Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any good romance games where you must choose between your LI and the world?

This is an idea I find fascinating and you see it in various media in one form or another. The hero must choose between the love of his life or the world. By "the world" I don't just mean the literal world but more what it represents. What would you give up for the one person you love? Everything?

Are there any VN's like this? Please no spoilers on exact details. I've seen this scenario in media where I couldn't actually control the story. I think it would be so much more meaningful in a romance game.

You want the third route of Fate/stay night

For the first two routes, you're not going to know why the hell I rec'd it in light of this, and then when you get to the third, you will 100% understand

And, yeah, your hunch is basically on the money, Heaven's Feel will most likely make you full-on ugly-cry at several different points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm halfway through the 25th ward: the silver case. the kill the past games sure are a hell of a mood

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm really getting into Raging Loop. I love how Fusaishi uses the fact that he's looping to gently caress with people. The whole bit with Kiyonosuke and Rikako in the dining hall in the second route was hilarious.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Gonna play Sakuranomori Dreamers today, the Moonstone moege/horror VN. I'm insanely excited, I've been hyped for this one for like 3 years now and then yesterday found out it's been translated for a month and a half lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm really getting into Raging Loop. I love how Fusaishi uses the fact that he's looping to gently caress with people. The whole bit with Kiyonosuke and Rikako in the dining hall in the second route was hilarious.
Yeah Fusaishi does a lot to carry Raging Loop, hes an active participant in the plot and understands what he can use his circumstances to do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In retrospect Raging Loop was fairly flawed in a few ways, but it benefited from enjoyable characters and good music/voice acting. The plot was also coherent (which is more than you can say for many stories), though the ending and broader plot stuff was less interesting to me than the actual wolf games.

I ended up enjoying it more than most VNs I've played. I'd probably put it on a similar level to Rewrite.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The ending is what kind of ruined Raging Loop for me. It felt like there was massive plot holes, and it left a bunch of plot threads hanging. I know some of that stuff was probably explained in the extra stuff, but I feel like it should have been dealt with in the narrative. I especially like how a little girl wanders off in the middle of nowhere, but our protagonist thinks that she will be perfectly okay and she can handle herself. (Yes, I know she is a cameo from some other game)

It just felt like they wanted a rational explanation for everything, but still wanted the player to believe something supernatural beyond the time loop was going on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd recommend doing at least the sheep epilogue.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

As someone who has not played raging loop, do the epilogues fill in the holes enough to make a cohesive whole, or does it kinda pull a zero time dilemma?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The ending as it stands was satisfying enough to me, and I haven't read any of the epilogue stories. I did go through Revelation mode, but that's more for fun side scenes and a few more character moments. It's probably the weakest part of the game but everything leading up to it was good enough for me to not worry about it too much. Besides, even in itself it's a good emotional conclusion to the story.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I beat Raging Loop. Very good!!!! I liked it alot.

ending/postgame stuff:
I do think they dug a bit too greedily with the worldbuilding stuff. Introducing all these factions and powers in a bonus scene was kinda wack. Especially since it kind of muddles things. The Sheep scene implies that Haruaki has a latent Jinx power of "Magician" which allows him to turn magical things into the mundane...which implies that we don't actually know what REALLY was going on during the loops he wasn't present in since the stuff all became logical and done by humans because he believed it was and had logic to back it up...The first route also was clearly magical in nature since he wasn't thinking about the scenario logically so, is it implying that it was all magical and he just warped reality into making it done by humans? It's weird...

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm in the middle of reading You and Me and Her and it's a wild ride. I'd heard about it before it got released and had been looking forward to it. After that, I may try to muscle through Subahibi but it's rough.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I might give you and me and her a go after I finish yu-no. I’m enjoying it so far. I’m even kind of liking the whole it’s aliens thing they got going on, even if I’m not exactly correct about the reasoning or implications.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

A new thread in which to say Fatal Twelve is my favorite visual novel and more people should play it.

Playing it right now.
I'm currently just past week 7, and I don't want to unfairly judge it before I'm done, but there's a some things I don't like about the writing so far:
- It really likes to hide information from the reader, both by means of convenient amnesia as well as by simply not telling you things the characters already know or should know.
- There's a bunch of coincidences that really feel like the writer just couldn't think of a better way to move the plot forward
- The rules of the Divine Selection don't seem well thought out...which leads to weird behavior, specifically: Keiko, Sonya and Miharu all definitely want Rinka to win (unless Miharu is playing the really long con). Ushizuka and Yuu were cooperative as well and probably wouldn't have minded helping her out. Yet not a single one of them shared their cards with Rinka outside of Keiko telling her Alan's name. Which didn't help at all because he wasn't even trying to hide it

Week 7 was cool though, I'm hoping they don't waste that momentum and slow down now.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tamba posted:

- The rules of the Divine Selection don't seem well thought out...which leads to weird behavior, specifically: Keiko, Sonya and Miharu all definitely want Rinka to win (unless Miharu is playing the really long con). Ushizuka and Yuu were cooperative as well and probably wouldn't have minded helping her out. Yet not a single one of them shared their cards with Rinka outside of Keiko telling her Alan's name. Which didn't help at all because he wasn't even trying to hide it

