Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

It's a movie where you get to see Chris Hemsworth beat a dude up using another dude as a weapon River City Ransom style, it earns its right to exist on that alone

Fair point. I REGRET THE INCLUSION OF EXTRACTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Did you know there was a Christian streaming service called PureFlix? It’s pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK1BI8exoYA

I appreciate that just as they’re about to make the (totally nuts) premise concrete the trailer becomes a series of random scenes before ending abruptly on what I guess they thought was a joke.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
lol literal white savior

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

blast0rama posted:

Add THE OLD GUARD to the pile with EXTRACTION, 6 UNDERGROUND, and SPENCER CONFIDENTIAL in the lexicon of Netflix action movies that look like a real movie, act like a real movie, but don't really feel like a real movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK-X2d0lJ_s

This is based on a comic series, which is really more about its own premise than a "plot" tbh so i'm curious as to how they will make it a 2 hour movie

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm no sure how "being immortal" is a skillset.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
They're after the immortal's DNA presumably so they can sell it or take over the world or something.

Just give them some blood samples? Or establish a non-profit philanthropic organization and say you found this weird blood from a mosquito fossilized in amber.

These Immortals seem like the bad guys.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pk_TBkihU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't you get it? Living forever is totally a curse. People who die from avoidable accidents and children from horrible diseases don't know how lucky they are.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can't wait to watch this on blu ray in the comforts of my own home.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

Don't you get it? Living forever is totally a curse. People who die from avoidable accidents and children from horrible diseases don't know how lucky they are.

I would understand the ideal to be "you get a full, happy life that eventually ends" and that both living forever and dying young/avoidably go against this ideal

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

"COMING TO THEATERS" with no release date was pretty good :lol:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I think all Christopher Nolan films are worth watching in theaters so I look forward to Tenet coming out in 2022.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't know what the gently caress I just watched, but I'm in. Not in the theater though, gently caress that noise. I'll wait for the PVOD.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AngryBooch posted:

I think all Christopher Nolan films are worth watching in theaters so I look forward to Tenet coming out in 2022.

https://twitter.com/scottwamplerbmd/status/1263321739666186240?s=21

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

GrandpaPants posted:

I’ll find a drive in for this!

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

So since Doctor Strange took the city-folding from Inception and cranked it to 11, Tenet is taking the final fight scene of Doctor Strange and doing the same?

I'm in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GrandpaPants posted:

:same:

This doesn't look good enough to risk going to a theater during a pandemic for.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I saw the first 12 minutes of Tenet in IMAX before whatever I last saw in IMAX months ago, and my rear end in a top hat was clenched shut from tension the entire time. I'd compare it to the bank heist scene from Heat.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 22, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dillbag posted:

I saw the first 12 minutes of Tenet in IMAX befofe whatever I last saw in IMAX months ago, and my rear end in a top hat was clenched shut from tension the entire time. I'd compare it to the bank heist scene from Heat.

It's easily one of the most tense things i've ever seen in a theater. The IMAX sound system had a lot to do with that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have 10” speakers on my tv setup already, but maybe it’s time to add a sub...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have 10” speakers on my tv setup already, but maybe it’s time to add a sub...
As someone who added a sub like 6 months ago, add a sub.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean I love Nolan so I'll see Tenet (in my home) but ... that trailer sucked. Like it was more of an extended detail-less teaser. Worse than the actual teaser.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All I can think of is the time-bullshit in Homestuck.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rageaholic posted:

As someone who added a sub like 6 months ago, add a sub.

Wish I still had my 15” bass cab. Altho I saw the new pup cowering under the table today after doing some testing out of a new bass, maybe I need to hold off until he’s accustomed to the rumble.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dillbag posted:

I saw the first 12 minutes of Tenet in IMAX before whatever I last saw in IMAX months ago, and my rear end in a top hat was clenched shut from tension the entire time. I'd compare it to the bank heist scene from Heat.

