Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Man, I don't know about anywhere else but it's like there is an RG shortage in the UK. No one has any here that I can find. Doesn't help that there is no official distributor for Gunpla here.

I just wanna' build an RG MK-II or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm lucky enough to have a comic shop near me that stocks Gunpla, and I think I'm just going to get Gunpla from them for the duration. It'll limit my choices but I think a local shop is more likely than a big online importer to need the business right now.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Veotax posted:

Man, I don't know about anywhere else but it's like there is an RG shortage in the UK. No one has any here that I can find. Doesn't help that there is no official distributor for Gunpla here.

I just wanna' build an RG MK-II or something

It probably doesn't help but it seems all the (Dutch) import shops are suffering from COVID.
I normally import but with all of ~ this~ going on I went to local stores and p much everything is out of stock; resupply to all stores I reached out to is hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's only two stores in the whole of London that stock Gunpla as far as I could find.

A small game store in Croydon and a place in Camdon Town that at least has a website that you can order from. Unfortunately both of them are hours away from me by train.
Also the UK is still under lock-down so anything that isn't an "essential shop" is closed, so I'm not getting anything from a physical store any time soon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Veotax posted:

There's only two stores in the whole of London that stock Gunpla as far as I could find.

what a shithole

Veotax
May 16, 2006

No argument here.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got some fine sand paper from my local gunpla store for the Gundam Alex 2.0 MG wrist joints, but I am wondering if I went too fine; It is #2000 grit, and I think I erred too much on overkill.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gripweed posted:

what a shithole

Please don't be an rear end in a top hat like this in the future, thanks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Julias posted:

Please don't be an rear end in a top hat like this in the future, thanks.

Sorry, I thought that since London was a famous world class city me declaring it a shithole based purely on the availability of Gunpla would be read as a joke. But if it didn't read like that or I overstepped a line either way, I apologize.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I am quite sure the Gundam pens I ordered for a friend are trapped in forever limbo somewhere in Japan.

Comrade,

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QBPDS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're mediocre for large areas but I put some color details on a mecha collection Cosmo Tiger with Sharpies at work and it looks pretty good. Just don't get dry erase.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

I got some fine sand paper from my local gunpla store for the Gundam Alex 2.0 MG wrist joints, but I am wondering if I went too fine; It is #2000 grit, and I think I erred too much on overkill.

I actually use nothing but 2000 but a) I use tamiya + godhands nippers so there's not much to sand and b) im not entering the GBWC so I dont bother with progressively sanding from 1000 to 2000

ymmv. But I have 1-2 packs of 2000 lying around at any given time

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

d3lness posted:

I had to reread this a few times to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. Best typo ever.

Reminds me of this from the first MG Freedom

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
So I was trying not to nerd out about my latest builds to my husband, seeing as his knowledge of the franchise is basically "I saw a few non-consecutive episodes of Gundam Wing on Cartoon Network once.." but I was so stoked about that Dynames and how it's so green and not enough Gundams are green. His response was "Zakus are green" like some kind of smartass, so I pulled this kit off the top of my backlog like.. yeah and..?

Anyway so I built a tiny Zaku today and it makes me very happy.

His little eye camera swivels around and everything. :allears:

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I’m pretty happy with how the SDCS Zaku looks with a little panel lining and the CS frame/booster parts shoved in there. Although (insert 3x expensive joke here).

Not sure what I’m going to do with the rest of a set of gray booster parts after using the literally two parts that are for the Zaku.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

mllaneza posted:

Comrade,

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QBPDS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're mediocre for large areas but I put some color details on a mecha collection Cosmo Tiger with Sharpies at work and it looks pretty good. Just don't get dry erase.

Personally I think Micron archival ink pens are better, you can get them in ever smaller tips, and sharpies I dunno I've never really been a fan of using them on Gunpla. A number of pieces on my MG 1.0 Freedom i used permanent marker on, just never really did it for me. I just happened to have tried out the Gundam Panel Pens and they're solid, the best feature is they erase p well with overages, although I hear Sharpies do that too.

I highly recommend the core metal colors from the Gundam Markers, all the golds, silvers, etc have had great finishes and consistent application.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Bees on Wheat posted:

Anyway so I built a tiny Zaku today and it makes me very happy.

