Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

snergle posted:

not quite. she thinks it illegal for your phone to not work for calling the cops because calling the cops is a right. she thinks that even with no phone service using the phone to dial 911 has to work same with your power out. its some dumb poo poo

You can call 911 without a SIM card with most phones. Maybe she got this confused?

Why am I acting in good faith with this? We know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Boomers love to brag about how for them balancing a career and raising multiple kids was easy, while totally neglecting to mention that their parents did the bulk of the early-childhood childcare for them, and deny it when you remind them that you spent the bulk of your first 4 years being watched by Grandma. They also can't watch your kids for you, because they're busy that day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Boomers in general love to measure by milestone and not by context.

You're in your 30s and you don't have a house? You must be the problem. Even when the story is the same across the majority people the problem must be "well your generation is messing up" and never ever "the housing market is hosed beyond repair."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It never occurs to them that not everyone is interested in the milestones of home ownership/getting married/having kids, either. The idea that people don't all want to follow a single life path is completely alien to them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
in fiction, this is how it works

in fiction, folks have a fatality rate of a ridiculous amount so being paranoid is justified

in fiction, masculinity is like 80% of what you need for a leader and blustering counts as masculinity

in fiction, conspiracy theories are like 80% true

in fiction, in fiction, in fiction....

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

It never occurs to them that not everyone is interested in the milestones of home ownership/getting married/having kids, either. The idea that people don't all want to follow a single life path is completely alien to them.

Boomers like to take any life choice that isn't the same as theirs as an invitation to try and convince you.

Its never Gen X, or Gen Z, or other Millennials that try to convince me that I'll just change my mind about how/when/if I will do a certain milestone/life event.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dienes posted:

Boomers like to take any life choice that isn't the same as theirs as an invitation to try and convince you.

Its never Gen X, or Gen Z, or other Millennials that try to convince me that I'll just change my mind about how/when/if I will do a certain milestone/life event.

They take any life choices that isn't the one they made as an attack on their choice and a deliberate personal insult. That's why they feel a need to defend and justify.

The same with preferences and tastes other than theirs. It's not limited to Boomers but by god it's astonishingly common to them.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

bob dobbs is dead posted:

in fiction, this is how it works

in fiction, folks have a fatality rate of a ridiculous amount so being paranoid is justified

in fiction, masculinity is like 80% of what you need for a leader and blustering counts as masculinity

in fiction, in fiction, in fiction....

A generation raised by television

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Boomers in general love to measure by milestone and not by context.

You're in your 30s and you don't have a house? You must be the problem. Even when the story is the same across the majority people the problem must be "well your generation is messing up" and never ever "the housing market is hosed beyond repair."

Of course they don't want context. It might make them look bad.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

LabyaMynora posted:

American Christianity functions a lot like Satanism.

Um, no.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Yeah, Satanists are cool AF. (not the ones who actually believe in Satan)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

This is the one that has fried people's brains, and not just boomers.

In every movie, the conspiracy ends up being TRUE!!!

...because a movie where it didn't would just kind of be lovely.

Americans are entertaining themselves to death.

Not fake rear end "I'm just here to shock people!" LeVey-style Satanism. I mean, like, literally worshiping the adversary of man and God - Prince of Lies poo poo. Blood sacrifice, doing whatever you want to people, stealing, lying, raping, torturing, maiming, murdering-style Satanism.

Ultimately, in American Evangelical Christianity, you can do anything, hurt anyone and then just tell yourself that Jesus forgives you for it without really repenting or making it right with anyone. You don't even have to tell a priest. You kill a hooker, then go, "Whelp! Jesus forgives me!" and do it all over again. It's no different than Richard Ramirez killing people for Satan.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LabyaMynora posted:

In every movie, the conspiracy ends up being TRUE!!!

...because a movie where it didn't would just kind of be lovely.

Americans are entertaining themselves to death.

Have you ever read Foucault's Pendulum?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

VideoTapir posted:

Have you ever read Foucault's Pendulum?

Nope.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have this suspicion that you would enjoy it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

LabyaMynora posted:

Not fake rear end "I'm just here to shock people!" LeVey-style Satanism. I mean, like, literally worshiping the adversary of man and God - Prince of Lies poo poo. Blood sacrifice, doing whatever you want to people, stealing, lying, raping, torturing, maiming, murdering-style Satanism.

