Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Giving me big "poo poo My Dad Says" vibes where they're looking for anything cheap to grab during a writers strike/pandemic. John Krasinski is a CIA asset anyway, gently caress him.

CBS? Desperate for content? I don't know where you would get that ide

https://twitter.com/CBS/status/1263516614776877058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm suddenly kind of sad I don't pay more attention to broadcast tv and aren't witnessing the trainwreck of pandemic television closer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm suddenly kind of sad I don't pay more attention to broadcast tv and aren't witnessing the trainwreck of pandemic television closer.

The Last Leg has started doing "Lockdown-Under" (because the host is at home in Australia) episodes and the show has such a shoestring let's-wing-it style anyway it actually feels charming. Just three friends hanging out slinging jabs at each other, then some guest spends five minutes trying to get their Skype working.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

STAC Goat posted:

At this point the audience for broadcast television is mostly stacked like cordwood in the basement of their nursing home.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DaveWoo posted:

CBS? Desperate for content? I don't know where you would get that ide

https://twitter.com/CBS/status/1263516614776877058

I am actually down for this for the sole reason that people might appreciate the skill it takes to cut and style hair well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress I love this finale/the whole show so much

I am kind of drunk and listening to “let the mystery be” right now.

If I put on the final episodes I would be crying pretty hard.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
gently caress I love Derry Girls so much. What a pure beautiful show

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

friendly PSA to watch Extracurricular

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

friendly PSA to watch Extracurricular

Finished it yesterday and I gotta agree. I never thought I would watch and love a Korean show but it’s so intense and the characters own and it’s great

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, uh, Celebrity Watch Party, is it just a bunch of rich people reacting to clips of TV?

My roommate told me it sucked, so I watched an episode of Melrose Place on Hulu instead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Homecoming season 2 was definitely not as good as s1 but I still had a good time watching it. It’s a fun story with a great conclusion. Plus it has Janelle Monae and Hong Chau as the two leads! AND (end of ep 2 spoiler) they’re girlfriends!!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Crowned posted:

So, uh, Celebrity Watch Party, is it just a bunch of rich people reacting to clips of TV?

My roommate told me it sucked, so I watched an episode of Melrose Place on Hulu instead.

Yeah it's a US branded series of Gogglebox which is hugely successful in the UK and Australia. Some people hate it and I thought watching people watching TV sounded dumb but my wife and I really enjoy it. Especially when political poo poo hits the fan like when Boris Johnson (the UK PM) got COVID-19 and almost died. It really hinges on the charisma of the families watching though. As for the American version, it's meh. The US fucks up a lot of UK exports for some reason by adding more drama. Perfect example is when they did a US version of Bake Off. One dude came in like "I'MA gently caress SOME PEOPLE UP IF THEY TRY TO BEAT ME!" and it was really weird and off putting so they tried to tone it down with some personal redemption arc for the guy by the end of the season but the whole thing sucked and was awkward.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Homecoming season 2 was definitely not as good as s1 but I still had a good time watching it. It’s a fun story with a great conclusion. Plus it has Janelle Monae and Hong Chau as the two leads! AND (end of ep 2 spoiler) they’re girlfriends!!

Oh drat that's out already?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah! And it’s short, too - only 7 episodes - so it’s an easy binge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Re: Plinkett's Picard review

EL BROMANCE posted:

Worth watching if you've never seen the show and have no intention to?

Answer: no. I got about 10 minutes in and was bored as hell. Shame, I enjoyed the Star Trek movie ones he did even though I don't care about Trek.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1263871384368930817?s=21

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

Re: Plinkett's Picard review

Answer: no. I got about 10 minutes in and was bored as hell. Shame, I enjoyed the Star Trek movie ones he did even though I don't care about Trek.

Pretty much all the specific criticisms in it are complaining that it's different from old Treks by making incredibly precise nitpicks based on the events of a single episode of a TV show that aired over thirty years ago. It's basically a really complicated essay about how the showrunners are Fake Nerds because if they really cared about Star Trek they would have known that X happened in episode Y which invalidates minor plot point Z, smattered with a bunch of unironic fanfiction of what they wish the show was.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

This rules, I was just thinking about some other network picking up the show when I heard Tiffany Haddish on Solar Opposites. I wonder if season 2 will eventually make its way to Netflix, since all of the adult swim stuff is on Hulu atm. Or is it more likely that season 1 will end up somewhere else? Good news regardless.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much all the specific criticisms in it are complaining that it's different from old Treks by making incredibly precise nitpicks based on the events of a single episode of a TV show that aired over thirty years ago. It's basically a really complicated essay about how the showrunners are Fake Nerds because if they really cared about Star Trek they would have known that X happened in episode Y which invalidates minor plot point Z, smattered with a bunch of unironic fanfiction of what they wish the show was.

I don't watch a huge amount of RLM, but that feels like the kind of viewpoint they'd mock with their Nerd Crew videos.

It's weird how the Plinkett stuff is either really good or super awful, it never falls into 'OK' territory. Probably should've just given up after the prequels and Ghost Dog or whatever that POS film was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

This rules, I was just thinking about some other network picking up the show when I heard Tiffany Haddish on Solar Opposites. I wonder if season 2 will eventually make its way to Netflix, since all of the adult swim stuff is on Hulu atm. Or is it more likely that season 1 will end up somewhere else? Good news regardless.

Since it's Turner, I would expect that Season 2+ will eventually go to HBO MAX.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

bull3964 posted:

Since it's Turner, I would expect that Season 2+ will eventually go to HBO MAX.

Eww gross

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is this the first time that some other network has picked up a show that Netflix cancelled?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Didn’t someone pick up One Day at a Time

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Pop TV are airing season 4 now (well, it’s currently on a COVID break)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1263897451536187399

Whooo boy that's a take, didn't know Dr. Luke had a kinja

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gee, I wonder why its all "her" and "actress" and not like... guys.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Couldn't find an answer, but HBO Maxx is going to have all seasons of all their shows, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would assume. HBO Go and HBO Now do (with a few random old show exceptions). It would be a weird and poor business decision to pull that for the big new app launch considering HBO shows are obviously a big part of the catalogue.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tuca and Bertie's getting a second season on Adult Swim.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For your past service FAU, I shan't own you for this posting faux pas.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

For your past service FAU, I shan't own you for this posting faux pas.
If people were already talking about it, great. They should be, it's a great show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What We Do in the Shadows was renewed for another season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

God drat right it was!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

gently caress yeah, all my other favorite comedies were cancelled last year (RIP The Tick and Santa Clarita Diet) so it’s nice to have one still going.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just caught up with this season and it got real weird and I kind of love it. Its like the goal of this season was to figure out what weird non-vampire monsters they could work in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dope

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BAT!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

At this point the audience for broadcast television is mostly stacked like cordwood in the basement of their nursing home.

NCIS’s declining viewership isn’t because its audience stopped watching, I think they just mostly died.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm convinced that NBC genre shows from other timeliness keep appearing in ours. For example, Timeless, which I don't recall ever hearing anything about yet apparently has two seasons and concerns Amantha from Rectify as a time traveling professor. It's not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It also got canceled after season 1 but fan outcry was so great that it got reversed.