Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

jivjov posted:

I circle back to Organa or Solo fitting much better with her character journey, with Organa tying back to her Jedi teacher she spent more than 3 days with, or Solo for her space trucker dad-figure or her literal soulmate Ben.

Because this is the last movie of the Skywalker saga. Which is about the Skywalkers. She took the title Skywalker to honor the Skywalkers on whom these movies have focused.

quote:

Edit: Much like a lot of TRoS, her taking the Skywalker name is something to please the audience

I mean, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hazo posted:

Because this is the last movie of the Skywalker saga. Which is about the Skywalkers. She took the title Skywalker to honor the Skywalkers on whom these movies have focused.

Exactly! It has meaning to the audience, with the meta weight of knowing the events of the last 50 years are titled "the Skywalker saga". Those words have zero meaning to Rey.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She knows about it immediately in the force awakens

(It being the Skywalker name)

That’s a good point re Mando and adoption. God it’s a good show. There is also the adoption of waititi Bot in the last two episodes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Rey knows the Skywalker surname. She knows people exist named Skywalker. She doesn't know what "the Skywalker saga" is. She doesn't have any personal connection to that surname. She spent 3 kinda crappy days with an old crotchety man with that surname. She takes on the name to provoke an audience response, not because Rey as a character has attachments to that name.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She cites the entire Skywalker saga in TLJ

She knows who luke is in TFA also .

It’s true she has no personal connection before Ach too, but does later and (mostly offscreen) during her training with Leia and turn away from Ben. Remember she leaves Luke in a huff to turn Ben and realizes that was impossible and Luke was right then of course heard about Luke saving the day at Hoth 2.0

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It would have been so much better if the storyline was Luke/Rey realizing that the Jedi sucked and starting a new group of good force users called Skywalkers that are in touch with their feelings rather than shutting them out.

Of course, that would have required a completely different TROS and also a fair amount of changes to TLJ (though it would make the title of TLJ more poignant), but there was always zero percent chance of that happening because Disney is a massive empire that has a lot of money invested in children (and manchildren) wanting to be Jedi.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

She cites the entire Skywalker saga in TLJ

She knows who luke is in TFA also .

And is also squatting at the old Skywalker place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

It would have been so much better if the storyline was Luke/Rey realizing that the Jedi sucked and starting a new group of good force users called Skywalkers that are in touch with their feelings rather than shutting them out.

Of course, that would have required a completely different TROS and also a fair amount of changes to TLJ (though it would make the title of TLJ more poignant), but there was always zero percent chance of that happening because Disney is a massive empire that has a lot of money invested in children (and manchildren) wanting to be Jedi.

I honestly thought they could have gone that way at the end of TLJ. Yeah. Maybe Should have. Star Trek into darkness gets into some of these themes so I thought maybe JJ could get there

Tying it into the TV show mandolorian : it’s refreshing to have a SW setting that seems to be absent (so far ?) of the galactic good / evil dichotomy and we get to really just be with characters as humans that are good and bad and it’s not political

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She just said her name was Skywalker cause she saw Luke and Leia watching all expectantly and didn't want to make them feel bad

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think this was on some level what they were going for, using Skywalker as a title like Darth or Ren. But like you said, for that to be clearer would have required so many things in the ST to be better executed.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 22, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also Rey could have just meant it that one time in a highly emotional personal funeral for Leia and Luke and not thereafter use the name

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

jivjov posted:

Adoption into a family is great. Here in the mando thread of all places that's really clear, Din was saved by Mandos and adopted their creed and the clan adopted him. He's activity as an adoptive parent to The Child. There's a lot of great adoption stuff in Star Wars. Rey is a grown woman. Not a child needing care. And why would she unilaterally adopt herself into that family anyway? The one person she met with that surname she didn't get along with very well at all. I circle back to Organa or Solo fitting much better with her character journey, with Organa tying back to her Jedi teacher she spent more than 3 days with, or Solo for her space trucker dad-figure or her literal soulmate Ben.

Edit: Much like a lot of TRoS, her taking the Skywalker name is something to please the audience, not something that fits in with the character's journey thus far.

I think it was an episode of Chapo Trap House that first pointed out to me that no major character sin Star Wars have any relation to their birth parents. Luke and Leia never meet their mom and dad, Han is apparently "solo", The droids don't have families, Rey and Fin both grew up without parents, the jedi don't have parents, the Sith don't have parents, and Anakin leaves his mom when he's 9.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Skipping over Anakin there is uh .. questionable

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Padme's parents actually actually in the films and even out-live her, which I didn't know until I looked them up just then.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Padme's parents actually actually in the films and even out-live her, which I didn't know until I looked them up just then.

I mean are they really "in the films" then? I just rewatched the entire Prequel trilogy and have no idea when or how they are portrayed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean are they really "in the films" then? I just rewatched the entire Prequel trilogy and have no idea when or how they are portrayed.

Yeah that's kinda what I meant. Unlike those other characters she could have an actual relationship with her parents since they are still alive and present, we just never see it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rey who?

