Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
My Sarracenias survived the winter and have flowered spectacularly :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Quarantine has made me do things I never thought I would do. Today, I dug up two root suckers from the cherry blossom tree in my front yard. Tomorrow I am going to cut some of the softwood shoots and try propagating the trees from them as well. I even bought root hormones.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

subpar anachronism posted:

I'm not great at outdoor plants so hoping one of you can help me with an ID - my friend working as a landscaper sent this to me asking if I knew what it was and how to get rid of it, because they're struggling to control it. My first guess would have been some sort of lily but due to its invasiveness and resistance to glyphosate I'm leaning more towards like... helleborine. Zone 7b/8a.

Kind of looks like a gloriosa lily? But they are kind of more vines.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I need some pest control advice. I planted some peony bulbs a few weeks ago, and one of them has been dug up and absconded with by the local rodentia. I assume it was a rabbit, though we also get chipmunks and squirrels here as well. I can't think of anything else that would do this. At any rate, what works best to keep them away assuming I want to use non-lethal means?

Fortunately they appear to have left the gladiola and begonia bulbs alone thus far.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 22, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Some kind of fencing is usually the best solution, albeit a boring one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Good luck keeping rodents out with fences.

It’s possible, but it isn’t easy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Are you sure he didn't mean fencing instead of fencing? Maybe he's supposed to fight the rodents with swords.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Meaty Ore posted:

I need some pest control advice. I planted some peony bulbs a few weeks ago, and one of them has been dug up and absconded with by the local rodentia. I assume it was a rabbit, though we also get chipmunks and squirrels here as well. I can't think of anything else that would do this. At any rate, what works best to keep them away assuming I want to use non-lethal means?

Fortunately they appear to have left the gladiola and begonia bulbs alone thus far.

I’m trying garlic spray this year. I put some down yesterday around new plantings to see if it will help. This is the one I bought if you want to give it a try. It’s for mosquitos but is almost entirely made of garlic.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Platystemon posted:

Well — good luck keeping rodents out at all, you know? Unless you opt for using poison or traps (which are only temporary solutions, depending on the type of rodent). Fencing doesn't necessarily have to be 100% impenetrable (and it never is), just annoying enough to encourage the animal to expend their energy elsewhere.

Build a tiny path to your closest neighbour, complete with rodent-sized signs that say "This way to better grub!"

Serious answer: figure out what's eating your bulbs first. Some farmers here grow sacrificial crops to keep pests away from more precious fields; maybe you can supply feed that this particular culprit would prefer, away from your bulbs.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Meaty Ore posted:

Goddamn!! bunnies suck and this is the first I've heard of them loving around with peonies. Huge expensive bummer

I like Liquid Fence, which smells like unholy hell but does a pretty good job keeping critters away, even deer for the most part. You can also sprinkle cayenne pepper over the area you want to protect. Both of these only work until the next rain comes or you water, then you have to reapply

Edit: theres of course also the usual advice of planting annuals like marigolds, verbena, and impatiens around where you want to protect. any sort of highly odoriferous herb will do this too (DONT PLANT MINT). coneflower (echinacea) is a good perennial option

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 22, 2020

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

LoreOfSerpents posted:

If you're consistently having trouble in that area, have you considered that there might be something wrong with the soil? Assuming that's not a brand new hosta, it looks pretty stunted, which makes me wonder if you've got a disease in the soil.

If you're not sure, you can take a soil sample near the roots and send it off to a lab.

I had considered that maybe the soil wasn’t very good, though I hadn’t thought about it being diseased. There was nothing but ivy on my side a couple years ago. Not sure if that might do anything.

That said, it’s very likely I just didn’t take good enough care until they were established. Ny concept of gardening up until now has been dig hole, put plant in, water every so often. The laurels seem to be doing ok and I see new growth. And the other hosta has filled in a bit.

The Rutgers lab is closed for the moment so I think I just gotta wait and see.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I’m trying garlic spray this year. I put some down yesterday around new plantings to see if it will help. This is the one I bought if you want to give it a try. It’s for mosquitos but is almost entirely made of garlic.

We started using that last year and...I honestly don’t know if it works. It rained a lot mid season which made it difficult to tell. We still got a ton of mosquitos end of July into August. I’m trying again this year in concert with ivy removal, which I hope might take away some of their breeding grounds. We also mostly get those tiger mosquitoes, which can go to hell. They’re out at all hours of the day and will just go after you again and again. I’ve read they can breed just in tiny bodies of water, like an overturned bottle cap, so it can be really tough to get rid of breeding areas

z0331 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 22, 2020

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It's very unlikely that ivy is providing a giant mosquito breeding ground; it's just as much a home for things that eat mosquitoes as it is is for the pests. The more likely culprit is a neighbor with an old pond or a bunch of junk collecting rainwater.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

there wolf posted:

It's very unlikely that ivy is providing a giant mosquito breeding ground; it's just as much a home for things that eat mosquitoes as it is is for the pests. The more likely culprit is a neighbor with an old pond or a bunch of junk collecting rainwater.

