Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks bruv I’ll check there

I’ve got the cheapo licensed floyd rose made in Korea or something which uses inferior metal I believe so wear and tear happens quicker I suppose 😭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

so i guess im writing a plugin to do what i want with respect to scales lmao

i had to install xcode :mad:

writing a plugin with xcode sounds extreme, have you tried playing around with a pure data patch before? that's infinitely easier to get a proof of concept with and you can always wrap it in a plugin using camomile later

it may be a headache due to the visual programming paradigm but for testing quick MIDI mangling ideas i always use pure data

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

AtomD posted:

years back someone posted this vid in the pos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJBko3-oV4

always thought that might make a nice sample
https://soundcloud.com/atomd/lights-are-on

this sounds good, to me.nice work

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbFgWrDk9E
ok so, after watching this i think im taken midiq off the list. It looks like a baby's toy - using shapes instead of telling me like the actual music theory? scaler seems to offer the same and better functionality with a better interface if you care about learning what you're actually doing and wanna self analyze

speaking of baby toys for music, you ever played with this thing before? i had fun with it, but i never made any music with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-S5kNLv3xU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Penisface posted:

writing a plugin with xcode sounds extreme
With JUCE it's almost like SynthEdit, you can just snap premade filters together and it has a GUI editor

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i thought of another music toy that no one mentioned yet https://hookpad.hooktheory.com/

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hey here's a dumb question that is so dumb and obvious i feel like im missing something

I want to arpeggiate with my keyboard and manipulate the arp pattern live. FL studio lets you do this to a degree, but I want the added ability to pick which notes to play. For example:

If I am holding down the tonic, I want to arpeggiate a major triad from that tonic, then maybe, i want to move up to a maj7 arp staying on the tonic, but only use the 1st, 3rd and 7th and omit the 5th from the pattern in order to keep it a 3 note pattern. FL studio doesn't allow me this level of customability in their channel arp - you can switch the chord you are arpeggiating but not how many notes in it.

Is there a plugin out there that does this? I found this thing called blue arp and it got almost close, but I can't switch the pattern using a midi controller and that's a non-starter for what I'm looking for.

e: ugh, im an idiot and just figured it out. Rather than holding down 1 key and telling it to arp off of that, I can hold down any amount of keys to make my own chord and it will arp those. Cool.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 22, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

Is there a grey forums thread about guitars? I can’t find it.

One problem I’m having with my floyd rose is that if I pull it flat and then tune for example everything Is fine and I can pull flat over and over and still fine but if I pull sharp it resets back to maybe 15 cents sharp give or take for each string, and stays that way until I pull flat wrk then that’s fine

Or I can tune after pulling sharp and stays fine until pulls flat.

I’m sure you can see what I’m getting at. I don’t really expect anyone here to know the exact problem tho or how to fix it. Could be that the knife edge or the bolt that goes into the body is worn 🤷‍♂️ I would post this in a more specific thread but I couldn’t find a guitar one which surprises me

oddly I'm having the exact same issue on my EBMM, except it's just a floating trem and not a floyd rose

I'm wondering if maybe the nut is hosed in my case

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving nuts

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

nutting fucks

took a look at the grey forums guitar thread and saw someone suggested it might be the knife edges, which would suck if it is for me since that's built into the baseplate of the trem and of course music man isn't just gonna sell me a replacement tremolo

wonder if some graphite lube would fix it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm using JUCE and it's really easy. I haven't used the GUI editor yet, but the plugin is just a couple labels and a couple combo boxes.

now you select a tonic and a scale type and it maps that scale to the white keys. trying to come up with what to do with the black keys. I'm thinking either semi-arbitrarily choose some chords in the scale or just have black keys play the white key to the left up/down an octave or two.

ms Jones is encouraging me to try to charge people for it but then I have to deal with making it look decent and serials and stuff like that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah and Live wont let me insert it as a midi effect, so i have to insert it as an instrument and then have another track (with the actual instrument) listen to the plugin's midi. that really annoys me, but apparently Live just doesn't understand the 'midi effect' VST3 setting for some reason. it annoys me bc it makes the plugin seem really jank

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

nutting fucks

took a look at the grey forums guitar thread and saw someone suggested it might be the knife edges, which would suck if it is for me since that's built into the baseplate of the trem and of course music man isn't just gonna sell me a replacement tremolo

wonder if some graphite lube would fix it

have you thought about just blocking the trem, and forgetting about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oiNMtI37AI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have but then I watched a video on doing dimebag Darrell style divebonbs and drat poo poo owns

