Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Slaughter posted:

Okay xaarman sorry, I'll leave the speculation elsewhere.

All good. The reality is being a professional Pilot at the higher echelons is nearly an unbeatable good deal. There are very few jobs in the world that will pay 150k+/year for working 12 days a month. If we all get furloughed, short of walking into another Pilot job, odds are we aren't going to be able to match pay and/or lifestyle until we're recalled.

That being said, Pilots sell themselves short. We forget that they are in a position of trust, are highly educated, and can follow Standard Operating Procedures to the T. We have been in charge of other people & expensive assets. We can work long hours, and get along with nearly everybody. I think someone posted you were going for an ASI position. Well, you're gonna be competing with a lot of your brethren, but if you venture outside the Aviation bubble, you'll find you are *by far* competitive for almost any other job. You just gotta decide on what to do : )

I'm debating picking up a trade, I can't think of anything more useful and always in demand. Or healthcare. Or a government job. Either or, we'll see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Exactly.

Even at the regional level, I still make good money working maybe 15 days a month, which isn't too bad. If my airline job goes away, I'd have to move, since the only non-flying jobs here are all fast food, or $12/hr working at call centers or for various MLM's.

If I wanted to move to Seattle, I could transfer to the E-175, probably work fewer days, but spend 50% more on living expenses and be depressed all the time, so I'll just stick with my 20 minute commute for now.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah, good ideas. I'm definitely open to non aviation, it's just tough to figure out what - being in Seattle I've been looking thru the Amazon jobs and there's a few Prime Air-related jobs I applied for. One of my classmates heard back on the ASI gig, but I haven't heard anything yet although I'm sure they're flooded with apps. I figured I would be a little more in line for it compared to random people off the street - I've worked with the feds quite a bit before, worked with the NTSB as a SME, LCA work although it wasn't for that long but still, and being on an ASAP ERC with the FAA. I'll be curious to see if they get back to me. One of my classmates is in the process though, but he was an ACP at a regional and they may value that experience a little higher. It also turns out I have a pretty high up good contact at Atlas I didn't know about, and he says he can probably help later in the year - things are slowing down right now once they're done with the Compass guys. Right now I think it's best not to leave any stone uncovered. I even threw in an app with Envoy, tbh. I'd go fly the 175 again for shits and giggles even if it was a massive pay cut and commuting to reserve.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

xaarman posted:

can follow Standard Operating Procedures to the T.

Hahaaaaaaaaaaa. Maybe at your airline friendo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Reminds me of this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VCV_z52GU

Maybe it's just the -400's. Those were getting pretty old anyway and I don't think they had many left. Or maybe they just decided they already had enough widebody fleets and found someone willing to pay good money for their -8's.

I seem to remember hearing they picked the -8 over the 777 because the latter couldn't do the amount of Premium seats they wanted, so they went back to the 747.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Rolo posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve had nightmares about being an instructor that has to sit in the back.

No don’t pull the red one that’s the mixture nooooooo

Just checked and I still LOL IRL when I read this, FYI.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

quote:

SkyWest :toxx:
You guys called? :smugbird:

KodiakRS posted:

Of course. Everyone knows that the cockroaches will survive the apocalypse. :haw:

(This applies better to Mesa but after hearing multiple OO pilots call themselves a "mainline regional" I can't help but give them some flak)

Those are the 175 guys who think they're hot poo poo flying between hub cities, and forgot that we CRJ dudes do some actually challenging mountain and EAS flying. I partially blame Embry-Retarded and U N Don't for giving us FOs with too much ego and not enough aptitude/humility for some of the stuff we do.

azflyboy posted:

That doesn't apply to regionals, especially the ones that don't own their airplanes.

I'd expect Skywest to survive (gotta have someone to whipsaw the union pilots against), but the regionals that aren't wholly owned could be in trouble, especially if scope ends up forcing them to park airplanes proportionally to mainline carriers doing so.
We've already parked almost all -900s and some 175s, and I've seen a wholly owned (Endeavor) parking CRJs in Des Moines and Salina KS (Wtf?)
Just remember not all of us at the Mormon Air Force are anti union :freep: ers (although most of the western domiciled pilots are). We got a facebook group for a future possible ALPA drive, and we've had a few union drives in the past. It's just that every time we move forward organizing, management somehow pulls out a massive war chest full of nazi gold to defeat a vote. Lot of our guys who have moved on have said life's better at a union carrier.

