Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TMMadman posted:

I don't think it actually does though. I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that it actually produces less stress on the elbow/arm than a normal curveball.

It's the same torquing motion as a changeup, isn't it? I think the biggest issue with a screwball is that it's just really hard to throw and most of the payoff from a curve is vertical, anyway.

From what I've read, pronation when throwing is fine or good, while supination is really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The replies are great too.

Chamale posted:

One reason Mookie Betts didn't like the Red Sox is that after his MVP season, the team tried to argue in arbitration that he's not as good as everyone thinks.

I think it was an NHL player who talked about the process and said it made it hard to play for the team afterward. You work hard and try to argue you've done good things while they're across the table calling you basically worthless.

Inspector_666 posted:

It's the same torquing motion as a changeup, isn't it? I think the biggest issue with a screwball is that it's just really hard to throw and most of the payoff from a curve is vertical, anyway.

From what I've read, pronation when throwing is fine or good, while supination is really really bad.

Supination seems like it would be a lot rougher on the elbow and give a good tug on the ucl.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Has anyone gotten refunds from the Dodgers for single game tickets? My ticket has left my accounts about a week ago but I haven't seen the actual refund yet. The Indians ones processed faster from when I saw them leave my accounts to when I got the money back.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, the screwball is more like a changeup than a reverse curve.

And some people just sort of throw it naturally. Like if I go through the motions of a pitch, my arm actually seems to want to pronate naturally and I feel nothing in my elbow where if I use a curveball/slider motion I can absolutely feel it all over my arm.

It kind of makes me wish I was a teenager again with at least some of the knowledge I have now, just to see if I could learn to consistently throw a good screwball to be a pitcher.

edit - I always set up my main MLB The Show pitcher with a 4 seam FB, a screwball, a splitter and a slider with usually a changeup of some type as the 5th pitch. I like to throw the screwball high and inside to lefties and let it just drop into the top corner for a strike after it looks like it's going for their head.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 22, 2020

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think I remember reading that clubs discourage it being thrown now because it has a high injury rate?

This actually goes back to Carl Hubbell, the best screwball pitcher ever, after he retired he advised young pitchers not to throw the screwball. His throwing arm was twisted around backwards from his long pitching career.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Had my email read on Effectively Wild today :cool:

I was asking about World Series MVPs because I noticed Salvy had a negative WPA that series. Turns out he is one of only two WSMVPs to have a negative cWPA and has the worst cWPA ever by a WSMVP. Fun!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Chamale posted:

This actually goes back to Carl Hubbell, the best screwball pitcher ever, after he retired he advised young pitchers not to throw the screwball. His throwing arm was twisted around backwards from his long pitching career.

Yeah, this really isn't an exaggeration. The motion for throwing a screwball can really mess you up. Here's Hubbell:

Usually the biggest advocates for not throwing screwballs are former screwballers.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

I was asking about World Series MVPs because I noticed Salvy had a negative WPA that series. Turns out he is one of only two WSMVPs to have a negative cWPA and has the worst cWPA ever by a WSMVP. Fun!

Effectively Wild is one of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard, after 13 years of trying out hundreds of them

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Effectively Wild is one of the best podcasts I’ve ever heard, after 13 years of trying out hundreds of them

It was the best when it was Ben and Sam, and then it somehow got better with Ben and Jeff, and then somehow got better again with Ben and Sam and Meg

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/DOM_Frederic/status/1263657373337628678?s=19

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Wow, For some reason this video doesn't give me the normal horrible reaction when I see trump talk, I actually thought it was kinda funny and endearing............ I think something might be wrong with me

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lmao

https://twitter.com/esim69/status/1263655755074301954?s=21

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Wow, For some reason this video doesn't give me the normal horrible reaction when I see trump talk, I actually thought it was kinda funny and endearing............ I think something might be wrong with me

I know what you mean, extremely rarely you get a tiny glimpse of someone that could actually be charismatic and fun if he wasn't wolfshit crazy and a huge racist rear end in a top hat.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

more falafel please posted:

It was the best when it was Ben and Sam, and then it somehow got better with Ben and Jeff, and then somehow got better again with Ben and Sam and Meg
hot take: Jeff was a step down from Sam

Meg is better than Jeff, but the worst host is actually Ben because he is too diplomatic and so rarely takes a position on anything.

