Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Omnicarus posted:

Just remember everyone: You can Alt + Left Click on an item to favorite it and it'll get a gold border that won't let you sell it, trash it, or Deposit All it.

Thank you. I never learned how to do that and every time I Deposit All by mistake I think, I should google that and I just never did.

Wow - my first decent snipe! Have some useful info, thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Another good one is alt+f4 turns on performance mode if you're seeing some lag from the background but dont want to disable it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For the tower defense thing, I used my sky road for starters. I put 2 lightning traps right in front of one portal and that will take care of all enemies until the wyverns, save sometimes a javelin guy will get through but only take one hit. Then put another two on the other side. From there its a combination of ballistas and fire rods midway between portal and crystal and a couple close to the crystal as well. It can be overwhelming but make sure to collect the mana and create more as it becomes available.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I didn't know the Alt click to favourite thing until I was watching some videos before the 1.4 launch and put it together in my head that that was a base feature and not a mod :)

Makes it easier to mark the important items to save before you just dump out your whole inventory/accidentally trash everything instead of transferring it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It also locks items items in place, so you can actually have a nice and properly ordered inventory where things stay exactly where you want them to be even if you like to use the auto-sort feature a lot. Since the game decides which items to use based on their place in your inventory if you have multiple varieties of (for example) healing potions, this can be more useful than you might expect.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I started a new world and actually I've changed my mind, this is way too slow and easy. I need a fast forward button like a proper tower defence.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just a heads up, sounds like we’re taking my journey server to hard mode tonight so we have the weekend to play with the resultant situation.

Plan is currently: ~8PM Central time, we murder the Brisket Tower, so be there!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Deformed Church posted:

I started a new world and actually I've changed my mind, this is way too slow and easy. I need a fast forward button like a proper tower defence.

Journey, solo, Master, 10x.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The new Potion of Return is pretty awesome. You can find it in shadow chests or craft it my mixing recall potions with Obsidifish. It basically works like that modded version of the magic mirror: it teleports you back home and then gives you a one-time use portal that takes you right back to where you teleported from. Insanely good to just unload all your excess items and then jump right back into exploring. I'm definitely gonna spend some time lava-fishing and craft a whole pile of these.
Don't sell off all your recall potions after you get the magic mirror!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

"Hey, I should make a glowing mushroom farm, what's the worst that could happen?"

I overwrite my biome.

That's the worst that could happen.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Woden posted:

I spent hours looking for a lava charm before giving up and getting them from a world seed.

Same but also for the water walking boots.

Omnicarus posted:

Just remember everyone: You can Alt + Left Click on an item to favorite it and it'll get a gold border that won't let you sell it, trash it, or Deposit All it.

Haha gently caress I'm pretty sure I knew this like 5 years ago but had completely forgotten about it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

BisbyWorl posted:

"Hey, I should make a glowing mushroom farm, what's the worst that could happen?"

I overwrite my biome.

That's the worst that could happen.

Not gonna lie the giant mushrooms towering over trees looks really cool in a weird, apocalyptic way.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
does anyone have any advice on building an arena/tactics for fighting the EoW in expert? I keep getting murked by the acid spit it throws out in Expert while trying to stay out of the way of its fat rear end.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Internet Kraken posted:

Do hallow/evil biome blocks convert msuhroom grass mud into their biome?

on the surface, yes

in caves, they'll turn it into dirt and then stop because biome grass can't grow underground, so you'll just lose a bit of the edge

:siren: this also applies to the jungle people constantly freak out about needing to protect the jungle in hardmode but you can't lose the underground jungle :siren:

Nick Esasky posted:

does anyone have any advice on building an arena/tactics for fighting the EoW in expert? I keep getting murked by the acid spit it throws out in Expert while trying to stay out of the way of its fat rear end.

grenades, buy a shitload and just throw them at it as fast as you can and after a few seconds the dying segments will drop hearts faster than it can damage you

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 22, 2020

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i finally got the terraspark boots, the cellphone and ankh shield took less grinding combined

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Pretty sure our entire desert turned into Hallow - any way I can fix that? I essentially do not have a desert biome in one of the worlds at all as far as I can tell....

