Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BisterdDave posted:

Has Fallen Order been patched at all to a point where it seems like a finished game? I probably want to check it out once it drops below $20.

I played it on release and didn't encounter any real bugs or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I never really blocked his bow because a dodge then run at him was free hits and I never hesitate.

:unsmigghh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

I played it on release and didn't encounter any real bugs or anything.
Yeah no bugs for me either, I just lost interest. The opening area in the starship demolition site was by far the most interesting environment I've seen so far in the game and it was over in like 30 minutes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samurai Sanders posted:

Probably the latter. He's just so distressed that you blocked his arrow.

Really, when it comes to Sekiro, instruction number one is that unless you see that red warning, you can and should block it.

Edit: there's a boss later on that can be beaten entirely by blocking him. He'll just fill his own stagger gauge all by himself and then you just ninja kill him.

:eng101: Two bosses!

Those guys are like, the perfect distilled form of the Sekiro experience. Extremely aggressive, dangerous, and terrifying at first, then a decent bit of knowledge about how they work turns them into chumps.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sekiro is ultimately just dark Souls but focusing more on countering rather than dodging.

It’s at the height of its hype because it’s new but assuming it gets sequels people will grow more accustomed to it and it will become the new DS for a lot of players.

I honestly prefer Dark Souks combat as I find it’s focus more interesting.
I also don’t think the combat is that hard once you understand what the game wants from you but that is how Dark Souls functions as well

One of the things I love about FromSoft games is they basically beat indoctrinated playstyles out of you, including playstyles they indoctrinated you with in earlier games.

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls beats you down until you realize this isn't your standard action RPG where you can charge headlong into anything with minimal repercussions. The "easiest" enemies in the game will wreck you if you get surrounded or you're reckless. You're forced to constantly evaluate your surroundings and be methodical.

Dark Souls 2 mixes it up further with encounters against multiple enemies at once and the introduction of life gems. You can't rely too heavily on lock-on as you might have done in the previous game, and you have to weigh slower healing with mobility against faster healing with no mobility.

Bloodborne breaks your dependence on shields and encourages aggression through the rally mechanic.

Dark Souls 3 doesn't change much other than a faster pace than the previous Souls games (it's my least favorite for this reason, among others).

Sekiro breaks your dependence on dodging and demands that you learn to parry. You could have played every Soulsborne game up to this point without parrying if you relied on shields, projectiles, or dodging. You won't get anywhere in Sekiro until you learn to parry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think Souls Borne and Sekiro all focusing on what they focus on is for the best.

Each game has functionally the same combat but the focus is on something different and making the games play like any of the others will just make players tire of them faster

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

I didn't encounter any bugs to speak of but it still felt unfinished. Like they pushed out the first pass without any real play testing.

They copped to adding multiple difficulty levels late in development and not testing any of them really.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I played Demon's Souls after having played DS1 and DS3 and it's still my favorite Souls game. Valley of Defilement and Tower of Latria ftw

Mah Man! Ya that is honestly some of the best level design by From in terms of pure atmosphere. As you go through the level, the level itself tells a story.

Tower of Latria is a prison for the insane and the boss at the conclusion of the area clones herself during the fight. Even if you kill her she respawns making the player question his sanity. Did I really kill this piece of poo poo or no? As soon as you leave the boss area the fog gate returns. What brilliant design. Of course you have to destroy the critter at the top of the church, to kill her perma but I feel like a lot of players will miss it in their first attempt.

Valley of Defilement isn't as oppressive as Blighttown but it is a lot grotesque. Probably one of the most grotesque level by From to date. The Astrea boss arena with the dead fetuses pulling you down is something else. Also it's a really unique fight and the theme for the boss is a great Piano track.

DeS definitely isn't the best Souls in terms of action but it's probably still the most unique in terms of level design, boss design and not just because it came out first. It was my first Fromsoft game and my first PS3 game so I do have lots of nostalagia for it. I still have my PS3 but I haven't hooked it up for a while, definitely interested in replaying it. Just waiting to see if I should play the OG version or Bluepoint are indeed remaking it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bust Rodd posted:

They copped to adding multiple difficulty levels late in development and not testing any of them really.