His little eye camera swivels around and everything. :allears:

Adorable. I'll probably go also an SD together to just have some fun now. :3:

Booourns posted:

Reminds me of this from the first MG Freedom

That's amazing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
ngl, I'd do some pretty horrible things for SD Leos and Grazes.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
If anyone's looking for a sick kit, GalacticToys has at least one MG Psycho Zaku ver ka in stock and not marked up

https://galactictoys.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/bandai-hobby-gundam-thunderbolt-psycho-zaku-ver-ka-mg-1-100-model-kit

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
US P-Bandai just updated again with a bunch of stuff including all the recently announced stuff. Awesome that we're finally on parity with Japan.

There's also a reprint of the MG Poly-Ball!

Pre-orders start at 9:00 EDT

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Slanderer posted:

If anyone's looking for a sick kit, GalacticToys has at least one MG Psycho Zaku ver ka in stock and not marked up

https://galactictoys.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/bandai-hobby-gundam-thunderbolt-psycho-zaku-ver-ka-mg-1-100-model-kit

Ugh I want it bad.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Personally I think Micron archival ink pens are better, you can get them in ever smaller tips, and sharpies I dunno I've never really been a fan of using them on Gunpla. A number of pieces on my MG 1.0 Freedom i used permanent marker on, just never really did it for me. I just happened to have tried out the Gundam Panel Pens and they're solid, the best feature is they erase p well with overages, although I hear Sharpies do that too.

I highly recommend the core metal colors from the Gundam Markers, all the golds, silvers, etc have had great finishes and consistent application.

I have a whole set of Sakura Microns for panel lining, and some Gundam Marker "pouring type". It's like a panel wash pen and it's incredibly satisfying to use. The different colors make it easier to get bolder lines on dark colored plastics, too. Orange ink stands out on dark blue plastic way better than black does. Granted, I got my set for $6, I doubt I'd buy them at the current price of $18.. :shobon:

The metallics are pretty good too, yeah. I used the gold to color all the yellow bits on my Dynames and I really like how it turned out. Really makes those rear end thrusters pop. :yaybutt:

I really wish I had pics, but one of my girlfriends made a (unintentionally) vaporwave SD Tallgeese with metallic Gundam markers. She just went all-in with the neon pink, green, and teal instead of the default colors and I love it.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Bees on Wheat posted:

I have a whole set of Sakura Microns for panel lining, and some Gundam Marker "pouring type". It's like a panel wash pen and it's incredibly satisfying to use. The different colors make it easier to get bolder lines on dark colored plastics, too. Orange ink stands out on dark blue plastic way better than black does. Granted, I got my set for $6, I doubt I'd buy them at the current price of $18.. :shobon:

The pouring type is the only set I don't have that you can get on amazon, mostly because i just had no idea what they were really for? Knowing they are like a wash is def compelling.

My Custom Epyon is coming along, but i apparently left my replacement can of matte at the store :(

This was entirely done with the Gundam Markers alone.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 22, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, holy poo poo. I have a bunch of Gundam markers but never really used them. Do you prime the pieces then hit them up with Gundam Marker?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bees on Wheat posted:

I really wish I had pics, but one of my girlfriends made a (unintentionally) vaporwave SD Tallgeese with metallic Gundam markers. She just went all-in with the neon pink, green, and teal instead of the default colors and I love it.

Stealing this for the MG Tallgeese ima bout to crack open. Why the hell not

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Wow, holy poo poo. I have a bunch of Gundam markers but never really used them. Do you prime the pieces then hit them up with Gundam Marker?

I think it would be better if I did that, but no. I paint them mostly on the sprues although I've taken to trimming some of the connections off, especially the ones on a place i want to paint if it can stay connected on an area that won't be visible. I did get a kit that includes a glass file to take down the nub marks, which helps for sure. A lot of this requires two coats, and you have to get the pens mixed right first which can be a real challenge figuring out which colors need what amount of shaking, resting, and application before the color is truly consistent. I've gotten beautiful finishes that were just unrepeatable once you were actually applying the fully mixed color.

Mostly if you're applying the same or the designed color one coat can generally do it (white, yellow, any metallic usually). If you're changing colors or shades I've applied 2-3 coats depending. Some of them finish better than others, but putting the top coat on really smoothed out some of the color wave you can get on the larger surface areas. It also helps to be patient and let the first coat fully dry.

