Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Does it open up at all after the intro sequence? I tried it for half an hour but it felt very on rails and I got bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Obeservation and Space Haven are also available on GOG.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

grate deceiver posted:

Does it open up at all after the intro sequence? I tried it for half an hour but it felt very on rails and I got bored.

Only a little, though I'm a third of the way in. You get freedom to roam after the intro, and there's optional lore you can find, but progression is still on rails. Figure out the one way to reach a specific room, solve the puzzle, see cutscene, repeat.

I'd like agency in being a loyal or rogue AI, but it seems set in stone.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Observation is pretty linear, but I enjoyed it all the same. It goes impressively mad plot-wise near the end.

Donnerberg posted:

If you get the game, know that there's a glitched keybinding. You need to hit Backspace when it says press X.

Hah, I had this. Turns out that is actually the official "backspace icon" or something. It's on my phone when entering the PIN as well.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

deep dish peat moss posted:

So this game Space Haven has been on my wishlist for a while and released in EA today.

It's a colony builder with pixel art graphics where you live in a spaceship that you build as you go, mine resources from asteroids with mining pod drones, fight off aliens, explore derelict space hulks with your away team, make sure your rooms are properly heated and supplied with power, grow artificial meat in labs, trade with errant traders, etc.

The graphics are really nice and it seems like it could go places. If you've played the Rimworld mod Save Our Ship/SOS you should feel right at home here

caveat emptor it's EA but I've been enjoying it

This looks like it could turn out well, wishlisted.

It also just occurred to me that what I'd really like to see is a fantasy version of this, maybe with D&D's Spelljammer setting.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That looks interesting and I was going to buy it after seeing it was $11.69 US from the steam website, I open up steam itself to buy it and it turns out that $11.69 is apparently £17.09. gently caress off steam.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So Monster Train is a legit Slay The Spire kind of deck builder with enough of it's own ideas about adding a little tower defense and a lot of polish.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I've seen a few playthroughs of Monster train, and honestly it seems very high quality and offers a lot of avenues for strategy. Not my kind of game mind you, but I always enjoy watching other people play.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
PCGamer mentioned this one, I, Dracula Genesis

Just watch the video :eyepop: (when it actually starts 20 seconds in...). It doesn't play like other twinsticks, closest to Enter The Gungeon. Most arenas are very small and it's quite chaotic. Some bugs right now but with the amount of effort here I don't think they will ditch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6OHPpGQITo

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

ShellShock Live

$7
"Overwhelmingly Positive"
(It's Scorched Earth)

Do yourself a favor and just get the 4 pack for 20 bucks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

deep dish peat moss posted:

So this game Space Haven has been on my wishlist for a while and released in EA today.

It's a colony builder with pixel art graphics where you live in a spaceship that you build as you go, mine resources from asteroids with mining pod drones, fight off aliens, explore derelict space hulks with your away team, make sure your rooms are properly heated and supplied with power, grow artificial meat in labs, trade with errant traders, etc.

The graphics are really nice and it seems like it could go places. If you've played the Rimworld mod Save Our Ship/SOS you should feel right at home here

caveat emptor it's EA but I've been enjoying it

My main problem with this is the ridiculous amount of resource and production stuff you need to make things. Or maybe I'm overthinking it

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Jarvisi posted:

My main problem with this is the ridiculous amount of resource and production stuff you need to make things. Or maybe I'm overthinking it

Water is a bit too precious I think, spaceships are a closed system, so somehow losing 80% of water involved in growing food and the oxygen generator constantly needing water to create more oxygen even with a CO2 purfier, makes its rarity the greatest challenge in game. Maybe if they added space stations where one could bulk up on water instead of it being a resource that limits all activity.

Also, automated bots for doing all the carrying, with machinery having larger storage capacity, so my crew dont need to spend all their time running back and forth.

Otherwise, quite promising, if they manage to add something to generate random events and personal stories.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Boreal Tales is a surreal urban-horror adventure game with a lo-fi style and PS1 era Squaresoft aesthetics. Came out last month on itch for $3 Canadian which is like $1.50 USD and the dev probably gets a better cut anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sludge Life, the dankest looking game I've seen in a while, just dropped for free on EGS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1I-3WkO-MU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Seriously, how is Maneater not been mentioned yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCRmiOqUgYQ

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrangeAeon posted:

I watched some vids and it looks like it's an...open world RPG? Does anyone have any impressions? I have a feeling it's fun but I'm not sure how long it goes before outstaying its welcome...

