Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

theyre ok but jfc after about 30 minutes into their set you just say " ok i get it"

I really fell into a Guster hole around 2005, so yeah, totally understand. The whole drummer without sticks schtick wore off fast, but I didn't mind the bongos. poo poo's just mellow.

I mean, compared to the poo poo I listened to just before joining the army (disturbed, slipknot, etc), it was a good change of pace. Somehow missed most of the punk boat back then too. Really digging Days N Daze, just drawn to how rough and goddamn dirty it all is.

Best concert was Whitney Houston, close second was Cowboy Mouth, then the Bonnaroo I went to and stayed high the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

my best was daft punk in brooklyn, 2007

runner up was reel big fish with the matches opening

blink 182 towards the end was prolly the biggest show i saw, wasnt bad but just felt super produced

idk what my worst was. i dated a girl forever ago who was obsessed with pop punk and saw Simple Plan double digit amounts. i went with her once and thaaaaaaaat was plenty

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

@crusty yeah they're not a bad band and the drummer is legit but im not a jam band or a dave matthews mellow kinda guy is all

whitney houston jfc im jealous

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Whitney was in Chicago in '99, when her pipes were still in perfect tune. loving hell of a show for a 16 year old.

Worst, man, there's been a few. My exwife drug me to a few shows and not one of them was one I could sit through. I remember telling her when she got Justin Timberlake tickets that I'd rather swing by my neck from the rafters than sit through that show, so she took her sister. Just loving abysmal taste in music, but whatever. I'm sure he's a fine performer and gives the audience their moneys' worth, but I'm not sitting through that poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Pink Floyd at the Rosebowl in 94.

Two days before boot camp.

I did not know it would be a giant green cloud and I am surprised I did not pop positive at boot camp

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, mil piss test standards for weed were easy to pass, just drink enough water. Threshold used to be 50 nanograms per microliter, confirmation at 15 then zero.

I spent my last year in the army smoking weed on the weekends. I had it in my barracks room (still have the same grinder, a spacecase), in my car, a handful of fellow lower enlisted knew what I was up to, and I had a BN secret squirrel that would call me ahead of time if we were getting whiz quizzed the next day (cost me a case of beer for each call). E4 mafia ran tight in that headquarters company. Hell, my car was searched once at the gate with weed in it, dog stepped right over the backpack containing it. After that I just kept it in my barracks closet because the way you get caught in a barracks drug flip is other people telling on you, or giving yourself up. Health and welfare my rear end, more like turn yourself in for something dumb because you couldn't contain your anxiety.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,

Godholio posted:

Mine was Sevendust. Next one was Metallica (1998), with opening acts Days of the New and Jerry Cantrell, which remains the best goddamn concert I've ever attended.

Ha! I saw them that same year in Portland at the meadows. I still have the metallica t-shirt around someplace.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah, mil piss test standards for weed were easy to pass, just drink enough water. Threshold used to be 50 nanograms per microliter, confirmation at 15 then zero.

I spent my last year in the army smoking weed on the weekends. I had it in my barracks room (still have the same grinder, a spacecase), in my car, a handful of fellow lower enlisted knew what I was up to, and I had a BN secret squirrel that would call me ahead of time if we were getting whiz quizzed the next day (cost me a case of beer for each call). E4 mafia ran tight in that headquarters company. Hell, my car was searched once at the gate with weed in it, dog stepped right over the backpack containing it. After that I just kept it in my barracks closet because the way you get caught in a barracks drug flip is other people telling on you, or giving yourself up. Health and welfare my rear end, more like turn yourself in for something dumb because you couldn't contain your anxiety.

My platoon had a health and welfare inspection and the guy that got busted was the guy that took off running to his barracks room after they got released from formation.

I was in charge out on a detail when all this happened.

I was the TL of the guy that got busted, and his roommate was on the detail with me.

I didn’t have anything in my barracks room and would’ve pissed clean but long story short, I wasn’t a team leader by the end of the day.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

idk what my worst was. i dated a girl forever ago who was obsessed with pop punk and saw Simple Plan double digit amounts. i went with her once and thaaaaaaaat was plenty

lol they were my first concert.

RX Bandits and Coheed and Cambria at the same concert made up for it though.

I have tickets for Rage Against the Machine in August but I have my doubts that'll happen.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. Dude, my section sergeant knew I was smoking. He also knew I wasn't re-enlisting, so he didn't care, just said "don't get caught." I just outright told him during a section run for PT one morning.