I think I'm p close to really having maxed out what I can do with the markers and I plan to invest in an airbrush eventually. My next project is gonna be redoing my Wing KA with the markers after all the bits I've learned from the 4/5 models I've used them on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'ma just leave this right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spGpo6tH-Fc

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

:five:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
:sbahj:

Also,

Slanderer posted:

I need to watch/read Thunderbolt sometime...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

loving hell :magical:.

You're looking at somewhere in the order of close to 7,500 posed shots to pull that off (312-ish seconds x 24 frames).

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

The pouring type is the only set I don't have that you can get on amazon, mostly because i just had no idea what they were really for? Knowing they are like a wash is def compelling.

My Custom Epyon is coming along, but i apparently left my replacement can of matte at the store :(

drat that looks sick. I mostly use my markers for small details; I've never tried painting an entire kit with one. Is there even enough paint in one marker for the full kit, or did you need multiple sets for this level of coverage?

The pouring type markers are great for panel lining because you can use them on bare plastic, and you can clean up the excess pretty easily by wiping it off while it's still wet, or using a bit of rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab. Pretty sure that's all that's in the "eraser" that comes with that set. Just.. don't use the "eraser" pen directly on the kit unless you want to erase everything. Dab a little on a cotton swab instead. A tiny bit goes a LONG way, and you don't really want to have all that excess ink on the tip of the pen anyway.

Taintrunner posted:

I use mine on bare plastic, but yeah a primer would probably be better. The paint gets scratched and chipped pretty easily, especially if you're using in on clear parts. Definitely use a top coat if you're doing a whole kit.

Also, the SEED Destiny set has a hella sick glossy red in there. I didn't realize it was a gloss color since most of my other markers have a matte finish but drat it looks good. The temptation to put it on everything is strong.

Jesus.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I got this Beargguy for airbrush practice on larger models, as I normally use my airbrush for miniature modelling.
It's pretty sloppy and there are a bazillion mistakes, but I've learned a lot in the process!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Personally I think Micron archival ink pens are better, you can get them in ever smaller tips

Curious about those for smaller panel lining jobs. Do they clean up/remove excess with water, alcohol, etc.?

Bees on Wheat posted:

I need to see pics of this before I die, how much to bribe you to get pics

Autodrop Monteur posted:

I got this Beargguy for airbrush practice on larger models, as I normally use my airbrush for miniature modelling.
It's pretty sloppy and there are a bazillion mistakes, but I've learned a lot in the process!

Ah yes, the Compositionbookgguy

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Bees on Wheat posted:

drat that looks sick. I mostly use my markers for small details; I've never tried painting an entire kit with one. Is there even enough paint in one marker for the full kit, or did you need multiple sets for this level of coverage?

The pouring type markers are great for panel lining because you can use them on bare plastic, and you can clean up the excess pretty easily by wiping it off while it's still wet, or using a bit of rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab. Pretty sure that's all that's in the "eraser" that comes with that set. Just.. don't use the "eraser" pen directly on the kit unless you want to erase everything. Dab a little on a cotton swab instead. A tiny bit goes a LONG way, and you don't really want to have all that excess ink on the tip of the pen anyway.

I use mine on bare plastic, but yeah a primer would probably be better. The paint gets scratched and chipped pretty easily, especially if you're using in on clear parts. Definitely use a top coat if you're doing a whole kit.

I agree I think a primer would help, but isn't really necessary, but they will def require multiple coats if you're totally changing the color like I did with the Epyon (or dig back to my first post in this thread to look at my G Gundam).

The pens absolutely have enough to do at least an entire kit no issue. I feel like they would be good for probably 2 in the core colors. I have used the Gunmetal color GM22 (it's my favorite marker for sure) on 2 or 3 kits p extensively with the frame and it still has material left. I have yet to completely use one up, but I've also only used a couple colors on multiple kits.

MJP posted:

Curious about those for smaller panel lining jobs. Do they clean up/remove excess with water, alcohol, etc.?

