Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nice

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

It was physically impossible for me to read all of that lmao. The only thing I came away with is that there's a dude named "Colt LeGrande" which like... lmao. It's actually kind of impressive how the combination of really poorly thought-out base storylines plus the need to be continuously updating the lore over the never-ending development (not because they actually need to, but because they think it keeps their players engaged) has combined to create this weird shambling monstrosity. Their lore is bad, it's really, really loving bad. But the constant drive to create an evolving story while their players are waiting for the game to make it feel like it's actually a 'living breathing universe' is what makes it unbearable. All these reams of text to establish some kind of backstory, and none of it sticks. It's like an egg sliding out of a teflon pan, but they keep adding more and more eggs.

Consider, for comparison, the sum of the lore that new players experience for WoW, one of the most insanely lore-heavy games I've ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WpW_FFX6I

Yeah I always marvel at the reams of lovely lore they put out and their attempts to make it seem like things are happening in their “universe” of one partially complete solar system. It’s obviously all part of the bigger dog and pony show, but I never see citizens engaged with the lore at all, other than that one dude we had on ArgCast. The lore videos are CIG’s least watched content. I wonder why they even bother?

But I guess some D-grade writers are getting Los Angeles poverty wages to endlessly churn this stuff out that will never exist in the game in any way. So, good for them?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So wait,Earth and Terra aren't the same planet in Star Citizen?

The UEE is the late roman empire. Rome (Earth) is going to get sacked by the Vandals (Vanduul) and Terra (Byzantium) will become the new capitol.

except actually they're just moving the seat of government there now, early, for no reason i guess except that they read the plot in advance

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Time_pants posted:

Who the gently caress is thIs for?

I'm serious. Who the gently caress is this for? Who was asking for 10 pages of space politics? Voter turnout in the US is something like 45% or something. People don't give a hot, gay gently caress about politics when they actually matter. Who did they envision was going to be breathlessly frigging themselves off while reading a news report about journalists who don't exist talking about politicians who don't exist and events that never happened to promote a game that doesn't exist and will never happen?

What's the God drat point of any of this??

Illusion of productivity

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

"Colt LeGrande"

Please don't reveal my sex-work pseudonym

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Wow, that's some inaccurate poo poo right there. UAC doesn't give two shits about non-OS drives, it only gives a pop-up for elevated admin privileges for protected folder ON the OS drive.

CIG ladies and gentlemen.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The UEE is the late roman empire. Rome (Earth) is going to get sacked by the Vandals (Vanduul) and Terra (Byzantium) will become the new capitol.

except actually they're just moving the seat of government there now, early, for no reason i guess except that they read the plot in advance

To be fair, Rome was sacked by the Visigoths a century after Constantine the Great established the Eastern capital in Byzantium. By that time the Empire was split in half with two emperors, and Rome wasn’t even the capital of the Western half anymore, that had been moved to Ravenna.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Have we ever heard about a single other branch of this gigantic, 100-planet Imperial Government other than the Navy? I've read way too loving much of the lore and I think that's literally the only government function that has ever been mentioned. Everything else is handled by private megacorporations.

I believe the floor moppers union has been mentioned. Although they call them low level backers.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

UnknownTarget posted:

It's me, the turrets on every fighter that are as big as a house.

If a turret is on a super performing fighter, then that means there's no performance penalty for turrets?
If there's no performance penalty then why doesn't literally everything just only have turrets?
If everything is turrets then why even have a ship look like a plane?
If things that don't look like planes and perform just as well in atmo (Herald) then why make anything look like anything?

This loving game universe makes no sense. It's WW2 in space but it doesn't respect one of the basic parts of WW2 which is that the weight from turrets makes your fighters crap, that's why there was only one fighter (IIRC) that was deployed by the Allies with a turret (Bolton Paul Defiant) and it was total crap.

It's entirely because of the Hornet. Their early line-up had zero turreted fighters and the Hornet's turret was remote. But it had more guns so they could charge 180 fuckin' dollars for it, and everyone (at the time) bought one because it was clearly the combat fighter. Someone in their ship design department twigged to the fact that turrets = more guns = sells better, and they've never looked back. What's astonishing is that 7 years later the turrets still don't work, and the fans aren't even angry about it.