Anyways, life's about to get shittier for all you commuters out there, United is capping flights at 70% (unless every seat is sold as per: https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-employee-travel-distancing/) while Delta and AA have capped around a similar percentage as well.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah, we get pos space til 6/31 for commuting but I only have one flight option a day on UA and it’s SEA SFO LAX. Hoping Alaska doesn’t kick off jumpseaters for social distancing reasons any time soon. I dequal anyway on 6/13 tho and they’ve said they won’t waste the money on landings classes for people they don’t see being here after Oct 1, so there’s that at least.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Finally scheduled my PPL written, so no more excuses :ohdear:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Finally scheduled my PPL written, so no more excuses :ohdear:

gently caress thats where I’m at too, except for the scheduled part.

:downsgun:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In the time before coronavirus, we had a months-long backlog of people waiting to get checkrides.

Those were the days.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Yeah, we get pos space til 6/31 for commuting but I only have one flight option a day on UA and it’s SEA SFO LAX. Hoping Alaska doesn’t kick off jumpseaters for social distancing reasons any time soon. I dequal anyway on 6/13 tho and they’ve said they won’t waste the money on landings classes for people they don’t see being here after Oct 1, so there’s that at least.

Alaska hasn't done anything with the jumpseat policies (not sure about the whole mask thing), so unless the captains or gate agents are being dicks, you should be able to get on.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It was my understanding they limited the authorized/avail seats... my buddy sent "Effective April 13 – June 30: To keep our guests and employees safe, we will be blocking seats and limiting the number of guests on board each flight. For an accurate count of seats available for non-rev travel, click on the “Show Details” button and refer to the “Auth Open” column."

I haven't actually seen one that's at the limiting number yet, but can see it happening in June for sure. Question is, can gate agents/crew override that? The E175s are actually pretty limited.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Oh, I thought you were talking about restrictions on the jumpseat itself.

Yeah, what you were sent is correct, but the flight deck jump seat should still be accessible, and the loads are light enough now that it should still work.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why are jumpseats and the rules around them still a thing when planes are half empty?

I've been wondering why airlines don't do this my entire life:

wsj posted:

Forget about the perks of priority boarding at Air France. The carrier is one of several boarding passengers seated at the back of the aircraft first, to limit traffic jams in the aisle. Many airlines are removing in-flight magazines, scrapping meal services on shorter routes, and parking the duty-free cart.

And to the surprise of nobody the top priority of the airlines now seems to be ducking liability after cashing those sweet sweet bailout checks.

quote:

Some of the biggest changes airlines envision are the result of what executives expect will be months, maybe years, of lower demand: They see fewer direct flights, for instance, which means more dreaded stopovers.

Some airlines are considering requiring passengers to sign health certifications, or to eventually carry “immunity passports”—documentation that a passenger has had, and recovered from, the virus.

Are the airlines going to partner with Cigna to get access to all your medical records? Or will they just demand a piece of paper from a certified corporate partner provider that says you recovered? Who knows? Stay tuned to find out!

Unrelated chart

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 19, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Pretty much everyone is saying that immunity passports are a horrible, horrible idea, so I have no doubt the United States will begin implementing such a system ASAP.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know, getting regular COVID tests seems to have become a status symbol for millionaires judging by how often they are bragging about it on my social media. I can totally see them wanting to be the first to get the immunity passports to brag about that too while the poors are still being forced to stay home.

Anything exclusive is a big hit when it comes to travel. It doesn't even need to be a perk, just exclude others and people will love it.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I know this is the false rebound between the first wave and second wave. But hey, cancellations are trending down and bookings are trending up!

