Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Araxxor posted:

Basically it's just Turf Wars. At night. That's all there is to it gameplay wise. Oh and this is the only time you can team up with friends and such in Turf Wars outside of private battles.

Whaaaa? Actual teaming up? drat Nintendo holding back on us or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Feels too soon imo.
On the other hand, nah, it's been three years. Sploots 2 was announced not long after splatfests ended for the original from memory, and that was half a year/a year shorter than the support 2 got.

If they were looking at winding support for the game back up and bringing more kit recolours and old maps from Splats 1 back, i'd maybe be cool waiting, but that doesn't looking to be happening, so ideally I want Splat 3 news sometime next year, or early 2022 at the latest, personally.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

We got Splatoon 2 early cause the Wii U tanked.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just don’t want Nintendo to start doing multiple entires for their premiere multiplayer series’ on the same platform.

Who am I kidding though, I’d be hyped for whatever they do though. I’m just happy 2 is getting another jolt of life into it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Splatoon is such a system seller in Japan I'd see it more as something they'd launch with the next major hardware revision, Switch 2 or whatever it ia

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If they do it, I do think it’ll be a premiere game for a Switch Pro or 2 that’ll also work for the original Switch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Also they started work on Splatoon 2 right after Splatoon 1 launched. In Splatoon 2’s case, that time was instead spent on developing Octo Expansion. And most of the team was working on Animal Crossing New Horizons as well. The producer said a few months ago 3 hadn’t started development yet. (Might’ve changed now, but I doubt we’ll hear too much about it soon, especially with the current world situation.)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The marketing was so bad for it, when you watch the original Wii U launch trailer, it never says "console" it only mentions the new controller.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The marketing was so bad for it, when you watch the original Wii U launch trailer, it never says "console" it only mentions the new controller.

You could say the Wii U had the wrong kind of ads.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Post-Splatocalypse schedules: The Intercondimental Reprisal :siren:

• US May 22th 15:00 PT – May 24st 15:00 PT
  • EU May 23th 0:00 CET – May 25th 0:00 CET
  • JP May 23th 7:00 JT – May 25th 7:00 JT
  • AU/NZ May 23th 8:00 AET – May 25th 8:00 AET
Pick your side and pool players from the Nintengoons discord or wherever you're hanging.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Played for the first time in months, squids still guard eggs.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

What the gently caress? Mayo in squeezers is a thing but it's super awful because half of it always remains stuck somewhere inside... but ketchup in a jar? That's nonsense!
This squidworld is nuts and I wish I hadn't voted at all!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They're equating Ketchup and Tomato Sauce(Like Dolmio or similar). That's....off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Been said before that's kind of a problem with how early Salmon Run teaches you the wrong lessons since bosses are relatively rare, and they don't adjust their behaviour later on where bosses are freaking everywhere.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Bloodly posted:

They're equating Ketchup and Tomato Sauce(Like Dolmio or similar). That's....off.

Ketchup and tomato sauce isn't the same thing? where does catsup play into this?

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

i think its mostly a bunch of new squids whove come on board from the special demo? i feel like egg guarders popped up again only relatively recently

i know i have my work cut out for me when i get a 15-egg quota when im at 900+

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:ohdear: I'm not supposed to guard the eggs?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

YggiDee posted:

The 20 seconds spent guarding 3 eggs could be spent helping defeat other bosses, spawning more eggs that may even be closer to the basket. Quota is king, so don't worry if a handful of eggs vanish at the buzzer or just taken away while you're doing much more important things.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Goldie seeking rounds are the exception. Some egg guarding is usually needed for those in my experience.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, yeah, those are all good points.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tafferling posted:

What the gently caress? Mayo in squeezers is a thing but it's super awful because half of it always remains stuck somewhere inside... but ketchup in a jar? That's nonsense!
This squidworld is nuts and I wish I hadn't voted at all!

Ketchup in a jar is what I think of when i think of ketchup because every diner in America has a glass jar of Heinz on every table

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Takoluka posted:

The 20 seconds spent guarding 3 eggs could be spent helping defeat other bosses, spawning more eggs that may even be closer to the basket. Quota is king, so don't worry if a handful of eggs vanish at the buzzer or just taken away while you're doing much more important things.
at profreshional youll have enough bosses to fill quota several times over. i checked some of the games i had on ark last saturday, at low profreshional a 14/15/17 quota shift had about 40 bosses spawning. at higher ranks, a 20/22/24 quota shift had over 60. best way to handle it is to lure what you can to the basket (scrappers and maws are great), others are situational (steel eels, drizzlers and steelheads can be tricky), the rest you slaughter where you find em (stingers)
https://twitter.com/SmilesHimself/status/1165240911942451201

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

well I have signed on for team ketchup. Maybe I'll try and actually link up with some goons this time.