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

I watched some vids and it looks like it's an...open world RPG? Does anyone have any impressions? I have a feeling it's fun but I'm not sure how long it goes before outstaying its welcome...

Jim Sterling's review makes it sound fun but a bit awkward to control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQNdO8WyqeU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StrangeAeon posted:

I would blame it being an EGS exclusive but no it's because they didn't license Hall and Oates for the trailer.

mr Scoop posted:

Jim Sterling's review makes it sound fun but a bit awkward to control

Basically the PS2 Jaws game but an open world RPG. EGS sale going through June 11 so worth a look.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Sounds really cool but I worry about looting, what would a killer shark loot i mean there should be loot in my rpgs tbh

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Body parts?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You'd be amazed at the kind of weird poo poo that's been found in sharks' stomachs.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Klaaz posted:

Sounds really cool but I worry about looting, what would a killer shark loot i mean there should be loot in my rpgs tbh

I dunno about loot, but there’s supposed to be some kind of extensive, completely wacky, evolution system, so you might be exploring and fighting to discover those evolutions, whatever points you need to buy upgrades, skills, etc.

I’m kinda excited to play it, because it seems like it’s going to have a fun personality and tearing through pretty underwater areas looking for chances to gently caress poo poo up and get weird powers sounds fun, but it feels like a $19.99 sales buy, and it currently has bugs that cause console overheating and save data loss besides, so at very least it should be skipped until they patch that stuff out.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
There's no way it's better than Ace Of Seafood

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Klaaz posted:

Calories. The shark loots calories and gets bigger and meaner and loots even more calories.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This game came out back at the end of March on PC and Switch but it was never mentioned in this thread:
One Step from Eden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZZuo7Xpmqs

It's a Roguelite Megaman Battle Network clone.

It's hard to summarize if you never played MMBN. It's, uhh, a deck-building roguelite with fast-paced real-time card-based tactical action combat and co-op.

I sort of hate it but also really like it? The interface is truly terrible and I feel utterly lost in a game that feels familiar like some kind of weird jamais vu experience, the tooltips are bad, there's very little information presented to the player during the actual gameplay and it seems like I'll have to memorize a ton of card effects and icons and statuses if I want to keep going, but there's something incredibly charming about it from what I've played so far. The actual combat gameplay is unique in the sea of deck-based roguelites, it's waaay harder than MMBN because it's just way faster in general without pauses or slowdown or delays.

And it keeps doing things that surprise me. One time after my then-furthest run (boss of the second stage) I died which triggered my character's ability to resurrect once after dying. Then I fought a really tense battle and got the boss close to death before finally eating a rocket to the face and dying, only to be surprised by a random innocent NPC I saved from a turret earlier in the run appearing to resurrect me one more time and help me fight the boss. Or the rocker boss whose attack pattern includes a repeating cycle of playing a concert for you (where music notes rain on your side of the map and you have to step into them in rhythm DDR-style, gaining a stacking shield buff from each note) then playing a solo which is a big high-damage wave attack that the concert shield protects you from.

There's just something weirdly visionary about its approach to the genre of deckbuilding roguelite in the same sort of way that Crypt of the Necrodancer was a visionary approach to roguelikes.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 4, 2020

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The full release of Amazing Cultivation Simulator will be out soon along with English version at a later time. It's a Xianxia genre game where you run a sect to raise mortal into immortal eastern Taoist wizard god. A lot of people in the LP said they never heard of this fascinating genre, so now would be a good time check it out.

The English version is currently in close beta, and it's professionally translated by actual Xianxia novelists who published books in English.

Edit: Forgot to mention I teamed up with a modder and spent half a year to roughly translate older content of the game, so you can play it now with minimal understanding.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 4, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Do you have any ETA on the english translation? Closed beta, is that weeks, months, years...?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you have any ETA on the english translation? Closed beta, is that weeks, months, years...?
It was originally stated to come with the 1.0 release, so about August-ish.

Amazing Cultivation Sim is hilarious. Imagine Rimworld by way of Bridge of Birds by way of Dragonball Z. It's utterly insane and Nyaa's LP is a blast to read.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay sold, thanks for the fan translation nyaa.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Nyaa posted:

The English version is currently in close beta, and it's professionally translated by actual Xianxia novelists who published books in English.

now if only Scroll of Taiwu would get an official translation.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Achernar posted:

now if only Scroll of Taiwu would get an official translation.
I tried to do a LP of that, but it took two weeks to get ONE tutorial translated. This is why I translated Amazing Cultivator Sim first before starting the LP. :bang:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
drat, that sucks :stare: What was it about Scroll of Taiwu that made it so hard to translate?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

CommissarMega posted:

drat, that sucks :stare: What was it about Scroll of Taiwu that made it so hard to translate?
Archaism, confucian/taoist philosophy, tons of proverbs, and everything that come with wuxia style setting and lore.