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

I have but then I watched a video on doing dimebag Darrell style divebonbs and drat poo poo owns

just take it to some guy in the music shop who will fix it for a couple bukcs?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

With JUCE it's almost like SynthEdit, you can just snap premade filters together and it has a GUI editor

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm using JUCE and it's really easy. I haven't used the GUI editor yet, but the plugin is just a couple labels and a couple combo boxes.

now you select a tonic and a scale type and it maps that scale to the white keys. trying to come up with what to do with the black keys. I'm thinking either semi-arbitrarily choose some chords in the scale or just have black keys play the white key to the left up/down an octave or two.

ms Jones is encouraging me to try to charge people for it but then I have to deal with making it look decent and serials and stuff like that

well feel free to img timeline me because the last time i touched JUCE, you had to write c++ and while it was not super obscure or difficult, i could see myself spending too much time to get some experiment running

Achmed Jones posted:

oh yeah and Live wont let me insert it as a midi effect, so i have to insert it as an instrument and then have another track (with the actual instrument) listen to the plugin's midi. that really annoys me, but apparently Live just doesn't understand the 'midi effect' VST3 setting for some reason. it annoys me bc it makes the plugin seem really jank

this is actually my biggest gripe since i got into messing around with midi in Live and a big reason why i have not got more into JUCE.

live's answer seems to be max 4 live and while it can be good, i am at this moment incredibbbly angry that my midi project which is using only 1 lfo and some cc8 devices is making my gpu fan take off. gpu fan! what the gently caress!
:negative:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I am writing c++. it's just p trivial c++: "make a map, look up notes in map, swap midi notes, done"

can you just write code in max? I have no desire to mess with visual programming stuff if i dont absolutely have to. if that's the only way to do a midi effect I might have to though D:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

afaik max is pure visual programming. there was some insane guy implementing lisp or something in it though https://cycling74.com/forums/lisp-and-max

i got a feeling that there are other apis as well for other languages

visual programming sucks because i am also used to traditional programming style, but i have worked up some skill with pure data so i kind of understand why it's done that way

probably something to do with functional programming too, because in audio you care that your signals get from point a to b as quickly as possible idk

i am still salty because my all midi project is hogging 20% cpu and i am pretty sure it's because max 4 live

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

sure thing
https://soundcloud.com/macro_bulk/pg-8-x86-a-02-losslesswave
i left this with the extra long tail, figured having extra minutes could be helpful. if not you can just cut it, but it leaves the option to you. I think i did it right, you should be able to download the wav from that soundcloud link

sweet thanks, I'll play around this weekend...it's going to be rainy so it's a good day to do some recording

on the gear front, just ordered a new sax to try out, but it won't be here until Tuesday. it's the "jazz" model compared to the "classical" model I play now. jazz is in like fifteenth place on my list of specialities but those names are basically just marketing terms based on how bright the sound is and how quick the response is and I want to see what a super bright responsive horn is like

btw if anybody's interested in any "asynchronous live" performances, our Indian fusion group just cut three videos:

Original based on a tabla composition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOwqcjSxSM
Original tune with a Hindustani flavor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsHRbxdiodM
South Indian tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz26qxg3Cpw

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Penisface posted:

well feel free to img timeline me because the last time i touched JUCE, you had to write c++ and while it was not super obscure or difficult, i could see myself spending too much time to get some experiment running

You aren't alone. I'm fine with c++ but JUICE kinda drives me crazy, I wish I could just get over it and learn to love the JUICE but my brain-mind wont let me.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

sweet thanks, I'll play around this weekend...it's going to be rainy so it's a good day to do some recording

on the gear front, just ordered a new sax to try out, but it won't be here until Tuesday. it's the "jazz" model compared to the "classical" model I play now. jazz is in like fifteenth place on my list of specialities but those names are basically just marketing terms based on how bright the sound is and how quick the response is and I want to see what a super bright responsive horn is like

btw if anybody's interested in any "asynchronous live" performances, our Indian fusion group just cut three videos:

Original based on a tabla composition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOwqcjSxSM
Original tune with a Hindustani flavor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsHRbxdiodM
South Indian tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz26qxg3Cpw

that's really good! did you play it live over zoom or how did you keep in sync with each other?