(Disclaimer: I am gonna be rusty)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Well this is a first. Heinz promoting tweets about the Splatfest. I guess they had some money left in their social media budget.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Smiles posted:

at profreshional youll have enough bosses to fill quota several times over. i checked some of the games i had on ark last saturday, at low profreshional a 14/15/17 quota shift had about 40 bosses spawning. at higher ranks, a 20/22/24 quota shift had over 60. best way to handle it is to lure what you can to the basket (scrappers and maws are great), others are situational (steel eels, drizzlers and steelheads can be tricky), the rest you slaughter where you find em (stingers)
https://twitter.com/SmilesHimself/status/1165240911942451201

I had no idea that you could lure Drizzlers. Do they just attempt to get close to a player before shooting rain then?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said before that's kind of a problem with how early Salmon Run teaches you the wrong lessons since bosses are relatively rare, and they don't adjust their behaviour later on where bosses are freaking everywhere.

Though that doesn't account for how, no matter what level, you have an 80% chance of losing on a Griller or Goldie Hot & Cold stage because people just won't pick up the eggs.

Inu posted:

I had no idea that you could lure Drizzlers. Do they just attempt to get close to a player before shooting rain then?

I don't think you can, but if there's nobody else nearby, I think they usually tend to shoot the balloon in your direction, to which you should shoot it back to instakill them (but almost nobody ever seems to do).

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 22, 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Inu posted:

Enemies in SR reacts to the closest player given that player's current weapon's range. Basically there is an invisible Go line around your character that when mobs hit it they will switch from pathing towards to you being aggressive/firing. Enemies who body you like the regular fish, grillers, scrappers, etc obey these rules mostly in the same way but it's not as obvious and that has more to do with which player they'll choose when they have more than 1 to go after.

This is most apparent with Steelheads as they will stop to fire farther away with chargers & splatlings but your areosprays & JRs practically walk up to Steelheads before they'll fire. Next time you have one by itself without any teammates back up a bit and stand still, you should find they stop just in range for a full powered shot of your given weapon. Drizzlers are the same but their own range is added to the math the game does when deciding on search vs destroy. Knowing this has allowed me to bait them closer to the basket soooo many times which is why I feel it's a very nice thing to be aware of.

Flyfish are a big gently caress you cause they just have a big cone they fire in and stay on the edge of the map on purpose. They are the game's great equalizers against the player.
Edit: Well on the rare occasion you know one is locked onto you and you're near the edge of the map you can make them 180 and not lock on your teammates.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 22, 2020

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

LethalGeek posted:

Excellent salmon run boss info

This post kicks rear end. Thank you.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ketchup's gonna win and many of you are not prepared for that.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
This is my first and probably last splatfest. I'll not tolerate a loss to the mediocre red sauce. Mustard I could cope, not ketchup.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

raditts posted:

I don't think you can, but if there's nobody else nearby, I think they usually tend to shoot the balloon in your direction, to which you should shoot it back to instakill them (but almost nobody ever seems to do).

Unfortunately, Drizzlers have the toughest instakill in the game to pull off, since you can't just shoot down the missile, the angle you shoot it down from has to be opposite of where the Drizzler is. (Fun fact, you can use a Drizzler missile to instantly kill a different Drizzler. It also counts as a bomb, so you can use it to destroy Flyfish baskets.) And more often than not the reflecting angle is completely impossible to pull off because it's right next to a wall, or you just don't have time to line up the shot, especially on higher difficulties. The angle detection can also be a bit finnicky, as you could just miss the reflect by a few inches, or in a few rare cases, the missile goes over the Drizzler instead.

So players tend to just shoot down the missile immediately and just opt to take out the Drizzler the traditional way. Granted if the opportunity really presents itself, you should go for the instakill since Drizzlers are the 2nd beefiest enemy in Salmon Run.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 23, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tafferling posted:

This is my first and probably last splatfest. I'll not tolerate a loss to the mediocre red sauce. Mustard I could cope, not ketchup.

I’d choose mustard over either but mayo is nasty.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Yay! I won clout! What does it mean?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So we on that red sauce?? About to don my splat tee and get in soon.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Tafferling posted:

Yay! I won clout! What does it mean?

Clout is the points you earned for your team that is added up with everyone's to find the winner at the end. Its based off your inked territory during the match and a bonus if you win.

So as always shooting the floor is more important than shooting squids.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Time to relive the anecdotal win of the other team

All the good JP people picked Mayo, so gently caress it lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat it feels good to be back.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Tafferling posted:

Mayo supremacy

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Lord Lambeth posted:

Mayo supremacy

Pulled off the closest possible win for Team Mayo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Oh course my Switch had to break right before the rematch. Go Ketchup fans, My heart goes out to give you power!