Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's also the only way to see exactly what skill things like the dlc accessories give you without looking them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zvahl posted:

it's also the only way to see exactly what skill things like the dlc accessories give you without looking them up

What? You can hit R2 when equipping accessories to see what effect they have. Or wait, are you talking about the actual skill names?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Finally made it to the Third Semester on my NG+, it is a loving CRIME that Akechi's stint as navigator is so short. Every line is incredible.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ahaha those cheeky bastards

You can play darts with Akechi in November and get rank 3 but you have to play 2 rounds of 701 :lol:

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I hope now that Royal has been out here we get some news on Scramble soon. I had hopes we could possibly get it this summer about 6 months later than the JP release but that looks impossible now. Seems like a big mistake to not release it before PS5.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Ahaha those cheeky bastards

You can play darts with Akechi in November and get rank 3 but you have to play 2 rounds of 701 :lol:

I had a hard time getting anything other than bullseyes after I figured out what the game wanted to do, and the only reason to get anything other than bullseyes is to max rank in one go-round so your partner can finish the round, which can't happen in 701, it was easier to do the 701 than it was to get two people from 1-3 at once, since loving ryuji kept asking to play instead of ann :argh:

ChaosArgate posted:

What? You can hit R2 when equipping accessories to see what effect they have. Or wait, are you talking about the actual skill names?

I was talking about the skill names, I didn't know about R2, but I stopped doing it after I checked out what all the new dlc accessories did :x

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Finished last night. Dated the new girl because hey - new girl. They do push her on you super hard in the new semester. People always say it's sketchy to date Futaba because of her recent, and newly resolved trauma, but somehow dating the girl who until 5 minutes ago had been spending the last several months (few years?) pretending to be her own dead sister whom she watched die in front of her is totally fine? Yeah I'm sure she's TOTALLY healed from that trauma and completely ready to be in a healthy relationship.

Weird, man.

After this playthrough - my heart belongs to Tae. Punk Rock Doctor is an aesthetic I am totally down with. I don't disagree with those who say Makoto is best girl, but Dr. Let-Me-Give-You-A-Special-Exam still wins out, for me. What can I say? "Punk Rock Girl - you look so wild - let's have a child - we'll name her Minnie Pearl - yeah you're for me, Punk Rock Girl"

At any rate - loved Royal. All the QoL improvements were crazy good, the reworking of certain Palace areas / minibosses were all good. The Okumura boss fight was annoying, but as pointed out several times in the thread - Merciless difficulty solves that problem. I liked Merciless so much I left it on the rest of the game. The ability to insta-kill any Shadow which shows up as green under Third Eye, by simply sprinting into it is just about the best thing EVER. That made Palaces and more importantly - Mementos - WAY less tedious. Darts upgrading Baton Pass was a great and very noticeable difference. Pool was sorta boring. Jazz Club was great for picking up some top-tier skills. Trader Sakai was a fun little diversion, as are the Strength confidant hangouts.

Is there a trophy for filling out the compendium this time around? I noticed a few of the Trophies from vanilla are now just Thieves Den upgrades or whatever. I have everything but Satanael fused, but if there's no trophy, I dunno if I will bother with ng+ right now. Persona games are LONG, man.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

There’s no trophy for compendium completion. Its a Den challenge now, but you definitely do not need to bother if you just want trophies.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ToxicToast posted:

I hope now that Royal has been out here we get some news on Scramble soon. I had hopes we could possibly get it this summer about 6 months later than the JP release but that looks impossible now. Seems like a big mistake to not release it before PS5.

I mean they released Persona 4 in 2008 after the PS3 had been out for years, I don't think they're too worried about punctuality. The next gen of consoles will probably have a slow uptake as well comparatively because of.... events so I suspect the current consoles will continue to be supported for a long time.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HaB posted:

Finished last night. Dated the new girl because hey - new girl. They do push her on you super hard in the new semester. People always say it's sketchy to date Futaba because of her recent, and newly resolved trauma, but somehow dating the girl who until 5 minutes ago had been spending the last several months (few years?) pretending to be her own dead sister whom she watched die in front of her is totally fine? Yeah I'm sure she's TOTALLY healed from that trauma and completely ready to be in a healthy relationship.

Weird, man.

