Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I was mostly just referring to hearing all the old melodies in a "modern" game. Listening to Tifa's theme when you first go to Seventh Heaven really threw me for a loop. It's been a long time since I've touched anything related to FF.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
In that vein, the dance remix of the Wall Market theme used on the collapsed expressway absolutely "slaps," as the kids say.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Somehow that reminded me: If they dont absolutely overhaul everything to do with the Junon march sequence, the next game is irrevocably bad.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Keep the slap fight on the big gun, though.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Have a whole subplot about Scarlet injecting a bunch of mako so she doesn't just die from one single nuclear slap from Tifa

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hope they extend the march sequence

Give me mini games for ironing my uniform, polishing my boots. Add a QWOP style control system for marching

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TheLoser posted:

Heck no.

Unless it's some new minigame where you see how far you can launch Scarlet with a single retaliation slap.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The march minigame will be like the pull-ups minigame, squared. You'll have to do different button pressing patterns for each leg, simultaneously. And you only get one chance.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TheLoser posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Better solution:

Reveal that Scarlet was one of Zangan's hundreds of other students but she used her kung-fu power for evil and self-gain and Tifa has a dramatic fight against the other strongest student of her Master atop the Junon Cannon.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wonder if they’ll keep the part where, if you fail at the matching mini game, the television commentators mock you incessantly and then say they are going to send you a bomb. Then you get a grenade.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I would be down for a short scene where Scarlet's muscles bulge and rip through her outfit to reveal a karate gi underneath as boss music starts playing. Her hair just goes straight up into the air, like adult Gon from Hunter x Hunter.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Conversely, I would also accept a subversion of the scene wherein Scarlet slaps Tifa and then Tifa does Dolphin Flurry on Scarlet, who is then hospitalized

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Agents are GO! posted:

No actually President Shinra was there, playing out some weird royalty/prophecy fetish.

I do miss that, because it hinted at Sephiroth and Jenova and the Promised Land while playing the creepy music. A good "something's not right here" moment that made you wonder about larger implications for the future.

Also, there apparently was a scene cut from the original game that featured Palmer at the Honey Bee: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Honey_Bee_Inn_(Final_Fantasy_VII) (under dummied content)

https://youtu.be/058JQUM3t6s?t=221

Arkage fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 21, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Better solution:

Reveal that Scarlet was one of Zangan's hundreds of other students but she used her kung-fu power for evil and self-gain and Tifa has a dramatic fight against the other strongest student of her Master atop the Junon Cannon.

Also, it turns out that Scarlet is Tifa's mom.

Scarlet: "Zangan never told you what happened to your mother. Tifa, I am your mother."
Tifa: "No, that's not true! That's impossible!"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, it turns out that Scarlet is Tifa's mom.

Scarlet: "Zangan never told you what happened to your mother. Tifa, I am your mother."
Tifa: "No, that's not true! That's impossible!"

"My mom's dead."

"No, no. I was dead tired of life in Nibelheim."

Arkage posted:

I do miss that, because it hinted at Sephiroth and Jenova and the Promised Land while playing the creepy music. A good "something's not right here" moment that made you wonder about larger implications for the future.

Also, there apparently was a scene cut from the original game that featured Palmer at the Honey Bee: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Honey_Bee_Inn_(Final_Fantasy_VII) (under dummied content)

https://youtu.be/058JQUM3t6s?t=221

Does that music appear in the actual game? Because ai dig it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I want to get the remake soundtrack but the only versions I can find are the limited edition, vinyl, limitied edition vinyl, or whatever and they're all really expensive. is there a digital version of the full OST that's like 20 or 30 bucks, or are they only selling it for armfuls of cash

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Invictus posted:

I want to get the remake soundtrack but the only versions I can find are the limited edition, vinyl, limitied edition vinyl, or whatever and they're all really expensive. is there a digital version of the full OST that's like 20 or 30 bucks, or are they only selling it for armfuls of cash

I don't think it's released yet (May 27th comes to mind?) so they probably are just shilling the expensive versions for now.

I too want the OST so if you find anything, let me know.

All the collectible songs but of a non-jukebox quality sounds good as gently caress, in addition to the actual soundtrack of the game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Ruby and Emerald Weapon go down a lot faster when you aren't a dumb 12 year old who doesn't know how to break the game's difficulty

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

I don't think it's released yet (May 27th comes to mind?) so they probably are just shilling the expensive versions for now.

I too want the OST so if you find anything, let me know.

