Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I had this video keeping popping up in my Youtube, it was called "Why Disney doesn't get lightsabers" and it had a couple of hundred thousand views. I finally took a chance on it and it was literally some nerd with an accent delivering venom-coated whining about how Disney had Luke call them "laser swords". After around 2 minutes I turned it off and blocked the channel.

That's hilarious. George Lucas has always called them laser swords from day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

George Lucas literally calls them laser swords all the time

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Star Wars fans who want a Star Wars movie without lightsabers are funny.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Star Wars Theory has to be some kind of Disney op.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hello thread, I'm starting up Sucker Punch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Roth posted:

Hello thread, I'm starting up Sucker Punch.

It's not good, but it is also not boring.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Whoa, this is for real! Hahaha aaa AAA

josh04 posted:

Give me $30 million dollars so I can make a review of Suicide Squad that stars the cast of Suicide Squad.

Why, so you can just force will smith to ask 'what is this, some kind of suicide squad' in wildly different tones and inflections??

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not good, but it is also not boring.

I put off watching Sucker Punch for a very long time because of such responses, and it actually turned out it's actually the reverse: it's an extremely solid and well-made movie, but also kind of dry because the all action scenes are "action scenes" - like, in quotation marks. It's a very academic sort of exercise.

I've also pointed this out elsewhere, but the logic of the film is that the brothel-world is the film's symbolic reality , but it's unfortunately also the least developed. I really strongly suspect that Snyder's preferred version* would have had musical, but the studio saw the horror- and fantasy-worlds as more marketable.

*The Extended Cut is way superior, but specifically not a Director's Cut.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Some insight into Sucker Punch from Zack Snyder that's a good read imo: https://filmschoolrejects.com/interview-zack-snyder-on-the-sexuality-and-fanboy-hate-of-sucker-punch-36287c94c6b0/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just finished, and I really enjoyed it.

I think the most interesting thing about the movie is that it acknowledges that all this power fantasy stuff really is just a fantasy of Babydoll's. They're just her imagination while the other girls accomplish their goals while she distracts the men with her dancing. I think this is most shown when the cook kills one of the girls, and as she's getting stabbed, Baby switches back to a much more palpable version of a grand heroic sacrifice with a far off explosion rather than an in your face, brutal stabbing. Blondie and Amber are are then gunned down in front of her with no way to soften that blow with escapism, and Baby stabs Blue, causing a ton of blood to gush out. A small-ish detail I liked was that all the fantasies were bloodless, as opposed to the reality of the actual murders and violence in the film. She then acknowledges to Sweet Pea that she really didn't do anything the entire movie, and that she should escape while she sacrifices herself.

I'm a bit torn on the ending and whether it's as simple as the whole movie was a fantasy in the first place, or that the final sequence is just one last fantasy Baby invents to cope. One where she's essentially lobotomized as a way to cope with being turned into a sex slave. It definitely feels, to me, like the most bleak of Snyder's movies which contrasts with all the absurd action scenes.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Sucker Punch was one of Oscar Isaacs break out roles too. Hes god drat amazing in that movie and I remember even a lot of negative reviews took notice of his performance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently Lucas calls them laser swords in interviews, unless the interviewer does, then he corrects them and calls them lightsabers.

I have a ridiculous fantasy of continuing to variously call them beam katanas, bright blades, luminous flamberges etc. until someone probably tries to kill me.

unrelatedly: People getting mad about video games and movies are still less pathetic than people getting mad about people getting mad at video games and movies.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 22, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Blood Boils posted:

Why, so you can just force will smith to ask 'what is this, some kind of suicide squad' in wildly different tones and inflections??

For a control experiment I would also have him repeat a terrible line he 100% sells, namely the "Converse All-Stars, vintage 2004" bit from I, Robot.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Josh buddy, pal, you sleeping on this?

https://twitter.com/TheCulturedNerd/status/1263688960070414336?s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Happy to be proven wrong, and all the coy tweets by AT&T suggest something is in the works, but the article isn't hugely compelling - a VFX company that leaks an unannounced project they're working on is a VFX company that's rapidly not working on that project any more.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm cautiously optimistic. They might have leaked it intentionally for the sake of creating hype

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

josh04 posted:

The original Steppenwolf design is really nice, but the JL redesign (aside from the vfx being very unpolished) is a classic Hollywood "we need to see the actor's face" dealy, I'd be surprised if they completely rolled that back.