After this playthrough - my heart belongs to Tae. Punk Rock Doctor is an aesthetic I am totally down with. I don't disagree with those who say Makoto is best girl, but Dr. Let-Me-Give-You-A-Special-Exam still wins out, for me. What can I say? "Punk Rock Girl - you look so wild - let's have a child - we'll name her Minnie Pearl - yeah you're for me, Punk Rock Girl"

At any rate - loved Royal. All the QoL improvements were crazy good, the reworking of certain Palace areas / minibosses were all good. The Okumura boss fight was annoying, but as pointed out several times in the thread - Merciless difficulty solves that problem. I liked Merciless so much I left it on the rest of the game. The ability to insta-kill any Shadow which shows up as green under Third Eye, by simply sprinting into it is just about the best thing EVER. That made Palaces and more importantly - Mementos - WAY less tedious. Darts upgrading Baton Pass was a great and very noticeable difference. Pool was sorta boring. Jazz Club was great for picking up some top-tier skills. Trader Sakai was a fun little diversion, as are the Strength confidant hangouts.

Is there a trophy for filling out the compendium this time around? I noticed a few of the Trophies from vanilla are now just Thieves Den upgrades or whatever. I have everything but Satanael fused, but if there's no trophy, I dunno if I will bother with ng+ right now. Persona games are LONG, man.

Sure, she’s deeply traumatized and has just barely recovered her sanity, but she’s also a pretty girl completely obsessed with and dependent on a self-insert protagonist. By JRPG and anime logic, that is apparently the best basis to start a relationship.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Geostomp posted:

Sure, she’s deeply traumatized and has just barely recovered her sanity, but she’s also a pretty girl completely obsessed with and dependent on a self-insert protagonist. By JRPG and anime logic, that is apparently the best basis to start a relationship.

She's also the same age as Futaba. :v:

People tend to forget that part.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

AlternateNu posted:

She's also the same age as Futaba. :v:

People tend to forget that part.

I never got why anyone was ever hung up on Futaba's age. MC is 17, that makes Futaba and Yoshizawa both 16. Not sure why that's an issue.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dating Futaba is the most direct route to Sojiro being your dad, the merits of which can't be disputed.

Plus Futaba has her poo poo together by the end for the most part and at her worst never really has any more social anxiety or childish fixations than your average SA poster. Date away, it's anime not real life.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HaB posted:

I never got why anyone was ever hung up on Futaba's age. MC is 17, that makes Futaba and Yoshizawa both 16. Not sure why that's an issue.

It's the little sister coding, I'm sure.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dawgstar posted:

It's the little sister coding, I'm sure.

Also, Sojiro specifically asks you not to date her.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And then immediately changes his mind and says it wouldn't be that bad.

Haru is best anyways. If only because her rejection is the worst, and in the third semester basically volunteers to off Akechi if he fucks up.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
true salvation can only come from rejection of all teenagers and the comfort of the dateless loser's brunch

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
being badly socialized and traumatized has never stopped teenagers from loving at any point in history, kinda seems pointless to try and put that lid on that now.

i don't even get the sister thing, is it just because everyone sees Sojiro as protagonist's dad? i kind of found that weird too.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Sojiro is the Hierophant. His card evens says "le pape."

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

TheLoser posted:

Sojiro is the Hierophant. His card evens says "le pape."

Pape in French stands for “pope” so it’s not really like a surrogate dad. Unless you quite literally interpret a holy man as “father” in a family way I guess

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Deified Data posted:

Dating Futaba is the most direct route to Sojiro being your dad, the merits of which can't be disputed.

Maxing out his S-Link already has Sojiro being your dad, dating someone else just gets him an additional weirdo child, for extra value.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Forgive me, father, for I have sinned. I talked about video games on the internet.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Grow the best coffee with Haru and Sojiro will accept you as family just the same.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

YaketySass posted:

Grow the best coffee with Haru and Sojiro will accept you as family just the same.

Haru's big money coffee chain is going to drive Sojiro out of business

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

arisu posted:

Haru's big money coffee chain is going to drive Sojiro out of business

I get the pretty strong impression Leblanc is already money-negative and Sojiro has some government hush money or something he's just burning through running it as therapy. I'm not sure it's possible to drive him out of business.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Ultiville posted:

I get the pretty strong impression Leblanc is already money-negative and Sojiro has some government hush money or something he's just burning through running it as therapy. I'm not sure it's possible to drive him out of business.

Guess that's true. He's also fueling Futaba's server equipment. Guy's got dirty money somehwere.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

There's no way Sojiro isn't running Leblanc as a quiet post-retirement thing to give himself something to do during the day.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

There's no way Sojiro isn't running Leblanc as a quiet post-retirement thing to give himself something to do during the day.