Rey... Palpatine. Sorry. In sorry Luke, I really appreciate our relationship but that's my family. In taking the name back

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How do you parent a child who was... elected to be queen of an entire planet... and is only 14?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Bust Rodd posted:

They were in some deleted scenes in AOTC and appear briefly at her funeral in ROTS, so yeah, they don't have much of a presence in the final versions of the films.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She just said her name was Skywalker cause she saw Luke and Leia watching all expectantly and didn't want to make them feel bad

Someone please edit this scene and audio to have her say her name is Rey Gravestones, Rey Eopie poo poo Pile or Rey Moisture Vaporator.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Bust Rodd posted:

Luke and Leia never meet their [...] dad

:psyduck:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Rey who?

Rey... Palpatine. Sorry. In sorry Luke, I really appreciate our relationship but that's my family. In taking the name back

old woman: what’s your name?
rey: rey.
lukes ghost smiles
rey: rey... palpatine
luke’s ghost: what the f-
*smash cut to credits*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My name is Rey... Tear... Griffin!

Ah, drat it

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Walks into thread: So about the Mandalorian S2..

(Stares at the the TROS talk)

God... dammit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm just going to come out and say it:

When The Prisoner started, I was immediately and baselessly hopeful that the place the Razor Crest landed was going to end up being the Errant Venture and the old dude would be Booster Terrik.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I didn't expect much from episode 9, but I was disappointed that Rey was being set up as a Jedi who would fight with some kind of lightsaber staff (either two-bladed like Maul or a polearm) and instead we just got another laser-sword... Even her evil version got a double blade!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

brocked posted:

I didn't expect much from episode 9, but I was disappointed that Rey was being set up as a Jedi who would fight with some kind of lightsaber staff (either two-bladed like Maul or a polearm) and instead we just got another laser-sword... Even her evil version got a double blade!

Had Trevorrow directed ep9, we likely would've gotten Rey with a double-bladed saber as per the concept art:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Trevorrow's Ep9 looks so loving badass in those concepts, but then I remember that Star Wars concept art always look loving badass. That's the entire point of concept art. Sadly there would probably be as many people complaining about Duel of the Fates as there are who complain about every other PT or ST movie until the end of time.

Re: Rey's double-bladed light saber - the implications of her using her staff to create her sentinel saber strongly point to her being able to wield it like a polearm if she were to reconnect it to her staff. Lightsaber polearms are fresh and dope.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AndyElusive posted:

Re: Rey's double-bladed light saber - the implications of her using her staff to create her sentinel saber strongly point to her being able to wield it like a polearm if she were to reconnect it to her staff. Lightsaber polearms are fresh and dope.

A scene of Rey welding the blade emitter from Anakin's now broken saber hilt onto the end of her quarterstaff, essentially making it into a saberstaff like this:

That would have been great. But instead she just repaired Anakin's saber hilt in between films because Rey in TROS was unfortunately relegated to merely be a vessel for nostalgia. And that's a shame.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

oh what could have been

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

You can read the Duel of the Fates script online guys. There are some good moments in there, but it has just as many if not more problems as Rise of Skywalker does.

Pros:
Some good main trio interaction/action (Ultimately about the same type we got in TRoS)
Return to Coruscant
Trooper rebellion more fleshed out and better handled than TRoS
Rose given more to do
Rey is still a no one, and Solana is a pretty good last name for her

Cons:
Pretty much every other plot beat
Kylo killed Rey's parents?
Another previously unknown main baddie trains Kylo in a Sith magic, that Kylo uses to then kill him in the next scene?
Hux seppuku?
Jedi beacon under the temple that the Empire never removed that the FO can't stop for reasons?
Lando even less relevant than TRoS, even though his plot action is basically the same

And DotF was the first script they did? I think by the time they left, they were on version 4, which apparently didn't even resemble the first draft very much. And all those were still also before the necessary Carrie re-writes.

But anyway, so how about that Mandalorian show?...

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 22, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hux killing himself with a lightsaber is actually great because he's got a huge collection of lightsabers from dead Jedi and really, desperately wishes he has the Force. Kylo walks in on him trying to use the Force to pull a lightsaber to him at one point. He's a pathetic space Nazi.

Also the script literally says "Hux realizes he has lost the star wars."

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 22, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Doesn't the Trevorrow script heavily push a Rey/Poe romantic relationship, to the point where their characters almost literally became the Scruffy Male/Prissy Female leads of Jurrassic World?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yes, the Poe/Rey meeting scene at the end of TLJ was requested by Trevorrow to set up that angle.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sirs, this is a Mandalorian thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't have a black guy and a white woman be together. All Finn can do is shout Rey and nothing else.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
after Rey repaired Luke's lightsaber the blade should have been wobbly and weird like Kylo's was, but blue :colbert:

symbology

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bring back old gbs posted:

after Rey repaired Luke's lightsaber the blade should have been wobbly and weird like Kylo's was, but blue :colbert:

But then you end up with

https://i.imgur.com/VjdlWH8.gifv

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s bonkers how genre defining Star Wars 7-9 had the capacity to be if only a few knobs were tweaked and twisted. It feels so close to being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sora should have showed up and given Rey a keyblade