Man, I felt so sorry for Ciarán Hinds when watching JL. He did his best to give Steppenwolf's voice a kind of dreamy fanaticism but the character looked like absolute dogshit. I just looked up Hinds' IMDb page and JL is on there for 2021 :getin:

edited for wrong word and date, Jesus I must be tired

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 22, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Grendels Dad posted:

Man, I felt so sorry for Ciarán Hinds when watching JL. He did his best to give Steppenwolf's voice a kind of dreamy fanaticism but the character looked like absolute dogshit. I just looked up Hinds' IMDb page and JL is on there for 2021 :getin:

edited for wrong word and date, Jesus I must be tired
After JL was released Hinds said he hoped that Snyder’s movie as he had intended it would one day be released because what was released was not the movie he worked on. Also, he was in Excalibur.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
For idiots like me, what exactly is different about the Snyder cut of Justice League?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

For idiots like me, what exactly is different about the Snyder cut of Justice League?

Nearly everything. Based on what we’ve heard it’s an apples to oranges thing, they’re almost completely different plots aside from big beats like Superman coming back and the heroes save the day.

And you’re not an idiot.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 22, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if it was upthread here or in another thread, but it was said that of the movie Snyder shot, roughly 30 minutes were used by Whedon and the rest is new. So yeah, if the Snyder cut is really four hours long, only thirty minutes of those should seem familiar and the rest is completely different.

Which is insane.

Mr. Apollo posted:

After JL was released Hinds said he hoped that Snyder’s movie as he had intended it would one day be released because what was released was not the movie he worked on. Also, he was in Excalibur.

:psyduck: welp seems like I have to watch Excalibur again to look out for him.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Someone will probably answer this better than me, but for one, a drastically different tone. Whendon rewrote a ton of dialogue to make it sound more like his. He reshot a good 75% of the movie and it's cartoonishly obvious which are his shots and which are Snyder's. Whendon's feel claustrophobic since they're blalantly on a green screen set. Ben Affleck was in full alcoholism during his reshoots so he's significantly redder and puffier. And everyone's hair lines are off. I heard Aquaman's tattoos are off too. The finale in set piece has a red filter placed all over it. They got Danny Elfman involved and fired Junkie XL. So he reprised his classic Batman theme and it sounds just awful. (I think they put in the Williams Superman theme at one point too.) There's a weird subplot about a Russian family that Snyder was unaware of when someone asked him about it. Superman's revival and story arc was entirely different. Something darker from the sounds of it. And most tragically, Cyborg's presence was reduced drastically. He was the focal point in the original and was set to have the most pathos but got regulated to side character.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SalTheBard posted:

About 75% of the film seen in theaters was Whedon rewrites and reshoots done on nearly tv budgets and a very compacted time frame.

Snyder's version has a significantly different story and script, different direction and footage that wasn't shot on a rushed timeline (though I don't know what they'll do about getting various pickups and tiny fixes usually done in reshoots)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

So sometime before Snyder left the project he showed a rough cut to studio execs that was nearly 4 hours long. When he left the project and Whedon took over he re-filmed a bunch of stuff, the rumor was that it was upwards of 75% of the eventual 120 minute theatrical cut (which seems high but possible to me, it's painfully easy to tell what stuff was all Whedon and there was a good deal of it: the Russian family is entirely new, the weird alien probe news interview, the opening scene where Batman fights a parademon, a bunch of the "standing around quipping" scenes, the post-credit race scene, etc)

So basically there's potentially that remaining 3-ish hours of stuff that didn't make the Whedon cut, and potentially more footage from the rumored-to-be 5 hour assembly cut that wouldn't have made it to the theatrical cut anyway but could help fill out this new extended cut (or the mini-series idea they were floating). A large proportion of this stuff would not have seen post-production so we are talking footage of Ray Fisher in polka dot sfx pajamas and green screens everywhere, but that's what the extra 30 million dollars would be for.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Pretty much every scene of exposition is a reshoot, it's mad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know how directors guild rules work but it's pretty crazy to be Snyder's name was still on the original considering all the changes. Maybe it has to do with time on set?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

