Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

pc master race stuff is dumb lol. i was thinking about it the other day and this hobby in 2020 is about as necessary as RC airplane flying.

its just fun to tinker with things and make numbers go up. or play the thing on the higher setting, or spending hours trying to play the old thing on the old settings.

its fun to engineer and troubleshoot solutions to things that are enjoyable w other ppl. hell, half the time consoles come up ITT it seems to be wrt fixing them in the same way we'd a computer.

its also fun to watch some of the bridges gap between console etc- both in terms of hardware capability (and the implications of every house having such a powerful unit to do things on generally) but also i think a lot of the pc vs console stuff will disappear as things become more hardware \ OS agnostic (pls accelerate this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My Meshify C system is pretty quiet, mostly you hear the GPU under load. Also I had my CPU fan installed backwards for an entire year (so it was pushing against 2x140mm Noctua intakes, rather than over the heat sink and out the exhaust) with no ill effects besides a bruised ego.

It's even quieter and cooler now that I fixed it :shobon:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Is there a thread or anything for silly RGB bullshit? I want that maximum technicolor vomit, all the time

Built a new PC recently and by default the CPU cooler and the RAM came with RGB bullshit, but I need more of it, it's not sufficiently stupid or hilarious yet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I want to encode the outside and case and CPU temperatures, my number of unread emails, the amount of time until my next meeting, all sorts of stuff into case light patterns. Give me all the embeddings.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

pc master race stuff is dumb lol. i was thinking about it the other day and this hobby in 2020 is about as necessary as RC airplane flying.

its just fun to tinker with things and make numbers go up. or play the thing on the higher setting, or spending hours trying to play the old thing on the old settings.

its fun to engineer and troubleshoot solutions to things that are enjoyable w other ppl. hell, half the time consoles come up ITT it seems to be wrt fixing them in the same way we'd a computer.

its also fun to watch some of the bridges gap between console etc- both in terms of hardware capability (and the implications of every house having such a powerful unit to do things on generally) but also i think a lot of the pc vs console stuff will disappear as things become more hardware \ OS agnostic (pls accelerate this)

I honestly have probably spent more time tweaking settings and benchmarking in the last week than playing games and it’s a blast. It’s like a puzzle and I love it. Just did a custom fan curve for my blower 2070S today and it’s loud as hell but my performance is way up (and I usually play with earcans on anyway) and I was grinning the whole time.

Hell, still waiting on my dual 7800GTXs to come in so I can make my retro computer and dick around with that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I honestly have probably spent more time tweaking settings and benchmarking in the last week than playing games and it’s a blast. It’s like a puzzle and I love it. Just did a custom fan curve for my blower 2070S today and it’s loud as hell but my performance is way up (and I usually play with earcans on anyway) and I was grinning the whole time.

Hell, still waiting on my dual 7800GTXs to come in so I can make my retro computer and dick around with that.

If you haven't seen it...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
GPUs and CPUs just need massive tower coolers with vents and blow horizontally out of the case. Bring back MXM GPUs that can sit co-planar with the main board and have a massive rear end tower cooler on it blowing right out the case. Or if you have to keep the boards 90deg with a PCIe slot have the cooler be 4/5/6 slots deep on an ITX board.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 21, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I haven’t watched that video yet but I once bolted a second PSU to the side of my computer, which is possibly the most terrible computer mod ever. drat thing even looked like Frankenstein.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 22, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have a HAF 912 case and for years I’ve had nothing but one red illuminated case fan in the front panel, accompanying the power light. It’s tasteful, yet boring.

I used to hate this stuff when people pulled out their power tools to drill holes in their case and stick a green aftermarket bulb in there, but now that the components themselves have lights it’s great. I’ll buy the first motherboard that has illuminated circuit board traces.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As someone who has spent more hours in a machine shop than I care to admit, I do not desire mere quietness for my computers, I want silence but am not yet ready to shell out the cash for an entirely passively-cooled rig just yet. Ask again in a few years.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As someone who has spent more hours in a machine shop than I care to admit, I do not desire mere quietness for my computers, I want silence but am not yet ready to shell out the cash for an entirely passively-cooled rig just yet. Ask again in a few years.

I also have spent years in a machine shop (single point lathe) and my fractal case with corsair/EVGA AIO coolers is completely quiet to my ears.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I’m thinking semi-seriously about putting my pc on a top shelf down in the basement and running display cables and an Active USB extension up through the wall.

Unfortunately NVIDIA has no GSync Over HDMI or even Adaptive Sync Over HDMI and the 3 meter max length of DisplayPort is already pushing it, and 3m cables running at full speed are already on the finicky side. And there are no HDMI VRR gaming monitors yet either.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’m thinking semi-seriously about putting my pc on a top shelf down in the basement and running display cables and an Active USB extension up through the wall.

Unfortunately NVIDIA has no GSync Over HDMI or even Adaptive Sync Over HDMI and the 3 meter max length of DisplayPort is already pushing it, and 3m cables running at full speed are already on the finicky side. And there are no HDMI VRR gaming monitors yet either.

