Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

My mother makes chili with one pound of ground turkey, a pound of finely diced and fried mushrooms, rotel and mild McCormicK chili seasoning. She says it's too spicy every time and adds sour cream to hers. I have only eaten it once. Regretfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Usually I go the traditional route with beans but I do like to swap them with peas sometimes. The kind of sweetness of the peas goes well with the spiciness, and if you add them toward the end so they're still a little firm they're basically the same texture as beans, just a different flavor.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
My wife makes bangin turkey chili with black, kidney, and garbanzo beans, and new mexican green chili

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ground turkey is fine in chili and probably better for me now that I'm not so young, but a lot of the ground turkey here has 'rosemary essence' added (as a preservative or antibacterial?) and that dog will not hunt.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

angerbeet posted:

Ground turkey is fine in chili and probably better for me now that I'm not so young, but a lot of the ground turkey here has 'rosemary essence' added (as a preservative or antibacterial?) and that dog will not hunt.

That sounds disgusting

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I guess it would be fine for turkey burgers or something where the rosemary is a useful thing, but not for chili. It all started about three years ago I guess? Google seems to suggest ground turkey has a short shelf live and this is some herbivorous Dr. Frankenstein bullshit.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm going to make a vegetarian chili out of lentils, quinoa, burghul and black beans and it's delicious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/FuturesEgo/status/1263027538218999813

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BMX Ninja posted:

Chorizo in chili is good stuff. Although I think chorizo is slightly different on your side of the Atlantic than the stuff we have here.

Minced lamb is a good beef substitute. It works better if you're making a milder chili that allows the richer flavour of the lamb to come through.

I made a Scottish chili once using haggis instead of minced beef. It was supposed to be a joke, but turned out really good. I think being less dense than minced beef and being only partly meat allowed it to soak up a lot more flavour.

Ground lamb is amazing, Shepard's Pie is miles better than Cottage Pie, for example, you do have to use the right spices and condiments with it though, it's not always a perfect substitute for beef.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
turkey is really fuckin good in chili. the inherent flavors of the meat itself pair wonderfully with roasted/smoked peppers and cumin.

i like ground turkey but some people don't, because the texture is just different enough from ground beef that it feels weird/wrong

you can put whole turkey parts in the chili instead. get some dark meat thighs and let 'em cook till they are fall apart tender like pulled pork.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

turkey is really fuckin good in chili. the inherent flavors of the meat itself pair wonderfully with roasted/smoked peppers and cumin.

i like ground turkey but some people don't, because the texture is just different enough from ground beef that it feels weird/wrong

you can put whole turkey parts in the chili instead. get some dark meat thighs and let 'em cook till they are fall apart tender like pulled pork.

Or just do half and half like I do. I discovered turkey chili by accident but goddamn does it work.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Turkey also requires more finess during the browning/chunking it up phase of Chili making than ground beef does, you kinda have to wait for it to solidify a little, then chunk it before it's too late, otherwise you end up with weird turkey mush, or weird big strands of turkey meat that have an unpleasant texture.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

This chicken is whiter than my skin.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Resting Lich Face posted:

Holy poo poo I never thought of using chorizo.

I use things like chorizo or Italian sausages (links if you're in the states) for a quick and easy rice dish or spaghetti sauce, I just de-skin the sausages and crumble the beautifully seasoned mince into a hot frypan

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

McSpergin posted:

I use things like chorizo or Italian sausages (links if you're in the states) for a quick and easy rice dish or spaghetti sauce, I just de-skin the sausages and crumble the beautifully seasoned mince into a hot frypan

Nothing wrong with that!

Also, I am in the states, and it's called Italian sausage here.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

I was drinking with my neighbor Ness a while back and we kind of had the munchies so we heated up some dino chicken nuggets (don't judge). Her girlfriend then proceeded to pick all the breading off a bunch of them while explaining that Ness didn't like the bread part. Ness just kind of sat there awkwardly, and to this day I have no idea if she actually liked peeling her chicken nuggets or if it was just another one of her (now ex) girlfriend's weird controlling habits. :smith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

...is that natto mixed with okra?!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

don't worry there's some avocado in there too

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Like Clockwork posted:

...is that natto mixed with okra?!

slimy, yet satisfying :colbert:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I've never had natto but every time I make rice krispy treats I think of it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Natto is pretty good if you like fermented stuff. It's got the funk I crave.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

It's all slime all the way down.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Natto is pretty good if you like fermented stuff. It's got the funk I crave.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

As somebody who is trying to lose weight, these people showing the worst version of a """""cheat day"""" bothers the ever living gently caress out of me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/imeggsellent/status/1258572413509554178

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I feel like the overlap for Costco Shoppers and Ridiculous Food Mountain Eaters is 1:1.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

d3lness posted:

As somebody who is trying to lose weight, these people showing the worst version of a """""cheat day"""" bothers the ever living gently caress out of me.

I assume nobody actually ate this, it was made for clicks then thrown out, which is even more infuriating.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I assume nobody actually ate this, it was made for clicks then thrown out, which is even more infuriating.

It's the butterfield diet plan.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's the butterfield diet plan.

Was it this thread or elsewhere that had a goon showing off their Butterfield commemorative plate?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

d3lness posted:

Was it this thread or elsewhere that had a goon showing off their Butterfield commemorative plate?

someone itt has one, and it's incredible

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

d3lness posted:

I have to assume this is a mukbang, not just someone who eats like this normally.

Mukbangs by people from the English-speaking nations of the world are horrifying to me. Why do I want to watch a stranger gorge themselves again?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm gonna say it, not a cake.

Aside from the general grossness of eating that much food at once, that's just a disservice to all those ingredients by putting them in a gross mess that's just a bad presentation and not easy to eat.

The principle of a cheat day is pretty straightforward, to reset your metabolism after your diet starts moving into starvation mode where it conserves fat instead of burning it, but I'm not sure at what point you get diminishing returns from eating too much in one day.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Stolen from another thread, but seemed like it belonged here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zil posted:

Stolen from another thread, but seemed like it belonged here.

I don't see anything wrong with this picture :confused:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't see anything wrong with this picture :confused:

You realize that's a twinkie right

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You realize that's a twinkie right

yes, it's not like donuts used as burger buns hasn't been a thing for a decade now

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how dare you traipse in here and sully the good name of the Twinkie-wiener sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's from UHF the blockbuster hit by Weird Al.

Also missing the dip in milk.