Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The_Franz posted:

You mean the 50 year old goth teenager.

I figured I was lowballing, but jeez. I forget that show's almost 20 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Boomers love Lawrence Whelk. LOVE.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I have watched the Lawrence Welk show a time or two.They also love Green Acres and Hee Haw and westerns. Dear God do they love Westerns. You'd think they would've gotten tired it.

Their obsession with westerns is like our obsession with comic book superhero movies except everyone's super power was shooting a gun.

Boomers like to believe in water divination with welding rods from my experience.

Boomers like to believe in old wives' tales, home remedies, and other such things in an age where you could look up any information you could ever want to know and when you show them the truth, they soon forget it/choose to live in their own reality and continue the belief.

Boomers love calling cicadas "locusts."

Boomers like to drench their joints in isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 22, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 30 year old goth teenager finally quit the show because his untrained pit bulls kept attacking her

According to Google it was because Harmon was physically abusive towards her because she wanted the dogs gone after it chewed up a staff members face. So yeah, boomer fan material is an abusive piece of poo poo who can't train his dogs right, shocking.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Haifisch posted:

It never occurs to them that not everyone is interested in the milestones of home ownership/getting married/having kids, either. The idea that people don't all want to follow a single life path is completely alien to them.

the entire edifice of normative psychology, education and development is still based on milestones, the milestones themselves are gradually changing but there is still a strong sense even among young people that one "should" be something at a certain age. it's worse with boomers though because their milestones are entirely based on personal wealth and aggrandizement

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Musket posted:

Boomers love Lawrence Whelk. LOVE.

Boomers might not remember but he got pissed when some kids tricked his people into letting them perform "One Toke Over the Line". Personally, I thought it was a highlight.

On a related note, all the Woodstock memeology is reminding me the same people trying to claim everything outlaw are also the biggest cop-kissers.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

mind the walrus posted:

Boomers in general love to measure by milestone and not by context.

You're in your 30s and you don't have a house? You must be the problem. Even when the story is the same across the majority people the problem must be "well your generation is messing up" and never ever "the housing market is hosed beyond repair."

Some part of this is related to the idea that acknowledging what’s going on would require the obvious question of “why?”

Why can’t young people afford homes? Why can’t younger people afford children. Etc. and the answer is directly related to them I.e. they spent 30-40 years selling out every public service and good to private companies, outsourcing everything to Mexico and China, busting unions, militarizing the police and on and on. But none of them want to reconcile decades of selfIsh one-dimensional political behavior with the reality of now.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mister Olympus posted:

In a Christian context maybe but Islam has the story like that from the start

Lucifer is the angel who is cast down, Satan is basically God's prosecuting attorney. Both of them eventually get smushed together into the generic "devil" role as time goes by

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I feel that Jack Chick tracts kept the embers of the D&D Satanic panic burning until at least the early 2000s.

But it honestly doesn't seem like it ever truly went away. It just mutated. Things are dumber than ever.

I don't even remember how it happened, but my roommate once got weirdly offended and angry when I commented that my belief was that the devil was just something people made up to have an excuse why they're an rear end in a top hat. SO yeah, some people still believe that there is a physical embodiment of evil out there making people do bad things.

Unperson_47 posted:

I have watched the Lawrence Welk show a time or two.They also love Green Acres and Hee Haw and westerns. Dear God do they love Westerns. You'd think they would've gotten tired it.

Their obsession with westerns is like our obsession with comic book superhero movies except everyone's super power was shooting a gun.

Boomers like to believe in water divination with welding rods from my experience.

Boomers like to believe in old wives' tales, home remedies, and other such things in an age where you could look up any information you could ever want to know and when you show them the truth, they soon forget it/choose to live in their own reality and continue the belief.

Boomers love calling cicadas "locusts."

Boomers like to drench their joints in isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

This actually sounds like Silents IMHO. Also westerns can be really good, sorry. It's John Wayne and his type of westerns that suck.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't even remember how it happened, but my roommate once got weirdly offended and angry when I commented that my belief was that the devil was just something people made up to have an excuse why they're an rear end in a top hat. SO yeah, some people still believe that there is a physical embodiment of evil out there making people do bad things.

