Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

The garbage disposal isn't supposed to be your first option. It's there as a last resort for when you gently caress up and don't get to the dishes in time and have to soak things that will then end up going down the drain. I got it drilled into my head at an early age that you try not to use the garbage disposal if you can help it. It's the "I hosed up and clogged the drain with weird cheesy pasta bits" switch, or possibly "I thought there was nothing but broth left in that bowl, oops".

I assume our kitchen sink and therefore disposal goes to the septic tank just like everything else. But I also live somewhere that only recently got trash pickup, so my experience is not universal.

I mean if it's there but you're not supposed to use it, just use a filter thingie that sits in the drain to catch the odd noodle or mini-wheat that was hiding in the milk. Me, I fire that sucker up and we go to town. Bones, peach pits, I feed it anything and everything. Except grounds from my French press, I feel like that would clog up the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Except grounds from my French press, I feel like that would clog up the drain.

you are correct

coffee grounds are also good for compost/gardening. however they can be pretty acidic, and some plants like acidic soil more than others so it depends what you are growing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Coffee grounds don’t do anything to soil acidity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's the "I hosed up and clogged the drain with weird cheesy pasta bits" switch, or possibly "I thought there was nothing but broth left in that bowl, oops".
Do your sinks just have, like, an open hole at the bottom with no strainer to stop big chunks of stuff from going down? If so, do you often lose cutlery down there? If not, how do you clog the drain? If I accidentally left some food on a plate and then tried to wash it, the big chunks of food would just sit there. Maybe block the plug hole, but only until I picked them up and threw them in the bin. There's absolutely no danger of a clog and no need for a weird mulcher thingy in the plug hole.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What’s a good car product to get rid of scratches from a car’s exterior?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

TV Zombie posted:

What’s a good car product to get rid of scratches from a car’s exterior?

elbow grease

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Tiggum posted:

Do your sinks just have, like, an open hole at the bottom with no strainer to stop big chunks of stuff from going down? If so, do you often lose cutlery down there? If not, how do you clog the drain? If I accidentally left some food on a plate and then tried to wash it, the big chunks of food would just sit there. Maybe block the plug hole, but only until I picked them up and threw them in the bin. There's absolutely no danger of a clog and no need for a weird mulcher thingy in the plug hole.

The side of the sink without a disposal has a strainer, but it doesn't work very well so we try not to actually use that side. The strainer itself gets stopped up with the smallest amount of anything, and then the sink ends up full of dirty water so you can't see anything, and in the process of trying to pull the strainer out just enough to drain the water so you can see stuff ends up slipping out past the strainer and clogging up the whole thing and it's a mess.

Cutlery and other small items can end up in the disposal so those get put on the strainer side. Or else you just end up with chewed up cutlery sometimes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was going through my junk folder this morning and saw that there was a password request from Blizzard that I didn't ask for. I went to their website and changed my password to be safe, then a minute later I got a barrage of emails from them tell me that I had requested a few other password changes/verification codes.

What is the best thing to do in this situation? I changed my email password and requested that my (empty and unused) Blizzard account be deleted, but now I'm pretty worried about my security...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

the process of trying to pull the strainer out
So there is just a hole the size of the pipe? What I was talking about was something like this:

Every single plug hole in my house - sink, trough, shower - has one of these built in. Anything that's small enough to go through that is not going to clog any pipes and anything that gets caught by it is big enough to just pick up. This is the same in every house I've ever lived in.

Or is this like toilets where there's just something about American plumbing that makes it clog super easily?

Professor Shark posted:

I was going through my junk folder this morning and saw that there was a password request from Blizzard that I didn't ask for. I went to their website and changed my password to be safe, then a minute later I got a barrage of emails from them tell me that I had requested a few other password changes/verification codes.

What is the best thing to do in this situation? I changed my email password and requested that my (empty and unused) Blizzard account be deleted, but now I'm pretty worried about my security...
It's probably just someone who forgot their user name and thinks they had yours. Or they're entering your email address instead of their own because it's off by one character or something.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
My girlfriend has one of those common/simple email addresses that most people would have to add a number to the back off. She receives a barrage of personal email, invoices and bank notes, as well as website registration confirmations and password reset requests.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's probably just someone who forgot their user name and thinks they had yours. Or they're entering your email address instead of their own because it's off by one character or something.

Does the chain of events support that? I saw that a verification had been requested a couple days ago without my knowledge, so I went in and changed my password to be safe, then within a few minutes I got emails telling me that several requests to change my email had been submitted... that tells me that someone was using my account

Edit: There was one additional password change request that I did not make and two attempts to log into Blizzard that I did not make following my changing my password

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 21, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

Does the chain of events support that? I saw that a verification had been requested a couple days ago without my knowledge, so I went in and changed my password to be safe, then within a few minutes I got emails telling me that several requests to change my email had been submitted... that tells me that someone was using my account

Edit: There was one additional password change request that I did not make and two attempts to log into Blizzard that I did not make following my changing my password

https://account.blizzard.com/security#recent-activity

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

thotsky posted:

My girlfriend has one of those common/simple email addresses that most people would have to add a number to the back off. She receives a barrage of personal email, invoices and bank notes, as well as website registration confirmations and password reset requests.

