Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

wooger posted:

My hot take: Brighton doesn’t have a beach, literally anywhere on the south coast would be better for that. And everything else that makes Brighton good is surely shut?

Correct, Brighton beach is pretty not good unless you love stones, but... Brighton innit.

We sometimes go to the beach wayyy further west than the pier / Londoner hotspots in summer but if we’re doing a BBQ or something it’s usually on the lawns near the seafront or somewhere that’s not the beach

Looks like every oval office is out at the moment as if there was never a pandemic. So many large groups of teenagers out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
There is only two outcomes to people being dickheads and going out in masses.

Either we will all "rip your famil" due to a second wave or things won't be as bad (lol, right) and all these loitering people be all "told you guys it wasn't a big deal :smuggo:" forever.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I made Cilbir (Turkish poached eggs on garlic yoghurt base served with red pepper flake infused hot butter) and working now.

Feeling less depressed today, might get things done(tm) today.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

I made Cilbir (Turkish poached eggs on garlic yoghurt base served with red pepper flake infused hot butter) and working now.

Feeling less depressed today, might get things done(tm) today.

Get some weights done or go for a jog. Keeps me from getting sad during these long days.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah, I spiraled bad around mid April and now pushing 140 kg (22 stone) from like 125 kg (19 stone) and it really shows up both visually and physically.

I wake up each day, swearing to do some excersize/running then end up playing vidya and overeating. We have a nice enclosed garden perfect for weightlifting so yeah, hopefully I'll drag my flabby carcass there sometime.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

Yeah, I spiraled bad around mid April and now pushing 140 kg (22 stone) from like 125 kg (19 stone) and it really shows up both visually and physically.

I wake up each day, swearing to do some excersize/running then end up playing vidya and overeating. We have a nice enclosed garden perfect for weightlifting so yeah, hopefully I'll drag my flabby carcass there sometime.

Happened to the best of us, mate. Sad there for two weeks drinking and eating before I realized I've got to be more proactive.

Start simple and easy with the weights. There's a guy on youtube called Althean-X who has some pretty good ways of getting going. Or DDP yoga.

Aginor fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 22, 2020

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Flatmate got caught by not one but two phishing scams for her bank details and that's why she's been hiding in other houses. And out of boredom too I guess.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
How?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

should have been more alert

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Corona themed tax refund email that she needed to set up an account for including her banking details, followed up by a phone call from her bank telling her she might be victim of a scam and they needed to confirm her account details, which she obliged. Then they told her they needed her to transfer the money to a safe account which is when she alerted up and put the phone down.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Never understood how anybody falls for these scams. I'm refuse to give out my bank details to anything if I can avoid it. Don't even use direct debits. Of course, there's never any money in my account to steal but still. In fact sometimes I give them my account details so they might feel sorry for me and put money in!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Aginor posted:

Never understood how anybody falls for these scams.

congrats on having the exact mindset that makes you more likely to fall for a scam, op

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

congrats on having the exact mindset that makes you more likely to fall for a scam, op

Thank you! Would you like my bank details now?

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Our university sold off the accommodation I was living in, after someone got murdered in it and the new private company that bought it sent everyone an email saying "change of plan, rather than using that university website portal to pay your rent, please just send a bank transfer of a full semester's rent to this account, cheers" and it's still shocking that that wasn't actually a scam.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Our university sold off the accommodation I was living in, after someone got murdered in it and the new private company that bought it sent everyone an email saying "change of plan, rather than using that university website portal to pay your rent, please just send a bank transfer of a full semester's rent to this account, cheers" and it's still shocking that that wasn't actually a scam.

To be fair (and I know I will trigger Inexplicable Humblebrag again) you would surely call up the company and university to check before doing anything? If I ever get any texts telling me something that sounds suspicious I call the bank or gov or whatever to ensure there's nothing fraudulent afoot.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Some people are so detached from procedures like banking and taxes that a carefully worded e-mail or a phone call can work wonders.

One of the most popular scams in Turkey is similar to what OPs roommates and you'd be :psyduck: when hearing that famous people,doctors, professors etc. fall for that.

It's basically someone calls you claiming that they are from the police or secret service and their bank accounts are compromised and used by criminals/terrorists. They been asked to withdraw all the money to be transferred into a "secure government account" by dropping it into a thrashcan outside of the city.