You could have at least let me hold on to the hope for a bit. :smith:

Like I said, I read that tiger mosquitoes can breed practically anywhere there's a tiny bit of water. We get lots of them all around the house, so I don't think there's one neighbor or area that is the culprit.

It could be worse, I guess. My parents in Maine have a screened in porch and last summer you could literally see an army of dozens of regular (ie: not tiger) mosquitoes trying to get in and sitting on the outside of the screen.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

z0331 posted:

I had considered that maybe the soil wasn’t very good, though I hadn’t thought about it being diseased. There was nothing but ivy on my side a couple years ago. Not sure if that might do anything.

That said, it’s very likely I just didn’t take good enough care until they were established. Ny concept of gardening up until now has been dig hole, put plant in, water every so often. The laurels seem to be doing ok and I see new growth. And the other hosta has filled in a bit.

The Rutgers lab is closed for the moment so I think I just gotta wait and see.

We started using that last year and...I honestly don’t know if it works. It rained a lot mid season which made it difficult to tell. We still got a ton of mosquitos end of July into August. I’m trying again this year in concert with ivy removal, which I hope might take away some of their breeding grounds. We also mostly get those tiger mosquitoes, which can go to hell. They’re out at all hours of the day and will just go after you again and again. I’ve read they can breed just in tiny bodies of water, like an overturned bottle cap, so it can be really tough to get rid of breeding areas

Yeah this is the first year we’re using it, so we’ll see if it works for mosquitoes for us. I checked my sunflower seedlings this morning and 2 of them got taken by an animal so doesn’t seem to work for plant protection.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

So possibly a dumb question, but even though I've been gardening for years, I've been just kind of derping along with premixed potting soils. I finally gave in and bought some things with which to amend it, like perlite and sphagnum, but I want to repot my monstera and I see recommendations for orchid bark. Is this this same kind of pine/fir bark that's sold as mulch or something different?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

A few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball kept the squirrels out of all of my containers last season. They need a refresh after a rain, but that's about it on upkeep. You can tuck them under foliage if you don't like the glaring whiteness in your beds. It could work for rabbits, too, but I couldn't speak to that. (We have chickenwire for that.)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

subpar anachronism posted:

So possibly a dumb question, but even though I've been gardening for years, I've been just kind of derping along with premixed potting soils. I finally gave in and bought some things with which to amend it, like perlite and sphagnum, but I want to repot my monstera and I see recommendations for orchid bark. Is this this same kind of pine/fir bark that's sold as mulch or something different?
Yup. It's usually bark from Pinus pinaster, at least here in Europe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Where has this relative of the world’d largest flower (well, unbranched inflorescence) been all my life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lb72WLaLkQ

Easy to care for, edible, ornamental, pretty drat hardy underground and can further be dug up to protect it through any winter. Or simply grow it as a houseplant!

I’ll take a dozen.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

https://wimastergardener.org/article/voodoo-lily-amorphophallus-konjac/ posted:

When in bloom it produces an odor like a dead animal, the smell intended to attract the carrion flies that are its natural pollinators. If this is objectionable the flower can be cut off or covered with a plastic bag to confine the smell.

Ornamental might be stretching it..........

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I thought about that, but I’ve seen the big brother A. titanum in person and the smell on even that magnificent beast was highly overstated.

I need to get more carnivorous plants to capitalise on it. :unsmigghh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Where has this relative of the world’d largest flower (well, unbranched inflorescence) been all my life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lb72WLaLkQ

Easy to care for, edible, ornamental, pretty drat hardy underground and can further be dug up to protect it through any winter. Or simply grow it as a houseplant!

I’ll take a dozen.
I received two happy little tubers from a fellow goon two seasons back. Those two have graduated into fairly ginormous pots, and all their babies have taken up another four pots all by themselves. No flowers on mine yet, but check back a few months back in this thread for more photos from a fellow recipient of this floral good fortune! They're very cool plants, and I can't wait for mine to pop their leaves.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I have a quick question about my apple tree I planted last year. I pruned it in winter following various guides and it was looking pretty good, but as its grown this spring one the the bigger branches has started to sag badly. It feels pretty unsupported and weak and has gone from forming part of a quite clear goblet shape to hanging way out.

