Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

What can I say? I'm curious, if you take the ride would you be able to make a fuss later? Would the fact you took the ride mean you have up your expectation of privacy or whatever? How would that work?

e: I mean if you actually we're rich why would you even need to ask for a ride? Something very close did happen and it made me wonder what a rich rear end in a top hat could do with the law.

ee: Is there another thread to ask this stuff if it isn't valid? I figured I would get a better answer here then Reddit or something.

So to be clear, you agreed to pick up a friend, showed up, their SO was there, threw a fit about you having a dashcam, got in the car with the friend anyways, and is now threatening to sue you or something?

I feel like 99% of the problem could've been dealt with by talking to the friend at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

pentyne posted:

So to be clear, you agreed to pick up a friend, showed up, their SO was there, threw a fit about you having a dashcam, got in the car with the friend anyways, and is now threatening to sue you or something?

I feel like 99% of the problem could've been dealt with by talking to the friend at the time.

As I said, it was hypothetical. They didn't want to shell out for a taxi so they just delt with it and we had an otherwise pleasant ride. I'm just curious about what they could have done legally if they decided to be an rear end about it and had the dough to pursue it beyond what seems reasonable.

Florida is a two parry consent state, so how would that work? If you don't want to be recorded but still get in a car you know is recording would you legally be agreeing to be recorded? That's what I'm curious about.

e: Now that I think about it, I've had Uber drivers with dashcams that recorded the interior of the car. Does that mean that they are all in the hook for wiretapping? See why I think it's a question worth considering?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 22, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sleepy.eyes posted:

As I said, it was hypothetical. They didn't want to shell out for a taxi so they just delt with it and we had an otherwise pleasant ride. I'm just curious about what they could have done legally if they decided to be an rear end about it and had the dough to pursue it beyond what seems reasonable.

Florida is a two parry consent state, so how would that work? If you don't want to be recorded but still get in a car you know is recording would you legally be agreeing to be recorded? That's what I'm curious about.

e: Now that I think about it, I've had Uber drivers with dashcams that recorded the interior of the car. Does that mean that they are all in the hook for wiretapping? See why I think it's a question worth considering?

What damages could they claim?

And there's a whole list of exceptions for recording people too.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

spacetoaster posted:

What damages could they claim?

And there's a whole list of exceptions for recording people too.

I don't know, that why I asked. Do you know where I could look up those exceptions for my edification?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

sleepy.eyes posted:

I don't know, that why I asked. Do you know where I could look up those exceptions for my edification?

The exceptions in the statute are mostly about law enforcement and telecommunications employees

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0900-0999/0934/Sections/0934.03.html

There’s also a blurb from a Florida law firm recommending you disable sound on your dash cam to avoid committing a felony accidentally

https://www.beersandgordonlaw.com/legality-dash-cameras-cams-oviedo-attorneys-winter-springs-lawyers/

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Let's say (hypothetically) I agree to pick up a friend and their significant other from the the airport in Florida. If I had a dashcam, and the SO told me that they didn't consent to being recorded, and I told them that they could choose between that or walking, what mischief could they potentially make if they had more money than God and a vindictive streak a mile wide?

They could threaten to call your job and get you fired. They could ask Department of Transportation Special Agents to investigate you. If upon arriving or departing your car moved toward them in any way they could say you tried to run over them and their children. If you expressed a negative emotion toward another driver who was being an rear end in a top hat they could say you were a violent person and harassing them.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'm sure he is just talking about a person unfamiliar with Fay law.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

joat mon posted:

They could threaten to call your job and get you fired. They could ask Department of Transportation Special Agents to investigate you. If upon arriving or departing your car moved toward them in any way they could say you tried to run over them and their children. If you expressed a negative emotion toward another driver who was being an rear end in a top hat they could say you were a violent person and harassing them.