Now that I think about it, the tutorial is actually the hardest to translate because it is the plot and story element itself.

edit: Oh look, I still have them in lpix folder:
Horse's stat
Character Attribute
Sample conversation
Sample conversation 2
Sample conversation 3
Map movement tutorial
Keywords
Pre-combat tactic screen

Edit 2: The game is great though!

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 4, 2020

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Nyaa posted:

The full release of Amazing Cultivation Simulator will be out soon along with English version at a later time. It's a Xianxia genre game where you run a sect to raise mortal into immortal eastern Taoist wizard god. A lot of people in the LP said they never heard of this fascinating genre, so now would be a good time check it out.

Edit: Forgot to mention I teamed up with a modder and spent half a year to roughly translate older content of the game, so you can play it now with minimal understanding.

I actually discovered that game and the Xianxia genre through your Let’s Play; thank you very much! I really want to play, it’s hard having enough willpower to wait until the full English translation is released.
I wonder if it’s possible to get a copy if you get accepted to beta.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Nyaa posted:

This looks really cool, I'm reading your LP thread someone mentioned and I'm going to try the game with the unofficial english patch :cheers:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Catalina posted:

I actually discovered that game and the Xianxia genre through your Let’s Play; thank you very much! I really want to play, it’s hard having enough willpower to wait until the full English translation is released.
I wonder if it’s possible to get a copy if you get accepted to beta.

Have you played Rimworld? It won't have the absolutely awesome flavoring of Cultivation Sim, but I'm getting familiar with the gameplay which is going to be handy whenever the translation drops.

In the meantime, same! same same reading nyaa's LP thread got me into reading xianxia and I now have World of Cultivation, Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, Nine Star Hegemon something Body Art, and more in my bookmarks. They're perfect light reading for when I need a break from reading the nonfiction chonkers I've been working on!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Crossposting, itch.io is doing a massive bundle of hundreds of paid indie games for $5, there a few more high-profile indie games but a lot of them are way more obscure and there's plenty of gold nuggets if you're willing to pan through the dirt:

Discendo Vox posted:

Not technically free, but the cause is good and the value ratio is too insane to not mention: Itch.io asked their devs to donate games in a bundle with proceeds donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Community Bail Fund split 50/50.

The result is a bundle of 744 paid games available for five bucks.

Better-recognized games include:

• Babysitter Bloodbath, from the seminal 80s throwback horror creator Puppet Combo
  • Lancer, the tabletop setting and rulebook from the creator of Kill Six Billion Demons
  • Night in the Woods, a goon favorite
  • OneShot, a particularly popular metacommentary-laden indie darling
  • Super Hexagon, the popular twitch action game
  • Cook Serve Delicious 2, another goon-favorite sim that accurately induces restaurant industry RSI
  • Bleed and Bleed 2, well-known platform action entries
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy, a first person hack-em-up

aaand my computer ran out of memory scrolling down but that's in the first few rows. All this plus a gazillion of the rainbow of arthouse games and zines and such that itch.io houses, all without DRM.

edit:
Note that when you finish the purchase you're put on a unique page associated with your purchase. Save this address page. You need to click the download button for each game that you want in your library. Itch attaches the bundle to your account but I can't tell how you would cleanly get back to its page, and it says it emails the link to you, but I didn't get that email.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My suggestion is the itch desktop app

Works better than steam does most of the time.

Saw a post showing the massive Spike in site traffic and thought about how itch had taken no VC money and the cut from each sale made on the sure is left up to the creator, anywhere from 100 to 0%

Catalina
May 20, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played Rimworld? It won't have the absolutely awesome flavoring of Cultivation Sim, but I'm getting familiar with the gameplay which is going to be handy whenever the translation drops.

In the meantime, same! same same reading nyaa's LP thread got me into reading xianxia and I now have World of Cultivation, Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, Nine Star Hegemon something Body Art, and more in my bookmarks. They're perfect light reading for when I need a break from reading the nonfiction chonkers I've been working on!

Haha, yes, I have over 200 hours in Rimworld! Also, I never really feel like I can get into light novels because I prefer CYOA or visual novel games, but it has been interesting to see what Xianxia and Wuxia games there are now that I know what the genres are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This isn't necessarily related, but I've never heard of the Xianxia genre before. What's a good place to start, either book or game-wise?