Zaxxon posted:

You aren't alone. I'm fine with c++ but JUICE kinda drives me crazy, I wish I could just get over it and learn to love the JUICE but my brain-mind wont let me.

i could get into JUCE, but i ran out of reasons why. i decided not to spend my free time programming music tools but instead just work on music using my existing gear and all that

unrelated bonus link to a kosmische ambient track that i finished today https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/fri-22-may

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Penisface posted:

i could get into JUCE, but i ran out of reasons why. i decided not to spend my free time programming music tools but instead just work on music using my existing gear and all that

no doubt. I still have the problem that I like to make music tools, I just have to do it the hard way for some stupid reason.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
hi thread i cant really make music but i ordered a behringer sf300 to try to imitate electric wizard in my bedroom so that's gotta count for something, right? tho i dont even have a guitar in the proper tuning so time to buy more stuff probably

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Zaxxon posted:

no doubt. I still have the problem that I like to make music tools, I just have to do it the hard way for some stupid reason.

hope you find this motivating :)

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Penisface posted:

that's really good! did you play it live over zoom or how did you keep in sync with each other?

thanks penisface! we all recorded audio individually and mixed it like normal, then set up a Zoom meeting and mimed ourselves playing along to the mixed track; this is the recording of that Zoom meeting

Penisface posted:

unrelated bonus link to a kosmische ambient track that i finished today https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/fri-22-may

this is also great and helpful for relaxing at the end of a long week

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Penisface posted:

Yeah, I get it but it's not so much that I think JUICE is "cheating" it's just I have more trouble using it than not using it. Just the way it wants you to do everything messes with me and I find I spend more time thinking about how JUCE wants to do things than what I'm trying to accomplish.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Penisface posted:

same, except I learned my lesson on making a 3d fps and game engine

Youth, hubris and ego

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

visual programming sucks

except that I managed to make this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0kEBMqfYg entirely with visual programming and if i had to typer anything I would have gaven up

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Zaxxon posted:

Yeah, I get it but it's not so much that I think JUICE is "cheating" it's just I have more trouble using it than not using it. Just the way it wants you to do everything messes with me and I find I spend more time thinking about how JUCE wants to do things than what I'm trying to accomplish.

i spent like a year implementing and building my own control surface before i realized that i would not trust my coding skills enough to think of the result as anything i would actually rely on, and got an ableton push

i think this kind of confidence will come in time, you just have to keep experimenting and learning and testing and after a while you will be the master, like that insane british dude on youtube who builds modular synthesizers out of gaming consoles or something

echinopsis posted:

except that I managed to make this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0kEBMqfYg entirely with visual programming and if i had to typer anything I would have gaven up

nice, looks like some convoluted tutorial-simulator for "how sperm find egg"

i wish i stuck to working with blender enough to learn these things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

nice, looks like some convoluted tutorial-simulator for "how sperm find egg"

i wish i stuck to working with blender enough to learn these things

lol

but it’s all unreal engine 4, the models I built in blender were simple, the materials I could implwment in UE4 were what impressed me so much. it made it quite simple to make effects that really impressed me, hell they still do. I look at that video I made like 5 years ago and wonder why the hell I gave up on it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

lol

but it’s all unreal engine 4, the models I built in blender were simple, the materials I could implwment in UE4 were what impressed me so much. it made it quite simple to make effects that really impressed me, hell they still do. I look at that video I made like 5 years ago and wonder why the hell I gave up on it

yeah it looks cool, you should keep building stuff like that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

current plugin status: it's ready to release but I don't have any way to do windows builds. I ripped out X from my linux server a while ago and now I can't get it working with nomachine, and my laptop doesn't have the hard drive space to spare to install windows and visual studio. do any of y'all have any ideas on that?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I had a music theory epiphany this weekend that helped things click. i also found a trick to using the gently caress out of this basicmusictheory site that seemed to have too much info but once you scroll throug it you start to get a feel of what they are presenting. Basically the lil trick i learned about their site is that they will give you all the chord spellings and fingerings all together on one page for a given scale, all you gotta do is find it and then scroll through and save the files.

https://www.basicmusictheory.com/a-flat-major-7th-chords#st3

That then let me easily snag the keyboard fingers and stuff, so i combined them into a big collage in gimp, then opened that in a window on the computer and had it up while i practiced each chord, trying to memorize them, and practicing the scale. Just fuckin around with the music theory in practice while watching some TV or whatever. Having all the info in front of me visually at one time i think helped enable it to all click in a specific way: i dont need to memorize the loving chords. just the scale. stop memorizing 8 different chords. I knew there was a pattern underneath, but its hard to quickly see, given any key on the keyboard, what is the note that is 2 whole steps above it. What i found is that there are landmarks along that way that help you develop your music theory mind palance or whatever. My palacio de la mente

If you just memorize the scale, and get it into muscle memory, and basically put a block on touching any key that isnt in the scale - then making the chords you want on the fly is so easy cuz u just follow the formula of 1-3-5. you dont have to keep track of is it 3 half steps or 4 - you just skip over the notes in the scales and land on the ones you want. This makes making diminished and 7th chords way easier. Way more intuitive.

