Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CPL593H posted:

If you go to another country from the US just tell everyone you're Canadian. Problem solved.

It's weird there are people who don't do this. I even did it when I went to Montreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Ok, the one coronavirus era movie o now want to see is a cannonball run reboot:

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/the-cannonball-run-record-has-been-obliterated

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

If you go to another country from the US just tell everyone you're Canadian. Problem solved.

One of the amusing running gags in my life is that I'm constantly assumed to be Canadian thanks to my weird voice resulting from speech therapy as a kid, all my relatives being from Ohio, and firmly resisting a Southern drawl while living in rural Georgia. Even when I visited England.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

weekly font posted:

It's weird there are people who don't do this. I even did it when I went to Montreal.

Maybe this is my (rapidly diminishing) American privilege talking, but it would hurt my pride to lie about my nationality to avoid conflict.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Most people know that anti-Americanism is gauche and vulgar. For example, as Charles Mudede notes, 83% of Americans think that "reopening the economy" is a bad idea, and 62 percent are strongly against it. So Americans aren't stupid - at least not stupid-stupid, in the sense that the mythical lemming is stupid. Only a tiny fraction of the fraction that are idiots are actually believing their own words and drinking the bleach. (The rest are just grifting eachother in increasingly esoteric rituals of conscious mutual deceit.)

Nah; what non-Americans feel towards their shabby brother is a sort of vicarious embarrassment. It's not so much Trump, because of course Trump is an embarrassment. That's his entire appeal for the bleach set: he's an anthropomorphization of that Judd Apatow joke where the joke is that you're seeing a schlub's flaccid penis. Trump's riddled with mental problems and personality disorders in such a way that you honestly can't even blame him. His entire existence is the mistake of an incompetent god. It's like all those DTV movies where The President Is A Dog?!! or something, except it's absolutely not a cartoon, and it has been going on for like 25 subjective years now.

What's embarrassing is not that the president is a dog(?!!), but that the dominant mode of American politics is to point out that the dog is very bad at his job. "Why, it's downright implausible. Sir, when you sign an important document, you are using a paw covered in ink rather than a pen. And now you're licking the poo poo from your own rear end in a top hat, which is very undignified." Like, America has cleverly determined out that this living nightmare isn't "realistic" - and decided that pointing this out is enough.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Most of the stuff people who don't live in America hate about it is stuff I also hate about America so I don't have an issue being an American in foreign countries, yeah our president loving sucks I agree (though I haven't actually been out of the country since well before Trump was president so I can't give you man on the street impressions of being American overseas)

Also, look at what loving England is doing to itself, and they actually had a functioning social safety net somewhat.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 22, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Most people know that anti-Americanism is gauche and vulgar. For example, as Charles Mudede notes, 83% of Americans think that "reopening the economy" is a bad idea, and 62 percent are strongly against it. So Americans aren't stupid - at least not stupid-stupid, in the sense that the mythical lemming is stupid. Only a tiny fraction of the fraction that are idiots are actually believing their own words and drinking the bleach. (The rest are just grifting eachother in increasingly esoteric rituals of conscious mutual deceit.)

Nah; what non-Americans feel towards their shabby brother is a sort of vicarious embarrassment. It's not so much Trump, because of course Trump is an embarrassment. That's his entire appeal for the bleach set: he's an anthropomorphization of that Judd Apatow joke where the joke is that you're seeing a schlub's flaccid penis. Trump's riddled with mental problems and personality disorders in such a way that you honestly can't even blame him. His entire existence is the mistake of an incompetent god. It's like all those DTV movies where The President Is A Dog?!! or something, except it's absolutely not a cartoon, and it has been going on for like 25 subjective years now.

What's embarrassing is not that the president is a dog(?!!), but that the dominant mode of American politics is to point out that the dog is very bad at his job. "Why, it's downright implausible. Sir, when you sign an important document, you are using a paw covered in ink rather than a pen. And now you're licking the poo poo from your own rear end in a top hat, which is very undignified." Like, America has cleverly determined out that this living nightmare isn't "realistic" - and decided that pointing this out is enough.

I gotta say I actually agree with this entirely.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TrixRabbi posted:

I gotta say I actually agree with this entirely.

The only part that I don't agree with is that it's been going on subjectively for 25 years. It has objectively been waaaaaaay longer than that.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

(The rest are just grifting eachother in increasingly esoteric rituals of conscious mutual deceit.)

lmao this is great

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

The only part that I don't agree with is that it's been going on subjectively for 25 years. It has objectively been waaaaaaay longer than that.

