Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Tyrannosaurus Sex
:cmon:

Predator quote.

Edit: also you will find there were no living pterosaurs of any kind in Jurassic Park.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 06:25 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Wasabi the J posted:

Something else I picked up watching Gaki no Tsukai is that those count as their own syllable!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-pS6V5jJs

How the gently caress

I took Spanish middle through high school ten years ago

the only time I've used it since then is to make like caveman level "UGH ME DO THING, YOU DO OTHER THING" communication in multiplayer games

how do I understand 90-95% of those subtitles???

the over-the-top body language and overblown reactions might help, but i'm still amazed

feel like I just won a game of "telephone"' where the spoken phrase was 15 minutes long...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phlegmish posted:

Oh, so now these pterodactyl snowflakes don't want to be associated with the rest of the dinosaurs? They really need to get over themselves.

You might say it’s kind of a saur subject

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

christmas boots posted:

You might say it’s kind of a saur subject

It’s just a reptile dysfunction.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And if you actually want to be accurate dinosaurs weren't reptiles

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Predator quote.

Edit: also you will find there were no living pterosaurs of any kind in Jurassic Park.

You’re either being pedantic (:ironicat:) and limiting it to the first movie/Isla Nublar or you have not seen the masterpiece that is Jurassic Park III.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

purple death ray posted:

I don't want to be accurate. As far as I'm concerned they're a bunch birds the size of pickup trucks.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

zedprime posted:

I don't want to be accurate. As far as I'm concerned they're a bunch birds the size of pickup trucks.

That's more accurate than calling them reptiles though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Aren’t birds taxonomically reptiles now?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Henchman of Santa posted:

You’re either being pedantic (:ironicat:) and limiting it to the first movie/Isla Nublar or you have not seen the masterpiece that is Jurassic Park III.

I’d forgotten how bad it was, but this week’s Pitch Meeting reminded me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

So you didn’t choke on two hot dogs?

Nope, could breathe just fine (the area of my disease is, as with most people, centered midway down the chest), it was just a case of my body reacting... badly to a pea sized chunk of chewed up meat.

It's a relatively rare(ish) comorbidity with asthma, which I've got in spades.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

There were also pterodactyls in the Lost World, so it's the first.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Terror Sowers

AKA pelicans, which were in Jurassic Park.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Were they pterodactyls, or pteranodons?

Dinosar and dinosaur-adjacent animals have a HUGE taxonomy problem, at least when it comes to lay-person terminology.

Don't get me started on the whole Brontosaurus thing.

But also, when looking at a wiki article on Pterosaurs, it seems that some 19th century paleontologist thought they might have been some sort of flying marsupial:

quote:

In 1843, Edward Newman thought pterosaurs were flying marsupials.[91] As the bat model correctly depicted pterosaurs as furred and warm-blooded, it better approached the true physiology of pterosaurs than Cuvier's "reptile model".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's really weird to consider the animals that existed as mid-points between reptiles and mammals. Just millions of years of organisms living and dying as hosed up alligator dogs

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hosed Up Alligator Dogs is also the name of my Creedence Clearwater-themed thrash band

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

purple death ray posted:

As far as I know, dinosaurs were definitely reptiles. They weren't lizards.

:goonsay:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

And that's terrible

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

purple death ray posted:

It's really weird to consider the animals that existed as mid-points between reptiles and mammals. Just millions of years of organisms living and dying as hosed up alligator dogs

I would love a sequel called Permian Park where people encounter Dimetrodon.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Pterosaur, flappin so fast
Pterosaur, he scream at own rear end
Pterosaur, crazy for meat
Pterosaur, extinct as can be

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Proterozoic Park (it's educational but very boring)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You won't want to miss episode 212,589,782, I hear this is the one where the eukaryotes finally show up

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

You won't want to miss episode 212,589,782, I hear this is the one where the eukaryotes finally show up

I also had the spiral-bound SimEarth manual that weighed 8,000 pounds

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Don't get me started on the whole Brontosaurus thing.

I've been telling people that a recent study concluded that Brontosaurus was different enough from Apatosaurus to constitute its own genus after all, making Brontosaurus a thing again.

