Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Finally finished Uncharted 4, right on the heels of the first three, and I loved it. I think it might be my favorite of the series even with the clumsy retconning. The set pieces were excellent, the environments were varied and gorgeous, the gameplay mechanics never felt better, and the story itself was successful in going for a level of emotional and thematic resonance that the previous games never attempted. And it was just a lot of fun! I'm glad I got around to playing this series finally. I intend to play Lost Legacy at some point, though probably not until I can get it really cheap (because as much as I enjoy these games, they don't last too long and I don't get any replay value out of them).

For now, though, it's on to the FF7 Remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I think all the soulsborne/sekiro games offer something unique and I love them all for different reasons.
DeS has level design/atmosphere combo that's unmatched by any other game in the series
DS1 has the best lore and world construction
DS2 has the best hub area music and some of the most fun weapons with powerstancing
BB has the best setting with Victorian/Cosmic horror and trick weapon-based combat
DS3 has the best callbacks to the other games and serves as a fitting sendoff (especially ringed city DLC bosses)
Sekiro's fluid movement, especially addition of vertical movement, is the best. parrying is also satisfying

Fin.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

il serpente cosmico posted:

Life gems are the Dark Souls version of regenerating health. DS2 feels very experimental.

Lifegems are no different than the healing items in Demon's Souls.

Which makes me wonder how easy Demon's Souls would be now that I have played all of the Soulsborne games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

You don't need some expansive backstory about the character beyond what they'd have more than enough time to drop in the show itself.

Like if I was watching the show with someone and was like Oh poo poo that's Ahsoka and the person was like "who is Ashoka," like, she was a cool character from Clone Wars who had a similar attitude to Anakin rolling around the galaxy kicking rear end for the Republic but then slowly realizing that the Republic and also the Jedi were absolute dogshit. But she peaced out instead of murdering kids and becoming Darth Vader.

I mean, "warrior that has some issues with Jedi" isn't exactly a groundbreaking character beat for Star Wars movies.

Yeah, all you need is "Her name's Ahsoka Tano, she was Anakin's Padawan in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV show. The computer animated one, not the other one." You don't have to give her entire 7 seasons of backstory the second someone asks.

Also, it's not like you can't just start watching and figure it out. I'm bad at explaining it but if you're going to be new to things on a first watch anyway, so why's Star Wars somehow so incomprehensible to new people?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

blackguy32 posted:

Which makes me wonder how easy Demon's Souls would be now that I have played all of the Soulsborne games.

I'm going to disagree with you there. The healing items in Demon's Souls work instantly - quickly chomping down one full moon grass after another for 600HP a pop is functionally quite a bit different than the lifegems.

And being able to keep a nearly-bottomless stock of instant healing on hand definitely makes the game easier than later entries. FROM got healing right in the original Dark Souls, imo.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 22, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Vikar Jerome posted:

personally i don't think its a full on remake, i think bluepoint are just doing enhanced remasters of select ps1-3 games (probably in liu of full bc because goddamnit) so gameplay/camera/controls will be intact but you'll have 4k with new textures. maybe for free if you own the original disc or some poo poo or pay a bit extra for the 4kness.

i'll be super surprised if its a full demons souls only remake given how they've been teasing poo poo.

Idk tho, like they’ve confirmed that they’re working on a PS5 launch title, they could’ve been cheeky and said ‘project’ or something, but they posted this too, and the icon near the loading screen (which was probably more of a joke about the hopefully non-existent loading times more than anything) looks nearly identical to the blue lotus item icon from demons souls, but the actual image is apparently a real picture of a blue cabbage:

Plus Jason Schreier replied to a thread on Reset Era that asked ‘will there be a Demon’s Souls remake’ with ‘yes’ right after he got obsessed with Bloodborne last year, but didn’t say anything else, or who was developing it. I don’t think dude is ever really wrong when it comes to video game rumors.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

RatHat posted:

Any tips for a first time Outer Wilds player? I know about the time resetting gimmick, is that pretty much all I need to know?

-Do ALL the tutorials in the starting village. A lot of your equipment has multiple uses, and if you don't know about them you'll run into a lot of frustration down the line.
-Hit the trackpad button to open the map. I know this is odd to mention, but I've watched a couple LPs of this, and it's weirdly common for people to forget the map exists.
-If you get frustrated in one area, just go somewhere else. Every question has an answer somewhere, you just haven't found it yet. Also, you don't need to 100% every area to finish the game.
-The fastest way to travel somewhere in space is to accelerate til you hit the halfway point, then accelerate backwards for the second half of the journey.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Krazyface posted:

-Do ALL the tutorials in the starting village. A lot of your equipment has multiple uses, and if you don't know about them you'll run into a lot of frustration down the line.

