Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Lol'd a bit when Clark forgot Madi had a life before they met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Inspector 34 posted:

Lol'd a bit when Clark forgot Madi had a life before they met.

yeah that was seriously weird. "but I'm your mom even though you only call me clarke!" :rolleyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They built a farmhouse?

What?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wouldn't Maddie know that the flame isn't in her anymore? sure the bad heda guy is gone now, but wouldn't she sense that none of them are there anymore?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

They built a farmhouse?

What?

Russell built it for his wife.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I couldn't stay focused or interested in that episode. I guess I'm out. This is the final season, right?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I was hoping Sheidheda the evil commander was in the dog

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Russell built it for his wife.

Okay I must have missed that.

Still dumb though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of laughed how this episode takes place directly after the previous season finale and Maddie is now like two feet taller.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of laughed how this episode takes place directly after the previous season finale and Maddie is now like two feet taller.

The Flame was stunting her growth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would be real funny if everything goes like Clarke wants it and Russell/Shadeheada just die the next day.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Initial thoughts on the first episode:
  • Echo's immediate response to a loving ghost showing up: shooting it with a gun. She's truly become a part of the gang.
  • Really glad Indra's showing up more. She's been criminally underutilized over the past few seasons, and her character - the tough-as-nails realist who tries to avoid being outright cruel about it - is a desperately needed counterbalance to everyone else's insane bloodthirst. I also appreciate how they've given her and Gaia more interactions and backstory; it always felt weird how perfunctory their relationship was over the past couple seasons.
  • Clarke being all, "It's our responsibility to fix Sanctum," is some hilarious foreshadowing at how badly everything's gonna gently caress up. Like, man, Clarke, when has your crew ever been known to make the surrounding world better?
  • I love how the writers have managed to cram four groups that have every reason to loathe eachother into the tiny-rear end Sanctum set. This is the epitome of a powder keg, and it's a perfect setup for an entire season's worth of backstabbing.
  • Love seeing how much Murphy's rubbed off on Raven over the years, to the point where she's the one who has to push him into doing the thing that'll markedly improve his own position in the world.
  • There's something really hilarious about seeing Indra, Gaia, and Clarke dressed in their finest Mad Max wear sitting around an 18th century farmhouse table sipping soup from clay bowls.
  • I can't wait to see Hope, Gabriel, and Echo's further battles with the Putty Patrol. I seriously want to know what kind of wacky twist they've got in store for this whole subplot.
  • God, I adore how Clarke tries so goddamn hard to keep up her Mother Theresa act for the entire episode and then loving snaps like a violin string at the end.
Really strong start and I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of the season.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Clarke standing in front of the burning palace essentially saying "off with his head!" was great

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I appreciate that instead of spending a whole season on it like each one before, this time they've fast-tracked the inevitable and Clarke only needed one episode to come to the decision that more killing is the answer.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
To be fair, after multiple seasons, it’s kinda the norm. Clarke simply has come to realize the lot of life. If you can’t live without killing, then embrace the killing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vermain posted:

Initial thoughts on the first episode:
  • Echo's immediate response to a loving ghost showing up: shooting it with a gun. She's truly become a part of the gang.
  • Really glad Indra's showing up more. She's been criminally underutilized over the past few seasons, and her character - the tough-as-nails realist who tries to avoid being outright cruel about it - is a desperately needed counterbalance to everyone else's insane bloodthirst. I also appreciate how they've given her and Gaia more interactions and backstory; it always felt weird how perfunctory their relationship was over the past couple seasons.
  • Clarke being all, "It's our responsibility to fix Sanctum," is some hilarious foreshadowing at how badly everything's gonna gently caress up. Like, man, Clarke, when has your crew ever been known to make the surrounding world better?
  • I love how the writers have managed to cram four groups that have every reason to loathe eachother into the tiny-rear end Sanctum set. This is the epitome of a powder keg, and it's a perfect setup for an entire season's worth of backstabbing.
  • Love seeing how much Murphy's rubbed off on Raven over the years, to the point where she's the one who has to push him into doing the thing that'll markedly improve his own position in the world.
  • There's something really hilarious about seeing Indra, Gaia, and Clarke dressed in their finest Mad Max wear sitting around an 18th century farmhouse table sipping soup from clay bowls.
  • I can't wait to see Hope, Gabriel, and Echo's further battles with the Putty Patrol. I seriously want to know what kind of wacky twist they've got in store for this whole subplot.
  • God, I adore how Clarke tries so goddamn hard to keep up her Mother Theresa act for the entire episode and then loving snaps like a violin string at the end.
Really strong start and I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of the season.