It's terrible too. They have that scene of Lois and Marta talking in what totally looks like an abandoned set from The Office (with lighting that would embarrass the crew from The Office to boot) wearing terrible wigs and making a "thirsty" joke. It's like a parody of how badly someone could mangle someone's vision of a movie but it's real.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

josh04 posted:

The most insulting scene, I think, is the one with Clark/Superman talking to Lois in the cornfield. It's Whedon trying to do Snyder and just cratering completely.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Grendels Dad posted:

:psyduck: welp seems like I have to watch Excalibur again to look out for him.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I think the WB execs ultimately got what they wanted out of the Whedon cut. Being out of touch and all, they didn't realize that DCEU fans didn't want a bad Marvel movie, that general movie goers don't want bad movies, and that a lot of them were already turned off by the first two movies and course correcting at number 3 is probably too late.

If you're pulling down a tidy profit, which as I understand it, MoS and BvS did, just release the movie in a state that people who liked the first two would enjoy. I'll never really understand how they managed to craft a movie that appeals to precisely no one.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

It's terrible too. They have that scene of Lois and Marta talking in what totally looks like an abandoned set from The Office (with lighting that would embarrass the crew from The Office to boot) wearing terrible wigs and making a "thirsty" joke. It's like a parody of how badly someone could mangle someone's vision of a movie but it's real.

Yeah, that one shocked me. And there's a hillbilly farmer on the TV behind them when they walk in talking about being probed by aliens when the scene starts.

After Flash saves a family near the end, there's this REALLY REALLY terrible bit of green screen effect that was absolutely shockingly bad. I remember looking around the theater thinking "am I having a stroke here? This is really this bad an in the movie?"

JL is the first movie I've ever thought about walking out of it was so bad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dreqqus posted:

I think the WB execs ultimately got what they wanted out of the Whedon cut. Being out of touch and all, they didn't realize that DCEU fans didn't want a bad Marvel movie, that general movie goers don't want bad movies, and that a lot of them were already turned off by the first two movies and course correcting at number 3 is probably too late.

If you're pulling down a tidy profit, which as I understand it, MoS and BvS did, just release the movie in a state that people who liked the first two would enjoy. I'll never really understand how they managed to craft a movie that appeals to precisely no one.

Think about your average Facebook comment level movie opinions.

Then realize that movie execs care about or understand movie artistry even less than that, and are just business people looking at numbers trying to maximize returns for their own bonuses.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HE'S CINEMA'S GREATEST MONSTER.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1263818773712101376?s=19

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, I never connected that it was him - he's so goddamn amazing when he shows up.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

On a complete aside, I was impressed when Bojack Horseman's reference to Zack Snyder last season was extremely tame for them. An actor shows up preparing for a role as a heroin-addicted Super Mario for Zack Snyder's Mario adaptation. For all the disgusting vitriol online I think there are a lot of people whose take on him, if they've heard of him, would probably be jokes along those lines.

The level of hatred by his true haters is some of the most disproportionate I've ever seen, until you accept that it stems from him having attacked fanboyism etc.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is the success of The Joker partially responsible for WB green lighting the Snyder cut and apparently the directors cut of Suicide Squad?

Did they figure out that letting a director do his thing can in fact sometimes result in financial and critical success?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's tough to pinpoint what WB's strategy is because they've been so inconsistent.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I imagine every DCEU movie except Aquaman flopping ever since they hosed over Snyder probably had something to do with it too.

It was an incredibly savvy move of Snyder to pitch it as a potential miniseries. Streaming services are gonna hit a big drought of content real soon, and spending a typical budget for a big-name streaming show on something that nobody has to meet in person for has to be an appealing proposition for execs.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dreqqus posted:

Wasn't there an interview where someone who worked at DC said something like the DC and WB execs were terrified of what the twitterverse thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Huh I thought shazam did better numbers but on 100mil it did like 370 gross worldwide.