Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Lone Badger posted:

Currently however it is very easy to get an M4 and several thousand bullets, so just use thst.

tell me more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also, just got 2 faulty implants at 4% failure in a row, sheesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spF6A2QK31s

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

tell me more

Every Zombie Soldier drops a gun. Mostly M4s, but sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll have a SAW. Dismantle the ammo belt for 100-150 rounds.

Once you find a turret, kill it at night with your new gun or throw grenades around a corner or whatever. It will drop 4 belts holding 250 rounds each, plus one more that's part-full.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rynoto posted:

Yes. Eventually you stop caring about killing zombies and if you kill enough humans you stop caring about them too. It's subtle but the game does slowly make you more and more uncaring.

specifically, you lose less morale after ~50 kills, and stop losing morale entirely after ~100. this also works for the pacifist negative quirk, but you have to get over killing EVERY TYPE of enemy. so you can get over killing zombies, but still feel bad about killing a feral hunter.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wish you could set an alert for when you find certain kinds of items in the way you can for certain enemies. Right now I am scavenging everywhere for a plastic sheet to make an armored cleansuit.

Then again this game has so many commands that bloating it with another would probably make it even more intimidating to new players.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I think it could stand to be streamlined some but that said what you're suggesting would be a wicked feature and since we're already feature maximalist someone should definitely ram that poo poo in someplace.

Nobody will even notice since they're busy git-fighting about guns.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Morbid Fiesta posted:

I found a pair of friendship bracelets in a house and figured I'd hang on to them in case I made a friend. I now have 3 friends, 2 of which are very disappointed in me since I'm unable to craft them matching bracelets.

I think you can craft beaded bracelets, and then enscribe the word "friendship" on them. It's not quite the same thing as the woven cords, but the thought would be there!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
unfortunately you cannot make friendship bracelets, the technology no longer exists it is in fact why society can never recover. Nobody can be friends anymore.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think you can craft beaded bracelets, and then enscribe the word "friendship" on them. It's not quite the same thing as the woven cords, but the thought would be there!

Good to know. After clearing a gang of houses I came across 2 more. But then I ran into a "Bone Seer" who will only be friends if I bring her some non-tainted bones. She said killing zombies would be too difficult for an acolyte such as myself. Bitch I just blew through half a city and a couple hundred assorted undead for 2 friendship bracelets. :smithicide:

Motherfucker posted:

unfortunately you cannot make friendship bracelets, the technology no longer exists it is in fact why society can never recover. Nobody can be friends anymore.

Given how much my 3 companions cussed each other out following me into a confined space you're probably right. :smith:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I just checked and there is no item called "friendship" in the game files so yeah how would you be able to craft such a bracelet without it?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wish you could set an alert for when you find certain kinds of items in the way you can for certain enemies. Right now I am scavenging everywhere for a plastic sheet to make an armored cleansuit.

Then again this game has so many commands that bloating it with another would probably make it even more intimidating to new players.

Isnt there like an alarm list or autopickup list for items.

I remember seeing something like what you are asking but couldn't be assed to set it up.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

So I just got a hydraulic muscles implant, what's the most efficient way to translate temporary high STR into dead zombies? Composite bow? Unarmed? Bludgeons? Throwing things?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RangerKarl posted:

Is it possible to have a cybered up guy also do magic stuff, or are they mutually exclusive to some degree? Noticed my mana was being scaled down in tune with how much bioenergy I had.

Yes, Technomancy has spells that use beep boop juice and not you shall not pass juice. The mana/cyber power relationship is based on your current cyber power, so just don't put a lot of batteries in you. Then you can easily use both and just lose a few hundred mana at max charge.

Also drink mana mutagen and all that jazz, those traits also help.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Caidin posted:

My understanding of the situation is that bows have waffled back and forth between useless garbage and the greatest weapon to ever grace a survivors hand for years now, and will probably seesaw back to glory in a couple months.