In fact it's really interesting to look back at the kickstarter lineup because it's like excavating the designs of a different game entirely. Aurora, 300i, Freelancer, Hornet, Constellation, Cutlass- only one is even remotely military and the rest are designed to be kind of "Lifestyle choices" with guns because it's Freelancer the MMO. The biggest ship in the loving game was supposed to be a 3-man hauler! It's amazing how hard they pivoted towards giant-sized industrial numbers and twenty-man cruisers and "Dropships" despite the Constellation being basically the biggest actually flyable vessel to this very day. It's so clear that the ship designs are purely about chasing dollars and otherwise totally detached from the realities of their engine.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

UnknownTarget posted:

It's me, the turrets on every fighter that are as big as a house.

If a turret is on a super performing fighter, then that means there's no performance penalty for turrets?
If there's no performance penalty then why doesn't literally everything just only have turrets?
If everything is turrets then why even have a ship look like a plane?
If things that don't look like planes and perform just as well in atmo (Herald) then why make anything look like anything?

This loving game universe makes no sense. It's WW2 in space but it doesn't respect one of the basic parts of WW2 which is that the weight from turrets makes your fighters crap, that's why there was only one fighter (IIRC) that was deployed by the Allies with a turret (Bolton Paul Defiant) and it was total crap.

Because they are copying old space shooter design which is just Starwars WW2 in space but managing to screw it up anyway even after getting it right 30 years ago. The first ships they had back at the kickstarter were fine but the longer it goes the more any cohesive vision disappears.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

and starships the size of a whole map in another game of this "scam".*

* not actually flyable.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

It's entirely because of the Hornet. Their early line-up had zero turreted fighters and the Hornet's turret was remote. But it had more guns so they could charge 180 fuckin' dollars for it, and everyone (at the time) bought one because it was clearly the combat fighter. Someone in their ship design department twigged to the fact that turrets = more guns = sells better, and they've never looked back. What's astonishing is that 7 years later the turrets still don't work, and the fans aren't even angry about it.

In fact it's really interesting to look back at the kickstarter lineup because it's like excavating the designs of a different game entirely. Aurora, 300i, Freelancer, Hornet, Constellation, Cutlass- only one is even remotely military and the rest are designed to be kind of "Lifestyle choices" with guns because it's Freelancer the MMO. The biggest ship in the loving game was supposed to be a 3-man hauler! It's amazing how hard they pivoted towards giant-sized industrial numbers and twenty-man cruisers and "Dropships" despite the Constellation being basically the biggest actually flyable vessel to this very day. It's so clear that the ship designs are purely about chasing dollars and otherwise totally detached from the realities of their engine.

You can basically see the reason for that change in that "Gatsby" trailer above.

Somewhere along the line they stopped selling spaceships for a spaceship flying/fighting game and started selling an imaginary lifestyle. One where you're fabulously wealthy and respected and special, where people are just falling over themselves for a chance to ride in your space yacht and gush about how cool and rich and awesome you are.

And that doesn't happen in some dinky 3-man ship. It happens in a giant space yacht, or a giant military ship where all the peons will gather and let you bark orders at them.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

colonelwest posted:

To be fair, Rome was sacked by the Visigoths a century after Constantine the Great established the Eastern capital in Byzantium. By that time the Empire was split in half with two emperors, and Rome wasn’t even the capital of the Western half anymore, that had been moved to Ravenna.

If they were interested in creating an interesting setup based off actual Roman history, then management issues caused by the UEE being too big could be an enormous destabilizing factor and Terra could be being set up as a secondary capital for administration reasons. But since they are lazy they are running an 'election' where somehow moving the capital is a winning campaign issue.

Looking forward to the Vanduul leader being named Visigoth.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I'm looking forward to the mission givers Asterix and Obelix.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

This is so pathetically sad I have a hard time processing it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Pretty sure they just Archered the color scheme from an armor set from one of the Mass Effect games.

It's your basic Decepticon color scheme.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

trucutru posted:

It's your basic Decepticon color scheme.

Wait, are you telling me Space Kitty is a Decepticon? :vince:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
So, I bought the DCS Hornet pack earlier this week since its on sale and I'm back with another trip report.

I've always wanted to get into DCS but never bothered due to the entry requirements. But with VR, everything is mostly simplified. I use a really old T-Flight Hotas X, which is still really good btw.