This actually sounds like Silents IMHO. Also westerns can be really good, sorry. It's John Wayne and his type of westerns that suck.

You have to watch the right John Wayne westerns. Check out anything directed by John Ford or Howard Hawks.

McLintock is peak Boomer John Wayne western though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Westerns are just kind of one of those specific genres that takes over a medium, like tabletop RPGs and D&D knockoffs, in this case for convenience because compared to other genre movies they're super cheap and easy to make.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mister Olympus posted:

In a Christian context maybe but Islam has the story like that from the start

Wow, I had no idea.

Iron Crowned posted:

Also westerns can be really good, sorry.

The only good westerns were better in their original form as samurai movies. :colbert:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

PeterCat posted:

You have to watch the right John Wayne westerns.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LabyaMynora posted:

The only good westerns were better in their original form as samurai movies. :colbert:

:hai:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

Or are pisstakes made 30 years after the "Golden Age" pointing out what a crock of poo poo the Boomer Western Fantasy was.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

mind the walrus posted:

Or are pisstakes made 30 years after the "Golden Age" pointing out what a crock of poo poo the Boomer Western Fantasy was.

Thanks for reminding me I still need to show my girlfriend Blazing Saddles.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Westerns are just kind of one of those specific genres that takes over a medium, like tabletop RPGs and D&D knockoffs, in this case for convenience because compared to other genre movies they're super cheap and easy to make.

half the westerns made today use the Deadwood set with different camera angels and im guessing the Deadwood set was something else before

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Have you ever read Entertaining Ourselves To Death?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No genre before or after has taken over the media the way Westerns did. In 1958 there were 4 channels and 50 Westerns between them.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 30 year old goth teenager finally quit the show because his untrained pit bulls kept attacking her

Pauley Perrette left NCIS in 2018 and was born in 1969. She was 49

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its amusing ourselves to death

postmans main argument is that the medium is the message and tv is inimical to democracy and deep thinking and poo poo by virtue of the form of the thing and the edits and the screeniness meaning one focus on a specific pov and stuff like that, but statistical amounts of content matter too. its not that yadda yadda peeps learn violence, its that the amount of violence on tv and all other fiction, incl poo poo postman likes, skews peeps impressions of how much violence there is in the world so they turn buttfuck paranoid

i mean, the amount of violence in stories basically hasnt changed since the greek heroic age and the mosaic age where as far as we could tell like a third of men did die early in violence so that was perfectly accurate. but we have not had one lick of modernity in this aspect, todays blockbusters have similar death rates to the odyssey and the iliad while todays reality does not

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 22, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its amusing ourselves to death

postmans main argument is that the medium is the message and tv is inimical to democracy and deep thinking and poo poo by virtue of the form of the thing and the edits and the screeniness meaning one focus on a specific pov and stuff like that, but statistical amounts of content matter too. its not that yadda yadda peeps learn violence, its that the amount of violence on tv and all other fiction, incl poo poo postman likes, skews peeps impressions of how much violence there is in the world so they turn buttfuck paranoid

i mean, the amount of violence in stories basically hasnt changed since the greek heroic age and the mosaic age where as far as we could tell like a third of men did die early in violence so that was perfectly accurate. but we have not had one lick of modernity in this aspect, todays blockbusters have similar death rates to the odyssey and the iliad while todays reality does not

Millennials are too lazy to commit real violence so they do all of it their video games instead!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
internet is a dynamic medium tho and it really constructively is dynamic- sa is materially different from twitter in a way that postman and mcluhan would recognize. long threads w memory and a coherent argument going on vs poo poo that peeps have to jury rig together. ordering done by time and poo poo vs opaque mechanized system of credit assignment. :10bux: making botting economically impossible vs botting being easy as poo poo.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Every bit of Boomer mythos can be summed up in Westerns.

