Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_zC0dS3pA

sup just wanted to post about the lowkey greatest show of all time and one of its most important main characters

E: literally how tf do i embed these things how is it 2020 and i dont know how to do this.

i know, he should be bigger than the stargate but alas im lazy and those are the images google provided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the ancients were the worst designers

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSsf_t8a0yo&t=54s

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol easily my third favorite, rip

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love how on Stargate Atlantis the gate is the equivalent of a digital phone and can be dialled in seconds so the first time someone does the “Chevron 1 encoded” bit everyone gives him a dirty look because he’s just wasting time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the dhd is terrible because it can be carried around by a small group of people. a society unfamiliar w the gates might discover both a gate and dhd, and naturally decide to relocate the latter right in front of the gate before trying it out and accidentally annihilate both themselves and the dhd in the big splash blast of the wormhole opening up

just mount the controls to the side of the gate so that you can guarantee the user wont be near that blast!!!! plus it makes sure that once you find the gate, youve found the controls for it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
something i noticed when i watched the first few seasons of SG-1 last year is that as the show went on the music drifted further away from the movie-derivative stuff

which, okay, i get why they did it... but i still feel like the movie theme is the best part of the SG-1 music, it just works so drat well

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i fuckin love the music in SG1

the music they used when theyre just quietly showing the SGC before poo poo goes to poo poo with the drumming and stuff

usually interrupted by a sardonic joke from jack or UNSCHEDULED OFFWORLD ACTIVATION BOOP BOOP

**team immediately drops breakfast spoons and runs 2 General Grandpa**

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6fgZP7jP4o

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
so when the goauld's eyes glow is the sound effect supposed to be diegetic? if someone came up to me and made a whoosh sound with just their eyes i would probably be like 80% more likely to believe they're a god

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

jw, if they merely looked like psychotic wackos with glowing eyes what would you assume

Like if you were deaf but you're mowing the lawn and your neighbor apophis wants to borrow your rake, and you know he means the good new one

NEIGHBOR, KREE! *eyes glow*

yeah tbh I'm just gonna get the guy the rake instead of wondering if I missed the sound his eyeballs made when they very meanly started glowing at me

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
YES! I've started watching SG1 again for the 100th time. I still don't remember them ever explaining why everyone speaks English even though the goa'uld left earth thousands of years before english was even a thing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Butternubs posted:

YES! I've started watching SG1 again for the 100th time. I still don't remember them ever explaining why everyone speaks English even though the goa'uld left earth thousands of years before english was even a thing.

lol in early episodes they dont explain it and dr jackson is translating for them IIRC

they rightfully abandoned that idea because what the gently caress is the point of richard dean anderson if he cant be the best man he can be and use his beautiful voice and speak english

honestly children of the gods was a litmus test, they wanted to see if boobs or english was a more effective method of story telling and i think they made the right call tbQh (this is not real btw, its just that its still page 1 and we need to mention the boobs)

lol haha. i remember telling my dad abt this show when it came out. he and i always watched the other star* franchises and he was the one that made me a nerd so ofc i was super excited to show him. tbh he really liked it (macguyvers sarcastic quips and cool action and he liked the movie etc) but tbh i think his interest was genuinely increased by the boobs

later i found out (thru observation) that he and i both have an eye for lithe brunettes w nice hair

anyway, thanks ma'am for providing a common ground beyond pew pew for father and son to probably bond over, yechh

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 21, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

this is why SG1 is imho one of the best shows\franchises of all time

they had zero qualms about being silly & self aware but tbh they could make you cry because the actors and cast are just really good

rip general hammond you seem like a really solid guy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's a part of me that says "this is stupid and hosed up, what idiot signed off on this?" and another part that says "if Stargate was a real thing tell me some dipshit defense contractor wouldn't have tried hucking this bullshit for some easy grift."

one of my friends came up with the brilliant jab "who was the contractor for this, Little Tykes??"

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
canadian scifi is the best and sg1 is the best of canadian scifi

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
did they ever explore what happens if you send a DHD through the gate it is controlling?

Honestly the best thing about the stargate was that they established the rules of what it could do fully very early on and could devote entire episodes to what happens when you gently caress with those rules

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lmao hahahah God drat trying to send the dhd through the gate is hilarious. They probably didn't think of it.

They had MacGyver nailing golf balls with sg1 Chewbacca

Ahh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

did they ever explore what happens if you send a DHD through the gate it is controlling?

Honestly the best thing about the stargate was that they established the rules of what it could do fully very early on and could devote entire episodes to what happens when you gently caress with those rules

There was a whole episode about the equivalent to trying to dial your own phone number, but with a Stargate.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkqOKD1uFU

lmao tealc "do i????????????????????" like he definitely also realized the trillion times jack said indeed back and it being a joke

i always assumed atlantis sucked for basically no reason i guess and so i didnt watch it until about 2012. man, that show rules i love the cast so much mostly

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkqOKD1uFU

lmao tealc "do i????????????????????" like he definitely also realized the trillion times jack said indeed back and it being a joke

i always assumed atlantis sucked for basically no reason i guess and so i didnt watch it until about 2012. man, that show rules i love the cast so much mostly

Stargate Atlantis rules. It’s probably the reason why I was able to stomach Mass Effect Andromeda more than most people could, that game has some Big Atlantis Energy going for it in some places so I was like “Okay, I can kind of dig this.”