Then it popped for me - I could have been doing this same poo poo to map out the guitar fretboard in a more intuitive way than memorizing the individual 8 chords and variations themselves. Just apply barr chords in the major/minor and that one diminished variations to the 8 notes of the scale along the E string on the fretboard, and then get that in your muscle memory, and then you should have an intuitive map that you could quickly work with and react with while improvising on the fretboard.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

tryin to do a "couple riffs a week" thing to keep me moving along. not a riff a day - that would probably be unrealistic. but i could probably pop out a few a week at least.
https://soundcloud.com/macro_bulk/couple_riffs_a_week_001

kinda screwed up a couple times but gently caress it, gotta ship

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

I had a music theory epiphany this weekend that helped things click. i also found a trick to using the gently caress out of this basicmusictheory site that seemed to have too much info but once you scroll throug it you start to get a feel of what they are presenting. Basically the lil trick i learned about their site is that they will give you all the chord spellings and fingerings all together on one page for a given scale, all you gotta do is find it and then scroll through and save the files.

https://www.basicmusictheory.com/a-flat-major-7th-chords#st3

That then let me easily snag the keyboard fingers and stuff, so i combined them into a big collage in gimp, then opened that in a window on the computer and had it up while i practiced each chord, trying to memorize them, and practicing the scale. Just fuckin around with the music theory in practice while watching some TV or whatever. Having all the info in front of me visually at one time i think helped enable it to all click in a specific way: i dont need to memorize the loving chords. just the scale. stop memorizing 8 different chords. I knew there was a pattern underneath, but its hard to quickly see, given any key on the keyboard, what is the note that is 2 whole steps above it. What i found is that there are landmarks along that way that help you develop your music theory mind palance or whatever. My palacio de la mente

If you just memorize the scale, and get it into muscle memory, and basically put a block on touching any key that isnt in the scale - then making the chords you want on the fly is so easy cuz u just follow the formula of 1-3-5. you dont have to keep track of is it 3 half steps or 4 - you just skip over the notes in the scales and land on the ones you want. This makes making diminished and 7th chords way easier. Way more intuitive.

Then it popped for me - I could have been doing this same poo poo to map out the guitar fretboard in a more intuitive way than memorizing the individual 8 chords and variations themselves. Just apply barr chords in the major/minor and that one diminished variations to the 8 notes of the scale along the E string on the fretboard, and then get that in your muscle memory, and then you should have an intuitive map that you could quickly work with and react with while improvising on the fretboard.

i think what you have managed to grasp here is called the Harmonized Major Scale. internalizing this is a crucial step IMO

not just knowing about the harmonized major scale, but also finding a way to practice it on the instrument, like you have here with your chord charts

if you're interested, we recently had a chat about it in the gray forums guitarist thread, starting with this poster's epiphany about this concept (similar to yours here) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3341553&pagenumber=1039&perpage=40#post504984857

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i think what you have managed to grasp here is called the Harmonized Major Scale. internalizing this is a crucial step IMO

not just knowing about the harmonized major scale, but also finding a way to practice it on the instrument, like you have here with your chord charts

if you're interested, we recently had a chat about it in the gray forums guitarist thread, starting with this poster's epiphany about this concept (similar to yours here) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3341553&pagenumber=1039&perpage=40#post504984857
thats was/is precisely what i was doing, and deliberately so. i set out to learn all the chords of the harmonized major of the arbitrary key i picked for myself to get used too. but i was still looking for more optimized ways to internalize the process. probably will forever, but this is a pretty big one on that path.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

tfw you internalize the harmonized major scale for the first time
:coffeepal:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

thats was/is precisely what i was doing, and deliberately so. i set out to learn all the chords of the harmonized major of the arbitrary key i picked for myself to get used too. but i was still looking for more optimized ways to internalize the process. probably will forever, but this is a pretty big one on that path.

oh word, well you are on the right path and i wanted to make sure to tell you

you can totally do the same thing on guitar with barre chords, like you said

when i first learned this on guitar, i started out practicing these chords up the scale. like I - ii - iii - IV etc

but if you reverse that and play IV - iii - ii - I, it's a little more gratifying to play. it's the progression from "green hill zone" theme in sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Xw8YAtGpI&t=90s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the circle of fiths always kind of confused me becuase as you go clockwise - the natural direction you'd think you would go - it seems to be 4ths

aughhhh dammit (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

If you think of it as the circle of dominant progressions it captures a lot more of the actual underlying concepts