Sam > Meg > Jeff > Ben

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

hot take: Jeff was a step down from Sam

Meg is better than Jeff, but the worst host is actually Ben because he is too diplomatic and so rarely takes a position on anything.

Sam > Meg > Jeff > Ben

I started listening right at the tail end of the First Era of Sam so my early listening was mostly Jeff. Meg is so, so, good, though. I don't have the time to listen to Fangraphs Audio much, but I like her better than Cistulli on there too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am open to the opinion that people like Ben are important for good long-running podcasts to exist however. They seem to need that even-keel organized person who can keep things grounded and moving along sometimes, even though they tend to be the less interesting personality. This would also apply to Will on Chapo.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

alpha_destroy posted:

I listened to this, though they didn't answer how Perez hitting 8/22 somehow resulted in a negative WPA

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I listened to this, though they didn't answer how Perez hitting 8/22 somehow resulted in a negative WPA

This is a good question, so I looked into it. Short answer is that he had a few meaningless two-out hits, and his most important contributions were a groundout and two singles. Keep in mind that cWPA doesn't count defence, so that also stacks the deck against Perez a bit. For a longer answer, I looked at the play-by-plays for the 2015 series and noticed Perez had all his best hits by WPA in the last two games, which made them really memorable. However, cWPA says that Game 1 is almost as important as Game 5 (Game 7 is three times more important than any of the first five, but this series was five games long). His best and worst at-bats, ranked by the change to the Royals' chances of winning the World Series:

1. Game 5, 9th inning, one out, down 2-1, RBI groundout. +3.4%. This is the one situation in baseball where a team will probably score a run, so despite the incredibly high stakes, he doesn't get nearly as much credit as someone who tied the game in the 9th with a single might get.

2. Game 5, 12th inning, zero outs, tied 2-2, leadoff single: +3%. Reaching base to start the inning is really important, but doesn't itself win the game. cWPA doesn't give Perez any credit for his pinch-runner stealing second, or the Royals rallying to win by a landslide.

3. Game 4, 8th inning, one out, up 4-3, RBI single: +3%. Adding an insurance run is great, but much less important than driving in the tying or go-ahead run. On the previous two plays, Hosmer and Moustakas earned +12% and +6.8% cWPA for batting in those runs.

Now, Perez's worst at-bats by cWPA:

1. Game 2, 4th inning, two outs, down 1-0, bases loaded groundout: -3.1%. Leaving three runners left on base in a close game really costs ya in the cWPA calculations.

2. Game 1, 9th inning, no outs, down 4-3, leadoff groundout: -2.8%. Leading off the 9th while down one run is a clutch situation, so even an ordinary groundout hurts. Alex Gordon hit a home run right after this at-bat.

3. Game 1, 13th inning, no outs, tied 4-4, runner on first, popout: -2.5%. Another high-leverage no-out situation where Perez couldn't reach base, but the Royals won Games 1 and 2 so no one cared that Perez struggled.

The two lists almost cancel each other out, and after that Perez would be 6-16 with no RBI. But his worst plays were all the beginning of the series, and his best plays were all at the end, so I'm not shocked he got the MVP. The most cWPA in the series was Hosmer, because he gets full credit for the error his ground ball caused in Game 4 to score the tying run.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our local youth league is going to try for a June 5th start for summer ball. These are the new rules:

The home plate umpire will stand behind the pitcher to call balls and strikes.
Catchers will stand 6 feet behind the batter.
All players will be required to have their own equipment. Sharing of equipment is not recommended.
Dugouts will be limited to coaches and one player only. All others will stand space out down the fence line.
Lead offs will not be allowed. This will keep the recommended 6 feet between the baserunners and the first baseman, second baseman and third baseman.
Bleachers can be moved or blocked off if it is determined social distancing is not achieved. Most people bring their own chairs to baseball games.
Home plate meetings will consist of one coach from each team and the umpire. No players will attend.
High fives and handshakes will not be allowed. Instead a tip of the cap will be used to say good luck and good game.
Coaches and players will be encouraged to have their own cleaning supplies (Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer) to use during their games.