Use a PC in your subfloor as a repeater (set it up like a streaming capture PC) and you'll get 6 meters max.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

How muchc can you get from a Linus setup where he ran Thunderbolt from his racked PC to a Thunderbolt hub and then plugs that into his computer or monitor. I doubt those come with HDMI 2.1 ports, but there's probably workable DP support.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Can't you just use an active DisplayPort repeater? Do they not work with G-Sync?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-102039-DisplayPort-Repeater/dp/B07D949F59

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Make your own silent computer like this god of DIY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaoFh1DH51U

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That's a cool loving desk.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VelociBacon posted:

Use a PC in your subfloor as a repeater (set it up like a streaming capture PC) and you'll get 6 meters max.

Or instead of a PC, one of those high-end KVM switches Wendell produces would probably do it. Pretty much guaranteed to lose gsync/adaptive sync though.

ufarn posted:

How muchc can you get from a Linus setup where he ran Thunderbolt from his racked PC to a Thunderbolt hub and then plugs that into his computer or monitor. I doubt those come with HDMI 2.1 ports, but there's probably workable DP support.

That's an interesting idea too. Thunderbolt is an easy (if expensive) solution since they make Active Optical Fiber. You can get cables up to 30 meters or some poo poo. However, they have a reputation for making GBS threads out after a year or so, and currently the main manufacturer (Corning) only makes TB2 cables. They cost around $300 for a 10 meter cable. Another company just came out with a TB3 version, and last I checked those were around $900. (edit: there is now another for $600!)

I was vaguely feeling out the idea for VR so I could put the PC in another room/in the basement, run Thunderbolt to the Vive Wireless Adapter pcie card in a TB3-PCIe enclosure, and have a completely clear playspace (shoving a pc in the closet is peasant talk). Kinda too expensive for now though.

I wonder if Adaptive Sync or Gsync work over Thunderbolt in the first place let alone the hub. But there are also some monitors that take Thunderbolt input directly which would work.

repiv posted:

Can't you just use an active DisplayPort repeater? Do they not work with G-Sync?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-102039-DisplayPort-Repeater/dp/B07D949F59

I actually didn't know those existed but that's the easy/cheap solution if it works with G-Sync or Adaptive Sync.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 22, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually didn't know those existed but that's the easy/cheap solution if it works with G-Sync or Adaptive Sync.

I know next to nothing about Thunderbolt, but with those active displayport extenders my guess is that G-sync and freesync are not going to work. I pulled up the company pages for the extenders, and they make a point of emphasizing the directional nature of them - input one side, output the other. This makes think it isn't a bidirectional link, so the GPU wouldn't be getting feedback from the display.

The product pages list manuals and datasheets but they aren't links and don't appear to be accessible.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Shaocaholica posted:

GPUs and CPUs just need massive tower coolers with vents and blow horizontally out of the case. Bring back MXM GPUs that can sit co-planar with the main board and have a massive rear end tower cooler on it blowing right out the case. Or if you have to keep the boards 90deg with a PCIe slot have the cooler be 4/5/6 slots deep on an ITX board.

I don't disagree but you'll still need power connectors sticking out on those MXM cards so plenty of cabling to disrupt that straight through cooling ideal. Unless you mean 75W or less.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Seamonster posted:

I don't disagree but you'll still need power connectors sticking out on those MXM cards so plenty of cabling to disrupt that straight through cooling ideal. Unless you mean 75W or less.

Routing 1000w of power to not be in the way of airflow isn’t hard if you’re already breaking standards. I’m talking about MXM verbatim. You could rotate a PCIe connector 90deg too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This makes think it isn't a bidirectional link, so the GPU wouldn't be getting feedback from the display.

They can obviously only pass the main video stream one way but they must support the auxiliary bidirectional stream, it's required for EDID metadata, HDCP handshakes, etc.

It's just a question of whether NV built the G-Sync protocol on top of that standard auxiliary stream or did something weird that the repeater ASIC won't understand.

for 20bux it's worth a shot

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you are ok with running wires and cables through the floor and walls, why not just build a custom loop water cooler and stick the radiator and pump in the basement instead. At most you would need some dead silent ~300 RPM 120mm case fans in a mostly mesh case to keep the motherboard/vrms comfortable.

(Disclaimer: I've actually done that before and it performed better and quieter than any other cooling solution I've had. A 360x40MM radiator with 300 CFM worth of 40mm thick delta server fans on it, you could feel the air moving from 12 feet away but the fans weren't even that loud and it kept that C2D system at like 40C peak load temps. In the room directly above you couldn't hear it at all, complete silence. Powered everything with a 12v brick from an old dead LCD monitor, actually still have the power brick too, the monitor died like two decades ago but the brick can still spin up a 6 pack of fans with no problem at all.)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Indiana_Krom posted:

If you are ok with running wires and cables through the floor and walls, why not just build a custom loop water cooler and stick the radiator and pump in the basement instead. At most you would need some dead silent ~300 RPM 120mm case fans in a mostly mesh case to keep the motherboard/vrms comfortable.