All the collectible songs but of a non-jukebox quality sounds good as gently caress, in addition to the actual soundtrack of the game.

I've just kinda been having this on loop in the background while I've been cleaning, it's great cleaning music :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqNUgUzN14

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Finished the game last night, loved every bit of it and I cannot wait for Final Fantasy 7 Remake II: REmix: Yuffie's Bizarre Adventure to come out in like 3 years. Also can't wait for the soundtrack to finally ship as well.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Does that music appear in the actual game? Because ai dig it.

Sadly, It does not

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm already excited thinking about how the other characters will be reconceived in the next one. I also wonder if the characters we learned to play in this game will play exactly the same or if they'll change em again somehow.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm already excited thinking about how the other characters will be reconceived in the next one. I also wonder if the characters we learned to play in this game will play exactly the same or if they'll change em again somehow.

Vincent's definitely going to still have his transformation limit breaks, having the executioner of all life and harbinger of death hidden away inside an immortal body is pretty much his thing.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Gimmie those Frankenstein and Jason transformations with this games combat engine please.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tim Roger's 3 hour video review is coming out Monday.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

Conversely, I would also accept a subversion of the scene wherein Scarlet slaps Tifa and then Tifa does Dolphin Flurry on Scarlet, who is then hospitalized

Scarlet slaps Tifa in the face, Tifa doesn't flinch, move a muscle or even blink. Scarlet looks down and recoils in horror at her broken hand

Dell_Zincht posted:

Vincent's definitely going to still have his transformation limit breaks, having the executioner of all life and harbinger of death hidden away inside an immortal body is pretty much his thing.

Yes to the goofy transformations, no to any references to Dirge

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Captain Invictus posted:

I've just kinda been having this on loop in the background while I've been cleaning, it's great cleaning music :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqNUgUzN14

Lol I hated the monkeybars. Talk about a PS1 mechanic.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
double post

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The monkeybars are just an excuse to listen to a total banger for 5 minutes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And to miss a final weapon

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

To no one's real surprise, it seems like there are good-looking HD versions of the textures that always look crappy in the game, and it's almost certainly a problem with texture streaming in Unreal.

https://twitter.com/necroalx/status/1260200250326859777?s=20

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Scarlet/Tifa fight just becomes a Yakuza boss fight, where Scarlet rips off the dress to reveal a backless leotard and heretofore hidden bahamut tattoo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Invictus posted:

And to miss a final weapon

Honest to god, on my second playthrough even when I knew that weapon was there, I still loving forgot about it and missed it, and I had to play through a third time. On the other hand, owning SOLDIERs in the Shinra parking garage is pretty fun and a decent way to grind out the other weapon skills I was missing for Cloud and Barret, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Kinda wish I didn't have to look at the Twin Stinger for an entire Hard playthrough but each of those extra materia slots are worth a firstborn child and I mean, I'm sure you can do Hard with a Buster Sword but it would require a level of micro-management and dedication that I just don't have in me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sapozhnik posted:

Kinda wish I didn't have to look at the Twin Stinger for an entire Hard playthrough but each of those extra materia slots are worth a firstborn child and I mean, I'm sure you can do Hard with a Buster Sword but it would require a level of micro-management and dedication that I just don't have in me.

Every weapon ends up with six materia slots once you unlock weapon lv 6.

Edit: I’m laughing because I’ve exclusively used the Buster Sword on hard because of how incredibly well-rounded it is.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Even before I started my Hard Mode playthough, I got the team up to Level 50, then discovered weapon level 6 by getting the manuscripts from the Shinra Combat Simulator in Chapter 17. The moment I saw those extra materia slots in Level 6 for all weapons, I immediately reset my SP via Chadley then maxed out materia slots.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Every weapon ends up with six materia slots once you unlock weapon lv 6.

Edit: I’m laughing because I’ve exclusively used the Buster Sword on hard because of how incredibly well-rounded it is.

:same:

Buster Sword all day everyday

OG weapons crew

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I found that it wasn't hugely helpful to have the final materia upgrade on a weapon (linking the fifth and sixth slots), but getting to six slots on every weapon was a godsend and completely changed my approach to weapon use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, the final materia slot linking will probably be the last upgrade I get, because there just aren't that many valuable linked materia combinations in this game. I used Iron sword a lot because it has a pretty good offensive stat mix, Reprieve, and magic is good for Blade Beam, Cloud's best free crowd-control option.

The only weapon I found to truly suck is the Nail Bat, sadly.