SOCIALDISTANCEBALL

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
That's dumb as poo poo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

(More about pro sports them a youth league but) The stuff about travel, locker rooms and equipment I get but altering the way the game is actually played for the appearance of some really marginal social distancing makes less sense to me than either cancelling or just saying gently caress it, play ball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

So a million passed balls then?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have to imagine in such a situation that you make it illegal to attempt any kind of attempt to advance a base outside of a ball being put in play. It's not just passed balls: how the gently caress are you supposed to throw a runner out on a steal attempt when you're six feet back from home plate?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

I have to imagine in such a situation that you make it illegal to attempt any kind of attempt to advance a base outside of a ball being put in play. It's not just passed balls: how the gently caress are you supposed to throw a runner out on a steal attempt when you're six feet back from home plate?

Well if the runners can't lead off...

but yeah catcher's are gonna get super exhausted with those rules

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/mhoracek14/status/1263638124430680064

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

doing a pitch frame by literally moving several steps

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fuckin. PAY YOUR MINOR PLAYERS.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Give them an inch to exploit you, and they'll bleed you dry.:sigh:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I've been watching someone's YouTube channel where they are simming the 2020 season in MLB The Show 20 as it would be happening in real time. I saw this graphic and thought of this board. MY GUY lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

good looking leaderboard

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sounds like next week we'll see what the league is proposing for paying players

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1263950991243857930

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

Our local youth league is going to try for a June 5th start for summer ball. These are the new rules:

All players will be required to have their own equipment. Sharing of equipment is not recommended.
Dugouts will be limited to coaches and one player only. All others will stand space out down the fence line.
Lead offs will not be allowed. This will keep the recommended 6 feet between the baserunners and the first baseman, second baseman and third baseman.
Bleachers can be moved or blocked off if it is determined social distancing is not achieved. Most people bring their own chairs to baseball games.
Home plate meetings will consist of one coach from each team and the umpire. No players will attend.
High fives and handshakes will not be allowed. Instead a tip of the cap will be used to say good luck and good game.
Coaches and players will be encouraged to have their own cleaning supplies (Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer) to use during their games.

SOCIALDISTANCEBALL

My hockey beer league didn't even give us an inkling of hope that there would be any Summer season. Our Winter/Spring season was postponed on March 13 and then officially canceled on April 16, where they gave us prorated refunds and said "hopefully we'll see you in September".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
One of my rec leagues is slated to start on June 1st, but waiting to see if that changes this week. The other two leagues are sounding like it'll be July.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I still love that owners don’t share profit windfalls but stamp their feet and hold their breath to renegotiate player pay when things aren’t going well.

It’s capitalism.rar

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

bewbies posted:

SOCIALDISTANCEBALL

Just LOL at the idea that you can stop a youth baseball player from randomly licking another players glove, much less any of the rest of this. (youth being < 12).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want to watch those games just for the "catcher 6 feet behind the batter, ump 6 feet behind the pitcher" absurdity. Like what the gently caress?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I want to watch those games just for the "catcher 6 feet behind the batter, ump 6 feet behind the pitcher" absurdity. Like what the gently caress?

Yeah, no, I read this entire thing as a joke at first because of this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hope its real because its so drat funny.

Its like... someone actually said "Well if the catcher is 6 feet behind the batter and the ump is 6 feet behind him he'll be 12 feet away and he'll never be able to judge the batting zone. So lets put him behind the pitcher."

What? How did that help?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's little league, I doubt it makes much of a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Inspector_666 posted:

It's little league, I doubt it makes much of a difference.

The funniest bit will be the chuddy-as-gently caress and way-too-serious little league coaches losing their mind over social distancing in the middle of GODS OWN GAME