If you think I shouldn't be doing this, you can meet me by the bike racks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I want Oligocene Park, just nothing but Baluchitherium and Glyptodons and poo poo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Even Animal Crossing know's today's fact

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Pastry of the Year posted:

I also had the spiral-bound SimEarth manual that weighed 8,000 pounds

I would pay good money for a SimEarth remake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I don't have anything to add to this conversation I just want to quote this and say I love this drawing of this dude screaming his god damned head off

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
EEEEYYYEAAAAGGGHHHH - Pteroppossum, twenty four goddamn seven most likely

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I, too, navigate primarily using the screams stemming from the horror of my own existence

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Captain Hygiene posted:

I, too, navigate primarily using the screams stemming from the horror of my own existence

echolamentation

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Phy posted:

I've been telling people that a recent study concluded that Brontosaurus was different enough from Apatosaurus to constitute its own genus after all, making Brontosaurus a thing again.

If you think I shouldn't be doing this, you can meet me by the bike racks.

No, that's the gist of it.

Some guy way back in the 1800's found an Apatosaurus, another guy found a Brontosaurus. Then a short time after, other people just said,
"Oh, Bronto is just a slightly different species in the same genus as Apatosaurus, so we should stop using that name."

But it was already out in the wild, and somehow got to be the preferred nomenclature over the firstly discovered/published Apatosaurus.

I read about that as a teenager so I was a smug jerk for a long while correcting people needlessly that there really wasn't such a thing as Brontosaurus...but yes, there is, other studies confirmed they are almost certainly two different dinosaurs. But that was pretty recent (2015) so I wasn't technically WRONG all those other years, but I was a jack-rear end about it. Though it still might not be 100% cut and dry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brontosaurus

quote:

Almost all 20th-century paleontologists agreed with Riggs that all Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus species should be classified together in a single genus. According to the rules of the ICZN (which governs the scientific names of animals), the name Apatosaurus, having been published first, had priority as the official name; Brontosaurus was considered a junior synonym and was therefore discarded from formal use.[23][24][25][26] Despite this, at least one paleontologist—Robert T. Bakker—argued in the 1990s that A. ajax and A. excelsus are in fact sufficiently distinct that the latter continues to merit a separate genus.[27] In 2015, an extensive study of diplodocid relationships by Emanuel Tschopp, Octavio Mateus, and Roger Benson concluded that Brontosaurus was indeed a valid genus of sauropod distinct from Apatosaurus. The scientists developed a statistical method to more objectively assess differences between fossil genera and species, and concluded that Brontosaurus could be "resurrected" as a valid name. They assigned two former Apatosaurus species, A. parvus and A. yahnahpin, to Brontosaurus, as well as the type species B. excelsus.[4] Paleontologist Michael D'Emic made a critique.[28] Palaeontologist Donald Prothero criticized the mass media reaction to this study as superficial and premature, concluding:

Until someone has convincingly addressed the issue, I'm going to put "Brontosaurus" in quotes and not follow the latest media fad, nor will I overrule Riggs (1903) and put the name in my books as a valid genus.[29]

So might not still be settled, though I think Dr.Prothero is just being a crotchety old jerk who doesn't like change in his field of expertise.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

purple death ray posted:

echolamentation

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

purple death ray posted:

echolamentation

:hmmyes:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DrBouvenstein posted:

So might not still be settled, though I think Dr.Prothero is just being a crotchety old jerk who doesn't like change in his field of expertise.

I've met Dr. Prothero, back in the days when there were geoscience conventions, he's actually really chill. Unless you get him started on pseudoscience, he lets rip on those idiots.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Captain Hygiene posted:

Even Animal Crossing know's today's fact

Is that the new one? I might need to reconsider my stance of not buying it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Is that the new one? I might need to reconsider my stance of not buying it.

It is, it's been a good time and the museum in particular is really beautifully designed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MisterBibs posted:

Even more famously, whenever that is erroneously brought up, I've had to bring up the fact that I've got a chronic immune disorder (eosinophilic esophagiti) usually discovered when food gets impacted halfway down my food pipe. I suppose it counts for the thread, since most folks can't believe there's a "yeah, your food pipe doesn't expand like it should" disease.

We just don't believe that you really have it, since larger, more common diseases are objectively better. You're just pretending to have a rare disease because you're a hipster.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bats are bugs, ergo Barts are burgs, Borts are Borgs, hats are hugs, and bats are bugs :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Bats are bugs, ergo Barts are burgs, Borts are Borgs, hats are hugs, and bats are bugs :eyepop: