a remake over DDS3: The Fred Saga

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Oxxidation posted:

the only remotely decent law character in the series is the one who told the heavenly host that their way of doing things sucks, so i doubt the holy rollers would be thrilled by a closer examination

are you talking about Amane from Devil Survivor?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Junpei posted:

are you talking about Amane from Devil Survivor?

shoot that who I guessed they were talking about too

You even have some agency in the Chaos route of being like "being a demon lord is cool but... nah, we really don't have to turn everything into a demon free-for-all unless they gently caress up big again"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 23, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MechaX posted:

shoot that who I guessed they were talking about too

You even have some agency in the Chaos route of being like "being a demon lord is cool but... nah, we really don't have to turn everything into a demon free-for-all unless they gently caress up big again"

I love that ending so much as both humans and demons unite as one to deal with the bullshit that is heaven.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's less "The Fred Saga" on DDS and just... I dunno, getting to see more of the Junkyard? Like SMTIVA had a fun idea of "what if we followed someone else's perspective?" sorta thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wark Say posted:

It's less "The Fred Saga" on DDS and just... I dunno, getting to see more of the Junkyard? Like SMTIVA had a fun idea of "what if we followed someone else's perspective?" sorta thing.

The problem with this is in DDS1 you canonically eat everyone else. Or at least eat the people that ate the other people.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Digital Devil Saga 3: A series of vignettes where you're introduced to a character from the Junkyard, have a short adventure, and once you're used to their quirks and personality and adore them, they're horribly slaughtered and eaten by team Embryon. This happens, like, eight times. For the final boss battle, you play as the ghosts of all the previous characters VS Serph, while the cat monologues about the inevitability of suffering. This fight is unwinnable.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Digital Devil Saga 3: A series of vignettes where you're introduced to a character from the Junkyard, have a short adventure, and once you're used to their quirks and personality and adore them, they're horribly slaughtered and eaten by team Embryon. This happens, like, eight times. For the final boss battle, you play as the ghosts of all the previous characters VS Serph, while the cat monologues about the inevitability of suffering. This fight is unwinnable.

Directed by Yoko Taro

This might be a bit out of the scope of this thread, but has anyone checked out the Avatar Tuner novels? They were being translated into english at one point but I don't know how far they got

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Directed by Yoko Taro

I don't know how you fit bullet hell sequences into SMT but i'd like to find out

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't know how you fit bullet hell sequences into SMT but i'd like to find out
Kazuma Kaneko gets out of his flower field, approaches ZUN and says "I need your help".

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

did you forget that nocturne already has a, uh, tunnel flying minigame, for lack of a better term

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Dds2 already had some also

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Amppelix posted:

did you forget that nocturne already has a, uh, tunnel flying minigame, for lack of a better term
Always remember:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wark Say posted:

Always remember:

always the one i got last, with a guide to boot

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I like the Asakusa Puzzle Boy minigame. :shobon:

...Well, most of it anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i played most of it but gave up (and used a guide) when the last 5 or so levels just start having a huge combinatorial explosion of possibilities to try.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I would have beaten it by myself if you could stop and resume at any time, but being forced to do it in one sitting is too much.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

It has been a while so maybe I did know this at one point, but I was on like the fourth kalpa in my current (and now-finished) Nocturne run before I realized you could punch through the obstacles.

Edit: in the tunnels of course, not the puzzle game

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The puzzle mini game is a perfectly competent Sokoban clone with a cute aesthetic but it overstays its welcome by a couple of stages.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

SMT is extremely good and cool. Whens the next game.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

SMT is extremely good and cool. Whens the next game.

smt5 will come out three months before the switch 2 comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Sampatrick posted:

smt5 will come out three months before the switch 2 comes out

drat I can't believe it's never coming out