Same here, I'm following the ordeals of a guy in London who really likes airsoft and PUA things, and some lady in SoCal who signs up for any sort of "hot item daily deal" you'd see on Pinterest

Professor Shark posted:

You can 2FA your Blizzard account

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

Did you go to the Blizzard website directly, or did you click the link in the email to get to it?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

thotsky posted:

Yeah, I know. That goes in a special food waste bag for recycling. Why would you flush that down the drain? It's great biofuel; don't make the water treatment plant sort it for you.

The city I live in collects compostables and then puts them through the machines at the water treatment plant, so putting food scraps down the drain has a smaller environmental footprint.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Did you go to the Blizzard website directly, or did you click the link in the email to get to it?

I went to the website, I never use links in emails.

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can 2FA your Blizzard account

They moved pretty quick on my request to delete the account, it's now inaccessible. I'm just worried about my security outside of Blizzard now :shrug:

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Professor Shark posted:

I went to the website, I never use links in emails.

They moved pretty quick on my request to delete the account, it's now inaccessible. I'm just worried about my security outside of Blizzard now :shrug:

Run an AV scan and Malware bytes on your computer
Download Keepass.
Generate new passwords for all your email accounts
Likewise new security questions
Check and set recovery email addresses for all accounts
Enable 2FA wherever possible

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Moo the cow posted:

Run an AV scan and Malware bytes on your computer
Download Keepass.
Generate new passwords for all your email accounts
Likewise new security questions
Check and set recovery email addresses for all accounts
Enable 2FA wherever possible

Also, consider a chastity belt

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, consider a chastity belt

If you have a legit concern that russians are accessing your genitals without your permission, yes.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Every single plug hole in my house - sink, trough, shower - has one of these built in. Anything that's small enough to go through that is not going to clog any pipes and anything that gets caught by it is big enough to just pick up. This is the same in every house I've ever lived in.

Or is this like toilets where there's just something about American plumbing that makes it clog super easily?

This is a weird series of images to google but I'm not taking pictures of my own sink so instead I'm going to sift through these results like a weirdo.

This stupid thing is usually in the left side of the kitchen sink, where the garbage disposal isn't. Ostensibly it allows you to choose between having a strainer that's easy to pull out and empty when it clogs, or else you can push it further in to stop up the sink when you need to fill it. In reality it will always stop up the sink. I have never had one of these little bastards do anything but stop up the sink all the time, when I least need it. It barely holds enough of anything to even be a functional strainer, so when you pull it out more stuff falls out of it and drainward. Every time I try to actually use one of these I feel like I've gone black-and-white in an infomercial, trying and failing to perform basic tasks, driving hammers through walls.

These look pretty much like every non-disposal kitchen sink drain I've ever seen. It seems deeper than the picture you posted, which might be relevant, what do I know. Gotta have plenty of room for that horrible strainer thing. I just noticed that they have a strainer next to the spray nozzle. It didn't even register, that's just where you keep it, out of the sink and out of everyone's way. The holes on these drains are the perfect size for getting stopped up with big chunks of things, while still allowing enough smaller detritus through that they can eventually clog up the pipes. Rice... pasta... all this and more will eventually make its way through this terrible drain, although it will probably get stuck first, and in the process of trying to get them out of the drain they'll fall to pieces and go down it instead. Truly, the worst of all possible worlds.

This is the strainer I use in the other side of my sink instead of the metal one that came with it. It works much better, but still gets pretty gross and also necessitates hauling a wet strainer full of glop across the room to the trash can. If I didn't have a garbage disposal it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's easier to just. Not have to do that. And just hit the blendy button instead.

It's like an ice maker, or a removable showerhead. You don't really need it, necessarily, but if you're used to it then you miss it when it's gone.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
it seems like my Facebook feed stopped updating. it's been showing the same posts all day, most of which are "see first," but I've already seen them and it should know that right? it happens regardless of whether I'm in the classic view or new view. anybody know wtf is going on?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

This is the strainer I use in the other side of my sink instead of the metal one that came with it. It works much better, but still gets pretty gross and also necessitates hauling a wet strainer full of glop across the room to the trash can. If I didn't have a garbage disposal it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's easier to just. Not have to do that. And just hit the blendy button instead.

It's like an ice maker, or a removable showerhead. You don't really need it, necessarily, but if you're used to it then you miss it when it's gone.

Move your trashcan closer to the sink.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ancillary Character posted:

Yeah plenty of people do fine with no garbage disposal by keeping the compost or trash close to or under the sink

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there a current CritterQuest thread?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SIHappiness posted:

I do remember playing it at a Sega Gameworks location in the late 90s or early 2000s, so the game is at least that old and you might have luck spotting it in gameworks footage. I've tried googling for it and can't locate the game.