At the time, the dogs seemingly weren't trained for drugs, just explosives. Why even have sniffer dogs if you're not gonna train them to find the easiest drug, just loving lol.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

lol they were my first concert.

RX Bandits and Coheed and Cambria at the same concert made up for it though.

I have tickets for Rage Against the Machine in August but I have my doubts that'll happen.

coheed sounds like a cool show honestly. im not into emo style much at all but idk, they did their thing and it wasnt bad sometimes. Im sure the show was cool.

rage would be sick and i cant imagine resisting jumping in the pit

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

best pit stories go

i went to europe with my gf at the time after iraq, she was big on the matches too and they happened to be playing in a punk club in paris, right across from moulin rouge

a pit opened up and im like a head taller than everyone there, so I jump in and immediately the french resistance was against me. I held my own but i was a big american target and this was 2006.

afterwards i was talking to a girl wearing a bones brigade t-shirt in broken english bc that was rad to see and I was drunk and had to tell her how rad steve cabellero was

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Coheed and Cambria is a good show. Bonnaroo '09 for me.

Springsteen was there too. Mostly one big shroom blur to me, but Bonnaroo was pretty drat fun over a decade ago.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Booger Presley posted:

First concert was Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister opened for them.

I'm jealous ayy-eff, enn gee ell

My first casettes as a kid were "audio dramas" of Benjamin Blümchen (google tells me this is "Benjamin the Elephant" in the anglophone world).
My first metal casette was a bootleg-mixtape labeled "Man of War", and mostly contained Manowar songs (big surprise), but also a bunch of songs that my friend thought were by Manowar that weren't. So my very first metal song ended up being a live version of "Over the Wall" by Testament.

My first concert was technically the Kelly Family (no idea if they're known outside of Europe), because my family strolled along the beach front on the island of Sylt while they were putting on a free show.
My first "real" concert was Rammstein in Lichtenfels during their Sehnsucht-tour in '97. This was still at a time when my family didn't want me listening to "the metal" because it was a bad influence. My old man wasn't worried about Rammstein though, since he had heard they were a German rock band, and German rock essentially meant "The Scorpions" to him, and thus was good and kosher.

He dropped me off at the concert, which owned extremely hard, everything was on fire and in various states of explosions, there were tits and everything. When he picked me up, he was waiting outside about 30 minutes because the band was playing like four encores, so he eventually sweet-talked his way inside to pick up his son.
His glasses fogged up the second he entered, and what he saw...was no longer good and kosher. Till was being dragged through the crowd on a rolling riser while on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmHdLcnDGm4

On the way home, we were held up in a DUI checkpoint outside Lichtenfels and my old man told the fine Polizei officer that he had to wait just another minute before he could produce his registration papers because "he wasn't quite done giving his son a talking-to".

/edit:
Still glad to this day that he didn't see the opener, because it was KMFDM, and their show managed to be quite a bit more offensive than what followed. And that's saying something considering who they opened for.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

best pit stories go

I partially dislocated my shoulder when Refused did their first reunion tour back in 2012. You can’t NOT get in the pit for New Noise.

I took an elbow to the side of the head during Good Riddance’s last show in 2005, I think? and spent the rest of the night with an absolutely splitting headache.

Leftover Crack in 2004 at some venue in the Bay Area: Stza throwing bottled water all over the crowd, making the sweaty and slippery crowd even more so, and some huge SHARP skinhead putting his hands behind his back, lowering his head and running head first across the pit. Avoiding him felt like a mini-boss in a video game.

I’m too old for the pit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

KMFDM IS A DRUG AGAINST WAR

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Woofer posted:

My first concert was Tim McGraw with my mom.

Could be worse I guess.
John Denver. With my mom. I made my own T-shirt.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

best pit stories go
Circle Jerks, Seven Seconds and I think Raw Deal in Greenwich Village. A lot of skinny NY punks, I had been rowing heavyweight crew. Got a black eye, don't remember a lot else.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

best pit stories go

mosh pit in a small club in hawaii

for love and rockets

:lol:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Worst concert, Who Quadrafinia or however its spelled.

Sounded like crap

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

best pit stories go

Motorhead. Most of the guys in the pit were big biker types. I'm a tall runner type. A really skinny little dude kept diving in. Was covered in blood by the end, looked like he was having the time of his life.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

best pit stories go

Dropkick Murphys, Millencolin and Rancid concert at Echo Beach in Toronto.

