Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Zereth posted:

Zenith is really good at killing things.

Considering you can only make it at the very end of the game, it drat well better be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This game doesn't play like Dark Souls where you could get away with that kinda hellish mode. I really find the combat and enemies the low point of the game overall. Jesus, even the things that do next to no damage are annoying just because of how they move you and you make that awful uhhh sound when you're hit. Just trying to mine your way through some walls and some peon cave bat has you going "uhh uhh uhh" and I could beat my own house down (irl) with my fists sometimes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dreamsicle posted:

Rolling cactus's have killed me 4 times in 15 minutes. How do I best deal with them?

you can trigger them with basically anything ahead of time, so just hit them with an arrow or a long melee weapon like a flail

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I'm really glad I used the first secret seed to start 1.4 with, because the Terraria: Otherworld music that replaces the regular music is fantastic. It's much more atmospheric. If nobody has tried it yet, put 5162020 (or 05162020, doesn't matter which) as your world seed, and you'll unlock the music for all of your worlds through the Party Girl, who has a Music button after unlocking it that you can switch between the two soundtracks with.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hey my keyboard suddenly refuses to work in this game. i've tried unplugging, restarting, and validating game files. what gives

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I can probably make artificial biomes with the materials and time imported from other maps (like I did for Corruption in a Crimson world), but I noticed that the Bestiary is based off of map and not character; the problem is that my main world with the most time invested and the best base, apartments, event tower, etc. is the oldest map I have (circa 2012 or 2013), from before the Underground Sand Biomes were even a thing; it's one of those things where I really wish Terraria had allowed importing of map sections to new sections so I didn't have to take all the time to build everything again. I know Journey Mode gets rid of a lot of grind so... I guess I'll have to bite the bullet for that, even though it almost feels like cheating.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For a brand new player, if there is such a thing, journey would be kinda cheating. For everyone else who's put hundreds of hours into the game, it's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

codo27 posted:

For a brand new player, if there is such a thing, journey would be kinda cheating. For everyone else who's put hundreds of hours into the game, it's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Someone with more time can probably tell me I'm stupid and wrong but I once made a world just to drill the entire thing out of existence to see what would happen so I'd probably prefer to make the biomes I need in my old world, if possible.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I played a little bit yesterday. So far journey mode is has been great for my hoarder tendencies.

No need to have 25 chests filled with random crap when I can just spawn a stack of doors, or tables or w/e when I need to.

And I'm using potions! :toot:

Put the difficulty slider to classic levels, and I'm having a great time. Really appreciate having a spawn rate slider too. I'd much rather have a horde of enemies than a bunch of bullet sponges.

Not been at all tempted with the god mode button.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Had a blood moon, I'm in crimson armor using dungeon-level weapons and I turned the spawn rate slider to 10x. Running into a crowd of zombies with the meatball was like the lawnmower scene from Dead Alive. Ended up killing a few hundred zombies and got about 1.5 platinum out of it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Had a blood moon, I'm in crimson armor using dungeon-level weapons and I turned the spawn rate slider to 10x. Running into a crowd of zombies with the meatball was like the lawnmower scene from Dead Alive. Ended up killing a few hundred zombies and got about 1.5 platinum out of it.
The real reason to do this is the money trough.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I've turned down the difficulty and maxed the spawns and it's great fun. With the added bonus bonus of my town filling with critters.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Zereth posted:

i don’t know if it’s had its drop changed but the only money trough i’ve had drop is from blood moon fishing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

i don’t know if it’s had its drop changed but the only money trough i’ve had drop is from blood moon fishing
I turned spawns up to 10x and took my star cannon out for a spin and IIRC got one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Zereth posted:

Yeah, I got like 4.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've been chilling in godmode for the last few days building underwater/space stuff and I'll tell you not worrying about drowning constantly or having harpies constantly dive-bombing me has been a real nice change.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Gobblecoque posted:

Dang. Entered hardmode and two of my villages get abandoned from the burst of corruption. :(

I'm glad I didn't tick my offline world into hardmode yet for this reason. I feel like I need to rearrange my villages from their utilitarian boxes into something less prone to hardmode difficulties.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I kind of wish I could change my current world to expert or master later because I love this little base I've built.

Also is there a way to change your character's eye, skin, etc colours in game since I didn't bother with them at first or do I need to get an inventory editor or something to build a new one?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Zereth posted:

I turned spawns up to 10x and took my star cannon out for a spin and IIRC got one.

okay sick

what’s the best way of getting a lava charm? it’s the only thing i need for the fully upgraded shoes but it’s taking an incredible amount of time to get. i’m not on journey mode but i don’t see how that could speed it up

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Nightwisher's Home for The Dead And Constantly Dying, REVISION 2 (the first one was literally impossible)

IP: 173.237.46.20
Port: 7777
Password: g00nz
Seed: for the worthy
Difficulty: Journey at Master difficulty locked
Spawn Rate: 2x

This is an experimental server using the "for the worthy" seed, that basically turns the game into super-nightmare-master mode. All journey powers are locked besides placement range. Research and duplication remain however. This is meant to be a collaborative experience culminating in a 10x spawn, max difficulty moon-lord battle of the millenium.

