Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly if it wasn't for the third gold hairpin I might actually try it, but uh...

I've gotten that thing before with a Thief. Some things aren't worth repeating a timed dungeon dive for.
Gold Hairpin is certainly worse but I wouldn't even try for Gourd with just Thief Knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Gold Hairpin is certainly worse but I wouldn't even try for Gourd with just Thief Knife.

Only way I'd try for the Gourd with the Thief Knife is if I had White Mage or Mystic Knight.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Newbie here who's heard of this and thought about joining years ago, but never got around to it.

Is the Steam version fine to use? If it makes the game a little tougher, idc, whatever, but just checking that it's a reasonable way to do it since it's definitely the most accessible for me.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

Newbie here who's heard of this and thought about joining years ago, but never got around to it.

Is the Steam version fine to use? If it makes the game a little tougher, idc, whatever, but just checking that it's a reasonable way to do it since it's definitely the most accessible for me.

Steam version is fine for the mostpart, just note that unless you get a good combination of jobs, a lot of the post-game stuff can be inaccessible because they "fixed" some of the ways of avoiding boss mechanics, like Omnicient always being able to cast return, even if silenced.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

The Steam version is based on the ios/Android version for phones, which fixes some bugs from previous versions (and introduces some new ones), but is perfectly playable for this.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NGDBSS posted:

I am the sort of doofus who will probably do this through savestates and incrementing the RNG. As a reminder:
  1. The Titan's Gloves can be stolen from Azulmagia. And it's his rare steal, yay!
  2. The Genji Armor can be stolen from the very last Gilgamesh, when he shows up to help with Necrophobe. You've also got to fight him after checking the Excalipoor chest or he won't show up later.
  3. There's one guaranteed Kornago Gourd in Quelb, if you give a Kornago to a frog nerd. Otherwise if you don't have beastmaster you only need to grab a rare steal from Omniscient. Assuming you also have a plan for not eating Return.
  4. There's one Gold Hairpin in the Barrier Tower and another in the Pyramid of Moore (not Exdeath's castle). The third is a rare steal from Famed Mimic Gogo, who will counter and oneshot you but thankfully won't go berserk unless you get him to <33K HP.

The original plan was three steals from optional world 3 quests, which was ruined by Odin’s protect ring not being a unique drop.
Genji Armor is the replacement for that. Titan’s gloves was just a bonus joke challenge.

dis astranagant posted:

5. 2 Titan's Axes

Not only did I completely forget about this, but also it doesn’t fit the theme because that’s a mandatory fight.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The Skald :toxx:
$1 per run, up to $20, for each run wherein a Bard hits an enemy with an axe.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Aerdan posted:

The Skald :toxx:
$1 per run, up to $20, for each run wherein a Bard hits an enemy with an axe.

You could also have a Berserker hitting an enemy with a harp, which is actually much more useful.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
For anyone curious, I've put together a list of differences found in the mobile/Steam version; you can find it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/com...ntent=post_body

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ace Transmuter posted:

You could also have a Berserker hitting an enemy with a harp, which is actually much more useful.

What's the point in issuing a toxx for doing something useful?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ace Transmuter posted:

In what universe? All the non-Apollo harps are poo poo.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

ultrafilter posted:

What's the point in issuing a toxx for doing something useful?

Fair.

Kyrosiris posted:

In what universe? All the non-Apollo harps are poo poo.

You've got it.

e: Also Equip Harps is a much more useful passive boost for Berserker than Equip Axes is for Bard. I would argue it is the best passive ability for the Berserker, even.

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 22, 2020

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

:toxx:

I'll donate $10, up to a maximum of $300 to Against Malaria Foundation for every pic of a geomancer attacking Neo-Exdeath with Gaia's Bell. Just post a pic of the attack and a pic of the bell being equipped on the geomancer and we're good.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ace Transmuter posted:

e: Also Equip Harps is a much more useful passive boost for Berserker than Equip Axes is for Bard. I would argue it is the best passive ability for the Berserker, even.

:hmmyes:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ace Transmuter posted:

You've got it.

At that point the Rune Axe out-performs the Apollo Harp though.

A Level 35 Lenna Berserker with Equip Harps uses the Apollo Harp and Rune Axe in separate attacks.

She has base 46 strength and 39 magic. Rune Axe gives +3 magic, Apollo Harp gives no bonus stats. Therefore:

quote:

Kyrosiris: .mcalc 35 46 42 rune
Carbybot: At Level 35, with 46 Strength and 42 Magic, your Rune Weapon M is 25. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 37 for Strength and 37 for Magic.
Kyrosiris: .mcalc 35 39 magic
Carbybot: At Level 35, with 39 Magic, your magic M is 9. To reach the next M, you need to reach level 40

Rune Axe, with Rune boost: 71+10 Attack, M of 25 = 2025 damage
Apollo Harp: 75 Spell Attack, M of 9 = 675 damage

Even taking random variance and accuracy into account, you end up with (75...84) attack variance for the Harp and (45...116) attack power variance for the Rune Axe; apply a .9 multiplier to final damage to account for misses and you get:

Rune Axe: [(45...116) * 25] * 0.9 = 1012 - 2610 effective damage per swing (1125 - 2900 printed)
Apollo Harp: (75...84) * 9 = 675 - 756 damage per attack

Obviously this all goes out the window if the target is undead or a dragon but yeah, the Apollo Harp is not going to do very much in a Berserker's hands.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

Obviously this all goes out the window if the target is undead or a dragon but yeah, the Apollo Harp is not going to do very much in a Berserker's hands.

