Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Lord Bude posted:

She's Australian.

Yeah, I bothered to actually read up a bit on her after your comment. I probably would quit the show too based on how much harassment she seems to have gotten for taking the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm now thinking of Andre Bauer as Commander Kane and I cannot stop.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TV Line is reporting that Rose became a pill to deal with on the set because she wasn't ready for the long shooting hours and she didn't like being in Vancouver, so ultimately neither side wanted to continue.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Timby posted:

TV Line is reporting that Rose became a pill to deal with on the set because she wasn't ready for the long shooting hours and she didn't like being in Vancouver, so ultimately neither side wanted to continue.

I'd be a pill to work with if the stunt team almost caused me to get paralyzed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

One of the things all the leads on the CW shows say is that shooting them is a total grind, so I totally get how somebody could say "you know what, on second thought no" after going through it for a year.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't think this is necessarily CW being different than other networks - shooting a network action drama for 20+ episodes each year takes a hell of a toll on people.

Its a tradeoff in that you get a super secure role but also have to basically turn away any other acting roles - Amell is kind've the exception in that he was the very definition of a workhorse who could handle that grind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The CW leads usually tend to be in most of the episodes. The supporting cast gets split up and moved around in their little sub plots more. I think Amell said in season 5 or so that he worked on every episode but EBR and DPR worked a full third less than he did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea TV Schedules are pretty notorious for being a lot of work, but you have a secure job unless it gets canceled after a few episodes and once shooting wraps up for the season you usually get a decent amount of time off before the next season starts shooting. This is the way its been for ages. Maybe she thought she could handle it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One article called her a "name too big for TV" and I was puzzled by that. Her appearance in John Wick is her highest profile gig by a long country mile and she's by no means a household name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spacebump posted:

I'd be a pill to work with if the stunt team almost caused me to get paralyzed.

There's that, but there's also the abuse allegations.

Rhyno posted:

One article called her a "name too big for TV" and I was puzzled by that. Her appearance in John Wick is her highest profile gig by a long country mile and she's by no means a household name.

Yeah, I can see the 'well she's a movie actress who didn't like the grind' which is not the same as being a big star because she isn't, but she does mostly do movies before aside from that Orange is the New Black stretch. And if she thought shooting 20+ episodes was going to be like that, no wonder she might have called an audible.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

She may not be a huge star but at the time I remember it being a pretty big get for CW casting her.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

nooneofconsequence posted:

She may not be a huge star but at the time I remember it being a pretty big get for CW casting her.

I was surprised that she had signed on to do the show. She had been in John Wick 2, The Meg, etc. I thought movies were going to be her thing.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Lol at all the comments on YouTube that are like "yeah life time of complications after potential paralysis causing accident, that's what you get for being a sjw" :wtc:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/AlainaHuffman/status/1262976375494815744

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh, that’d be a good choice. In my view, anyone from Stargate Universe deserves any role they want to have in recompense for MGM and SyFy loving them all over like they did.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 20, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get Asia Kate Dillon to do it. Keep the whole OITNB and John Wick alumni thing going.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

honestly i'm surprised if i see an actor speak out of character and they speak in some American accent. I swear it seems they're all British or Australian these days, which I have no personal issue with.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

honestly i'm surprised if i see an actor speak out of character and they speak in some American accent. I swear it seems they're all British or Australian these days, which I have no personal issue with.

The new Bruce is Irish, Batwoman was Australian and her dad is Scottish.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

The new Bruce is Irish, Batwoman was Australian and her dad is Scottish.

I'm just glad it's not a bad Bruce casting like in Titans.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Did no one here watch the third xXx movie??

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Did no one here watch the third xXx movie??

I did, it's the best xXx.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spacebump posted:

I did, it's the best xXx.

First is still my favorite because they were trying to be serious and not lean into the camp but third embraces it well

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spacebump posted:

I'm just glad it's not a bad Bruce casting like in Titans.

You shut the gently caress up. He's amazing.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

I don't recall them doing an actor swap on the same character, who we talking about?

Or do you just mean the replacement of the commander of the station?

Not really a main, headlining character, but N'toth (Julie Caitlin Brown) was played by by a different actress in season 2 (Mary Kay Adams) and then the original one again in season 5.

This has been your daily dose of irrelevant nerd trivia. You're very welcome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fumblemouse posted:

Not really a main, headlining character, but N'toth (Julie Caitlin Brown) was played by by a different actress in season 2 (Mary Kay Adams) and then the original one again in season 5.

This has been your daily dose of irrelevant nerd trivia. You're very welcome.

Narns are covered head to toe in makeup and clothing, so its easy to change a actor in that case.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Narns are covered head to toe in makeup and clothing, so its easy to change a actor in that case.

never take off the batsuit, problem solved

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

twistedmentat posted:

I think the record is probably in Farscape, where Ben Browder's wife played a different weird alien that tried to kill her husband's character in every single season.

Edit: Four different characters in four seasons, and also the miniseries.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 22, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jade Tailor (from The Magicians) has also expressed interest in getting the part.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Jade Tailor (from The Magicians) has also expressed interest in getting the part.

Oooooh great option, I like her. She's got presence and charisma. apparently trained in krav maga too

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although I do kind of wonder, how often does an actor publicly campaigning for a character actually work out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sloth Life posted:

Oooooh great option, I like her. She's got presence and charisma. apparently trained in krav maga too

And she can sing so there's definitely musical potential!

Although I do kind of wonder, how often does an actor publicly campaigning for a character actually work out?

Tom Welling was pushing to be cast as Superman on Supergirl, he made a few Twitter posts from the gym with stuff like "Getting into Super Shape again!" but when it went nowhere he deleted all of it. He also claims he was never interested in it now but hey, he got to revisit eventually.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Please no.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It already started eh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

replace Ruby Rose with Ruby Rhod

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I can't off hand recall any actor willing themselves into a major part through a publicity campaign. I don't think casting directors like being told what to do.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

esperterra posted:

replace Ruby Rose with Ruby Rhod

Bruce. Bruce my man. Iiiiii ain't got no batarangs :stonk:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I like the Jade Tailor idea, she was great on The Magicians. And she pulls off the same kind of "tough and damaged" vibe that I think Ruby was going for most of the time.

Unfortunately most of my fantasy casting is hampered by not knowing which actresses fall into the "member of the LGBTQ community" category that the producers seem committed to.

Edit: Didn't Donald Glover end up voicing Spiderman in some animated show after that whole campaign? Not the same thing obviously, but pretty close.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 22, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

howe_sam posted:

I can't off hand recall any actor willing themselves into a major part through a publicity campaign. I don't think casting directors like being told what to do.

Maybe Henry Cavill for The Witcher?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The reason Sophie Turner got the part of Jean Grey is because she had a huge social media following. Granted that was for a film but I think the principle stands, if you have it flaunt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Didn't the guy who recently get cast as Shang-Chi for the MCU campaign hard for it? I seem to remember at least one of the recent Marvel/Disney+ castings being a case of someone tweeting about wanting the role real bad before getting cast