Agreed on all points. Also loved "There;s too many people." "Good thing A.L.I.E.'s not here." I hope they spend some time on the culture clash of the different societies especially the prisoners, who have essentially woken up from our modern world and have no frame of reference to understand these people who are from the future.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stargate: The 100

Not sure that having a whole episode about the anomaly as the second episode of the season is great for pacing. At least they gave a lot more information about Eligius 3, who the disciples are, etc

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

For a few minutes there I thought they had cracked open an entire multiverse for Clarke to massacre. A not-Stargate network of planets ain't bad though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That was an interesting episode of an entirely different show...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Given how unlikable they've made Octavia, and what I'm assuming is scheduling difficulties with Diyoza, I reckon it was pretty much the only option they had available.

That little Erica Cera cameo does make it more obvious though that this whole "First Commander" plot is just what they did with their ALIE plotline after she was cast in Deadly Class or whatever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That memory device sure was fragile as gently caress. Also big lol at how Octavia is now 17 years older than she was at the start of the series and looks exactly the same.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno what the deal is but I'm finding this season majorly boring. Past seasons had flaws but they were never boring. Hoping this is just a product of the longer season and things start to ramp up soon.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I thought the first episode was fine and set up a lot of good stuff on with both the Sanctum and Anomoly plots. This episode was just eh though.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Any Diyoza centered episode is fine with me, she's the best character on the show.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

CeeJee posted:

Any Diyoza centered episode is fine with me, she's the best character on the show.

Out of everyone she definitely has the weirdest life, and that's saying something for the 100.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Walrus posted:

I dunno what the deal is but I'm finding this season majorly boring. Past seasons had flaws but they were never boring. Hoping this is just a product of the longer season and things start to ramp up soon.

Stakes and plot are — for the first time in The 100— unclear. Last episode tons of people have a conflict over something I barely remember from last season. Hard cut to this episode taking place in an entirely different show and being about something with a 0% relation to that other thing we just watched.

Like maybe want to pick your main story show? It's only your final season. :shrug:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Stakes and plot are — for the first time in The 100— unclear. Last episode tons of people have a conflict over something I barely remember from last season. Hard cut to this episode taking place in an entirely different show and being about something with a 0% relation to that other thing we just watched.

Like maybe want to pick your main story show? It's only your final season. :shrug:

I'm thinking they really want to develop the time travel mythology here, so that the spin-off prequel has a lot of room to play.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Walrus posted:

It's boring. Past season was a huge disappointment after the season 5 finale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah. Seasons 6 and 7 have been so much better than four or five. God five was terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope the backdoor pilot is Clarke going back in time and starting the war.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Rhyno posted:

I hope the backdoor pilot is Clarke going back in time and starting the war.

Genghis Clarke reached the end of the game and is starting her second loop?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only other option is to time travel to season 5 and pit her against herself.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What if they're stealth-rebooting Defiance

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Rhyno posted:

The only other option is to time travel to season 5 and pit her against herself.

Alien vs Predator movies getting confusing.

Whoever wins, we lose still works as a tagline though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They'll figure out a way to shoehorn in the signature Vancouver forest into the prequel series. I'll be upset if they don't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder how many Stargate writers are working on this now.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If Stargate has taught me anything, then Skyring's proximity to the blackhole should make time there move slower.

Like, the time dilation should be the other way around where one day on Skyring should be several years on Planet Alpha.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

xerxus posted:

If Stargate has taught me anything, then Skyring's proximity to the blackhole should make time there move slower.

Like, the time dilation should be the other way around where one day on Skyring should be several years on Planet Alpha.

Skyring is located farther from the black hole than Sanctum, not the other way around. They probably should have mentioned the fact that time runs slow as gently caress on Sanctum compared to the rest of the universe at some point early on, but since everyone was in hypersleep for the trip I guess no one knew.

Of course none of this actually makes sense. Wouldn't you have to be in orbit around a black hole to experience time dilation? Just being in the same galactic neighborhood shouldn't do poo poo.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
There was a mention of how long they'd kept one of those motorcycles operational on Sanctum in the last season, and I'm pretty sure it was a number of years that matches up with how many Earth years it's been since the first apocalypse (the pre-Clarke apocalypse). I'd have to go back and check, to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah. Seasons 6 and 7 have been so much better than four or five. God five was terrible.

I thought season 5 was fine so long as you bought Olivia's story beats. The only season I really disliked before 7 was the one with the militaristic dude that came down to take over the ark survivors (3?), but even that season had a lot of cool parts, I just had a lot of trouble buying Belamy's motivation.

Season 6 was ok, not as good as I would have hoped but I enjoyed it - Josephine was a great character and this season is missing her already. I think that poster hit it on the head when they said this is the first time where the goals have not been immediately clear (it's 'build a society' in the big picture but that's always been the goal). Right now it just feels like it's treading water so again, I hope these first few eps are just moving things into their place for an epic finale.

I think it's also fallen victim to its own trope of constant escalations and paradigm shifts. That was a huge part of what made the show for me but I still think it's a mistake to be introducing so much new mythology in the final season of the show. Spinoff prep is a very good guess I bet.