You'd be shocked how many people fell for that and dropped like crazy amounts into a thrashcan over the years. The police now sends SMSs almost each month saying that "That is a scam, hang up the phone and report the number if you can"

It can be a combination of fear/ignorance/greed combined with "lol I will never fall for that :smuggo:" like IH said.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
True I suppose. I relent. I'm just super cynical of anything that involves money. Of course, if I do get caught up in one of these scams I will be the first to put my hand up and tell you all.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Rondette posted:

Thanks to those of you who ordered some of my charity masks, I've sent them out so you should get em soon. Anyone else want one, click here
https://localgiving.org/fundraising/sewingforfood/

Thanks for the mask, Rondette! Just arrived today :woop:

I don't really believe that masks are all that helpful if you're not infected already, but I feel like at some point we'll be told we need to wear them generally, or more likely shops etc will independently decide to start turning people away who don't have them. This was a great solution for just general everyday use, plus not taking away NHS resources or lining Amazon's pocket.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
We loaded the kids into the car this morning and went for a country drive. Didn’t get OUT of the car obviously. Went through the Burger King drive through and got lunch. Felt normal for a while.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Aginor posted:

True I suppose. I relent. I'm just super cynical of anything that involves money. Of course, if I do get caught up in one of these scams I will be the first to put my hand up and tell you all.

As a business owner (lol) I'm hyper paranoid about anything that is even remotely HMRC related and they been sending e-mails about increased fraud during these government schemes so it makes me even more vulnerable because I don't want to gently caress anything up as it jeopardizes my immigration status as well.

I call the HMRC hotline or e-mail my accountant and immigration lawyer incessantly until I'm sure about the authencity of any query.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Ape Fist posted:

We loaded the kids into the car this morning and went for a country drive. Didn’t get OUT of the car obviously. Went through the Burger King drive through and got lunch. Felt normal for a while.

I have work by Southend on Sea and probably going to stay in a hotel for a night instead of taking 4 train trips in 2 days.

It's next month but even now I feel weird about it. Haven't been to anywhere north if the Thames since March 13 that isn't a market/pharmacy trip nearby.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

arent hotels all closed for now? I thought they could only open to emergency staff or relief accommodation for emergencies

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Voting Floater posted:

Thanks for the mask, Rondette! Just arrived today :woop:

I don't really believe that masks are all that helpful if you're not infected already, but I feel like at some point we'll be told we need to wear them generally, or more likely shops etc will independently decide to start turning people away who don't have them. This was a great solution for just general everyday use, plus not taking away NHS resources or lining Amazon's pocket.

If everyone wore a mask the virus infection would be significantly reduced and almost eliminated.

https://theconversation.com/masks-h...-wearing-138507

Masks are good.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

kecske posted:

arent hotels all closed for now? I thought they could only open to emergency staff or relief accommodation for emergencies

The current government advice for bookings is "essential workers only" which might or might not work for me as we work in infrastructre and construction. I'll mail the letter from my client and see if works. Things might have changed by late June too.

I have checked and some hotels are open, with skeleton staff I assume.

Here is the Booking.com blurb:

quote:

As per government guidelines to minimise the transmission of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), this property can only accept bookings from essential workers and reasonable evidence must be provided upon arrival. If reasonable evidence is not provided, your booking will be cancelled upon arrival.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Having to borrow money from my parents because either a decision to furlough was made too late or it took the company I work for too long to send required documents to the umbrella company who pay me to make Mays furlough payment

Extremely glad I am able to do that and rip my co-workers who cant

:thumbsup:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Aginor posted:

(and I know I will trigger Inexplicable Humblebrag again)

i think you have a rather warped perception of what posting means, op

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

As a business owner (lol) I'm hyper paranoid about anything that is even remotely HMRC related and they been sending e-mails about increased fraud during these government schemes so it makes me even more vulnerable because I don't want to gently caress anything up as it jeopardizes my immigration status as well.

I call the HMRC hotline or e-mail my accountant and immigration lawyer incessantly until I'm sure about the authencity of any query.

Very true. Being I'm salaried by my company, money goes out and I accept it. So if I ever got a HMRC or gov text I'd immediately call bullshit because one, they don't usually text or email, and two, the company's accountants sort what I pay.

Death rates are up to 351 supposedly. And being as it usually increased by 5pm seems we are going backwards.