Please also use only fresh characters for this server! New players can be brought up to speed with duplication but this is intended to be a "from nothing" experiment otherwise.

Please check your enemy difficulty and spawn rate settings in the Journey Powers menu, they should be locked at 3.0 and 2.04 respectively. Getting these settings to work and stick properly is a WIP so let me know if it doesn't enforce those settings on you

The server is being reset and a new world created, so get in now!

What "for the worthy" seed does:

quote:

The world generation screen messages have backwards text.
The Demolitionist replaces the Guide upon entering the world for the first time.
Some water pools throughout the world are replaced with lava.
Pots drop lit bombs that shortly explode, instead of collectible Bomb items.
Enemies have increased health and massively increased damage. (eg. Demon Eyes pre-Hardmode deal 40 damage to a character in full Solar Flare armor).
Bosses have doubled health, on top of previous Expert/Master bonuses.

Many bosses are either larger or smaller than normal:
Larger: Skeletron, King Slime, Destroyer, The Hungry plantera.
Smaller: Golem, Wall of Flesh, The Twins.

Spider Nests, Granite Caves, Marble Caves, and Glowing Mushroom biomes are much more common.
Glowing Mushroom biomes are much larger.
Floating Islands are always infected with the world's evil, with matching water fountains.
Skyware Chests are replaced with locked Gold Chests.
The Dungeon is painted with vibrant colors and filled with many more Spike traps.
Additionally, the surface building of the dungeon is inverted (the opening faces towards the nearest Ocean).
The Jungle Temple is painted green and is much larger.

Underworld:
The Ash Block ground is speckled with 1 block-sized pockets of lava.
Digging up Ash Blocks will sometimes trigger other nearby Ash Blocks to fall (be affected by gravity), similar to Silt. This behavior is closely related to that of Cracked Dungeon Bricks.
All Ruined Houses are made of Hellstone Bricks.
All Demons are replaced with Voodoo Demons.
Wood Chest/Water Chest loot can contain a single Dirt Block along with their standard loot.
Red Potions can generate in chests. When consumed, these apply 3 random 30-minute buffs (instead of applying all debuffs like in other world seeds).
Bunnies are replaced with Explosive Bunnies.
Skeletron Prime's bombs destroy blocks.
The Lunatic Cultist cycles faster between attacks.
All Blocks take only half as many hits with a pickaxe to break, rounded up.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 23, 2020

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do hallow/evil biome blocks convert msuhroom grass mud into their biome?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Crafted frostspark boots and all the diving equipment, something I've never managed to do before. Thanks Journey mode! :toot:

I think it's finally time I reach out and go look for the Queen Bee and challenge Skeletron. I'm pretty much out of things to do except more Angler quests and I'm starting to get annoyed at them even with having done the research already on the quest rewards.

I turned the difficulty up to Expert and I'm actually dying sometimes now. drat you sharks! Managed to beat King Slime, the Eye and EoW on Expert too so now I have their fancy stuff. The eye was hardest funny enough because of the enraged dashes near the end.

Did have to cheat a bit and look at my map to find the Stylist though. With a Large map it's impossible to find spider caverns.

axeil fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 22, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

axeil posted:

Crafted frostspark boots and all the diving equipment, something I've never managed to do before. Thanks Journey mode! :toot:

I think it's finally time I reach out and go look for the Queen Bee and challenge Skeletron. I'm pretty much out of things to do
You could make Terraspark boots.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

nightwisher posted:

:siren::siren::siren: A MASSIVE THREAT IS COMING TOWARDS US :siren::siren::siren:
Pictured: Your typical every-other-day bloodmoon

Nightwisher's Home for The Dead And Constantly Dying
IP: 173.237.46.20
Port: 7777
Password: g00nz
Seed: for the worthy
Difficulty: Journey at Master difficulty locked
This is an experimental server using the "for the worthy" seed, that basically turns the game into super-nightmare-master mode. All journey powers are locked besides placement range and spawn rate (this is only because there's no way to actually set a spawn rate on the server without allowing everyone to alter it, so, please honor the dreadful spirit of this server and set your spawn rate to 10x and leave it there). Research and duplication remain.
Please also use only fresh characters for this server! New players can be brought up to speed with duplication but this is intended to be a "from nothing" experiment otherwise.

I tried this with one other buddy and even with end-of-pre-hardmode equipment (gravity potions and other buffs, star cannons, molten armor) it was impossible to clear any boss apart from the Eye. You need TAS-level control to accomplish anything major lol.

Zereth posted:

You could make Terraspark boots.