He flat out says he only cares about it having enough cash to not completely go under so he can use it as his escape from all the Shido-related crap.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sojiro flat out says during his social link that he got some money for retiring from government work as well as some manner of inheritance from Wakabe, presumably he was in her will. However he gave up a bunch of it to Futaba's uncle to get him to transfer custody of Futaba to him, and he jokes several times about Leblanc not exactly being a cash cow. So yeah most likely his shop is running in the red and he's making up the difference with his remaining government funds/pension.

Also it's never outright stated but I kinda got the sense from his dialogue that part of his "retirement" money was functionally hush money in exchange for him loving off and not prying into Wakabe's death.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Also it's never outright stated but I kinda got the sense from his dialogue that part of his "retirement" money was functionally hush money in exchange for him loving off and not prying into Wakabe's death.

Same here. I am sure the saner members of the conspiracy were quite happy that when it was getting geared up he just hosed off by himself and all but vanish.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Does this game get better after a few hours? I’m only at the point where you meet morgana in the real world for the first time, and i’m not feeling this game yet. The anime writing, the small restrictive environments, the linear gameplay isn’t appealing to me. But I like the art style and the turn based combat I might like if it gets deep enough.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

Does this game get better after a few hours? I’m only at the point where you meet morgana in the real world for the first time, and i’m not feeling this game yet. The anime writing, the small restrictive environments, the linear gameplay isn’t appealing to me. But I like the art style and the turn based combat I might like if it gets deep enough.

I'd say so, especially since you haven't even gotten to the real gameplay loop yet. Are you going to like or love it? Can't say to that, but I love the Persona day-to-day gameplay and I don't think you've really experienced that yet.

Also the story is about to way ramp up where you're at.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would hesitate to say the combat ever gets particularly deep. But yes the intro does go on forever and and isn't super indicative of the meat of the game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Even if Sojiro’s deep in the red, he’s got a genius programmer for a daughter. The girl made a best selling game app on a whim and gave it away just because she didn’t feel like dealing with the paperwork required to patent and sell it. She’s going to have him set up for the rest of his life when she grows up enough to handle signing papers.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Saying Futaba is "basically" the MC's sister is very weird. Yeah, she's like a sister that you did not know existed until you were seventeen and who doesn't live with you and who was raised by a different family and who isn't related to you in any way and who doesn't know anything about your actual real family. If you were to actually think of a comparable Futaba/Ren relationship, like both of their parents are friends and so they are friends by association, or MC's an exchange student and Futaba is part of his foster family, you'd realize oops people in those sort of situations date literally all the time

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Futaba's social link of Joker helping her to get used to living a normal life is very cute and I think most of the "Futaba is your sister" stuff comes from him acting like her older brother. It also shows clearly to me that she's nowhere near ready to date anyone, especially him. I mean, her confession scene has her wondering about if her blushing and having an increased heartrate around Joker means she's going to be ill.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How does Idaten's Belt work? I can't find any explanations anywhere and when I equip it I don't notice any auto-Masuku effect.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Frog Act posted:

How does Idaten's Belt work? I can't find any explanations anywhere and when I equip it I don't notice any auto-Masuku effect.

The auto-abilities are just there, you don't see a visual cue. If you try casting a buff or heal spell that targets an ally, you should be able to see their hit/evasion is marked as "up".

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

arisu posted:

The auto-abilities are just there, you don't see a visual cue. If you try casting a buff or heal spell that targets an ally, you should be able to see their hit/evasion is marked as "up".

Cool thanks

Game has become pretty easy by now in Futabas palace but I have a burning desire to build an actual really good persona WITHOUT abusing the DLC and it’s making me realize my current line up is a pretty random mish mash even though I’ve managed to mostly eliminate redundancy and cover all my attack type bases

I guess I need to spend some time in mementos gathering persona I don’t have so I can max the strength confidant through very specific fusions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Frog Act posted:

Game has become pretty easy by now in Futabas palace but I have a burning desire to build an actual really good persona WITHOUT abusing the DLC and it’s making me realize my current line up is a pretty random mish mash even though I’ve managed to mostly eliminate redundancy and cover all my attack type bases

If you're looking for an entry-level absolute monster Persona, Seth has One-Shot Kill and Gun Amp. White Rider has Triple Down and Gun Boost, so if you can pass those over to any of Seth's fusion parts you're set for a LONG time. Apt Pupil boosts crit rate and can be gotten in skill card form by doing a Hold Up on Andras, which is a really good one to duplicate from Yusuke. Some vanity skills would be Attack Master, Life Aid, Speed Master, and Charge. I used basically this exact build in my first playthrough and didn't have to fuse Personas again until the middle of the Seventh palace.