You're thinking of devil worshipers, Satanism is a troll religion for cool kids and it's own thing.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nah laveyan satanism is libertarianism but for even bigger nerds.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
There is no such thing as animal sacrificing child murdering satanism. Those are just crazy people. And the satanic temple is basically an activist group.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

if you claim to be "that" kind of satanist then it means you believe in the whole christian mythos, with satan being the symbol of all evil and hatred, etc etc. And you most likely have a number of severe mental disorders. Sacrificing kids and poo poo? hot drat that's crazeh

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
My boomer parents told me dungeons and dragons was devil worshipping. I wonder if they still believe this.
Little did they know I didn’t have any friends to play dnd with anyways

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dienes posted:

Casual aquaintances who talk about how you and your SO should be married if you're going to live together.

Then they reveal that they don't talk to their SO/kids but then want to talk about CHRIST.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

if you claim to be "that" kind of satanist then it means you believe in the whole christian mythos, with satan being the symbol of all evil and hatred, etc etc. And you most likely have a number of severe mental disorders. Sacrificing kids and poo poo? hot drat that's crazeh

Satan was an angel that disagreed with God and got cast out. If you disagree with God than Satan is your friend. All that other poo poo is lies God and his followers made up.

Satan is cool and good and wants to help people but isn't God, so he can't make things happen. God is infinitely powerful and makes bad poo poo happen because he's a dick. That's my take of the whole stupid thing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah laveyan satanism is libertarianism but for even bigger nerds.

So a troll religion for "cool" lovely kids.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

if you claim to be "that" kind of satanist then it means you believe in the whole christian mythos, with satan being the symbol of all evil and hatred, etc etc.

Yeah, you're basically worshipping the antagonist of a story whose entire purpose is to be defeated. Like Darth Vader or Voldemort.

But, y'know, some people do it, 'cuz there's always the guy who will lick cum off peep show booths floors, there's always the pervert who will eat literal poo poo to get off, and there's always some chick who will marry a serial killer sentenced to life in prison.

People are hosed up, complicated, and dumb as hell.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Outrail posted:

Satan was an angel that disagreed with God and got cast out.

Pretty sure that's fan fiction written in the 1600s.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LabyaMynora posted:

And batman could beat superman. What's your point?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
BibleFight.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Outrail posted:

And batman could beat superman. What's your point?

Paradise Lost:The Bible::Fifty Shades of Gray:Twilight

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Probably shouldn't derail into Bible fights.

Boomers like saying 'I'm not going to argue with you' and assume they won the argument.

I've gotten into a few Bible arguments with boomer age Jehovah's witnesses and they really don't like it when you try to discuss poo poo like the ethics of original sin.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

My parents are fairly progressive but even they absorbed some dumb Satanic Panic propaganda. They wouldn't buy certain clothes I liked because there was too much black on them. Like, not even fully black clothes or anything, just too high a percentage of black on them.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

My parents are fairly progressive but even they absorbed some dumb Satanic Panic propaganda. They wouldn't buy certain clothes I liked because there was too much black on them. Like, not even fully black clothes or anything, just too high a percentage of black on them.
:hfive: fellow not-allowed-to-wear-black-as-a-kid because it's Scary buddy.

This was post-satanic panic and pre-columbine. My boomer parents were/are 100% agnostic, they just figured randos would naturally assume that they were Weird Bad Parents if they were seen in public with a kid wearing dark clothing (because that's how they judged strangers themselves)

Also no tshirts or backpacks or whatever with cartoon characters or pop culture stuff because those same hypothetical strangers would assume that they were lazy parents who actively encouraged their kid to be Childish.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I feel that Jack Chick tracts kept the embers of the D&D Satanic panic burning until at least the early 2000s.

But it honestly doesn't seem like it ever truly went away. It just mutated. Things are dumber than ever.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
boomers like to die exactly when it will hurt you the most

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

If boomers control the vote then is Marc Harmon from NCIS the next Prez? They love that guy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

unknown butthole posted:

boomers like to die exactly when it will hurt you the most

Sorry :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dely Apple posted:

If boomers control the vote then is Marc Harmon from NCIS the next Prez? They love that guy.

The 30 year old goth teenager finally quit the show because his untrained pit bulls kept attacking her

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Arven posted:

Boomers love to brag about how for them balancing a career and raising multiple kids was easy, while totally neglecting to mention that their parents did the bulk of the early-childhood childcare for them, and deny it when you remind them that you spent the bulk of your first 4 years being watched by Grandma. They also can't watch your kids for you, because they're busy that day.

It's a little easier to raise kids when you can afford a stay at home mom instead of living in the hell economy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Chick tracts are still being circulated even though chick is dead btw if the trash cans at my park at any indication.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 30 year old goth teenager finally quit the show because his untrained pit bulls kept attacking her

You mean the 50 year old goth teenager.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's a little easier to raise kids when you can afford a stay at home mom instead of living in the hell economy.

how much is a stay at home mom

asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

LabyaMynora posted:

In a Christian context maybe but Islam has the story like that from the start