Excuse the crappy photo, it's the horizontal one on the left.

Any suggestions on what I might do about it?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blacknose posted:

I have a quick question about my apple tree I planted last year. I pruned it in winter following various guides and it was looking pretty good, but as its grown this spring one the the bigger branches has started to sag badly. It feels pretty unsupported and weak and has gone from forming part of a quite clear goblet shape to hanging way out.

Excuse the crappy photo, it's the horizontal one on the left.

Any suggestions on what I might do about it?

Nothing wrong with propping it up until it grows stronger.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

That seems so obvious that I feel faintly stupid for not having done it already.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blacknose posted:

That seems so obvious that I feel faintly stupid for not having done it already.

I only thought of it because my dad did it for a peach tree growing up, don’t feel dumb.

If there’s one thing I’m learning and relearning over and over again is just how crazily adaptive plants are. Give them a nudge here and there and they’ll do amazing things!

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

As I'm sure you can gather from the photo I'm generally more of a 'let the weeds grow and call them wildflowers' kind of gardener so actually having to take proper care of a plant is fairly new to me. I think before this my most complex care needs have been lavender and rosemary. Good to know that nothing is going horribly wrong with the tree.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I have a tall, thing eucalyptus tree out the front of my unit which looks like it's starting to keel over into the shared driveway of the strata. It's been storming for two days so I haven't gone out and checked exactly what's up with it yet.

Assuming it survives the storm (which it's looking like it might now) what sort of professional do I even get to come look at it? I know nothing about tree care and assume I won't be able to do anything for it myself, but it feels irresponsible just leaving it as is when it might fall across the driveway sometime.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The professional you want is an arborist. They can assess the health of the tree and recommend action to stabilise it or remove it. If it needs to be removed, the professionals who do that are in the “tree service” business.

I don’t know what Australian law is on the subject, but common law is that property owners are only responsible for their trees if there is an issue they were made aware of. If the tree was rotten in its core and no one knew about it, its fall is an act of god. If the tree was rotten and an arborist informed the owner, now the owner is on the hook if they fail to take action and the tree causes damage.

Whatever the legal situation is, getting an arborist to take a look is the right thing to do.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cheers, I'll see if I can get one. That sounds about right for my rusty torts knowledge but a moot point in this case since I don't think it will actually do any damage if it falls. I'd rather just pre-empt the problem if I can and either fix or remove it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

:swoon:

These are a few years old at this point and they're finally really showing off

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Absolutely beautiful

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've always been curious, is there something one could grow to cover the soil in small-ish indoor pots?
The thought of a bit of moss or something else small and short to grow in the pots alongside the primary plant is kinda appealing.

But I assume it's impractical, since it's something I never really see?
Most types of small grass and etc will grow pretty tall, and even stuff like microclover would still grow up to 10-15cm, which is too tall for most potted plants.

Or is it more that for some light ground cover to grow in a pot it would either be so shallow that it needs to be watered regularly, thus increasing chances of fungus and fungus gnats etc.
Or that the roots go so deep that they'd be competing with the primary plant in the pot?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Pothos generally don't grow deep roots. They're inclined to climb, but you can train them as ground cover and I'm sure there are some suitably small variants.

Maybe some tropical succulents? Low maintenance, hardly any roots to speak of.

Edit: different scale of course, but I used to grow Golden Pothos in a Monstera pot and they got along well. The Pothos helped retain moisture and filled out bare parts of the Monstera.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 27, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

SubNat posted:

I've always been curious, is there something one could grow to cover the soil in small-ish indoor pots?

It’s done with bonsai.

Someone in the thread might have recommendations.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Roots are a concern here, but it's not impossible. I've had some success with moss and Corsican mint, but definitely make sure there's a gap between the base of your plant and the surrounding ground cover otherwise there's a good chance it'll develop rot.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Hey y'all got another ID question

This stuff is over 5ft tall at this point and I have no possible idea what it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Texas Star Hibiscus?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

^^^^I don’t know my native hibiscus/mallow that well but that looks like a good option too ^^^^

coronatae posted:

Hey y'all got another ID question

This stuff is over 5ft tall at this point and I have no possible idea what it is.

Vitex/chaste tree?

Cannabis?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Its not vitex. Well it doesnt look like my shoal creek vitex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubNat posted:

I wanted to try an experiment where I'd grow a rye grass lawn in my big majesty palm pot, but then my palm tree melted and killed that idea.

Might mess around with that in winter. I wanna play with perennial peanut.