So, you're right, it was Gameworks. Out of ideas, I e-mailed their general inquiry e-mail line and got a reply back from their COO, of all people:

quote:

Yes, the attraction I believe you are referencing is called Vertical Reality. It was a fantastic attraction and we were sad when we had to decommission them. Thank you for the trip down memory lane, have a great long weekend.

Be well, stay safe and healthy.

Darren

So we have our answer. For whatever reason, though, the internet is real thin on information. There's this very amateur video of it in action - it clearly wasn't taken for archival purposes - and some pictures in an old TPA thread. The insane physical requirements mean these must have been scrapped outright. There's plenty of information, and even a few extant examples, on the similarly insane 6-person laserdisc driven room sized Galaxian3. But I can't find a lick of information about this outside of news reports saying "it exists."

Crackwhore Barrel
Mar 10, 2012

I’m looking for the thread where a goon buys some land, buys and renovates a camper to live in while he works on building his real house. He documents almost everything starting with clearing trees with heavy machinery. I think it was about 6-7 years ago. Does anyone remember this?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Ancillary Character posted:

There's literally not a single spot closer to the sink that wouldn't be blocking a cupboard or appliance. Presumably it was designed that way because I have a garbage disposal and don't particularly need to have can access next to the sink. :shrug:

I'm not trying to justify the existence of the garbage disposal as a concept, just explaining when/why I use mine when I do.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Not to labor the point cause it sounds like your kitchen is fine for you but under the sink cabinet is probably the single most common location for a kitchen trash can, do you have an under sink cabinet?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed that sometimes the thumbnail of a video on someone's Facebook page (like a video they uploaded themselves, not one they reshared) is a different aspect ratio than the video when you actually watch it. What's going on here?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

alnilam posted:

Not to labor the point cause it sounds like your kitchen is fine for you but under the sink cabinet is probably the single most common location for a kitchen trash can, do you have an under sink cabinet?

I have never lived in a home where they keep the trashcan under the sink, that's where all the cleaning chemicals go.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's usually enough space for both beneath the sink in all the places I've lived. The wastebucket is attached to the cabinet door.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Boba Pearl posted:

I have never lived in a home where they keep the trashcan under the sink, that's where all the cleaning chemicals go.

one side has the cleaning chemicals and old grocery bags

the other has a lil trash can lined with a grocery bag

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

my grandmas slides out on little rails cause she balls hard

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, the cabinet under the sink is full of cleaning supplies. In theory if they weren't there I could put a small trash can in it instead, but it never really occurred to me to stick my trash in a regular cabinet (as opposed to a dedicated slidey trash-cupboard like owlhawk's ballin' grandma). I assume a smaller trash can just for the kitchen makes more sense when your house is bigger and your kitchen is its own space. A manufactured home is small and the kitchen/dining room/living room/front hall all blur together so it just makes more sense to stick a great big trash can in a central area, instead of sticking a small one in every... activity zone? They aren't really rooms.

I do not know how applicable this information is to the wider proliferation of garbage disposals in the United States, aside from the fact that every house I've been in with a built-in slidey trash cabinet put it too far from the sink and also came with a garbage disposal and wall-mounted microwave by default. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sink garbage disposal things are illegal in some parts of Canada, I've never actually seen one.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

i think the real lesson here is that our needs and the measures we take to meet them vary widely, and that's what makes the world such a diverse and wonderful place

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

This question falls somewhere between an actual question and a rant....

What good is Amazon Prime anymore? I buy about $300-400 worth of stuff from Amazon a month, but it seems like half of it is coming non-prime sellers, so there is no guaranteed 2 day delivery. I check out Amazon prime video and see shows I want to watch, but when I go to watch them, I see they are only available if I have an HBO or Starz subscription. Kind of feels like a bait and switch. Same thing with Amazon music. Tons of free music included with your prime subscription? Lol..nah. If you want to listen to this album, you need to pay for the Amazon music unlimited service.

It just seems like Amazon prime is now just a paid gateway for other paid services.

I guess I'm just asking if anybody feels the same way and if there is any reason I shouldn't cancel Amazon prime because the benefits just aren't what they used to be. Thanks!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Lincoln posted:

Is there a current CritterQuest thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807356

It's the same thread from a few years ago still going.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

It just seems like Amazon prime is now just a paid gateway for other paid services.

I guess I'm just asking if anybody feels the same way and if there is any reason I shouldn't cancel Amazon prime because the benefits just aren't what they used to be. Thanks!

If you don't feel you're getting value for money, trying cancelling your membership and see if notice any material difference? Is there any punishment for cancelling?

Anyhow, personally I've not had the same problem (or at least I didn't until covid made fast delivery no longer possible, but it's still free). Are you going for more and more esoteric crud that you buy? Alternatively, has this only been an issue since the plague descended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If you spend 4-5k yearly on Amazon, that probably puts you in the heady top of 1% of customers, probably higher, so the cost of Amazon Prime should be pretty much a no brainer. Unless there's some really weird shenanigans going on in your purchase habits, the savings on your standard deliveries alone should cover the cost of Prime itself probably several times over. And the speedier delivery is just icing.