I think he meant it feels like Trump has been President for 25 years.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Or that the differences between Trump and Clinton are extremely minor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Or that the differences between Trump and Clinton are extremely minor

They're both pedophile rapists who love throwing minorities in jail.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
From the two trailers so far it feels like Tenet will have at least 50 setpieces

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Skwirl posted:

I think he meant it feels like Trump has been President for 25 years.

Dog years. Approximate.

I'm talking a lot of stuff, but the main thing is that people come to me like "hey did you hear the dumbassed thing Trump did today?", and I am like no, I don't care. Literally everything he does is bad. It's not news that he's barely functional; he'd gently caress up smiling at a nun. Can we call a bird stupid for flying?

As I said, it doesn't work to point poo poo out because this quarter-some American know that they're stupid. The handshake of the not-so-alt right is to say things that are impossibly dumb with unwavering confidence, and to nod when they are said to you. It's a variation on speaking in tongues: the only message is that it's happening at all. In another respect, it's a power-display: "I can defile myself, and nothing will stop me. This is a luxury that I enjoy." What you actually need is to catch Trump in concreteness, because that's the only type of criticism that's remotely interesting. Let's talk about his neomercantilism, and stick with that for a long, long time. If you get distracted by whatever's the new covfefe, turn your mind back to the neomercantilism. Just dry, boring numbers. I don't mean that this'll change anyone's mind, but it'll be a true relief for yours.

Anyways, it's the movie influence talking, but you can draw a direct link between this failure in American politics and the viewership of Cinemasins. There's this fantasy that, if we just list things that we find perplexing, they'll lose their power over us and automatically go away. Rather than promoting literacy, this approach promotes the "turn off your brain", because it teaches that 'thinking' only engenders confusion.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
YTotD strictly for the vibes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSORFI2XzU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Maybe this is my (rapidly diminishing) American privilege talking, but it would hurt my pride to lie about my nationality to avoid conflict.

I did a lot of traveling before and after November 2016 and after the first "So Trump, huh?" conversation I was pretty over it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just figured out what movie needs to happen as soon as they can start filming movies again.

A Judd Apatow remake of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Seth Rogen as Rosencrantz (or Guildenstern) and Audrey Plaza as Guildenstern (or Rosencrantz).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Skwirl posted:

I just figured out what movie needs to happen as soon as they can start filming movies again.

A Judd Apatow remake of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Seth Rogen as Rosencrantz (or Guildenstern) and Audrey Plaza as Guildenstern (or Rosencrantz).

no thank you. I think I get why you came to this conclusion but I feel like the tightness of the script would not mesh with the improv stuff that Apatow likes to do (not to mention that Apatow almost exclusively doesn't do adaptations).

now, if Judd Apatow were to find some other movie with a couple of side-players he could expand upon, that might be interesting. Don't adapt the work but the mindset that led to the work.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Catfishenfuego posted:

No one gives a gently caress if you're American unless you're in like, a country the USA is actively bombing. The worst things that's going to happen to you is a trump joke or some german dude with a bowl cut being condescending about your healthcare system in a bar.

I think the poster thinks that the world is the ghetto and Americans are the cops. Knives everywhere!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

no thank you. I think I get why you came to this conclusion but I feel like the tightness of the script would not mesh with the improv stuff that Apatow likes to do (not to mention that Apatow almost exclusively doesn't do adaptations).

now, if Judd Apatow were to find some other movie with a couple of side-players he could expand upon, that might be interesting. Don't adapt the work but the mindset that led to the work.

I just want 2 and a half hours of deleted scenes of Seth Rogan and Audrey Plaza playing Questions.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
On Golden Pond, but with Rogen and Plaza instead.

edit: have James Franco play the teenage grandson

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 22, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

“Reopening economies” is code for “send retail/service employees back to work.” "We don't give a gently caress if you die."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Neither of these people are anywhere near good enough actors to pull this off and Apatow's instincts are all wrong for this :confused:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Catfishenfuego posted:

No one gives a gently caress if you're American unless you're in like, a country the USA is actively bombing. The worst things that's going to happen to you is a trump joke or some german dude with a bowl cut being condescending about your healthcare system in a bar.

As a German, ja it's this. The worst Americans have to expect here are some mild violations of conversation etiquette since the political clownshow going on in the USA is really really hard not to comment on. Also the thing with the vicarious embarrassment, ever since Trump got elected I fully expect us to vote a lovely celebrity into office too.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 22, 2020

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

therattle posted:

I think the poster thinks that the world is the ghetto and Americans are the cops. Knives everywhere!