This is one of those things where a game design decision (including bows) just needs to be useful or fun or else it was included as a several hundred hours of development time trap option that isn't viable enough to use. The problem with this being that some of the natural benefits of bows are INCREDIBLY useful (made out of readily available wood, arrows can be fletched with bags from chips, junk food) and if the bow is useful at all in actually KILLING things you can just have a ton of arrows and become lord of all zombie murder once your archery is at like 10 and your ranged skill is a six or so. The reason this, in my opinion, doesn't sit well with the development team is they want to emphasize progression and never allowing a one size fits all solution to all problems and so they've come to see bows being useful as a situation where a character just kind of starts off adequate and never really needs to majorly change their strategy up. Unfortunately just switching bows from useful to not useful and then back to useful isn't a long term solution to the ill defined problem with player strategies working.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The problem there is assuming that Kevin thinks that spending 100s of hours of dev time on something that nobody uses is a bad thing

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
What exactly is the progression that these dudes envision? All the fancy poo poo got carted off to the mods and the only goal the game has is don't die even 5 years after I first heard about it. Rugged survivalist efficiently handling threats in a sustainable way is the only win condition that exists, why not let that be Hawkeye?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

So I just got a hydraulic muscles implant, what's the most efficient way to translate temporary high STR into dead zombies? Composite bow? Unarmed? Bludgeons? Throwing things?

Boxing.

reignofevil posted:

The reason this, in my opinion, doesn't sit well with the development team is they want to emphasize progression and never allowing a one size fits all solution to all problems and so they've come to see bows being useful as a situation where a character just kind of starts off adequate and never really needs to majorly change their strategy up.

The current leads don't actually believe in gameplay reasons for things. They've gone all-in on simulationist "show me the science" where any change has to be backed up with cited sources about draw weights, kinetic energy etc.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if I can learn that from books in dojos, or fitness gyms. I'm starting with the dojos, I want to lean Tae Kwon Do anyway

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

The current leads don't actually believe in gameplay reasons for things. They've gone all-in on simulationist "show me the science" where any change has to be backed up with cited sources about draw weights, kinetic energy etc.

How do they square all that with the zombies and triffids and the lovecraft monsters?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Caidin posted:

How do they square all that with the zombies and triffids and the lovecraft monsters?

the same way those conspiracy theorists who really believe in aliens or flat world come up with complicated bunk science to justify it do, I imagine

Qubee
May 31, 2013

A zombie soldier really hosed my torso up, got me down to 2 bars and it was orange. I've spent a day and a half recuperating and I'm still only at 4 bars and don't want to risk going out on adventures. I've just spent my time reading, reinforcing (and destroying) gear, and I wanted to figure out how to chop trees down but I can't make an axe. Probably need survival 2 or something, right?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if I can learn that from books in dojos, or fitness gyms. I'm starting with the dojos, I want to lean Tae Kwon Do anyway

Actually neither. Boxing books are only found in boxing gyms so you need to find one of those, they aren't terribly uncommon in large cities.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Qubee posted:

A zombie soldier really hosed my torso up, got me down to 2 bars and it was orange. I've spent a day and a half recuperating and I'm still only at 4 bars and don't want to risk going out on adventures. I've just spent my time reading, reinforcing (and destroying) gear, and I wanted to figure out how to chop trees down but I can't make an axe. Probably need survival 2 or something, right?

This database says survival 3, Fabrication 2, apparently.. I think that means you're going to need to do a lot of poking in the bushes, plus also making some fishhooks and then washboards.

Caidin posted:

Actually neither. Boxing books are only found in boxing gyms so you need to find one of those, they aren't terribly uncommon in large cities.

Oh hey, I have 2 of those in one of my big towns! I did not even notice. Excited to be the best cyborg boxer I can be!

This game rules

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I find wood axes and wood saws fairly often, so grinding survival probably isn't strictly necessary unless you really can't leave your shelter.

A hurt torso isn't 'nothing' but it's also shouldn't be a show stopper for scavenging. There are many places you can find axes, saws and poo poo that aren't likely to have anything around--farms and abandoned barns (forget what they're called) for instance.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mr. Lobe posted:

Oh hey, I have 2 of those in one of my big towns! I did not even notice. Excited to be the best cyborg boxer I can be!