I find that they clean up p easily with a qtip especially if you get it quickly, they don't dry onto the plastic as quickly as others do but once they set they're not going to smudge at all which I like. Almost any pen you use on these plastics or paints should rub off with a little alcohol although I've found a literal eraser works p well for large flat spaces. My big suggestion is to just quickly go over your work with a qtip and that mostly gets the run off before you need to do more serious fixing. All of this works best on the straight plastic, clear/matte coats will A) probably run or smudge your panel lines if you put them down before, and B) then they will def require some alcohol if you're applying them after you put on a top coat. The eraser trick still works most of the time on the matte clear coat, but my clear coat ran the panel lines I put on my Strike's chest.

Sometimes the learning mistakes also turn out looking cool so futz around and see what you like?

My Freedom 1.0 MG is all Microns from like a decade ago and they're still looking sharp.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 22, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Sakura pens are great, and archival quality. I would hesitate to use Sharpie on anything you want to look good for a long time, though. I don’t know how it does on plastic, but on paper, black Sharpie ink in particular tends to fade after a year or so. I won a page of original comic art some years back, and the artist inked with a brush and then did his black fills with Sharpie, and it’s very noticeable.

Any pen with pigment ink (Sakura, Staedtler, Copic, et al) will last for loving ever.

Metallic Sharpie, however, seems to be consistently awesome. I used those for hand numbering stuff for the record label (the brass one looks particularly good on dark matte paper) and for some small details on gunpla kits. I should strip my Barbie down to the frame, touch it up, matte spray it, and post photos, cuz I’m actually happy with the way it turned out :3:

What’s the dry time like on Gundam markers? I’m super impatient with paint, but I’m trying to break myself of that habit by using timers. Has anyone tried to use a hair dryer to speed up curing, or would that be an extremely bad idea with plastic? (I literally own a hairdryer solely for paint and heat shrink, and I recently found a heat gun in the garage, so I guess it’s just for paint now...)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

:sbahj:

Also,

I need to watch/read Thunderbolt sometime...

Go for the movies. The OVAs are just chopped-up previews of the finished product.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Very Red

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Has anyone tried to use a hair dryer to speed up curing, or would that be an extremely bad idea with plastic?

In my experience it can reduce drying time and mitigate pooling/frosting but if you use too much heat, too much time, or hold it too close, it warps the plastic. I severely hosed up an RG Unicorn like this. To me, hairdryer is dancing on a knife's edge. I only use it from a healthy distance in short spurts if I'm really afraid of frosting.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

What’s the dry time like on Gundam markers? I’m super impatient with paint, but I’m trying to break myself of that habit by using timers. Has anyone tried to use a hair dryer to speed up curing, or would that be an extremely bad idea with plastic? (I literally own a hairdryer solely for paint and heat shrink, and I recently found a heat gun in the garage, so I guess it’s just for paint now...)

It really depends on the pen. Some of the metallics in particular can take a long time to set and feel solid (like an hour or more, i swear the metallic red took overnight), while some of the flatter colors can be set in 10-15 minutes to touch up and add another layer to. It's easier for me to be patient with multiple layers because the pens usually need some downtime after you've done a whole sprue sheet for me, but I'm like you I'm super impatient and have hosed up a few pieces trying to put the next layer on too soon.

It's also taken me now 4 models to really get a grasp on getting the pens mixed to the right color consistency which almost always involves a few shakes and a rest for the tougher to blend ones. I wish they were more consistent across the line with how they mix, some are really really smooth and easy and others are a struggle.

Julias posted:

Very Red

It is intended to be a Char Epyon (Casval Custom type CA lol) so yeah, very red.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A friend said this thread would be able to help. These aren't models of any anime in particular (at least not that I'm familiar with), but I found these 2 pics of these 8 foampunch robot model kits and I tried reverse searching for them but all I found was this website idk anything about. I was wondering if maybe someone in here recognized the models and could give me a name or something to look them up by.

http://www.asia.ru/en/ProductInfo/981151.html
http://www.asia.ru/en/ProductInfo/981155.html

e: I only stumbled across those because I was looking for these robot models that Five & Below used to have years ago and I lost my originals last year so I was hoping to get them back and those puzzle robot things came up during the search.

Thankfully I've found versions of those on ebay (though unfortunately marked up over the original store version's $5 per kit) but now I'm trying to find those other mysterious bots. I don't know if they're from the same creator or company or what.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have heard of people getting good results with food dehydrators. From my own disasters in other arenas with adhesives and paints I’d be hesitant to use a hair dryer to accelerate drying on a plastic model.