(Disclaimer: I've actually done that before and it performed better and quieter than any other cooling solution I've had. A 360x40MM radiator with 300 CFM worth of 40mm thick delta server fans on it, you could feel the air moving from 12 feet away but the fans weren't even that loud and it kept that C2D system at like 40C peak load temps. In the room directly above you couldn't hear it at all, complete silence. Powered everything with a 12v brick from an old dead LCD monitor, actually still have the power brick too, the monitor died like two decades ago but the brick can still spin up a 6 pack of fans with no problem at all.)

mostly because coil whine is still a thing

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

So basically this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=646s

VelociBacon posted:

I also have spent years in a machine shop (single point lathe) and my fractal case with corsair/EVGA AIO coolers is completely quiet to my ears.

No, no fan noise. It's a CNC machine shop, and the drone of industrial 120mm-200mm fans are aggravating to me now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

mostly because coil whine is still a thing

+ Chipset fans

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

oh poo poo, basically yeah

I'll watch that tomorrow and see if there's any relevant tips, Gsync/Adaptive Sync is really the major hurdle that I see conceptually, not sure if he addressed that

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'll watch that tomorrow and see if there's any relevant tips, Gsync/Adaptive Sync is really the major hurdle that I see conceptually, not sure if he addressed that

Yes. Also yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshXgisNly4&t=879s

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's optical Thunderbolt 2, and somehow Corning has just hosed off for years and years since then and never done a thunderbolt 3 variation. Next best thing I guess would be both an optical DisplayPort and optical USB 3, you can get those but the optical USB that I got from Monoprice had some issues and a webcam wouldn't function on it because I think there was a voltage drop on the power-carrying copper that follows the optical.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

That's optical Thunderbolt 2, and somehow Corning has just hosed off for years and years since then and never done a thunderbolt 3 variation. Next best thing I guess would be both an optical DisplayPort and optical USB 3, you can get those but the optical USB that I got from Monoprice had some issues and a webcam wouldn't function on it because I think there was a voltage drop on the power-carrying copper that follows the optical.

Like I said, (within the last 6 months - these are new on the market) a couple other brands have stepped in, the prices just make Corning TB2 cables look positively affordable. Forget paying $70 for some SAS cable or QSFP thing, I'm talking paying $600-900 for a cable here.

http://tekram.com/thunderbolt-3-industrial-cable-10-meter/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1522226-REG/areca_cb_tb3l20_thunderbolt_3_optical_cable.html

http://tekram.com/thunderbolt-3-industrial-optical-cable-30-meter/

edit: the other other thing is someday I'd like to get a 38" 1600p 175 Hz monitor like a LG 38GL950G, or maybe a Gsync Compatible equivalent, and that really needs DP 1.4 on the hub and Thunderbolt 3.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 22, 2020

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I haven’t watched that video yet but I once bolted a second PSU to the side of my computer, which is possibly the most terrible computer mod ever. drat thing even looked like Frankenstein.

That's Frankenstein's mod sir!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can also apparently just run 3m of PCI-E extensions. This would kind of defeat the purpose if you end up with the GPU in the room you want to keep quiet but it does open up more options https://youtu.be/q5xvwPa3r7M

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Rgb is for children

Never understood the fascination with having bright basic colour lights on hardware, like it comes from the infant section of toys r us

To me it's one of the more bizarre aspects of the hobby

What do you mean you don't like RGB?

https://i.imgur.com/pq36ysD.mp4

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any word on new cards from nvidia or Amd yet? I’m looking to upgrade my 1070 but I’m not sure what to get or if I should wait

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
My computer is in my room, and it's not uncommon that I have a download going and leave my computer on overnight.

I would prefer to not have a disco light show going while I am trying to sleep.

Ideally my computer will have no extraneous lights, and make little to no sound.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

jisforjosh posted:

What do you mean you don't like RGB?

https://i.imgur.com/pq36ysD.mp4

lol i appreciate v much that this is a gif

the reverse channel out out the back of the tower puts the same light pattern as the walls in star wars almost

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Statutory Ape posted:

lol i appreciate v much that this is a gif

the reverse channel out out the back of the tower puts the same light pattern as the walls in star wars almost

Yeah I love that bit about this case lol

I usually don't have it in unicorn vomit mode but I had to

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

gilljoy posted:

Any word on new cards from nvidia or Amd yet? I’m looking to upgrade my 1070 but I’m not sure what to get or if I should wait

Nvidia will probably be something like September/October/November (my money is later). Nothing announced yet, but the rumors and other signs seem to be pointing there.

For most people I'd say wait, though it depends on how much video gaming you'll be doing in the Summer of Roni.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So far, the expectation is August announcement with, probably, a September release.

But who knows about anything these days, there's still time for the global economy to crash further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

Or instead of a PC, one of those high-end KVM switches Wendell produces would probably do it. Pretty much guaranteed to lose gsync/adaptive sync though.

I wouldn't be so sure. There are numerous reports on reddit and such of KVM switches much cheaper than that which work with GSync. That said, it doesn't make any mention of whether it's simply passing through the signal without modification (and hence without power boost), or whether it's repeating the signal and thus likely able to give you a few extra meters of usable distance.