Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'd expect them to play the "you don't have flood insurance" card. Often with homeowner's policies any water damage that isn't the result of "sudden and accidental flooding" (usually something like a burst pipe, overflowing sink/tub or a malfunctioning washing machine, etc.) is classified as flood damage and not covered unless you've specifically purchased flood insurance on top of your regular homeowner's insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The water pipe to the hose outlet burst. So far State Farm is playing ball, we'll see what happens though. The damage is superficial, it's just the ripping it open and fixing the line that's the most expensive bit.

Edit: They really don't want to cover the carpet replacement so they're investigator needs to see the mildew in person. Eager to see their face when they open that trash bag.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 21, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Liquid Communism posted:

Back In My Day (TM) we did that poo poo in high school too. Home Economics (cooking/sewing), Shop (metal/wood craft), and Auto Maintenance were on offer.

They ended those programs during the last Bush presidency to fund more computers to up standardized test scores.

Eyup.
I loved Metal Shop. Learned to weld, and basics of machine tools.

Elviscat posted:

That grocery store you work for sounds like they treat their employees impressively well, I'd shop there exclusively if I lived in Texas just based on your stories.

$18 an hour plus bennies ain't rich by any means, but I'm irrationally happy that you're doing well and working for an employer that treats you well, plus all the positive you seem to be making.

I only did about a year working for a grocer, but turnover's usually pretty high and I bet you'll move up to supervisor pretty quick if you want to.

I'd shop there myself, but they don't extend this far north in TX - just their high end branch (which is still pretty good for the type of stuff they carry - bulk and healthy/organic stuff)

opengl128 posted:

I was forever salty that I missed shop and auto class at my high school by a couple years. Target shooting/archery too :(

Got that, too, in PE. Daisy BB guns, and I already had a better one, but still entertaining. I'm left-handed, so only had to share the archery bow with two other guys, so got a fair amount of shooting time in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our claim has been conditionally approved so long as it's a burst frozen pipe. The plumber already diagnosed it as such, we'll just need repair invoice and a picture of the burst pipe and we're covered. They're being fussy over the costs of the drywall and carpeting and asked us to get secondary quotes. Work starts Tuesday!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I don't know any drivers, but I was a freight broker for some years and still have some company and dispatcher connections - I can send some contact info your way if you desire. Here's a few thoughts for you.

1. I assume you've already thought through access to your site at both the pickup and delivery ends and would have some proper materials to create suitable landing pads for the trailer.

2. You need to make sure whoever is hauling your freight has current insurance, and a valid MC# that's ideally not got a bunch of safety/rule violations on it's record. https://www.carrier411.com/ is what I used, they might have some sort of free trial, you can also look up the MC# https://safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/CompanySnapshot.aspx . If you are doing all the hiring yourself I would also independently verify their insurance information with their insurance company.

3. Since you are small time and one off a broker will likely want full payment up front, an independent owner/op or directly through a larger trucking company? Perhaps you might get to do something like 50% up front, 50% COD.

4. I don't know current rates but I would say the best you'd do would be $1/mile for that lane and possibly $2/mile - more than that and I would think you might be getting taken for a ride (if you want to talk zip codes I could try asking some of my mates for their ideas on current rates though).

5. Since you probably won't be loading heavy (40K you said) then probably it won't matter but you want to consider axle weight so you don't overload one end or the other.

6. Also I have no idea about buying trailers but you're pretty mechanically inclined so hopefully you can get something solid and legal on the used market, but I have no idea what they cost (I could google but :effort:).

1 - the pickup location is a rural airport so it's big and flat but not paved. I hadn't considered the pads at all, thanks for reminding me. I'm thinking a couple 4x4 sheets of 3/4 pressure treated ply with some 4x6 pressure treated cribbing to spread the load would be fine? Dropoff location is a logging clearing off a dirt road, the clearing is covered with 3 inch crushed stone well packed into the base soil and the road has had multiple lowboys with logging equipment and many log trucks in and out of it over the last 3 years or so. It might be a little tough for a highway truck with side skirts and a low bumper, but it's totally passable for a triaxle Kenworth with the biggest rotary grinder and track hoe I've ever seen on a lowboy. And luckily the driver doesn't have to worry about getting turned around in the woods and coming back out because they'll be bobtail by then...

2 - I figured I should do that but didn't know how, thanks.

3 - that's about what I expected.

4 - 01531 pickup, 98351 dropoff. Hoping closer to 1 dollar a mile, I was seeing 1.35 or so but figured I'll ask around on here and Facebook as well as uship and other freight boards before I commit to anything.

5 - yeah, I'll try and spread stuff out. My aim is to crate stuff and put the heaviest crap on the first layer fairly evenly spread with the lighter stuff in crates, plastic totes, and cardboard boxes in layers over that.