Oh yeah, I remember that from when we had... movie theaters.

That made me really want to see it, so I guess it is pointless for me to watch the new trailer. So yes, I'm going to make the comment that I choose not to watch a trailer in the trailer thread. Foolish marketing department, you already sold me on the movie!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I mean I love Nolan so I'll see Tenet (in my home) but ... that trailer sucked. Like it was more of an extended detail-less teaser. Worse than the actual teaser.

Neither of them have done anything for me besides make me think "I think I can see a rad movie somewhere in there."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AngryBooch posted:

They're after the immortal's DNA presumably so they can sell it or take over the world or something.

Just give them some blood samples? Or establish a non-profit philanthropic organization and say you found this weird blood from a mosquito fossilized in amber.

These Immortals seem like the bad guys.

I love how these movies always have the villain's big plan on what to do when they obtain immortality is to build an army of supersoldiers. Instead of just selling it, and obtaining an eternal life of luxury beyond their wildest dreams.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

Neither of them have done anything for me besides make me think "I think I can see a rad movie somewhere in there."

yea this is me. I'm not sure what's going on but it looks pretty cool doing it, so I'm intrigued at least.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

The more they show of whatever the hell time inversion is the less it makes sense and the more confused I get.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wendell posted:

Did you know there was a Christian streaming service called PureFlix? It’s pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK1BI8exoYA

I appreciate that just as they’re about to make the (totally nuts) premise concrete the trailer becomes a series of random scenes before ending abruptly on what I guess they thought was a joke.

Is pastor even a thing you vote on?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The more they show of whatever the hell time inversion is the less it makes sense and the more confused I get.

Yeah this is what bothers me. Usually teaser is kinda cool stuff and then trailer gets a little more narrative.

This just felt like... it got way more confusing. And not because they tried to tell too much but because they just threw in some random poo poo. As someone else on the internet said... "where the hell is the through line?" the trailer just literally makes no sense.

Now as I mentioned it's Nolan and as feedmyleg said there's a cool movie in there so I'm def intrigued. But just as trailer-craft that one was really bad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe they're trying to keep the plot under wraps. Or maybe they had narrative trailers and they just didn't work so they just threw a bunch of action against the wall to keep the energy up.

Or maybe the plot is bad.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
nolan wrote it himself so the plot is almost certainly awful

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My guess is the gas masks they're wearing allow them to move forward in time while things are moving backward in time. Whatever the case, I'm up for Nolan playing with time in all of his previous films.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Or maybe the plot is bad.

This is actually my fear. My first reaction was that it was to keep the secret under wraps, but ... it's just so bad that instead I feel like the secret just plain probably doesn't make sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't that kind of Nolan's shtick? He's notoriously secretive about the plots to his films.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The Prestige is still his best film, but I'm excited about camp Robert Pattinson hopefully chewing up the scenery.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't that kind of Nolan's shtick? He's notoriously secretive about the plots to his films.

hes one of the few directors where you can watch the whole trailer without getting the full plot point by point. i respect that

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Carthag Tuek posted:

hes one of the few directors where you can watch the whole trailer without getting the full plot point by point. i respect that

Nah. Kiimo probably can give more insight but Nolan’s trailer dude (is it the same guy) follows almost the same formula for all his movies. His trailers have this 1-2-3 act where each one expands on the previous one. I posted about before. Not sure if it was this thread, though.

Oh hey found my post in the old thread:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nolan trailers always seem to follow the same 3-step pattern.

Trailer 1 - The Teaser:
Dark Knight, Inception, Dark Knight Rises
Trailer 2 - The Story:
Trailer 3 - This will get your rear end in the theater, it'll also be kinda spoilery

And they're all loving awesome.

By the third trailer you can generally start putting the movie together and has more of the bigger set pieces/climax moments sprinkled in.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea thats fair & theyre extremely formulaic for sure

tbh i dont like the movies as much as the trailers. i mean the movies are fine, but the trailers open a whole world for you