I guess I did have a Chemist on my last Bard/Berserker run...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Chemisting enemies into dragons and Apollo Harping them is very funny and highly recommended

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

One day I might actually kill omega in a fiesta run. One day I might actually finish more than one fiesta run in a year.

Let's see if this year is that year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Alxprit posted:

Chemisting enemies into dragons and Apollo Harping them is very funny and highly recommended

This is very true. Going from 75 * M to 600 * M is a large difference. :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Apollo's Harp owns, but it's not fair to compare it to the best weapon in the game (fight me Cockshankers :colbert:)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

This one was forgotten from last year:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Mega64 posted:

Apollo's Harp owns, but it's not fair to compare it to the best weapon in the game (fight me Cockshankers :colbert:)

Best weapon in the game hm?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly if it wasn't for the third gold hairpin I might actually try it, but uh...

I've gotten that thing before with a Thief. Some things aren't worth repeating a timed dungeon dive for.

I Thief Knifed the gold hairpin last year, but that was because:

A) I was already doing all the optional stuff for my insane cutscene toxx (iirc, I did have to enter the tower but the Gogo fight itself wasn't necessary)
B) My team was something ridiculous like black/red/summon/time, so I actually had a use for a third hairpin
C) I was abusing savestates extensively

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alxprit posted:

The chemist throws a ton of ingredients at the boss, points at it, and says "Omae wa mou shinryu."

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fister Roboto posted:

“Omae wa mou shinryu."

My favorite Michael McDonald song

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

The chemist throws a ton of ingredients at the boss, points at it, and says "Omae wa mou shinryu."

"NANI?!"

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I'm doing this for the first time this year and from what I understand to get no repeated jobs but random any jobs I'd go for #regchaos? It seems like I might wanna add a 750 in there too but also I'm not sure if that only limits me to jobs that can break rods plus jobs that are similar in playstyle and theme or if it simply adds them to the list that can be pulled from. Also maybe I want #purechaos but I'm not sure if that's gonna give me potential duplicates, which I wanna avoid.

It's been like 10 years or maybe longer since I've played this game so some of the terminology on the website is sorta unfamiliar but really I seem to be having trouble understanding what has a chance of giving me duplicate jobs versus what doesn't.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chaos can give the duplicate jobs, Pure Chaos cannot. PC also throws Freelancer and Mime into the mix.

I want Pure Chaos with duplicates.

I also THINK that 750 is divided between jobs that can and jobs that can't use rods.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

750: White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Bard, Geomancer, Dancer, Chemist

No 750: Knight, Thief, Monk, Berserker, Mystic Knight, Ninja, Ranger, Beastmaster, Samurai, Dragoon

750 + Berserker Risk is a pretty good choice for a first run except that there are a few combinations that can have a rough early game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eutu8EXcmk0

A DRIFTING TENDER....COME RIDE, HEROES! RIDE!

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Chaos can give the duplicate jobs, Pure Chaos cannot. PC also throws Freelancer and Mime into the mix.

I want Pure Chaos with duplicates.

I also THINK that 750 is divided between jobs that can and jobs that can't use rods.

oh okay thanks, PC sounds like what I'm looking for besides the chance to roll freelancer

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FWIW freelancer is actually pretty useful in a fiesta setting.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yeah, even ignoring "just break rods for literally everything" Freelancer can use any weapon and armor in the game. They're very powerful just on their own, and can suck up a lot of useful things from your other jobs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I would genuinely pay RK :20bux: if he'd just add #dupes as a modifier that can be applied to any run type.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I need to get in on this.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

One week until preregistration!

Get psyched

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Just want to take a moment to express sheer shock at this thread being in Games, when there's a Retro Games forum now with low enough traffic that it's practically as good as being stickied there. How any of you were even able to notice this thread shuffling behind the several dozen high traffic threads it has to compete for attention with in Games is beyond me. I couldn't search for it either.

Anyway I just put in a report to have the thread moved. I'm assuming most of you just have it favorited anyway and for anyone else it'll be a lot easier to check in on in Retro Games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The thread gets stickied every year when preregistration starts though?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Maltose posted:

The thread gets stickied every year when preregistration starts though?
This, plus also we like to chat and nobody clicks on Retro Games anyways, says the guy who clicks on Retro Games. How else do we get new blood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Strictly speaking ads tend to work better for that than stickies.