The same thing occurred to me when I was playing, but I'm not actually sure they could do that even if they wanted to. Generating a "cause of death" or "regret" card normally requires that you have some kind of basis to believe the information it holds, as we saw in that scene with Team Rocket early on where they were figuring out the businessman's information. Cards that you start with or win from someone else during Divine Selection are a special case where you have the information without the basis for it, so you might not be able to use them to give the same card to someone else.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Sakuranomori Dreamers was kind of a mess, in retrospect. Fun to go through as it's happening, but in retrospect they almost immediately get outright bored of their entire premise. They only really bother to do 2 actual nightmarish dream scenarios, then there's one that's just "oh now this character's a BDSM queen in her dream, that's it" and then they drop it entirely except for a brief 5 minute segment near the end. Instead of dreams the protagonist and antagonist both suddenly go Parasyte the Maxim and it's just really stupid and boring. The whole point of a premise where you invade the dreams of serial killers and fight them within those dreams is to lead up to the big cheese, the real hosed up motherfucker, the huge showdown, and instead you fight him in a parking garage like he's a Resident Evil boss.

I was looking forward to this game for years so I'm very disappointed.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Thuryl posted:

The same thing occurred to me when I was playing, but I'm not actually sure they could do that even if they wanted to. Generating a "cause of death" or "regret" card normally requires that you have some kind of basis to believe the information it holds, as we saw in that scene with Team Rocket early on where they were figuring out the businessman's information. Cards that you start with or win from someone else during Divine Selection are a special case where you have the information without the basis for it, so you might not be able to use them to give the same card to someone else.

Finished the 8th week now.
Even if it doesn't directly give you the cards, you can use the information on it to figure out enough to get the card yourself. Like what just happened with the number IX guy

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

MegaZeroX posted:

Higurashi is getting an actually good anime now! There is now a trailer

The old Higurashi anime was good :colbert:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, the old Higurashi was good. (aside from the terrible OVAs.)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

tfw when you snipe a 2 and a half month old post...

At any rate, they bungled it enough to have to make an extra plot arc just to make everything fit together. And I'm not a fan of the old character art style.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To hell with you then!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
The sad part is, if they’d take time and let it run, it would work fine. People are familiar enough with the format.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/06/decoding-the-clues-after-10-years-the-fenn-treasure-has-finally-been-found/

A tiny part of me wonders if this influenced Umineko at all. Umineko was out before but it's a really cool similarity.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Hey, I got Raging Loop for the Switch on sale. I know practically nothing about it. Is there anything I should know beforehand that could help me while playing it?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Julias posted:

Hey, I got Raging Loop for the Switch on sale. I know practically nothing about it. Is there anything I should know beforehand that could help me while playing it?

No, its a pretty standard VN gameplay wise, and it gives you hints about how to get to the next path.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's almost 100% linear despite occasionally looking like it might not be

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The secret bonus endings in Raging Loop are literally invitations to write fanfics. This is not something I expected, but I welcome it nonetheless.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I watched a Steamed Hams parody of Umineko and, no lie, it set me on a binge of a series that I thought would be too complex for my liking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Supersonic Shine posted:

I watched a Steamed Hams parody of Umineko and, no lie, it set me on a binge of a series that I thought would be too complex for my liking.

lmao this is amazing. Anyone who has played Umineko should watch that.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'm assuming it should only be watched by people that have finished it, right?

Also, ugh another reminder that I still need to finish Umineko. Time, where art thou?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That owns.

MegaZeroX posted:

Also, ugh another reminder that I still need to finish Umineko. Time, where art thou?

I think it's fine if you haven't played it, it's just that you might get more out of it having played it.

Also thanks for the heads up for Raging Loop everyone.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

Nah it's fine. The only people I might recommend against watching it are people who haven't played through Episode 1 yet (and even then not really for plot spoilers so much as stuff about how things are presented).

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

OK I watched it and without love it can't be steamed killed me.

One thing is that subsume who watches should be at least through chapter 3 to get everything. Also, I'm pretty sure there are music spoilers for 7 and/or 8 as I don't recognize the intense track

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

OK I watched it and without love it can't be steamed killed me.

One thing is that subsume who watches should be at least through chapter 3 to get everything. Also, I'm pretty sure there are music spoilers for 7 and/or 8 as I don't recognize the intense track

Ah yeah, you're right; forgot red text isn't introduced until then.

Also you're correct about that music. I kinda wonder if they meant to use Golden Slaughterer instead, because the tracks are similar.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ah yeah, you're right; forgot red text isn't introduced until then.

Also you're correct about that music. I kinda wonder if they meant to use Golden Slaughterer instead, because the tracks are similar.

Red text is introduce in chapter 2, but the end definitely draws influence from the end of chapter 3, particularly with Chalmer's reaction.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
reading higurashi and umineko still did not prepare me for ciconia

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just dropping in to tell you guy's I've finally caved to the incessant walls of spoilers and started to play umineko.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Colonel posted:

reading higurashi and umineko still did not prepare me for ciconia

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How can you be a homphobe and name yourself umu