6 - shockingly little. I was looking at doing this with shipping containers instead but it seems literally no one wants to talk to you if you need one shipping container moved coast to coast and don't have it on a trailer already, and dryvans are really drat cheap, even cheaper than containers. And as a friend noted, much easier to get rid of after the fact if they still roll. I'm seeing 48 footers in decent condition (don't mention dot inspection though) for 2600 and 53s for 2800. One 48 footer for 2k but I dunno if it's roadworthy without looking at it.

My rough plan is buy trailer, park it by my hangar, move all my crap that I won't need immediately into it from the house and the hangar, move West with what we need immediately and to begin construction, then once we're out there, hire someone to tow the trailer out, use it as dry storage while building the barn, move all my poo poo into the barn and sell the trailer. So it being easier to dispose of out there is a big selling point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
be quite careful about DOT stuff on trailers

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Tremek posted:

Funny you mention teamviewer. I am possibly aware of a company that sent employees that had never WFH’d to WFH with internal network assets that were never before used outside the corporate network.

A peculiarity of this particular circumstance may have been that it was discovered the corporate IT team had installed teamviewer on some thin clients without a password, and EPP/EDR detections went berserk.

The purpose of the thin client was to open a VDI session to a corporate server for the end user. The VDI sessions were throwing EDR alerts however, not the thin client...

It was thus discovered that some subset of the newly-home users had plugged the thin clients directly into broadband modems, and botnets were logging into the underlying Ubuntu thin client, taking control of keyboard and mouse through teamviewer, and copying and pasting a command (thankfully malformed) into the Windows VDI client.

Re mom screen sharing, just use join.me or something temporarily.

What about Windows Quick Assist? its in Windows 10, and seems temporary.
Is it full of security holes?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kastein posted:

1 - the pickup location is a rural airport so it's big and flat but not paved. I hadn't considered the pads at all, thanks for reminding me. I'm thinking a couple 4x4 sheets of 3/4 pressure treated ply with some 4x6 pressure treated cribbing to spread the load would be fine? Dropoff location is a logging clearing off a dirt road, the clearing is covered with 3 inch crushed stone well packed into the base soil and the road has had multiple lowboys with logging equipment and many log trucks in and out of it over the last 3 years or so. It might be a little tough for a highway truck with side skirts and a low bumper, but it's totally passable for a triaxle Kenworth with the biggest rotary grinder and track hoe I've ever seen on a lowboy. And luckily the driver doesn't have to worry about getting turned around in the woods and coming back out because they'll be bobtail by then...

2 - I figured I should do that but didn't know how, thanks.

3 - that's about what I expected.

4 - 01531 pickup, 98351 dropoff. Hoping closer to 1 dollar a mile, I was seeing 1.35 or so but figured I'll ask around on here and Facebook as well as uship and other freight boards before I commit to anything.

5 - yeah, I'll try and spread stuff out. My aim is to crate stuff and put the heaviest crap on the first layer fairly evenly spread with the lighter stuff in crates, plastic totes, and cardboard boxes in layers over that.

6 - shockingly little. I was looking at doing this with shipping containers instead but it seems literally no one wants to talk to you if you need one shipping container moved coast to coast and don't have it on a trailer already, and dryvans are really drat cheap, even cheaper than containers. And as a friend noted, much easier to get rid of after the fact if they still roll. I'm seeing 48 footers in decent condition (don't mention dot inspection though) for 2600 and 53s for 2800. One 48 footer for 2k but I dunno if it's roadworthy without looking at it.

My rough plan is buy trailer, park it by my hangar, move all my crap that I won't need immediately into it from the house and the hangar, move West with what we need immediately and to begin construction, then once we're out there, hire someone to tow the trailer out, use it as dry storage while building the barn, move all my poo poo into the barn and sell the trailer. So it being easier to dispose of out there is a big selling point.
Those pads sound like they'd work, I would throw them into the back of the trailer after loading and then just re-use them at destination just to be on the safe side. Random aside might want to consider trailer locking and some numbered zip tag things. You'd likely want some spares so if DOT/troopers wanted to crack open the trailer it could be noted in the paperwork and re-sealed.

I've messaged a few people and will let you know what I find out about rates.

Yeah as you might know the problem with shipping containers is most of the trailers to move them are owned by companies that specifically only own them and then they rent them out to drayage operators. You can move them on flatbeds or stepdecks but then of course you have the problem of needing a crane to load and unload. Also a lot of the drayage trailers get pretty well worn down because most of their moves are local so they don't need to be road-worthy for hundreds of miles at a time (let alone 3000 miles).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

blindjoe posted:

That’s what I was going to suggest. Windows only of course, but it’s pretty easy to connect. I haven’t heard of any security woes with it, but all of them seem to at some point in their lifecycle.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/the-cannonball-run-record-has-been-obliterated

Fuckwits just can't resist the urge to load up in the pandemic hotspot at NYC and roll out across the rural West like high-speed Typhoid Marys.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
So.