If there is is a law man, he is a well liked local who will do anything to help you, for you are in the right.

Any strangers are likely out to steal from you, and have bad intentions. You can tell by how they look.

You have to have a gun for yourself. If you are unarmed, you are looking for strangers to come in and take what is yours. If the town has a llaw against being armed, its inviting bandits to take it over in a moment.

You earned your place in the world with hard work, I don't need no meddling government to tell me how to plant crops/mine/cut lumber/hunt/raise cattle.

The Government is there to ride to your rescue and kill the savages that threaten you.

My father did it this way and I did it this way, so I dont need no fancy learning!

Im sure Im missing some

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no black peeps mostly

a quarter of cowboys were black because peeps were less racist in rural areas back then (seriously)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 22, 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

winterwerefox posted:

If there is is a law man, he is a well liked local who will do anything to help you, for you are in the right.

Any strangers are likely out to steal from you, and have bad intentions. You can tell by how they look.

You have to have a gun for yourself. If you are unarmed, you are looking for strangers to come in and take what is yours. If the town has a llaw against being armed, its inviting bandits to take it over in a moment.

You earned your place in the world with hard work, I don't need no meddling government to tell me how to plant crops/mine/cut lumber/hunt/raise cattle.

The Government is there to ride to your rescue and kill the savages that threaten you.

My father did it this way and I did it this way, so I dont need no fancy learning!

Im sure Im missing some

Only white people as far as the eye can see.

No blacks or Latinos or Asians, and any natives you see are out to kill you for the crime of being white!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Any minorities that do show up move on to someplace else or back to their homes before long. They are only there for a very special episode. If they are a long term character, they are subservient and a form of comedic relief. (Hop Sing in Bonanza)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

winterwerefox posted:

Im sure Im missing some

Holy poo poo this is shockingly apt

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

That's why I kinda wanna show my parents the Red Dead Redemption games.

I talked to my parents about old west and they seem to be in that boomer camp of "the squeaky clean wild west of 50s television"

RDR is one of those titles that like , no thats bullshit, everyone was racist, america committed genocide and crimes against citizens, most people were miserable.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Peckinpah is where its at for westerns.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hihohe posted:

That's why I kinda wanna show my parents the Red Dead Redemption games.

I talked to my parents about old west and they seem to be in that boomer camp of "the squeaky clean wild west of 50s television"

RDR is one of those titles that like , no thats bullshit, everyone was racist, america committed genocide and crimes against citizens, most people were miserable.

thats just a video game though its not hpw things really were

youre not breaking a 50 year long spell with one of those grand thefts car games

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 22, 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

20 Blunts posted:

Peckinpah is where its at for westerns.

"Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia" is a western, fight me. :colbert:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BigDave posted:

Wait. Who would fight you on that? It obviously is.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

PipHelix posted:

Nope.

Anyone want to make this a thread where everyone takes turns asking me if I read something, one book at-a-time and I say, "Nope," 'cuz I've probably only read, like, 50 books in my life?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I have watched every episode of The Rifleman, I must admit.

Starring....Chuck Connorrrsss!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BigDave posted:

Because it takes place in 1970s Mexico? :shrug:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

LabyaMynora posted:

Nope.

Anyone want to make this a thread where everyone takes turns asking me if I read something, one book at-a-time and I say, "Nope," 'cuz I've probably only read, like, 50 books in my life?

Have you read cat in the hat

Robo Reagan posted:

thats just a video game though its not hpw things really were

youre not breaking a 50 year long spell with one of those grand thefts car games

Yeah i just really want to see their reaction to more modern depictions of frontier era America that isnt ," White Sheriff of small town good. No, we dont talk about the Indians we took this land from brutally"

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 22, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LabyaMynora posted:

Nope.

the lead brains is coming from within the thread

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Hihohe posted:

Have you read cat in the hat

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

PipHelix posted:

Do you mean Amusing Ourselves to Death? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/74034.Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death

For content: boomers love the word precious particularly when applied to children or moments.