President Ark
May 16, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

Pretty sure our entire desert turned into Hallow - any way I can fix that? I essentially do not have a desert biome in one of the worlds at all as far as I can tell....

i don't think there's anything that the desert getting hallowed/evil'd locks you out of, you can still make glass with the sand and the same mobs still spawn there

e: and the desert getting hallowed/evil'd is basically inevitable because they spread through it like wildfire

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 22, 2020

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Nick Esasky posted:

Alternatively, spiky balls from goblin invasion. Grapple onto a ceiling and just throw them down.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

President Ark posted:

i don't think there's anything that the desert getting hallowed/evil'd locks you out of, you can still make glass with the sand and the same mobs still spawn there

hallowed desert still counts as desert when it comes to the pylon but not when it comes to npc happiness, evil desert is just straight up not inhabitable

President Ark
May 16, 2010

watho posted:

hallowed desert still counts as desert when it comes to the pylon but not when it comes to npc happiness, evil desert is just straight up not inhabitable

oh, well then your best bet is probably converting a floating island into a desert (it's dead easy you just need a bunch of sand) and putting the npcs there if you really need it for something

like i said, keeping desert pure is extremely hard because of how fast the contagious biomes spreads through it

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Farg posted:

hey my keyboard suddenly refuses to work in this game. i've tried unplugging, restarting, and validating game files. what gives

pls you gotba help me

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Farg posted:

pls you gotba help me

Did your configuration get changed? If for whatever reason all your keybinds are cleared that would do it.

Additionally, test if the game will let you type in an IP address for multiplayer or a name for a new character/world. If the answer to those is "yes" then your problem is entirely ingame as opposed to the Terraria executable in general.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

President Ark posted:

on the surface, yes

in caves, they'll turn it into dirt and then stop because biome grass can't grow underground, so you'll just lose a bit of the edge

:siren: this also applies to the jungle people constantly freak out about needing to protect the jungle in hardmode but you can't lose the underground jungle :siren:

grenades, buy a shitload and just throw them at it as fast as you can and after a few seconds the dying segments will drop hearts faster than it can damage you

I had really good luck with Jester Arrows since they penetrate. I would fire a few off and multiple segment parts would melt away.

Expert mode feels like the right level of difficulty for me. I've been fighting the bosses normally in normal mode and then trying the expert variant. Except King Slime because lol it's King Slime.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Rosalie_A posted:

Did your configuration get changed? If for whatever reason all your keybinds are cleared that would do it.

Additionally, test if the game will let you type in an IP address for multiplayer or a name for a new character/world. If the answer to those is "yes" then your problem is entirely ingame as opposed to the Terraria executable in general.

alternately, do you have a game controller (xbox, whatever) plugged in, the game might be trying to read input from that

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

watho posted:

Yup that's my issue with it - salty NPCs.

Sky island is a good idea.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Does anyone have a design for a compact fishing biome farm that works this patch? My old one doesn't work any more and I have no idea what they changed.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Found out the answer for my moves slow problem. Hermes boots!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My desert town where I've got a pylon and a fishing spot is pretty close to the corruption, it's slightly overlapping the desert. It's safe for now becayse I have not activated hard mode, but I'm going to dig a brick-lined trench at some point to protect it. What's the maximum distance evil can jump once hardmode is activated?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If it hasn't changed, everything within 3 tiles is susceptible, so you want at least a four-tile gap.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I helped my boys get to hardmode but haven’t done much with it on my own. Is the contamination spread fast enough that firewalling everything is needed? My jungle in the world I’m trying to keep pretty and nice is surrounded on both sides by corruption, to the extent that I’d have to cut out a bunch of jungle and make a lot of slow sideways cuts. I expect once I start hard mode I can get the clentaminator pretty quickly, but I’ve never actually used it to know what the trade offs are in using it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Velius posted:

I helped my boys get to hardmode but haven’t done much with it on my own. Is the contamination spread fast enough that firewalling everything is needed? My jungle in the world I’m trying to keep pretty and nice is surrounded on both sides by corruption, to the extent that I’d have to cut out a bunch of jungle and make a lot of slow sideways cuts. I expect once I start hard mode I can get the clentaminator pretty quickly, but I’ve never actually used it to know what the trade offs are in using it.

:siren: HARDMODE EVIL CAN'T DESTROY THE UNDERGROUND JUNGLE BECAUSE BIOME GRASS DOESN'T GROW UNDERGROUND. IT CAN ONLY DAMAGE THE SURFACE JUNGLE AND SLIGHTLY ALTER THE EDGES :siren:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Velius posted:

That really depends on how long you plan to play the map. Personally, I never cared enough to bother and preferred to build an off-world location for my housing and storage needs, but eventually it will spread to cover everthing. Going at it with the Clentaminator occasionally and cutting back all the surface spread is usually enough to keep it manageable, though.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Farg posted:

pls you gotba help me
There's a known bug where steam cloud fucks up controller config since it changed behind the scenes in 1.4 and it keeps trying to load the old version. Disable steam cloud for terraria, load terraria as admin and set your config how you like, and should be good to go after that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

President Ark posted:

:siren: HARDMODE EVIL CAN'T DESTROY THE UNDERGROUND JUNGLE BECAUSE BIOME GRASS DOESN'T GROW UNDERGROUND. IT CAN ONLY DAMAGE THE SURFACE JUNGLE AND SLIGHTLY ALTER THE EDGES :siren:

I'm fairly sure the spawn can because my underground jungle housing turned invalid because it was in an evil biome.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm fairly sure the spawn can because my underground jungle housing turned invalid because it was in an evil biome.

the first time you kill the wall of flesh two giant stripes of your world's evil and the hallow appear in a big "v" shape and if that intersects the jungle it'll overwrite it, but it won't spread from there and no amount of terraforming can prevent it from happening, it's basically just dumb luck

e: and even then, i'm pretty sure this initial stripe will only corrupt stone, it can't do anything to subterranean mud because again biome grass doesn't grow underground, so you'll wind up with a stripe of jungle with a bunch of corrupted rocks embedded in the walls that can't spread

e2: look at this fuckin' map i found here. do you see how much fuckin' jungle there is even with the surface jungle completely gone and the corruption stripe intersecting it? it's because the underground jungle is immune! stop worrying about it and wasting your time on giant terraforming projects! the underground jungle is fine, you can't lose it!

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 22, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

if anyone else asks "hey uhhhh do i gotta dig a three-mile trench around the jungle to stop it being corrupted? i don't want to get stuck!" i'm gonna poo poo

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

President Ark posted:

the first time you kill the wall of flesh two giant stripes of your world's evil and the hallow appear in a big "v" shape and if that intersects the jungle it'll overwrite it, but it won't spread from there and no amount of terraforming can prevent it from happening, it's basically just dumb luck

e: and even then, i'm pretty sure this initial stripe will only corrupt stone, it can't do anything to subterranean mud because again biome grass doesn't grow underground, so you'll wind up with a stripe of jungle with a bunch of corrupted rocks embedded in the walls that can't spread

e2: look at this fuckin' map i found here. do you see how much fuckin' jungle there is even with the surface jungle completely gone and the corruption stripe intersecting it? it's because the underground jungle is immune! stop worrying about it and wasting your time on giant terraforming projects! the underground jungle is fine, you can't lose it!

This is both correct and wrong.
Corruption can turn mud into dirt and spread through that, but in 1.4 the special ore that spawns in the jungle actively prevents corruption from spreading and will actually turn dirt back into mud.

Edit: For more detailed info on this than any person could reasonably want, the wiki page:
https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Biome_spread

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Peachfart posted:

This is both correct and wrong.
Corruption can turn mud into dirt and spread through that, but in 1.4 the special ore that spawns in the dungeon actively prevents corruption from spreading and will actually turn dirt back into mud.

Except biome-specific grass other than the mud ones (jungle grass and mushroom grass) can't spread underground. Have you ever seen corruption grass in the cave layer ever? No, just corruption/crimson biomes made entirely of stone with bare-rear end dirt patches scattered around. Because the biome grass only grows on the surface. And you know what the jungle is? Almost entirely mud with very little stone. So while on the surface, the process goes

1. The corruption removes the grass from the mud
2. The corruption turns the mud into dirt
3. The corruption grows grass on the dirt
4. Repeat with the next tile,

underground it's

3. loving nothing happens because corrupt grass doesn't grow underground.

Like, don't you think it's funny that despite everyone being terrified of this happening, there's never been a screenshot of the underground jungle fully corrupted? I can't find one. Because they don't exist. Because it can't happen.

And that wiki you posted proves me right!

quote:

Grass does not spread below the surface whatsoever.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 22, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

President Ark posted:

Except biome-specific grass other than the mud ones (jungle grass and mushroom grass) can't spread underground. Have you ever seen corruption grass in the cave layer ever? No, just corruption/crimson biomes made entirely of stone with bare-rear end dirt patches scattered around. Because the biome grass only grows on the surface. And you know what the jungle is? Almost entirely mud with very little stone. So while on the surface, the process goes

3. The corruption grows grass on the dirt,

underground it's

3. loving nothing happens because corrupt grass doesn't grow underground.

Like, don't you think it's funny that despite everyone being terrified of this happening, there's never been a screenshot of the underground jungle fully corrupted? I can't find one. Because they don't exist. Because it can't happen.

And that wiki you posted proves me right!

Did you read the part titled: Hardmode Spread?

"In Hardmode, the pre-Hardmode grass spreading remains unchanged. However, many more tiles become susceptible to conversion and will spread much faster. Read the table in the following way: Any of the spreading tiles can convert any of the pure tiles that is within three tiles from it to the respective converted tile."

Look at the listed tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Yes. On the surface. It can't spread underground because corrupt grass doesn't grow underground.