Day1: Mainly trying not gently caress up starting up.
Day2: Same as Day1
Day3: Cold start, into taxi and takeoff.
Day4: Learning the Radar systems.

I can see that Star Citizen tries really hard to follow what DCS has, or to promise what DCS is capable of now. And many many others have bought into the empty promises that Chris Roberts is trying to sell. Like DCS has this insane attention to detail, for their full fidelity airframes (planes that have fully pressable buttons in cockpit) and Star Citizen tries to Archer that to no end. I haven't even flown with my friends yet since we are all still learning the basics and trying to get our planes off the runway in one piece. Combat missions feel ever so far away.

Star Citizen and its fidelitous ships will surely pave the way for next gen DCS in space. Just you wait.

Buy an F8.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I can't get over the fact that in the the SC universe a loving car has a remote controlled turret, but combat spaceships has maned ones.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Just.. Don't make it EARTH? MAKE NEO TERRA

Like in Battlestar Galactica or some poo poo

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Sarsapariller posted:

What's astonishing is that 7 years later the turrets still don't work, and the fans aren't even angry about it.

Early days!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mr Fronts posted:

Early days!

Previous iterations of turret gameplay were hand built, turret pipelines are not yet operational.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

no_recall posted:

So, I bought the DCS Hornet pack earlier this week since its on sale and I'm back with another trip report.

I've always wanted to get into DCS but never bothered due to the entry requirements. But with VR, everything is mostly simplified. I use a really old T-Flight Hotas X, which is still really good btw.

Day1: Mainly trying not gently caress up starting up.
Day2: Same as Day1
Day3: Cold start, into taxi and takeoff.
Day4: Learning the Radar systems.

I can see that Star Citizen tries really hard to follow what DCS has, or to promise what DCS is capable of now. And many many others have bought into the empty promises that Chris Roberts is trying to sell. Like DCS has this insane attention to detail, for their full fidelity airframes (planes that have fully pressable buttons in cockpit) and Star Citizen tries to Archer that to no end. I haven't even flown with my friends yet since we are all still learning the basics and trying to get our planes off the runway in one piece. Combat missions feel ever so far away.

Star Citizen and its fidelitous ships will surely pave the way for next gen DCS in space. Just you wait.

Buy an F8.

I randomly skimmed the DCS thread and noticed they model the way cockpit anti glare coating degrades over time, which is such a Roberts thing to care about

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I randomly skimmed the DCS thread and noticed they model the way cockpit anti glare coating degrades over time, which is such a Roberts thing to care about

Except it’s in a game that actually works lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MarcusSA posted:

Except it’s in a game that actually works lol

Exactly

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So wait,Earth and Terra aren't the same planet in Star Citizen?

Earth:
Gravity: 1G
Atmospheric Pressure: 1 Earth
Sidereal Rotation: 23.9345 SEH
Equatorial Radius: 6,378 km (Real)
637.8 km (Ingame Scale)
Axial Tilt: 23.439°
Density: 5.51 g/cm³
Tidally Locked: No
Orbital Period: 365.256 SED
Orbital Speed: 29.78 km/s
Orbital Radius: 1 AU (Real)
0.1 AU (Ingame Scale)
Orbital Eccentricity: 0.016
Aphelion: 1.0170 AU (Real)
0.10170 AU (Ingame Scale)
Perihelion: 0.9832 AU (Real)
0.09832 AU (Ingame Scale)

Terra: Terra III
System: Terra
Type: Planet
Classification: Super-Earth
Habitable: Yes
Affiliation: UEE
Senator: Mira Ngo, Kelos Albervar
Natural Satellites: 1
Artificial Satellites: 3
Landing Zones: 3

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

sebmojo posted:

roberts has no idea what anti-glare coating is or how it functions. His real world experience outside of movies or yacht-aesthetics is extremely limited.

See how every star citizen ship has horrible useless cockpit design and cockpit glass

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Not even considering the question of why futuristic humanity would somehow go back to an "empire" as a system of government, why would you have voting at all? It's an empire. As far as I know, the only empire that voted for its emperor was the Holy Roman Empire, and it was closer to the system of confirming the Pope in that only the princes and prince-bishops could vote.

