Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

Vet: "What was the dog's name?"

Picard, his expression beatific: "Wolfy."

Your foster synth family is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgNQx1iX6A4

real friggen smooth, wesley.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Brawnfire posted:

I would be so pissed if I ended up in a robot body and they made me old, mortal, and without flashy tweaked features

Wasn't that literally Cylon Al's beef in BSG?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the couple throwaway lines about klingon sneezes in TNG episode 13 are such a great example of lighthearted writing with good comedic timing. i can't think of anything like that in the nutrek, they'd never have lines like geordi and worf's "I feel a sneeze coming on" "a klingon sneeze?" "it's the only kind I know" then, a few minutes later, a scene opening with worf sneezing really loud and interrupting the comm chime while geordi is in command

the relentless darkness of all the recent stuff is such a bummer even watching the first season of tng's like...third stupidest episode, the one with the matriarchy where riker has to wear a sexy outfit

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Riker is always sexy

https://youtu.be/Hfzkgc6r6-A

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The little clip of Patrick Stewart from Jeffrey at the beginning was great.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Frog Act posted:

the couple throwaway lines about klingon sneezes in TNG episode 13 are such a great example of lighthearted writing with good comedic timing. i can't think of anything like that in the nutrek, they'd never have lines like geordi and worf's "I feel a sneeze coming on" "a klingon sneeze?" "it's the only kind I know" then, a few minutes later, a scene opening with worf sneezing really loud and interrupting the comm chime while geordi is in command

the relentless darkness of all the recent stuff is such a bummer even watching the first season of tng's like...third stupidest episode, the one with the matriarchy where riker has to wear a sexy outfit

TNG Season 1 rules, and don't let the haters in this thread convince you otherwise. It gave us Q, Lwaxana, Lore, Dixon Hill, Ferengi, the Crystalline Entity, the Farpoint aliens, Home Soil, Conspiracy head asplode, The Good Ship Lollipop, Data's love of Sherlock Holmes, Riker's answer to the guardian of the Tkon Empire, and so much good stuff. It felt like TOS set in the '80s, and it loving ruled. It had rough spots, but it will always be my favorite season because it had Tasha Yar and the Q being a naughty little munchkin (and calling Worf a microbrain).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

"season 1 star trek = bad" is an overblown thing imo. yeah sure s1 tng isn't as good as like s4 tng -- a stellar season of television -- but it's still fun and not a hard watch. season 1 ds9 isn't dominion war level, but it's got a great share of good episodes, plus a killer pilot. all of voyager isn't great so s1 ain't an outlier. etc. etc. season 1's are mostly fine.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I liked season 1 of Enterprise

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

piratepilates posted:

"season 1 star trek = bad" is an overblown thing imo. yeah sure s1 tng isn't as good as like s4 tng -- a stellar season of television -- but it's still fun and not a hard watch. season 1 ds9 isn't dominion war level, but it's got a great share of good episodes, plus a killer pilot. all of voyager isn't great so s1 ain't an outlier. etc. etc. season 1's are mostly fine.

Oh you can still dunk on Season 1 of Voyager for specific reasons; It's short, has no proper season finale, and the majority of the episodes take play on Voyager itself.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Season 1 of TNG also had wall to wall Ron Jones

I rest my case

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I liked season 1 of Enterprise

All seasons of Enterprise are good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

HD DAD posted:

All seasons of Enterprise are good.

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Danaru posted:

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been a log time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

Season 1 of TNG also had wall to wall Ron Jones

I rest my case

Dennis McCarthy wrote a lot of S1 music too and he could do good music too, although he leaned a bit harder on motifs he'd setup previously; The Arsenal of Freedom is one of his episodes and I think it's got some great tracks. He was just more willing to toe the line when Berman told him to make the music mushy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Enterprise isn't Star Trek

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's been a log time

:vince:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just watched the TNG where Geordie and Ro Laren get stuck out of phase and I thought, you know how hard it is to get all your accounts reactivated when you come back to work after extended leave? Imagine that but from being dead.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And also as head of security the whole process is handled by Worf

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Enterprise isn't Star Trek

Well the first two seasons arent, but in season 3 and 4 it ays so in the title

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

And also as head of security the whole process is handled by Worf
Imagine the paperwork involved in reactivating someone's rights to eject the warp core.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Splicer posted:

Just watched the TNG where Geordie and Ro Laren get stuck out of phase and I thought, you know how hard it is to get all your accounts reactivated when you come back to work after extended leave? Imagine that but from being dead.