These are probably one of the most undersung parts of 1.4; I'd never really used lava waders in the past because they were just really low priority to carry around. Turns out the Wall of Flesh is really fun when you can just skim on lava instead of farting out a whole mile-long bridge

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 22, 2020

watho
Aug 2, 2013

you could do that before by popping obsidian skin and water walking potions but being able to do it innately is pretty sick as well

now if only i could get a loving lava charm

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

you could do that before by popping obsidian skin and water walking potions but being able to do it innately is pretty sick as well

now if only i could get a loving lava charm
They can drop out of Obsidian Crates from lava fishing, which is now possible pre-hardmode by catching bugs in hell with a lavaproof bug net! Or golden bug net if you've got one of those.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Zereth posted:

They can drop out of Obsidian Crates from lava fishing, which is now possible pre-hardmode by catching bugs in hell with a lavaproof bug net! Or golden bug net if you've got one of those.

yeah i know that’s what i’m doing it’s just taking a lot of time to catch the critters and fish and taking care of mobs and all that

Woden
May 6, 2006
I spent hours looking for a lava charm before giving up and getting them from a world seed.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i caught like two bugs and then just selectively fished up 6 crates and got two hooks in that. obviously lucky but i think you have a good chance in 10 or so crates to get the lavaproof hook and then you can fish up like 50!

fishing in lava is nice because there are no common fish catches, so you only catch something every 10-20 seconds rather than every second. ultimately you probably want everything that you hook once you get the lavaproof one

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i finally got a hook after like 10 crates so i can use my pile of master bait now

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

Also is there a way to change your character's eye, skin, etc colours in game since I didn't bother with them at first or do I need to get an inventory editor or something to build a new one?

Put a dresser in your home and click on it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think that only lets you change your clothes, though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nope. Pretty sure you can do the eyes and all, I was looking at it the other day

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hmm, yeah, you're right. Turns out you can also do eye and skin color there now, although not hair. It used to be that it only let you do clothes.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Not only that but find the hair stylist to get new hairstyles and colors. I got hair that grows paler as I use magic its rad.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I like the biome hair. Always knowing where you are is pretty useful for those biome-specific NPC items.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

President Ark posted:

1. find ores and hearts. get at least silver or gold armor (for a first-time player) and a good weapon that can do mid-to-long range, or a shitload of throwing knives. get a grappling hook; you can either make one with a chain and a hook or with gems. (if you're lucky you might get one as a random drop, there are a bunch of grappling hook variants in the game)
2. kill the eye of cthulhu to get the components for better weapons. to summon him, either reach high enough health (i think 200-220?) or craft the item at a demon/crimson altar with lenses dropped by demon eyes. the eye moves around a lot and tends to hover at range, this is why you got the ranged weapons or throwing knives.
3. get enough housing available so you get the dryad and/or demolitionist to move in, which you'll need for the next bit.
4. go to your world's evil (corruption/crimson) and destroy shadow orbs/crimson hearts. to reach them either use bombs/dynamite (from the demolitionist) or purification powder (from the dryad). destroying 3 will summon another boss, so stop at 2. take the equipment you got. if you got a gun, make more housing for another NPC; if you got a magic weapon (thorn rod or the crimson rain rod) that will be a big help against the next boss.
4b (OPTIONAL). wait a bit for a meteor to land and dig it up for a very good earlygame magic ranged set and weapon (the meteory armor & space blaster), good tools, and pretty good melee weapons (the phasesabers). if you have the demolitionist, dynamite will very quickly clear out meteor blocks which damage you; e: apparently this no longer works; you can also dig up obsidian from deep underground near lava and make an obsidian skull which makes meteor blocks not hurt you.
5. if you have corruption, buy a shitload of grenades from the demolitionist; make the best armor you can (you may need to kill eye of cthulu a few more times; craft more eyes if you do, once you've killed it once it stops freely spawning after 200-220 HP) and take on the next boss. grenades will chump the corruption boss (they're somewhat decent against the crimson boss but not as much), and the magic weapons from either biome's loot item are also very good against them.

at this point the world's your oyster and you're probably free to explore the dungeon, jungle, or hell; if you go with the latter, be careful not to kill 'voodoo demons' carelessly, as the item they drop will, if it falls into lava, summon the boss that makes the world change into hard mode

I killed the Eye of Cthulu :toot:

He was easy. Thank you

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I never played the Old Ones Army event, did I screw myself by waiting until post Golem? The wiki tells me it gets harder, I can't get past the first couple of waves and I don't have the defenders medals to buy the better gear.

Is there a trick I'm missing to progress a little farther or is my only option to start a new world and do it there until I can get the better items?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just remember everyone: You can Alt + Left Click on an item to favorite it and it'll get a gold border that won't let you sell it, trash it, or Deposit All it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

Is there a trick I'm missing to progress a little farther or is my only option to start a new world and do it there until I can get the better items?

The idea would be by that point you'll have good turrets, but it can be doable with turrets on one side ayns a good mage.