I know it's a staple of space opera / fantasy to have a throwback to feudal times a la Star Wars, Dune, etc, but with SC's insistence on "realism" it comes off as even more dumb. CIG would have been better off researching the Orion's Arm universe, which has detailed, interesting, and believable ideas about how future societies might develop in their politics, economies, and cultures.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Scruffpuff posted:

Wow, that's some inaccurate poo poo right there. UAC doesn't give two shits about non-OS drives, it only gives a pop-up for elevated admin privileges for protected folder ON the OS drive.

CIG ladies and gentlemen.

Banking on the ongoing situation where big backers haven't played a PC game since 1996. Because I literally cannot recall a single other game that had issues with scanning the drives for file integrity, that's such an absurd excuse as to why they can't figure out how to make a goddamn launcher work.
We can also recall how long it took them to get a delta patcher in place.

Or the still ongoing for 6+ years that you have to manually delete your USER folder instead of the launcher doing it. It's sad and comical simultaneously.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You can basically see the reason for that change in that "Gatsby" trailer above.

Somewhere along the line they stopped selling spaceships for a spaceship flying/fighting game and started selling an imaginary lifestyle. One where you're fabulously wealthy and respected and special, where people are just falling over themselves for a chance to ride in your space yacht and gush about how cool and rich and awesome you are.

And that doesn't happen in some dinky 3-man ship. It happens in a giant space yacht, or a giant military ship where all the peons will gather and let you bark orders at them.

It started happening years ago, presumably right around the time their stream of new customers ran dry. That's entirely speculation on my part but the switch to insanely huge expensive toys for the "space rich" is like a giant neon sign saying "We're not worried about new customers, we want to capture repeat sales." It's also the exact thing every video on f2p economics in games warns against doing because it drives away any potential small customers, which your whales need to make the game fun. Except in this case there is no game so the entire death spiral of a heavily monetized game where you can buy power seems to have temporarily been avoided. Since all your whale customers want to do is look at their pretty spaceship and walk around and make pretend cups of coffee and stand on the bridge like Mal Reynolds, the whole thing has an unnatural life granted to it.

It took 2 years and 6 months to go from 1 million to 2 million user accounts on the RSI website. It has taken 2 years and 1 month to add another ~600,000 web accounts.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
So I haven't really followed the drama around this in years. But I remember originally it seemed like Roberts just did not give a poo poo about the game, and was spending tons of money on shooting videos specifically with Mark Hamil. Did anything ever even come of the stuff he filmed? Is he still blowing money filming?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The Mocap never ends.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cripes, how did I miss the Gatsby vid?

I was hoping for a t-pose in the pool at the end.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

syzpid posted:

So I haven't really followed the drama around this in years. But I remember originally it seemed like Roberts just did not give a poo poo about the game, and was spending tons of money on shooting videos specifically with Mark Hamil. Did anything ever even come of the stuff he filmed? Is he still blowing money filming?

Apparently they did a ton of reshoots and eventually what we got out of it like 2 years ago was this monstrosity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Q-QFvFHxg

More recently they put out this to show off their star-studded cast and the heavy, super serious tones of their 400,000 page long script, and it's almost breathtaking in how bad it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMSGlZSL0DE

The actual game is nowhere to be seen, and the video discussing the most recent updates to it has been delayed lmao

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dynastocles posted:

researching

hahahaha

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Dynastocles posted:

Not even considering the question of why futuristic humanity would somehow go back to an "empire" as a system of government, why would you have voting at all? It's an empire. As far as I know, the only empire that voted for its emperor was the Holy Roman Empire, and it was closer to the system of confirming the Pope in that only the princes and prince-bishops could vote.

I know it's a staple of space opera / fantasy to have a throwback to feudal times a la Star Wars, Dune, etc, but with SC's insistence on "realism" it comes off as even more dumb. CIG would have been better off researching the Orion's Arm universe, which has detailed, interesting, and believable ideas about how future societies might develop in their politics, economies, and cultures.
I think it's solely because CR wants to paint his militarized fascist-like dictatorship as 'good guys'

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dwesa posted:

I think it's solely because CR wants to paint his militarized fascist-like dictatorship as 'good guys'

the roman empire did nothing wrong!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Todays taxxe was brought to you by Chris's physics refactor

'Never cross the artificial gravity wells!'

reddit posted:

That has been happening soooo much with 3.9.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder what the Colosseum would look like in modern times if Emperor Roberts had a hand in its design.