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I like atlantis and it's probably unfair to compare it to SG1 because getting that kind of cast chemistry is a bit of a fluke. Saying that Teyla can gently caress right off especially the singing.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Atlantis was a ton of fun but oh god were the villains in that show the worst

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Bedshaped posted:

The DHD's job is done once the wormhole is open, the receiving stargate does the rest.

I need a new hobby.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxC5NgxRU8

If this clip doesn't convince you that you should really watch Stargate Atlantis I don't know what possibly could.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lmao

When they find the ancient LAN party room in the basement and decide that playing Ancient Age of Empires is Not A Bad Idea

They got dumb lucky that they found actors that ended up being basically best friends and also I mean Jason Momoa is just a dreamboat

God drat watching those guys goon around the universe making fun of ronon for being chewie and Rodney getting so mad that he didn't get to be ladies man captain Kirk hahah

Atlantis probably should have been a bad spinoff

E; in fact the goon that mentioned their bad guys being terrible- yeah I saw 20 seconds of an episode once, saw a bad guy and Rodney McKay and legitimately couldn't believe a show revolved around that.

In all fairness it takes a minute to realize the show is really about 3 friends playing a game of co op with each other and also sometimes including their Scottish friend <3

Worf fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 22, 2020

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've been watching SGU lately, and really like the ship and the whole stranded with no resources idea. Shame it got killed after season 2.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

ratchild13 posted:

I've been watching SGU lately, and really like the ship and the whole stranded with no resources idea. Shame it got killed after season 2.

Boy have I got a star trek for you...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the story of a lost ship returning home must be too great to greatly tell based on TV thats tried

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ratchild13 posted:

The explanation that came out eventually was that SyFy tepidly wanted to give it a third season, but MGM literally ran out of money as a studio to keep making it, or any other Stargate media. There was supposed to be at least one Atlantis movie in the vein of Stargate Continuum and The Ark of Truth and it got spiked around the same time too, also because MGM, a major Hollywood production company, could not afford to make it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Makes sense I guess when the only thing that makes you money is James bond movies

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
So watching the avenger episode with the gate virus thing. Why is it that every scientist other than carter is basically useless, unprofessional and generally unsuitable for a top secret cutting edge facility. Like I get they're going for troubles genius but they're not even that good at the science! Would have been nice to see some of the more capable non neurotic scientists and engineers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
SG1 is fine, but i love me some atlantis. Sheppard and McKay are so good

ratchild13 posted:

the premise of sgu was basically "what if we sucked all the fun out of stargate and then replaced it with lovely relationship drama?" it was so bad and i dont think any of it was redeemable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Makes sense I guess when the only thing that makes you money is James bond movies

Skyfall literally saved MGM from bankruptcy. If it had bombed or under preformed, MGM as a studio was going to shut down.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its fuckin sick that carter is a scientist but also blows poo poo the gently caress up drat what a useful teammate to have

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I met James Hewlett at the hospital last year, he was with his wife and son because his son had broke his arm skiing. I had a good chat with them and he was super personable and was cool to talk to. I jokingly asked him now that Jason Momoa is a huge star, does he talk to him and he said he does and actually brought him and his son to the Aquaman set. That's cool.

But yea, Stargate is a fantastic show if someone wants fun, not too up its own rear end sci-fi adventure. It's smart, it can get deep. It's episodic and serialized at the same time. It can be insanely funny but also serious.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

WilWheaton posted:

Atlantis was a ton of fun but oh god were the villains in that show the worst

Stargate as a whole never had particularly strong villains imo. The main cast was strong enough to carry the show and as long as O'Neil could make stupid jokes in some god alien's face it was good.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the scariest villains in sg1 were any time I thought they might have to face mirror universe tealc

guy was legitimately terrifying when he wasn't on your side

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

the scariest villains in sg1 were any time I thought they might have to face mirror universe tealc

guy was legitimately terrifying when he wasn't on your side

Yeah, there's a reason why any alt-Teal'cs quickly get won over to SG-1's side. I think there's more than one episode where he flat out kills all of SG-1 before the timeline/universe is restored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Dr Pepper posted:

Stargate as a whole never had particularly strong villains imo. The main cast was strong enough to carry the show and as long as O'Neil could make stupid jokes in some god alien's face it was good.

I'm a first time watcher, we started SG-1 I think late last year, just recently I posted this as my first post in the TVIV Stargate thread:

quote:

my favorite part is probably O'Neill's irreverent insouciance whenever confronting a bad guy who's a little too full of himself. The more RDA phones it in, the better O'Neill gets, it's a perfect storm of been there done that unflappability, almost self-aware that he's a lead character in a romp and is completely invincible no matter what happens, and I appreciate that.