Well that at least explains why on normal difficulty it vacillated wildly between "babby's first souls game" and "holy poo poo gently caress why was this section so god damned hard"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Unfamiliar with Ubisoft I see

I hate their games and design philosophies in general so yes. They haven't made anything remotely interesting since Chaos Theory.

BisterdDave posted:

Has Fallen Order been patched at all to a point where it seems like a finished game? I probably want to check it out once it drops below $20.

No way, €10 TOPS imo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
If you like Star Wars it's a perfectly fine $20 game, I was gifted it at Christmas time and its enjoyable enough even if its a little clunky.

Admittedly if you still like Star Wars after the last movie there may be something wrong with you but still!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Admittedly if you still like Star Wars after the last movie there may be something wrong with you but still!

The Mandalorian was good.
Rise of Skywalker was unwatchable to me, I thought it was genuinely worse than Revenge of the Sith.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why do Star Wars games and everything keep teasing us with views of of the insides of wrecked ships? You could set multiple whole games inside that and I'd be happy.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Wolfsheim posted:

If you like Star Wars it's a perfectly fine $20 game, I was gifted it at Christmas time and its enjoyable enough even if its a little clunky.

I'll probably give it a shot at some point. Lately I've had a hankering to play Battlefront 2. I hear they removed all the f2p stuff and it's semi-good now? I just want to play a decent Star Wars fps.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars property and it's not really debatable. There are 11-12 movies in the series and only 1 of them is recognized to be generally any good, there's about 15 seasons of CGI cartoons in various states of dissaray, and about 15 video games, 5 of which are pretty good and the rest of which are dogshit. Mando is easily top of the heap.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Mando is great. So is Mando, the character from Sesame Street who now plays Qing in the prison break episode. Don't judge me. Daycare is closed and I've watched a poo poo load of sesame Street in the background.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why do Star Wars games and everything keep teasing us with views of of the insides of wrecked ships? You could set multiple whole games inside that and I'd be happy.

I'd like more games with a compact scope like that of MGS1. You don't need to go an odyssey to tell an epic tale.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

I'd like more games with a compact scope like that of MGS1. You don't need to go an odyssey to tell an epic tale.
The first thing I thought of was how the initial version of Rogue One was rejected by test audiences because it didn't feel like Star Wars.

I think there's a really, really narrow and boring range of things that most people say feel like Star Wars and any straying outside of that gets punished.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’ve only seen one star war movie and I enjoyed the mandolorian. Great score.

speaking of tv shows that whip sack, I’m surprised that no ones attempted a Fargo-esque game. I can’t think of a game studio with writers who’d even get close to being as funny or as affecting but I bet that snow tech would look pretty good!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bust Rodd posted:

The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars property and it's not really debatable. There are 11-12 movies in the series and only 1 of them is recognized to be generally any good, there's about 15 seasons of CGI cartoons in various states of dissaray, and about 15 video games, 5 of which are pretty good and the rest of which are dogshit. Mando is easily top of the heap.

I wish there were that few.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

republic commando was a great fps regardless of setting iirc. surprised that never got revisited. I guess people just love light savers or whatever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah no bugs for me either, I just lost interest. The opening area in the starship demolition site was by far the most interesting environment I've seen so far in the game and it was over in like 30 minutes.

Yeah see I hope the next game is just more of that, more Uncharted like, and less of the Dark Souls aping. I feel like if they concentrated on a more linear, more spectacle based experience it would be great

I still really liked Fallen Order though, it's a solid 8/10

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MechaSeinfeld posted:

republic commando was a great fps regardless of setting iirc. surprised that never got revisited. I guess people just love light savers or whatever
Way back when Dark Forces came outI was a little surprised that they had a game like that without a Jedi main character, but then of course they made him discover he was a Jedi in the sequel lol.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any tips for a first time Outer Wilds player? I know about the time resetting gimmick, is that pretty much all I need to know?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Nah you’re set. don’t be surprised if you experience at least one crash and the load time is long but you’ll figure the rest out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I suspect the mandalorian was only as good (the OT is better dont be absurd bust rodd) as it ended up being because it flew under the radar and was a pretty small story