Aginor fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 22, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

good thing some brits got a bit of sun before drowning to death on their own lung juice

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Galewolf posted:

For what it's worth, all of the HMRC scams I've seen have been entirely as crude as the civilian ones, and you probably wouldn't even be vulnerable unless you have an operating premises with assets and you're listed online as Giant Turkstacks' Fisting Factory Ltd.

The general one is to call a small business and say that they're from HMRC and that you need to pay £700 right now to the special debt account or they'll be round with a van in thirty minutes to requisition all of your key fisting equipment (real HMRC do not have a van, or a magic debt account that only accepts bank transfers, and do not want your fisting equipment). Naturally, they'll fall down if you ask them to do anything like confirm your PAYE reference or to list your previous payments and so will start accusing you of being "uncooperative", at which point you can feel free to lean into the accent and just start yelling "YOU COME HERE I gently caress YOU, I gently caress YOUR MOTHER" for your own amusement until they hang up.

This also largely works well with regular HMRC, in fairness

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

For what it's worth, all of the HMRC scams I've seen have been entirely as crude as the civilian ones, and you probably wouldn't even be vulnerable unless you have an operating premises with assets and you're listed online as Giant Turkstacks' Fisting Factory Ltd.

The general one is to call a small business and say that they're from HMRC and that you need to pay £700 right now to the special debt account or they'll be round with a van in thirty minutes to requisition all of your key fisting equipment (real HMRC do not have a van, or a magic debt account that only accepts bank transfers, and do not want your fisting equipment). Naturally, they'll fall down if you ask them to do anything like confirm your PAYE reference or to list your previous payments and so will start accusing you of being "uncooperative", at which point you can feel free to lean into the accent and just start yelling "YOU COME HERE I gently caress YOU, I gently caress YOUR MOTHER" for your own amusement until they hang up.

This also largely works well with regular HMRC, in fairness

It might be the house arrest setting it but this post made me laugh for two minutes straight, well done my goonfriend.

Yeah, in a situation like that I'd be panicking about GTFF Ltd's critical fisting assets because it's my a-) First time in the UK b-) First time running a business and not being on salary. for like a second or two but probably calm down and ask the questions you have mentioned and more. I usually forward any written queries to my accountant and immigration lawyer, then have them check my reply as well in case I miss something in translation.

They won't be taking Giant Turkstacks' Fisting Factory anytime soon, that I promise :colbert:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

Thanks to those of you who ordered some of my charity masks, I've sent them out so you should get em soon. Anyone else want one, click here

Mine arrived as well this morning, thanks! Fully recommend, A++ would mask again, etc.

[e] was booked to give blood today. Had a stream of the usual 'remember your appointment' 'get hydrated' etc texts, then a single one three hours beforehand saying it had been cancelled :(

spincube fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 22, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

A friend of mine posted pictures and some tl;dr on her facebook to show their day-trip to Cambridge.

I guess we are on the "not just travel but also post about it on social media" phase now. I thought she and her bf knew better than this but, ugh.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

annoyingly, though we're on Octopus but didn't get a smart meter yet
tomorrow they're paying customers to use electricity instead of the usual way round. to try to balance usage better

but if anyone here does, it's time to charge your DIY tools and empty the laundry basket backlog

https://www.politico.eu/article/in-covid-19-britain-it-pays-to-run-your-washing-machine-on-sunday-afternoon/

quote:

In order to prevent grid instability, Octopus Energy, which buys power generated from renewables on the wholesale market, made its customers an usual offer this Friday — the company will pay people to use power.

"We will pay over 100,000 of our customers with smart meters to run the dishwasher, use their oven or watch TV this weekend," Octopus CEO Greg Jackson told POLITICO. "If they were to charge an electric car, for instance, they'd make 35 pence and be able to travel 50 miles, which is great because traveling the same distance in a petrol car you'd pay about £6 to fuel up."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1264150654932713473?s=20

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Half Life - Weatherspoons VR looks lit.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Just heard a radio bump where they changed the words to Stayin' Alive to Stayin' Alert.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I'm staying alert on a bowl of bolognese pasta.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Rondette posted:

What’s a polite amount to pay for a mask? Fiver each or is that being cheap?

Asking for myself :v:

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 23, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

theres been like 4 crashe on roads near me already today. everyone going out on their holidays now coronavirus is defeated i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Went out for the bin and outside felt like pre-Covid days with people strolling around and increased car traffic.

The buses are definitely more crowded today and TfL is introducing the payments&tapping back which can only mean mission accomplished.