Yeah, during the various GotY discussions from video game journalists specifically, there were a few who complained about the game being obtuse that clearly didn’t do the tutorials or checked the log in the ship, and yeah basically everything you get in the game will be given to you or explained during the tutorial.

Krazyface posted:

-The fastest way to travel somewhere in space is to accelerate til you hit the halfway point, then accelerate backwards for the second half of the journey.

I don’t know about this tho lol.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Imhotep posted:

I don’t know about this tho lol.

It’s maximum speed at the cost of maximum propellant consumption.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thats just basic physics

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If you're going to the planet then the planet's atmosphere can slow you down for free though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you're going to the planet then the planet's atmosphere can slow you down for free though.

Aerobraking is hard on the ship and dumps a lot of thermal energy into the atmosphere if there’s a lot of traffic and every visitor does it never mind the orbital congestion. I don’t know if this game cares about any of that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Aerobraking is hard on the ship and dumps a lot of thermal energy into the atmosphere if there’s a lot of traffic and every visitor does it never mind the orbital congestion. I don’t know if this game cares about any of that.
I haven't played the game you're talking about but it sounds like you think that in the far future, people will care more about the environment than they do now.

I think it's going to be exactly like that one episode of STTNG where they discover that warp travel is damaging space. They set up a specific area and say you can't go above warp 5, and then never mention it again. Just like it would have been today.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't played the game you're talking about but it sounds like you think that in the far future, people will care more about the environment than they do now.

I think it's going to be exactly like that one episode of STTNG where they discover that warp travel is damaging space. They set up a specific area and say you can't go above warp 5, and then never mention it again. Just like it would have been today.

lol if you think humanity will get off earth before we die. It’s all fantasy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

lol if you think humanity will get off earth before we die. It’s all fantasy.
If I understand Star Trek history right, the only reason it didn't go that way is because of the one in a million chance Cochrane's warp test attracted the attention of the Vulcans. Without their intervention, humanity may have just declined forever.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, all you need is "Her name's Ahsoka Tano, she was Anakin's Padawan in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV show. The computer animated one, not the other one." You don't have to give her entire 7 seasons of backstory the second someone asks.

Also, it's not like you can't just start watching and figure it out. I'm bad at explaining it but if you're going to be new to things on a first watch anyway, so why's Star Wars somehow so incomprehensible to new people?

I could have an entire discussion about the messy delineation that plagues the EU and makes it so every important thing that happens in the entire galaxy happens to a group of 20 people who all know each other, and I have, but it's more that Star Wars has always been really terrible at throwing in random plot elements from bullshit secondary sources. Grievous just randomly shows up in episode III out of nowhere. Zombie Palpatine is resurrected via Fortnite announcement to become the main antagonist of episode IX. Darth Maul is the secret mastermind of Han Solo's girlfriend's gang or something.

The reason the Mandalorian works as well as it does is you can follow it pretty easily even if you've only ever seen the OT. You start throwing in Anakin's secret apprentice who was apparently just offscreen for movies III-VI and people are gonna start rolling their eyes.

Admittedly a weird criticism in the PS4 thread because almost every Star Wars game is built off the premise that Darth Vader had a dozen secret apprentices and an equal amount of secret Jedi heroes helped hand deliver the Death Star plans, but that doesn't mean I wanna see Kyle Katarn palling around with baby yoda next season!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know what's worse, Star Wars and secret Jedis or UC Gundam and secret mobile suit projects.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not a very big star wars fan, I have watched all the films and I think they are varying levels of fun. My favourite trilogy is the sequel trilogy but I suspect it is because I saw all three in the cinema whereas everything about the others I gleamed from osmosis more than first time watching experience.

Last Jedi is my favourite of the sequel trilogy (the holdo manoeuver was one of the coolest little moments because of the silence. That took my breath away and remains one of my top 5 cinematic thumbs up :D)

I do love that the Vader reveal still tricks and wows kids though, those compilations of them finding out rocks and makes me smile a ton! What a great bit of story telling :D

I have not seen rogue one, or solo, or read any of the EU stuff or watched EU stuff except for episode 1 and 2 of the mandalorian (which is my current watching show) and one episode of the Droids cartoon called the Big Heap. I am the casual star wars watcher!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Solo is mostly okay, until the last act. Imo watch it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I could have an entire discussion about the messy delineation that plagues the EU and makes it so every important thing that happens in the entire galaxy happens to a group of 20 people who all know each other, and I have, but it's more that Star Wars has always been really terrible at throwing in random plot elements from bullshit secondary sources. Grievous just randomly shows up in episode III out of nowhere. Zombie Palpatine is resurrected via Fortnite announcement to become the main antagonist of episode IX. Darth Maul is the secret mastermind of Han Solo's girlfriend's gang or something.