Got cracked in the jaw and orbital by swinging elbows during True Believers and spent the rest of the concert with rapidly-replaced king cans of beer pressed to my dome

Also, pro tip. If you go into a pit on an area made up of coarse sand, WEAR PANTS. My legs looked like they had been belt-sanded with 50-grit sandpaper for a week.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I chugged two four lokos (OG recipe of course) in the parking lot before a Darkest Hour concert

It’s the only time I’ve ever tried to fight people. Last I ever drank two, even though I knew better

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A decade ago I saw Alice Cooper + Rob Zombie at Mohegan Sun. My ex convinced me that going into the pit was a good idea.

I ended up getting punched in the kidney so hard I pissed blood. That was unpleasant.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I've had my left knee dislocated both times I've gone into one.

Last time was in Milwaukee for Local H.

I make bad decisions.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Syrian Lannister posted:

I've had my left knee dislocated both times I've gone into one.

Last time was in Milwaukee for Local H.

I make bad decisions.

oh god is local h still around? jesus

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I just looked and yes, dropped an album earlier this year.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

TMBG's Flood, still one of their best albums and listen to it every so often

The first concert I attended was Violent Femmes...because They Might Be Giants was the opener.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Maybe like one of you will know who I'm referring to but my mom dated the lead singer for Drop Dead for a few months in the early 90s.

He was a cool dude, gave me my first NES.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

STP with Cheap Trick opening was my first concert ever in 97.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oversized AC/DC ratty tour shirt were my PJs for a while, come at me

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Now that I stop and think about it, my first loving concert was traumatic and I suppress memories of it. My mom drug me to it.

Barbara Streisand.

Ughh.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My first concert was Elton John on Valentine’s Day. At the time, I enjoyed it. Now I feel privileged to have seen the man live.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Y'all have been to some amazing shows.

My first concert ever was a couple year after I got married; she convinced me to go to a U2 show, with Kings of Leon opening. Kings sounded like poo poo, Bono was boring, and we've since divorced.

Since then, I've managed to see The Young Dubliners at a pub, Motorhead in one of their last Vegas shows, and Dead & Co in a haze-filled amphitheater. Had Sabaton tickets, too, but that got 2020'd. On the bright side, the refund from that jump-started the Wacken fund. Salty Dog cruise is on the horizon, too, because nothing screams "good times" like mosh pits and norovirus.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Now that I stop and think about it, my first loving concert was traumatic and I suppress memories of it. My mom drug me to it.

Barbara Streisand.

Ughh.

:lol:

I'm sorry.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bloops posted:

My first concert was Elton John on Valentine’s Day. At the time, I enjoyed it. Now I feel privileged to have seen the man live.

seriously man, id see him immediately if given the chance

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

high five local h.

Mighty Mighty Bosstones Hometown Throwdown 13 in Boston in 2010. 3 nights of drinking and skanking with my old college roommate. We flew in and just beat a major blizzard, so the 1st night was basically all locals and us. Made friends drinking with the security staff and a few bartenders next door after the show, had zero problems the rest of the weekend. Until we woke up after the third show and had to figure out how to get 2 signed giant plastic santas onto a plane.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Saw tons of pop-punk/punk stuff in the late 90's. There were all ages venues in Denver and Boulder that would put on pretty decent shows for a 5 - 10 dollar ticket, so we would go see a show or two every weekend instead of going to the movies or whatevee. Also saw tons of the hot indie rap from the early 2Ks too. I would give an arm and a leg to see Dilated Peoples and J5 again.

Most fun show ever was a No Doubt reunion show like 10 years ago, all the opening bands were really good, Gwen is hot, and No Doubt put on a really good show.

Best concert was Dinosaur Jr when they went out after their last album. Loudest show I've ever heard in my life. Those dudes rock for being grey hairs.

Honorable mention is The Shins, good show, good openers, not sure I would go out of my way to see them again, last album was basically the James Mercer one man show.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Best show I've seen, probably Maiden, Somewhere on Tour.

Pat Benatar was awesome too.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
My best shows ever, in order, were:
1. The first time I saw Andrew WK live.
2. The second time I saw Andrew WK live.
3. The Violent Femmes opening for Ben Folds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Suntan Boy posted:

Salty Dog cruise is on the horizon, too, because nothing screams "good times" like mosh pits and norovirus.

That's a cruise I'd consider. Flogging Molly is the only band I've seen more than once (DKM hasn't passed by again yet, and I somehow missed Metallica like 5 times).