This game rules

There's another strength-based martial art that works hilariously well with hydraulic muscles. I think it's Krav Maga? I remember that it has a flying knee special move and its attacks and damage are calculated pretty much entirely off of strength. I once started an industrial cyborg with that and his hydraulic flying knee strikes were one-hit-killing zombies so hard that they flew like 5 squares away and became pulped on impact lmao

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Muy Thai has the flying knee, but you can't go wrong with Krav Maga either.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Angry Diplomat posted:

There's another strength-based martial art that works hilariously well with hydraulic muscles. I think it's Krav Maga? I remember that it has a flying knee special move and its attacks and damage are calculated pretty much entirely off of strength. I once started an industrial cyborg with that and his hydraulic flying knee strikes were one-hit-killing zombies so hard that they flew like 5 squares away and became pulped on impact lmao

The sweet science, indeed. I will be interested to see how the numbers for the others compare.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They recently reworked the martial arts styles and some of the old ones were super broken so most advice probably isn't going to be particularly accurate unless it's based on fairly up to date information.

The guy who did the rework documented it extremely well on the wiki which makes it easy to choose.

Boxing and Muay Thai are both really good choices though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if I should get or make a fist weapon to use with cyborg boxing. Also, where the heck do you get synthetic fabric? I want to repair my 2 webbing belts, but I can't even disassemble other webbing belts to get it.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if I should get or make a fist weapon to use with cyborg boxing. Also, where the heck do you get synthetic fabric? I want to repair my 2 webbing belts, but I can't even disassemble other webbing belts to get it.

It's flagged as no_salvage on the item browser so good luck locating some. You're better off just finding new web belts, may I suggest a Mil Surplus store.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Morbid Fiesta posted:

It's flagged as no_salvage on the item browser so good luck locating some. You're better off just finding new web belts, may I suggest a Mil Surplus store.

They haven't been carrying any, beside the good one that I got originally. And now it's damaged :(

Just like this run, I have found like 5 portable autoclaves so far, but no pouches. But the doctor's offices have also been generous with sterile CBMs, so I am not complaining.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh, I figured something out, apparently a welding rig repairs them. Neat!

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Nice! That's not exactly intuitive but that's cataclysm baby.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Basements. Check out enough of them and you'll find a conspicuous hobby space like a brewery or a music room or for what your looking for a tailoring spot that will have poo poo loads of rags, threads and ideally sheets of synthetic fabric to dismantle into usable synthetic fabric. For some reason.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

As far as I'm aware if your martial art supports unarmed weapons then there's no reason to not use one, they just straight up add more damage to your attacks, I don't think they block you from using any attacks even if it doesn't make all that much sense to, say, throw someone while holding knuckledusters.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mr. Lobe posted:

Also, where the heck do you get synthetic fabric? I want to repair my 2 webbing belts, but I can't even disassemble other webbing belts to get it.

Morbid Fiesta posted:

Yeah it is very hard to get for some reason, but at least in stable, there are a few sources. Afaik you can get it from fencing jackets and empty bullet proof vests that you can get from esapi vests. Might even get some scraps from the esapi vest itself but I'm not sure. I also wanna say you get some from molle packs but I can't confirm that right now

Mr. Lobe posted:

Nice, wasn't aware of that myself

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 22, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think Trench knives are solid common weapons that work with unarmed styles, dunno if that piercing damage is applied though. They're super rare but if you bust into weapon ranges in labs you may find a Hydraulic Gauntlet, a 50 bashing damage death machine that with a special crit attack that can land for 300 and blow weaker zombies into actual pieces.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Railgun CBM for throwing plus lawndarts or rebar. If you don't have/can't find railgun then something like the heavy sledge hammer or any other weapon with the BRUTAL flag which scales heavily off of strength and turns you into a perma-stun machine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RabidWeasel posted:

They recently reworked the martial arts styles and some of the old ones were super broken so most advice probably isn't going to be particularly accurate unless it's based on fairly up to date information.

The guy who did the rework documented it extremely well on the wiki which makes it easy to choose.

Boxing and Muay Thai are both really good choices though.

Is there any way to, like, blend styles so you can use moves from more than one without changing? I've not seen anything that suggests you can so I assume not, but it'd be cool if like, someone skilled in multiple martial arts with a high Unarmed and Melee or whatever was able to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can't blend styles quite the way you describe, but I believe switching styles takes no time, so you can knock someone down with one style and then instantly switch to a different style that takes advantage of them being prone.