Also I'm gonna go ahead and plug the mil reservist pilot life because I've basically halved my workload and doubled my salary throughout this entire slowdown. Considering doing a part time MBA or something with all this free time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rekinom posted:

Also I'm gonna go ahead and plug the mil reservist pilot life because I've basically halved my workload and doubled my salary throughout this entire slowdown.

Same but cargo

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This may be a stupid question, but I pull up FlightAware Live whenever I hear something low over my house out of curiosity. One that I heard today was this
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N87RB/history/20200519/1630Z/KBDR/KBDR
Not much about the company online, looks like they own 2 private jets and charter them. Is a short flight like this just because business is slow and they want to keep planes running instead of sitting, a check after maintenance, proof of aliens? Just curious.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Probably a maintenance check of some sort.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We’ve got the all-clear to resume training on June 1st, so I’m cautiously optimistic!

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Rekinom posted:

I know this is the false rebound between the first wave and second wave. But hey, cancellations are trending down and bookings are trending up!

Also I'm gonna go ahead and plug the mil reservist pilot life because I've basically halved my workload and doubled my salary throughout this entire slowdown. Considering doing a part time MBA or something with all this free time.

Started e-mailing ANG units today about openings. Have wanted to do it for a few years now, seems like this is the best time to do it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
ANG just seems like such a good life. Fly some Hercs around, chill with the bro’s, go get tax free in Afghanistan for a few months. What a life.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
:siren: :siren: I just passed the Advanced Ground Instructor with a 94%. :siren: :siren:

Many thanks to our lord and savior Sheppard Air.

Now on to the IGI with Sheppard Air.

After I complete both writtens, I will schedule a time with the FSDO, submit an IACRA, and get some new cred.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If it’s anything like when I took it 7 or so years ago, the IGI is almost identical to the instrument written. I took it immediately after and passed without extra studying. Cheers on the AGI pass :cheers:

I think the only written I’ve ever truly hated was the ATP. Too big of a question bank, airplane specific performance charts and too much “this is wrong but put it anyways” memorization.

Good riddance.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I'm actually looking into taking the ATP-CTP ......anybody got a lead on that?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

I'm actually looking into taking the ATP-CTP ......anybody got a lead on that?

The test or the actual 10 hours of sim time?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
simulator thingy and required ground school

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The ATP CTP is an expensive summer camp for pilots. If you’ve never been in a jet environment it’s a good way to pick up some fundamentals. I had 2 other pilots in my class, one of which had a very hard time and kept beating himself up. He still got his certificate. They’re not expecting you to pass an oral or a check ride so if you try to relax and enjoy it you will.

I did mine after already having a few PIC types and working at FlightSafety so the sim portion was mostly us messing around. I was in the EMB145 and we spent about an hour in Rio seeing how close we could get to the Jesus statue, landing on bridges, putting gondolas through the engines, etc.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

GWBBQ posted:

This may be a stupid question, but I pull up FlightAware Live whenever I hear something low over my house out of curiosity. One that I heard today was this
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N87RB/history/20200519/1630Z/KBDR/KBDR
Not much about the company online, looks like they own 2 private jets and charter them. Is a short flight like this just because business is slow and they want to keep planes running instead of sitting, a check after maintenance, proof of aliens? Just curious.

Altitude and speed says it's stall checks. Probably replaced a winglet or something.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
https://samchui.com/2020/05/21/swift-air-b737-lands-with-tail-parts-missing/#.XsdhTmhKgUE

How the hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

looks like the front fell off.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bird strike maybe? I’d imagine that’s not a structural piece so other than a fuel burn penalty it’d be perfectly safe to operate.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since it seems to have just come out of storage, I'd bet that someone didn't secure an access panel or something when it got put back into service, and it just took that entire fairing with it when the air loads got high enough.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If anything they're lucky it came off cleanly instead of clinging to life, flailing around, and beating the poo poo out of the empennage.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Sure
Wish
I'd
Finished
Tightening!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have seen several flights like this over the last week or so.

What are they doing? Some sort of autopilot calibration? Aerial photography?

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

It’s an aerial survey of some type or another.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/interesting-patterns-on-flightradar24/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
What altitude was that at? Below 10,000' that's some seriously congested airspace.