The fact that they already announced that all your favorite extraneous characters like Ahsoka and Boba Fett will be in the next season leads me to believe lightning is not gonna strike twice

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

I suspect the mandalorian was only as good (the OT is better dont be absurd bust rodd) as it ended up being because it flew under the radar and was a pretty small story

The fact that they already announced that all your favorite extraneous characters like Ahsoka and Boba Fett will be in the next season leads me to believe lightning is not gonna strike twice
it sounds like the first season got made and distributed on Disney Plus without Disney even finding out about it somehow, but now they know about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
After the Marvel movies Jon Favreau is walking money machine and has a lot more sway and say than you are giving him credit for.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

After the Marvel movies Jon Favreau is walking money machine and has a lot more sway and say than you are giving him credit for.

Try to explain who Ahsoka is to anyone who has only seen the movies and the Mandalorian

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Was there an update altering the enemies in Sekiro at all ? Can not for the life of me remember this giant baby with the wooden shield in Senpou

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Dark Souls 2 mixes it up further with encounters against multiple enemies at once and the introduction of life gems. You can't rely too heavily on lock-on as you might have done in the previous game, and you have to weigh slower healing with mobility against faster healing with no mobility.

I fully agree with your post but as a real big DS2 fan I laugh when I see this said about life gems, life gem healing in DS2 is absurdly fast. You can eat multiple gems (I think up to 3) to increase the speed, then from there each time you eat a gem it refreshes the duration and keeps the full stacks.

You can go mostly-afk standing in a poison cloud while an enemy is hitting you and never really drop below full health if you keep popping in to eat a life gem every 10 seconds, and you can hold 99 life gems and buy them for a pittance from a vendor you meet 5 minutes into the game

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
PSVR game The Persistence got a non VR PC port. I like it so far.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bust Rodd posted:

The Empire Strikes Back and The Last Jedi are both the best movies of their respective trilogies. The Mandolorian has too many junk episodes for it to better than merely good for me. I can think of two episodes from season 1 that are very dull.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

bows1 posted:

Was there an update altering the enemies in Sekiro at all ? Can not for the life of me remember this giant baby with the wooden shield in Senpou

Yeah they were there, the updates changed some minor things like making the bull a little easier, changing the poise damage on certain abilities, changing the spirit emblem cost of a bunch of stuff and changing the items you get for killing the headless to last as long as the consumable versions of each. Maybe some other stuff, but there were always 3 of those enemy types at Senpou, the first room with the monks sitting down, and the two on that hill.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I don't want to buy FF7Remake until the full game is out. Will it 2023 before all of it is released?

FF7R2 will probably be out 2024, especially since they're just in the planning stages of what they want to do. I looked at what parts they've done and what they're likely to do and there is no way they will release less than 3 parts. There's just too much content, not even the source content, but the extra embellishing they're doing too.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I fully agree with your post but as a real big DS2 fan I laugh when I see this said about life gems, life gem healing in DS2 is absurdly fast. You can eat multiple gems (I think up to 3) to increase the speed, then from there each time you eat a gem it refreshes the duration and keeps the full stacks.

You can go mostly-afk standing in a poison cloud while an enemy is hitting you and never really drop below full health if you keep popping in to eat a life gem every 10 seconds, and you can hold 99 life gems and buy them for a pittance from a vendor you meet 5 minutes into the game

Life gems are the Dark Souls version of regenerating health. DS2 feels very experimental.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wolfsheim posted:

Try to explain who Ahsoka is to anyone who has only seen the movies and the Mandalorian

You don't need some expansive backstory about the character beyond what they'd have more than enough time to drop in the show itself.

Like if I was watching the show with someone and was like Oh poo poo that's Ahsoka and the person was like "who is Ashoka," like, she was a cool character from Clone Wars who had a similar attitude to Anakin rolling around the galaxy kicking rear end for the Republic but then slowly realizing that the Republic and also the Jedi were absolute dogshit. But she peaced out instead of murdering kids and becoming Darth Vader.

I mean, "warrior that has some issues with Jedi" isn't exactly a groundbreaking character beat for Star Wars movies.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

DS2 having the same textures as Turok was definitely experimental.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i like it. the new stuff much less, but that doesn't change my feelings about the originals.