What could the DoT do about a random guy who picked up a friend as a favor?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

joat mon posted:

What if they had amazon ship you a book titled “I Will Poop In Your Coffee”

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
They definitely know where I live, guess I'd better brace myself for terrible self published fetish novels.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

What could the DoT do about a random guy who picked up a friend as a favor?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has its own law enforcement officers. They would arrest you for intent to use a motorised vehicle to carry (a motor carrier, if you will) people to their death. Your threats and violence are well known on the forums. The only possible reason for you to have a dash cam is to make snuff films using the federal highway system or its local appurtenances used in interstate commerce.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are there any states where you could not be filmed at an airport?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are there any states where you could not be filmed at an airport?

Yeah, if you were in a state of delusion in a padded cell, halucinating being at an airport.

But an actual physical one? loving how.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually that makes me wonder. Do legal prohibitions of "recording" (audio I think is the usual thing) without consent (one or two-party) cover live audio feeds in which someone else can hear the audio (and presumably testify later as to what they heard), but no actual recording is made?

Suppose I set up a satellite wifi connection (so it's always on, no matter where I drive), and have my dashcam feed sent up to livestream on some website, and I don't ever record the stream it's just transitory, and I admonish and take technical steps to prevent my viewers from recording it either, would I effectively skirt recording consent law, or would a judge raise their eyebrow at me and say "you know what you were doing, pwned" as the slammed down the gavel and sent me to prison?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leperflesh posted:

Actually that makes me wonder. Do legal prohibitions of "recording" (audio I think is the usual thing) without consent (one or two-party) cover live audio feeds in which someone else can hear the audio (and presumably testify later as to what they heard), but no actual recording is made?

Suppose I set up a satellite wifi connection (so it's always on, no matter where I drive), and have my dashcam feed sent up to livestream on some website, and I don't ever record the stream it's just transitory, and I admonish and take technical steps to prevent my viewers from recording it either, would I effectively skirt recording consent law, or would a judge raise their eyebrow at me and say "you know what you were doing, pwned" as the slammed down the gavel and sent me to prison?

The Florida statue doesn't distinguish between recording and transmitting, from my reading.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

and presumably testify later as to what they heard

Absent some special circumstances, they're not going to be able to do that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

joat mon posted:

Absent some special circumstances, they're not going to be able to do that.

Isn't testifying about hearing someone's voice on a transmission to prove a crime under the Florida wiretapping law permissible?

You're not introducing the potential hearsay testimony for the truth of the statement, just that you heard it broadcast

Or was there some other reason they wouldn't be able to

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I received a call from some big shot lawyer in Texas (I'm in Maine) and he told me that my brother had just died. I haven't seen him in years and figured he was already dead. So anyway, the lawyer tells me that my brother was in the oil business and died a rich man. Close to a million bucks as I understand. He left me $35,000. I'm concerned about how much I am going to pay in taxes. If I claim it as regular income, the government is probably going to take a big wet bite out of my rear end. Is there any way I can avoid paying taxes and keep all of it? Every penny? I know the general consensus in this thread is to hire a lawyer, but lawyers are bunch of ball washing bastards, so I'd like to see if there was a cheaper route.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Inheritance taxes are paid by the decedent’s estate, not by the recipient. If he’s claiming you’re going to have to pay income tax on it and wants you to pre pay the income tax by sending him prepaid Walmart cards or amazon gift cards, it’s a scam.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Devor posted:

Isn't testifying about hearing someone's voice on a transmission to prove a crime under the Florida wiretapping law permissible?

You're not introducing the potential hearsay testimony for the truth of the statement, just that you heard it broadcast

Or was there some other reason they wouldn't be able to

You're right, ID of the declarant (with proper foundation) is a permissible use. However, you're still going to need the declarant there to testify that they didn't consent so it's kinda moot. And if it's to prove a crime, hearsay exceptions won't get you past an absent declarant.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

I received a call from some big shot lawyer in Texas (I'm in Maine) and he told me that my brother had just died. I haven't seen him in years and figured he was already dead. So anyway, the lawyer tells me that my brother was in the oil business and died a rich man. Close to a million bucks as I understand. He left me $35,000. I'm concerned about how much I am going to pay in taxes. If I claim it as regular income, the government is probably going to take a big wet bite out of my rear end. Is there any way I can avoid paying taxes and keep all of it? Every penny? I know the general consensus in this thread is to hire a lawyer, but lawyers are bunch of ball washing bastards, so I'd like to see if there was a cheaper route.