If anyone has ever gone through a complete brake piston replacement on all six wheels, and suddenly has brake fluid vanishing, but the floor is bone dry...

... make sure the 40 year old Lockheed brake boosters aren't shot as well.

Unrelated, anyone want to place a guess as how how much DOT-3 fluid a Lockheed 8" brake booster vacuum cavity can hold?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

kastein posted:

I don't seem to see an otr trucking thread. I think we have a couple truckers on here still though - currently looking at buying a roadworthy dryvan and packing it with all my crap for the move, then hiring someone who's got a bobtail/deadhead return from the Northeast to the Northwest to drag it out there and drop it on our land, rather than driving a 60 year old unreliable military truck 3000 miles and pray it doesn't break down and leave me stranded in White Power Methamphetamine Montana with all my earthly possessions in tow and no money for a 5 figure tow bill.

Anyone know anyone? Is this a really stupid idea? What rough rate should I expect to pay for ~3000 miles with a customer owned trailer, no hard pickup or delivery deadlines, and maybe 40k trailer weight at most?

Five Ton Lady can tell you all the joys of driving an old 5 ton across the entire goddamn country on nothing more than diesel and a prayer.

You know you want to.

(Also, whereabouts in the northwest?)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh drat, a doccors post! Aside from brake issues, how goes the volvo?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
40 years ain't too bad... I'm going to say 5 liters

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Let’s go for 2 liters. Whatever it was, I’d have put at least twice as much in before figuring it out though.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh drat, a doccors post! Aside from brake issues, how goes the volvo?

Mobile again, after rebuilding the servos, but not in the best of shape. Currently on a waiting list for once COVID restrictions lift a little here in WA, so we can get a new concrete pad poured in our shop.

... There may be a thread.

You have been warned.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Don't threaten me with a good time. :biglips:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Doccers posted:

Mobile again, after rebuilding the servos, but not in the best of shape. Currently on a waiting list for once COVID restrictions lift a little here in WA, so we can get a new concrete pad poured in our shop.

... There may be a thread.

You have been warned.

I can only get SO erect.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

I can only get SO erect.

Not an empty quote.

Doccers, do the needful.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

sharkytm posted:

I can only get SO erect.

I've had this quote stuck in my head all week so far with no reason why and this is the third thread I've seen it in TODAY. :tinfoil:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

blindjoe posted:

I literally have never heard of that :psyduck:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Okay possible solution to Outback engine woes found.

300Kw EJ25 what could possibly go wrong?

(wiring probably but as long as it fuckign leaves my driveway this century IDGAF)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

This not sleeping at night is killing me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's my birthday!

Just another day. Back at work Tuesday, 1 day at work, 1 day wfh alternating. No idea what they're going to try to get me to do from home, or how to arrange a space in the house to use without having the kids in my face.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Doccers posted:

Five Ton Lady can tell you all the joys of driving an old 5 ton across the entire goddamn country on nothing more than diesel and a prayer.

You know you want to.

(Also, whereabouts in the northwest?)

Well given that we won't have poo poo for money to spare till the house sells and don't have jobs lined up yet, I'm a bit worried about accidentally losing everything I own and/or a 4-5 figure tow bill, ya know?

Longbranch Washington, out in the peninsulas West of Puget sound. I had no idea you headed for WA!

Edit: I really would love to do the trip, but I just can't see it happening unless I win the lottery. And I honestly need something like an m543a2 or m816 more than a cargo truck anyways.

kastein fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 22, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's my birthday!

Just another day. Back at work Tuesday, 1 day at work, 1 day wfh alternating. No idea what they're going to try to get me to do from home, or how to arrange a space in the house to use without having the kids in my face.

I’m sure if I was married and had kids my outlook would be different but it always bothered me that my partners never made much effort or attempt to do really anything for my birthdays. That’s the one day a year it’s about me. Valentines? Anniversaries? The gf’s birth week/month? Yeah.

It’s not like I’m super hard to please either, just make an effort. And for the love of god do more than “what do you want to do for your birthday?” and make me do all the work for you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I don't give a poo poo normally so with *gestures at everything* this going on I'm just glad none of my immediate family are dying in the hospital.

Like present-wise there's nothing I want that's not thousands of pounds of practical whatever. I don't want space-filling trinkets, I want the garage extended. I don't want gadgets, I want £10k in landscaping materials. As for doing something special my wife made lactose-free tiramisu and I'll cook a steak.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

All this talk of remote PC, and nobody's posted one of the best channels on youtube yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLUE-m2B5xA

Guy pretends to be a sucker falling for tech support scams, wastes hours of their time, pushes the envelope on meme-ing them and finally either reveals what he's doing or "redeems" the "gift cards" they wanted on his fake google play website. Usually the scammer calls offering some sort of nebulous "refund," uses a program like teamviewer to change the target's bank webpage so it shows way too much money, claiming they refunded the target "too much" and demanding they return their money in the form of gift cards. They have scripts to follow and are usually terrible at dealing with curveballs, like for instance a guy pretending to be another scammer as well as the target and getting into a rap battle with the scammer. They're long videos so I just listen in the background most of the time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay possible solution to Outback engine woes found.

