Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There was the one one the big island of Hawai'i with the unsanitary hog slaughter and stump removed chained to the stump, and the other one in West Texas, which would've coincidentally been located not far from the route of Muerte's death march.

Wasn't the one in Texas one of those classics where the OP goes "Hey guys check out our great idea!" and then the rest of the thread is just goons rightly dunking on them forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Wasn't the one in Texas one of those classics where the OP goes "Hey guys check out our great idea!" and then the rest of the thread is just goons rightly dunking on them forever?

Texarrakis had enough momentum that they apparently had bought the land, at least

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the commune was called "texarrakis" but i dont know if they had a thread here or just a thread making fun of them. if you google the name you can find some REALLY insufferable articles about the founders

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

fun hater posted:

if you google the name you can find some REALLY insufferable articles about the founders

Much like the United States of America

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

is there a rundown of that time some goons all pitched in to buy a private island and realised they were flabby losers who couldn't do anything and were living in hell?

This?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Texarrakis had a slight friend of goon connection but it was a thread for making fun of them.
My crazy friends decided to move to the middle of the desert in West Texas

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 21, 2020

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Texarrakis had enough momentum that they apparently had bought the land, at least

While you are certainly welcome to your interpretation of events, I don't think I'd describe putting an impulse purchase of $650 on your mum's credit card as "momentum".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

aardwolf posted:

While you are certainly welcome to your interpretation of events, I don't think I'd describe putting an impulse purchase of $650 on your mum's credit card as "momentum".

:shrug: I remembered it wrong. too much weed I guess

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
that's happened twice, because there was definitely a GBS thread where a british/irish/euroweird found a similar useless patch of desert on sale for the lowlow and was p[osting about buying it before everyone talked about what an impossibility it would be to manage access easments and water & such,

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

that's happened twice, because there was definitely a GBS thread where a british/irish/euroweird found a similar useless patch of desert on sale for the lowlow and was p[osting about buying it before everyone talked about what an impossibility it would be to manage access easments and water & such,

Unusable land is always super cheap. Hell, land in terrible areas is usually super cheap too. You can by vacant land in Chicago for about $2000 if you're willing to try and live in a really loving rough neighborhood. They used to sell lots for like $1, but I think they stopped that in the last few years.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Texarrakis land is like, you would die in a matter of days quality terrible.

I feel like it's fairly common for online idiots to get bright ideas about buying up land in like, the southwest or the australian bush or somewhere utterly poo poo and trying to make a commune.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's one of those things where people are really bad at taking a moment of introspection and asking "do I know something no one else knows or does everyone else k ow something I don't?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Be better off buying this and fixing it up:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6522-S-Paulina-St-2_Chicago_IL_60636_M82673-13183?cid=prt_areavibes_listings_top

Baaaaaaaaad neighborhood, but at least there's gonna be running water and ambulances will eventually show up if you need them....probably.

Nemins
Oct 27, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6522-S-Paulina-St-2_Chicago_IL_60636_M82673-13183?cid=prt_areavibes_listings_top

Baaaaaaaaad neighborhood, but at least there's gonna be running water and ambulances will eventually show up if you need them....probably.

Does it come with a Frank Gallagher or do I have to supply my own?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

aardwolf posted:

hahahha the shade from one of the randos interviewed about this

quote:

Even so, Rosen was taken aback to hear the foursome was moving to a place that remote. “I’m surprised they’re not bringing the croquet set,’’ he said. “It seems like that would be useful.’’

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nemins posted:

Does it come with a Frank Gallagher or do I have to supply my own?

Englewood is not a neighborhood Frank would do well in.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

That was an excellent read. Was there ever any more to the story?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Unusable land is always super cheap. Hell, land in terrible areas is usually super cheap too. You can by vacant land in Chicago for about $2000 if you're willing to try and live in a really loving rough neighborhood. They used to sell lots for like $1, but I think they stopped that in the last few years.