Gifts are not taxable to the recipient, and he was a LONG way off from being rich enough for the estate to owe any taxes.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

SkunkDuster posted:

As already pointed out, the premise is wrong to begin with. You don't pay taxes on amounts you inherit.

I take payment in cold brewskies. One for each of my fellow posters.

Motronic posted:

Gifts are not taxable to the recipient, and he was a LONG way off from being rich enough for the estate to owe any taxes.

To be fair, I think the estate-level exemption was like $60,000 in the 1940s.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 23, 2020

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

Is this a one time gift exemption?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SkunkDuster posted:

Do you trust your wife?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Do you trust your wife?

Oh that's funny. You're gonna look funnier sucking my dick with no teeth.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why don’t you hire a lawyer instead of making stupid posts

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

euphronius posted:

Why don’t you hire a lawyer instead of making stupid posts

What the Christ is this happy horseshit?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

SkunkDuster posted:

i feel like you get a lot of mileage out of this line

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

but lawyers are bunch of ball washing bastards

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to wash your balls on a somewhat regular basis

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SkunkDuster posted:

What I mean is, do you think she'd go behind your back?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

therobit posted:

What I mean is, do you think she'd go behind your back?

Step aside, Moscowitz. This fucker is about to have himself an accident.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Tyro posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to wash your balls on a somewhat regular basis

How often are you washing other peoples balls though you fat barrel of monkey spunk

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How often are you washing other peoples balls though you fat barrel of monkey spunk

Isn't that how you made partner?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Okay, all friday night fun aside, here is a serious question. What financial point do you have to get to where you go from a tax preparer to a tax attorney?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

Okay, all friday night fun aside, here is a serious question. What financial point do you have to get to where you go from a tax preparer to a tax attorney?

That line is more fraud based than income based.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I have an actual legal question: I'm a contractor for a non profit. When covid hit we lost most of our funding and a lot of projects got scrapped/suspended, and they had to suspend our contracts. Since then I've been collecting government funding. Because I now have a huge amount of free time I be been working for free on two of my projects so they don't fall under (environmental research that requires a particular time of year, so if I don't do it it all goes to poo poo for a year and I lose a whole bunch of work). They're somewhat aware of this and don't really care as long as I'm not asking for payment.

In the event they cancel our contracts for good, or I find a paying job, who does the research/data belong to? Under the terms of. The original contract it belongs to the non-profit.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Hypothetically, if I am going to do contract work on spec in the hopes of getting paid later - am I committing Unemployment Insurance fraud when I collect money for that work later, after collecting UI while doing the work?

A second hypothetical:

My bosses laid me off and told me not to work on a patent I was doing at work. But I went home and finished the patent. How much of that patent do I own now?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SkunkDuster posted:

If you have to ask, you aren't there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Devor posted:

Hypothetically, if I am going to do contract work on spec in the hopes of getting paid later - am I committing Unemployment Insurance fraud when I collect money for that work later, after collecting UI while doing the work?

A second hypothetical:

My bosses laid me off and told me not to work on a patent I was doing at work. But I went home and finished the patent. How much of that patent do I own now?

UI varies by state, but my understanding generally is that you get paid when you get paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Devor posted:

A second hypothetical:

Honestly can't tell if you're having a go at me but yeah, I guess those are kind of questions I might have.

The smart move would be collecting UI/UBI/dole for 11 months a year and then bill for the previous 11 months in December. That has to be against the rules somehow.