I know they didn't mean it this way at all, but "it's dangerous to go abroad if you're an American cause they'll attack you" is a hop and a skip away from the right-wing, fascist talking points about No Go Zones and the like. It's just that coming from this more liberal perspective it's through the lens of "we deserve it for what we did to them." But it still paints the rest of the world as this hostile, violent ghetto where there's danger around every corner and they hate you for just for existing, and you can see the slippery slope that creates.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have never stabbed an American in my life.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ok maybe once or twice in college but it doesn't really count when you're young and experimenting.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Joe Biden is the absolute worst but I don't understand why the Dems don't just let him off leash to say whatever thought floats through his mind unfiltered. It's what worked for Trump and it's really the only way it will work for the Dems. Let him call Trump a "frog-lickin' puppykicker" at the debate and challenge him to a fist fight. Just lean into The Onion Diamond Joe persona. Every time he's challenged he tells people "gently caress you, don't like it don't vote for me" which worked in the primary it seems, and he's gonna keep doing it. This "President Tweety" poo poo is focused group nonsense that's not gonna achieve poo poo because no one cares about the President's tweets. For the record, the guy is all-around awful, running a fully imperialist campaign and his Presidency will be an absolute mess with almost no real material change, but also I'm a firm believer in harm reduction and he's much preferable to the damage four more years of Trump would cause.

So, here's my campaign ad:

EXT. Dusk -- Route 66

We see the front wheel of a motorcycle and the leg of its driver, in washed out denim and black biker boots. Camera pans up to show the driver. It is a leather-jacket clad, sunglasses wearing JOE BIDEN. He revs the engine and begins driving.

CUT TO: A row of shuttered businesses, closed due to coronavirus lockdown.

BIDEN (V.O.)
These streets used to be buzzing. Full of life, a symbol of a strong economy and American greatness.

CUT TO: A montage of old footage of these businesses thriving, with people coming in and out. Sock hops, saloons, the works.

BIDEN (V.O.)
It doesn't seem that way anymore. When the ebola virus came to America, Barack Obama and I got that disease locked down. But when COVID-19 came to America, President Trump locked the country down. We need real leadership. A leader who responds to threats. A leader who cares for the people. My name's Joe Biden and that's why I'm running for President.

CUT TO: Shot of Biden from behind, riding off into the sunset with an American Flag patch sewn into his leather jacket.

CUT TO: JOE BIDEN FOR PRESIDENT LOGO

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

Joe Biden is the absolute worst but I don't understand why the Dems don't just let him off leash to say whatever thought floats through his mind unfiltered.

I mean he went on Charlemagne today and said that if you don't vote for him you're not black so maybe they are doing that

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

weekly font posted:

I did a lot of traveling before and after November 2016 and after the first "So Trump, huh?" conversation I was pretty over it.

I was in london and dublin in november 2016 and there was a ton of that but it generally felt more commiserating than snide.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We had done something almost as dumb the same year so we really didn’t have much of a leg to stand on tbh

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Escobarbarian posted:

We had done something almost as dumb the same year so we really didn’t have much of a leg to stand on tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRXKkUhe_B0&t=21s

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I was in london and dublin in november 2016 and there was a ton of that but it generally felt more commiserating than snide.

Yeah, and like if you went to England now it would just be "So Boris, huh?"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I went on a lot of research trips in 2016 and 2017 and it was pretty constantly "So Brexit, huh?"

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I remember going to Washington, D.C. in the summer of 2016 and talking with some British tourists who were nervous about Trump and I said "I feel like you guys have a way bigger chance of passing Brexit than we have of ever electing Trump." And, welp.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

I have never stabbed an American in my life.

But you didn’t have a knife leg until now. Now there’s no excuse!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Grendels Dad posted:

As a German, ja it's this. The worst Americans have to expect here are some mild violations of conversation etiquette since the political clownshow going on in the USA is really really hard not to comment on. Also the thing with the vicarious embarrassment, ever since Trump got elected I fully expect us to vote a lovely celebrity into office too.

After decades of "So how about those Nazis." we had this kind of treatment coming.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

I remember going to Washington, D.C. in the summer of 2016 and talking with some British tourists who were nervous about Trump and I said "I feel like you guys have a way bigger chance of passing Brexit than we have of ever electing Trump." And, welp.

It's not often you can see the monkey paw curl in real time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It's not often you can see the monkey paw curl in real time.

Dems in 2016: I just wish I could understand how Republicans could willingly vote for a racist, senile, rapist as if none of that matters!

Monkey's Paw: Say no more.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Biden meant to say that you aren’t black if you havent seen The Wire

edit: https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1263839385050644483?s=21

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 22, 2020