Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I was gonna say Vietnam seems to have done one of the most impressive jobs out of anyone.

Well besides that one dumbass that skirted through customs and bragged about it (they caught up with her later and punished her).

Vietnam is doing well, though you do have to keep in mind they are also an authoritarian country with information control so you have to put an asterisk by their numbers, you don't have to do that with Taiwan or South Korea.

I don't think they're covering up mass outbreak or anything, just wouldn't be surprised if they're lowballing it in the official data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Maaate, this bloke's a fucken dead set mad oval office.

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1262912068514009088

Seriously though, I truly hope the CCP doesn't get a hold of this guy and ruin/disappear him.

https://twitter.com/hebeipangzai/status/1254618867537596417?s=20

Haha this guy owns.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Grand Fromage posted:

Vietnam is doing well, though you do have to keep in mind they are also an authoritarian country with information control so you have to put an asterisk by their numbers, you don't have to do that with Taiwan or South Korea.

I don't think they're covering up mass outbreak or anything, just wouldn't be surprised if they're lowballing it in the official data.

It has been very difficult here.

I don't know how much low-balling they are actually doing (that's the nature of it I guess). But, anecdotally, where I have met several who have been put in quarantine for the thinnest of reasons, I haven't heard of a single fatality.

We did have an influx of Chinese (lower than usual) just as the news broke before LNY/Tet and we all kept our distance and pointed and joked. Masks were flying off the shelves immediately.

Then it went crazy with a bunch of conflicting information coming out of everywhere. Odd, illogical decisions being made about whether foreigners with passports from xyz country could come into the country even if they hadn't been home etc etc.

The correct course of action has prevailed. The usual stuff about ppl trying to sneak around and whatnot has been met with social disapproval rather than any jest.

It's been hard, business have collapsed everywhere, lockdowns were pretty strict. It's only just started back up the past two weeks and it's slow.

Tourism is dead, other than internal stuff (but no one has any money to use the free internal flights on offer.

I snuck my gf in just before Tet, and we enjoyed a month together while we watched it unfold. She returned to SZ on March 1, and she escaped a quarantine.

Maybe our relationship doesn't make it. It's difficult and mental health issues are showing up everywhere, depression, divorce, and suicides are horribly up.

Apologies for sad stuff, I'm not a humorist, I couldn't comment.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Seriously though there’s nothing the CCP can do to him that his liver already hasn’t

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

url posted:

Apologies for sad stuff, I'm not a humorist, I couldn't comment.
Hey man, it's a hard time so thanks for sharing. Also it beats having to tell it to the five people in E/N.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alan Smithee posted:

Seriously though there’s nothing the CCP can do to him that his liver already hasn’t

hard disagree, obviously his liver hasn't strapped him to a chair and given him a clockwork orange procedure to make him afraid of beer

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

The White Dragon posted:

hard disagree, obviously his liver hasn't strapped him to a chair and given him a clockwork orange procedure to make him afraid of beer

Living in a country with Snow beer usually accomplishes the same thing.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i got a haircut the other day and the barber asked if i liked any chinese beer and after awkwardly answering tsingtao was ok he laughed and was like "lol i also hate chinese beer. who the heck likes snow??? can it even be considered beer???" and then he told me about a nearby bar with dece prices on hitachino beers.

overall a successful encounter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Was anyone involved Chinese

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Was anyone involved Chinese

yeah the barber was chinese (I assume) and the whole conversation was in chinese. i am not chinese tho.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

a nice bud to befriend

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
One of my buddies on twitter said that HK is gonna be behind the firewall starting tonight. I thought the CCP was having a hard time with that effort, but apparently they just forced it through under emergency laws.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

who was the "wacko" trump was referring to

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Vaporware posted:

One of my buddies on twitter said that HK is gonna be behind the firewall starting tonight. I thought the CCP was having a hard time with that effort, but apparently they just forced it through under emergency laws.
source? also, lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jeoh posted:

source? also, lol

BBC News - China proposes controversial Hong Kong security law
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-52759578

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y84PaGm9rdc

:kimchi:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

oh man that was some heartwarming poo poo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just noticed that the regular posters in the comment sections of Canadian newspapers are using the Iraq WMD investigation to explain that Meng is not going to get a fair trial in the US if she's deported. Pretty damning evidence of CCP orchestrated commenting in foreign newspapers.