300Kw EJ25 what could possibly go wrong?

(wiring probably but as long as it fuckign leaves my driveway this century IDGAF)

Have you thought about taking it to a mechanic?

It's my birthday!

:toot:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I need to help my wife get her pallet garden project started. After a long winter and now the corona stuff she's really been struggling. This at least gives me someway to possibly help a little bit.

Liquid Communism posted:

Back In My Day (TM) we did that poo poo in high school too. Home Economics (cooking/sewing), Shop (metal/wood craft), and Auto Maintenance were on offer.

They ended those programs during the last Bush presidency to fund more computers to up standardized test scores.
I filled my high school schedule with as many of those and tech classes as they would let me. I loved those classes. It's really a shame if they have been discontinued or decreased.

Doccers posted:

So.

If anyone has ever gone through a complete brake piston replacement on all six wheels, and suddenly has brake fluid vanishing, but the floor is bone dry...

... make sure the 40 year old Lockheed brake boosters aren't shot as well.

Unrelated, anyone want to place a guess as how how much DOT-3 fluid a Lockheed 8" brake booster vacuum cavity can hold?
I ran into that a few weeks ago on the F100. Triple checked everything then started it up and heard a hissing. Knew what it was right away when the hissing was louder in the cabin than in the engine bay.

Company wide pay cuts announced yesterday, about 10% for my position. Much better than laying people off.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 22, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

Have you thought about taking it to a mechanic?

Surprise! The owner is a mechanic!

I'm not STR, there's no blow by blow account here - so just have a laugh at the latest victim of this loving car's unbelievable ability to humble anyone that touches it... because the motor that came out also completely and utterly refused to start and the motor that went in was a known working one

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

It's my birthday!

Happy birthday! its mine tomorrow too and its a big one :cry: . I was looking forward to drinking in a brewery all day with a load of mates which was my plan until the apocalypse kicked in.

likely to end up decorating or something similarly boring for the day.

I also don't really want anything anymore.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So twice now, Amazon decided to charge me for a show that was supposedly included in prime video, halfway through the series.

Basically it's "included" until you get invested in the series, then all of a sudden you are not allowed to watch unless you pay, and you're going to pay because you're not going to just stop watching halfway through the season right? What a loving racket.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Time to fly the Jolly Roger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So twice now, Amazon decided to charge me for a show that was supposedly included in prime video, halfway through the series.

Basically it's "included" until you get invested in the series, then all of a sudden you are not allowed to watch unless you pay, and you're going to pay because you're not going to just stop watching halfway through the season right? What a loving racket.

That's pretty much Prime these days. I'm keeping it for the shipping for now but the next price bump and we're done.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Haha, that's insidious

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

I mean, it might be the license holder for that show rather than Amazon, or some combination thereof. Amazon's not innocent, but they might not be the only guilty party. :P

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

kastein posted:

Well given that we won't have poo poo for money to spare till the house sells and don't have jobs lined up yet, I'm a bit worried about accidentally losing everything I own and/or a 4-5 figure tow bill, ya know?

Longbranch Washington, out in the peninsulas West of Puget sound. I had no idea you headed for WA!

Edit: I really would love to do the trip, but I just can't see it happening unless I win the lottery. And I honestly need something like an m543a2 or m816 more than a cargo truck anyways.

... ahahhahahahhahahha dude I live in Port Orchard. :D

Also ours was far newer than yours and yeah I would totally recommend just shipping yours.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's my birthday!

:sparkles::hf::sparkles: Hey we're birthday twins! What are the odds? (1 in 365 apparently). How have we both been here this long and not noticed this? Or maybe we have and I just forgot.

One of my problems with gifts is that I'm picky and easily disappointed, and I fully recognize this. I usually just ask for restaurant gift cards because I do love eating out and you can't gently caress it up.

My ex wife was terrible with gifts, but that's because she's a narcissist and didn't really give a poo poo. She only got me gifts because if she didn't she'd look bad. So she'd get me something like a super low quality version of a tool I already had and when I was disappointed I was the rear end in a top hat. Took me way too long to figure that out.

I'm taking next week off and hanging with a buddy who also has been isolated and is not infected with corona. We're going to binge watch nerdy stuff, cook a lot and drink a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Doccers posted:

... ahahhahahahhahahha dude I live in Port Orchard. :D

Kastein's going to get real familiar with PO, since his nearest big box hardware store is our craptastic Lowes.