The reason the Mandalorian works as well as it does is you can follow it pretty easily even if you've only ever seen the OT. You start throwing in Anakin's secret apprentice who was apparently just offscreen for movies III-VI and people are gonna start rolling their eyes.

Admittedly a weird criticism in the PS4 thread because almost every Star Wars game is built off the premise that Darth Vader had a dozen secret apprentices and an equal amount of secret Jedi heroes helped hand deliver the Death Star plans, but that doesn't mean I wanna see Kyle Katarn palling around with baby yoda next season!

Oh okay, you're thinking of the way that Star Wars sucks with all the parts of it taken into account. I was being literal about just give a quick summary about who she is and move on.

The animated ones were the closest I got to enjoying Star Wars but eventually that wore off too so maybe that's why I can't explain myself. I probably just need to be more critical about movies and games I play though. I can't really think of a lot of foreshadowing for new characters you're gonna be meeting that aren't plot important. It's usually just 'Go to here and talk to [NAME] they're in charge of [FUNCTION]. They probably have a better idea of what to do next.'

Komaki just comes out of nowhere in Yakuza 0 and 1, Baldur RKO's into the game out of nowhere, it's... I dunno, I can't think straight or explain myself at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dying Light was on sale, I'm very excited to try the co-op!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

blackguy32 posted:

Demon's Souls is legitimately the easiest Souls game, as far as gameplay goes. It's definitely gonna gently caress you over if you wanna do all the character quest and such, though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

goblin week posted:

Demon's Souls is legitimately the easiest Souls game, as far as gameplay goes.

Yup.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dying Light was on sale, I'm very excited to try the co-op!

It is amazingly good. My bestie and I are slowly making our way through it (and about a hundred other games) and it works really, really well. There was an amazing event where kicks and run speed where increased for everyone across the board to ridiculous levels and he and I just ran around jump kicking every zombie into bits. :D

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My taste of Star Wars may be pretty much standard as in I like the old trilogy (being Empire Strikes back the one I like the most), not being a fan of the next three (the Jar Jar Binks trilogy) and out of all modern films I only liked Rogue One and because mainly of the cast (Donnie Yen being my favourite character of them all).

Compared to Star Trek: I didn't pay much attention to this world until like three years ago (just watched a few of the really old films) when I started watching The Next Generation, films (the newer ones were... meeeh but still good to eat some popcorn), Discovery, Picard and now I'm watching Deep Space 9 and Voyager at the same time to keep things in order. I have to say that Star Trek takes more risks, is more campy and has a wider variety of characters, plots and so than Star Wars. Sure, Star Trek has its own grognards that are basically "The Original Series > everything and maybe The Next Generation is good, the rest is trash" kind of people. Star Trek has a lot of games back in the 90's but yet I can only think about Star Trek Onine, Star Trek Elite Force and Klingon Honor guard (maybe Klingon Academy) as the only ones that you can hear around and they're drat old at this point.

I'm sure that the Star Trek rights are some kind of hell compared to Star Wars ones but I'd totally play an exploration game, something like a more focused No Man's Sky. Totally single player, make my own crew pick a big ship and have sex withdiscover new species.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

You don't need some expansive backstory about the character beyond what they'd have more than enough time to drop in the show itself.

Like if I was watching the show with someone and was like Oh poo poo that's Ahsoka and the person was like "who is Ashoka," like, she was a cool character from Clone Wars who had a similar attitude to Anakin rolling around the galaxy kicking rear end for the Republic but then slowly realizing that the Republic and also the Jedi were absolute dogshit. But she peaced out instead of murdering kids and becoming Darth Vader.

I mean, "warrior that has some issues with Jedi" isn't exactly a groundbreaking character beat for Star Wars movies.

More relevantly; The loving Darksaber turns up right at the end of season 1, and there's no way in hell most of the audience are gonna recognize that or its Mandalorian significance at a glance without a deep dive into Clone Wars and/or Rebels.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Escobarbarian posted:

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

My dick is an oblong, from a certain point of view.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I'm sure that the Star Trek rights are some kind of hell compared to Star Wars ones but I'd totally play an exploration game, something like a more focused No Man's Sky. Totally single player, make my own crew pick a big ship and have sex withdiscover new species.
I don't think so, there was some weird rights split for awhile between CBS and Paramount as to TV/movie rights, and that's gone back and forth a few times as Viacom has merged and split so idk where it is now. It's mostly just that before Discovery it was like 15 years since the last TV show and no motivation to do anything with the property. In that time there was a really assy dual stick shooter on 360/PS3, an extremely mediocre third person shooter tie in to the first JJ movie, STO which has some pretty okay fan fiction (that got dropped the moment Discovery came out so they could do tie ins to that), Star Trek Timelines, the extremely phone game phone game that scratches the fanservice itch decently enough, and Bridge Crew which I like a lot but isn't too much more than Star Trek VR roleplaying with a little bit of a game attached

They've pretty much never made a game like what you want though, unfortunately. Timelines has an idle game mode where your crew flies around and you read about their adventures, but that's about it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Some dude on Reddit was talking about Battle Royale Twisted Metal and I have not been able to extract myself from that thought ever since because it's actually a really good idea.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fix posted:

Some dude on Reddit was talking about Battle Royale Twisted Metal and I have not been able to extract myself from that thought ever since because it's actually a really good idea.

XvsX mode where if you beat the other team you have to kill each other pls. What a dynamic game that would be.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VideoGames posted:

I am not a very big star wars fan, I have watched all the films and I think they are varying levels of fun. My favourite trilogy is the sequel trilogy but I suspect it is because I saw all three in the cinema whereas everything about the others I gleamed from osmosis more than first time watching experience.

Last Jedi is my favourite of the sequel trilogy (the holdo manoeuver was one of the coolest little moments because of the silence. That took my breath away and remains one of my top 5 cinematic thumbs up :D)

I do love that the Vader reveal still tricks and wows kids though, those compilations of them finding out rocks and makes me smile a ton! What a great bit of story telling :D

I have not seen rogue one, or solo, or read any of the EU stuff or watched EU stuff except for episode 1 and 2 of the mandalorian (which is my current watching show) and one episode of the Droids cartoon called the Big Heap. I am the casual star wars watcher!

Imo Rogue One and Solo are both way better than anything in the new trilogy. Solo is a mess but it's fun. R1 is actually way good and underrated.

I hate the new trilogy though so ymmv.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Imo Rogue One and Solo are both way better than anything in the new trilogy. Solo is a mess but it's fun. R1 is actually way good and underrated.

I hate the new trilogy though so ymmv.

I do mean to watch them eventually. Like I said, star wars is not really my thing. I always perferred Indiana Jones style stuff (coincidentally Raiders is my #2 of all time). I really liked old Han Solo in TFA and in Rise, that little moment where he spoke to Ben had me whooping though it is a shame Carrie never got her send off too.

I always go into these things open minded :D

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Watch Star Trek instead

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VG the new AV is spooky :ohno:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

Watch Star Trek instead
Picard has like, three secret apprentices and Wesley is the only one who gets any screen time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Picard has like, three secret apprentices and Wesley is the only one who gets any screen time.

"Shut up Wesley" is the fetish meme for Star Trek fans.

But yeah, watch Star Trek if you like space stuff. There's a TV series for pretty much everyone. Grognards hate on Discovery (I found it fine even if too action oriented for a series), Picard and some on Enterprise, ironically is the one that should be the first in the time-line but was the last one made in old fashion before Netflix's Discovery.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Star Trek TOS is a solid watch. All the Shatnerisms people love to imitate don't show up until season 3 when the show's budget was cut. It seemed like he started acting badly on purpose tbh. There's like 15-20 episodes that are great from either a character drama or speculative fiction standpoint. Kirk and Spock are great characters, McCoy less so, and nobody else gets enough screentime to be developed much. Even the godawful episodes usually have some funny camp to them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I fully agree with your post but as a real big DS2 fan I laugh when I see this said about life gems, life gem healing in DS2 is absurdly fast. You can eat multiple gems (I think up to 3) to increase the speed, then from there each time you eat a gem it refreshes the duration and keeps the full stacks.

You can go mostly-afk standing in a poison cloud while an enemy is hitting you and never really drop below full health if you keep popping in to eat a life gem every 10 seconds, and you can hold 99 life gems and buy them for a pittance from a vendor you meet 5 minutes into the game

That's why I liked DS2, life gems owned and made a hard game more accessible for a DS noob like me. They never stopped me getting utterly loving destroyed on the regular though... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Star Trek TOS is a solid watch. All the Shatnerisms people love to imitate don't show up until season 3 when the show's budget was cut. It seemed like he started acting badly on purpose tbh. There's like 15-20 episodes that are great from either a character drama or speculative fiction standpoint. Kirk and Spock are great characters, McCoy less so, and nobody else gets enough screentime to be developed much. Even the godawful episodes usually have some funny camp to them.

I just want to say I love this post a lot. Great post.