CBC and The National Post seem to be the most common targets since they still allow commenting on articles and have the highest readership in Canada.

What I find funny is that their commenters use Chinese names, which outs them very easily. You'd think they would at least use non-Chinese names to be a bit more subtle.

Apparently Meng's case will pass another hurdle some time next week.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

I think that's a pretty common symbiosis in Vancouver - house full of young people and a little old Chinese lady colonizing the garden and recycling all the cans. My mother in law has almost exactly that house next door to her complete with an Ah Yi and her makeshift bean trellis.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Based cantonese aunties

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

beautiful

east van represent!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mods please change my name to "A-yi saying Aiya".

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Vaporware posted:

yeah i get the fear mongering but so far everything works without a VPN

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It'll probably take some time to implement, but yeah. Two systems one country is dead. Sign up for a VPN now while you can, HKgoons.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
1C2S is dead but at least our precious flag and emblem can now soundly sleep safe knowing the law has their back and will protect them from any desecration

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What of the HK vigil about nothing in two weeks? There might be a lot of nothing in response to this.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 3, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shanghai has Popeye's now but the line is always 4+ hours long so I haven't gone yet, but I want to check out this chicken sandwich.

Apparently, their marketing was too good and they have terrible reviews online cuz of the lines but people who have had it say its better than KFC.

This is my mundane china news for today.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Popeye's is crispier than KFC, but I think KFC has more flavour.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
just come to hk for popeyes, like i would go to shanghai for taco bell

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Kill All Cops posted:

just come to hk for popeyes, like i would go to shanghai for taco bell

they just opened a new one near my house that has a bar called "Liquor Bell" inside.

e: ill come to HK as soon as leaving where i am now isn't a one-way return to the US, and afaict, only the US.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 22, 2020

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Just noticed that the regular posters in the comment sections of Canadian newspapers are using the Iraq WMD investigation to explain that Meng is not going to get a fair trial in the US if she's deported. Pretty damning evidence of CCP orchestrated commenting in foreign newspapers.

the us is a fascist hellhole and fair trials of a foreigner are a forlorn dream for abetter place and time

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Meng is getting 2000% of the fairness she deserves up here (especially relative to our citizens spending two years in fridges because of Hurt Feelings), so should the extradition go through I'd be happy with a one-way trip to federal pen next to Chapo.

Small Gay Planet posted:

the us is a fascist hellhole
:lol: nice ninja edit, how many passport stamps do you have from actual fascist hellholes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 28, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Shanghai has Popeye's now but the line is always 4+ hours long so I haven't gone yet, but I want to check out this chicken sandwich.

It's fine but it's nothing special. Probably the only way you're going to get decent red beans and rice in China unless you make some, tho.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Barudak posted:

Hrmmm, my move to Hong Kong probably wont happen now, for reasons.

debating with myself over chicken burgering my social media but on the other hand, getting arrested for saying gently caress china before it was cool would kinda own

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shumagorath posted:

Meng is getting 2000% of the fairness she deserves up here (especially relative to our citizens spending two years in fridges because of Hurt Feelings), so should the extradition go through I'd be happy with a one-way trip to federal pen next to Chapo.

If they had any brains, they should have somehow diverted the plane to Seattle and been done with it. No need for extradition if she's already in the US. Then again, hindsight is 20-20. The two Michaels rotting in China are probably going to be there for a very long time if she does end up in the US. The fact that they have not been officially charged with anything that has a shred of evidence (made up or not) is pretty telling what China thinks of the rule of law.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blistex posted:

The fact that they have not been officially charged with anything that has a shred of evidence (made up or not) is pretty telling what China thinks of the rule of law.
That bingo card I never ended up making had "According to the law" right next to "No Why" as the free square. Someone in the last thread said it well when we got on a SovCit tangent - law in PRC is like the Sovereign Citizens Getting Owned video except the guy ranting at P. Barnes is the judge.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Kill All Cops posted:

debating with myself over chicken burgering my social media but on the other hand, getting arrested for saying gently caress china before it was cool would kinda own

:rip: caberham

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
world's gotta do something about these communists in china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
weird how in 1960s tankies were hunted down like it was salem but now its 2020 and we're hemming and hawing to what they have to offer