I wonder who got promoted to chief engineer when they thought Geordie was dead? LOL at that guy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

"Finally! Chief Engineer Reginald Endicott Barclay the Thi-"

*comm badge chirps*

"Barclay here."

"Hey, Reg, it's Geordi! I'm back!"

"Oh...oh, that's wonderful news, sir..."

*silently cries*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The music in TNG seasons 1 and 2 is buoyed heavily by Ron Jones. McCarthy and Chattaway certainly aren't bad composers but they are the ones responsible for the glut of forgettable "danger chords" music that dominates star trek. Which is a shame because both of them have done excellent work like Inner Light, Call to Arms, the DS9 theme and the aforementioned Arsenal of Freedom.

Chattaway especially can be phenomenal when he's on his game. The ending to Call to Arms has got to be one of the best season finales in Trek history, tied only with Best of Both Worlds for how drat good it is, and Chattaway's music is what seals it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9xvOS2xa4

Forget about violence and potty mouthed admirals in Picard. Seeing Starfleet, a humanitarian exploration and home defense organization turned into a warfleet is one of the most shocking and depressing (in a good way) things Star Trek has ever done. There's just a sense of tragedy that this is what it has come to, and Chattaway's musical crescendo doesn't signify triumph as much as it does a sense of foreboding for what is to come.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 22, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder who got promoted to chief engineer when they thought Geordie was dead? LOL at that guy.

<Keep it together, Argyle. Yes, I've been demoted, but I'll work my way back to chief someday.>

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Picard had like a 20-year stint as captain before he got another decade+ on the Enterprise. The only hope anyone has to move up the ladder is for the person above you to die horrifically, because otherwise they're going to be in that position forever.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

On a similar note, I have always been amused anytime the show suggests that Worf could be promoted to fill any other vacant role (like first officer, or Data's station). Like, honestly, after having Data at Ops for years, wouldn't Worf be the biggest letdown? Does anyone actually think he could handle that job?

If Worf doesn't get to shoot phasers, or get thrown across the room, he may as well not even be in Star Fleet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wonder who did all the actual work running security while worf stood around doing nothing on the bridge? it's like he was doing the spock double duty thing of first/science officer, except no one ever acknowledged that having a tactical officer might be nice.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wonder who did all the actual work running security while worf stood around doing nothing on the bridge? it's like he was doing the spock double duty thing of first/science officer, except no one ever acknowledged that having a tactical officer might be nice.

he was the weapons guy too, so presumably he had some subordinate who was like the head of all the guys who died randomly on planets

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

shovelbum posted:

he was the weapons guy too, so presumably he had some subordinate who was like the head of all the guys who died randomly on planets

See, Tasha's problem was she never learned how to delegate, and insisted on doing all the random dying herself.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You know what? Why does everyone get to sit except that position?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

OSHA
no sitting in the aisles please

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He got a little bar stool in Generations, which was even sillier because that console space is enormous and clearly meant for either one person standing or two people sitting.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

We already have standing desks, desks you have to outwit in a Wile E. Coyote-esque fashion in order to get any work done are the future

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you've got to be prepared at all times for a boarding party to materialise next to, and begin wrestling you for, the controls.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

you've got to be prepared at all times for a boarding party to materialise next to, and begin wrestling you for, the controls.

it would have been really funny if that happened and then worf won the wrestling match.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Communist Walrus posted:

Picard had like a 20-year stint as captain before he got another decade+ on the Enterprise. The only hope anyone has to move up the ladder is for the person above you to die horrifically, because otherwise they're going to be in that position forever.

I don't think the Enterprise really counts in the sense you think it does, because it's the flagship of Starfleet. He's practically an Admiral in all but name with the authority he can and has thrown around during TNG at times.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's why it was such a big deal when Worf broke his spine: couldn't have manned the tactical station anymore. Cause future society might not care if you're bald or blind but Starfleet bridge architects sure as hell care that you're not in a wheelchair.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He’s always standing and loves prune juice: the answer is haemorrhoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Torquemada posted:

He’s always standing and loves prune juice: the answer is haemorrhoids.

The pain stick treatment is nothing compared to what he goes through every day on the head.