Louisville uses to have a program where they would just give you abandoned vacant lots in the West End if you would promise to just now the loving grass every two weeks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

When I was fresh out of college I almost bought a house in Detroit to fix up and rent out for a while. Was going to rent it out for the cost of the mortgage and a clause to keep it maintained. That way a family would get cheap housing and I could eventually move in at some point. Ended up not doing that because of all the house fires going on in Detroit at the time, didn’t want to buy something and have a vacant lot by the time I could repair it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That time Deadmau5 got made a mod of GBS and then promptly banned.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Inceltown posted:

Every game my 8-year-old has played lately has seemed to have some kind of Deadmau5 reference and I can't help but think "poo poo, that's right, he used to mod gbs for like three seconds" every time he's brought into my sphere of awareness.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inceltown posted:

I forgot wtf happened here. I know he got modded because "yay we have a famous mod!" but how did he manage to get banned immediately?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

as far as I remember he was so loving goony that even actual goons found him instantly repellent

I wonder why

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

As I recall he was made mod and immediately began posting badly, and one of the GBS mods at the time, unaware he was a new colleague, gave him a sixer.

And then he never came back :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would bet dollars to donuts that Joe Rogan was a goon at one point if not still one. He probably just sits in TCC and SAS and does nothing but talk about DMT and MMA.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

As I recall he was made mod and immediately began posting badly, and one of the GBS mods at the time, unaware he was a new colleague, gave him a sixer.

And then he never came back :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=140839

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SWBM knew exactly what he was doing. This was a joke probation as a reference to his only probation back in 2008. Deadmau5 never intended to stay here as a mod, he just randomly reconnected with Lowtax on twitter, and they thought it'd be funny to make him a mod for a day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Back in MY day they would've instantly cracked down on goons using numbers as letters, smh :arghfist:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Remember before probating was a thing so a run on sentence could catch you a ban? Those were the days.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
dead mau five

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a link to the "Two Dollars" Photoshop thread? I remember there being a lot of funny ones in there.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

If you mean the banker Nancy strip you are in luck because I just used it for a Photoshop

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861230&pagenumber=30&perpage=40

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would bet dollars to donuts that Joe Rogan was a goon at one point if not still one. He probably just sits in TCC and SAS and does nothing but talk about DMT and MMA.

The way that people have elaborate headcanons about various celebrities being goons just because a handful of lesser YouTubers posted here during the Bush administration is so depressing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

weed cat posted:

dead mau five

is there a goon who knows who tekashi sixix nineine is?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

which would've coincidentally been located not far from the route of Muerte's death march.

That guy pulling up a google map of the most direct route from one coast to the other, which would take him across some of the deadliest arid land in the world along an empty highway in the middle of July/August, and seeing no problem with this still blows my mind

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 22, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

That guy pulling up a google map of the most direct route from one coast to the other, which would take him across some of the deadliest arid land in the world along an empty highway in the middle of July/August, and seeing no problem with this still blows my mind

It's ok, he had a Walmart baby stroller or something.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nuns with Guns posted:

Haven't you ever played an RPG with a desert? As long as you run from oasis to oasis in time you're fine

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

When I was in high school out there it was fairly normal for people to occasionally just pass out during summer football and marching band practice, minutes from an air conditioned room with all the water and junk food you could dream of.

Muerte might be my favourite saga.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I was in high school out there it was fairly normal for people to occasionally just pass out during summer football and marching band practice, minutes from an air conditioned room with all the water and junk food you could dream of.

Muerte might be my favourite saga.

Yeah but thats football where "play through the pain" is the regular mindset and southern college llayers die semi-regularly and coaches lose their jobs over it because "we thought he was just being a wimp"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
this is true but also distracts from the point that a goon with no experience wanted to hike thousands of miles through the dryest and hottest parts of the country from which the consequences are much worse than "might collapse on a field and have to wait for medics in an air conditioned building"